Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    crawdadkingcrawdadking Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the response. I took my Honda to an independent garage in Gresham (Orient Honda) for every checkup from 30k. My son found the place when he lived in Gresham. I was never dissapointed. In fact the owner bought my car with 156k for his wife. I'm really going to miss that place. He only works on Hondas and Acuras so I'm searching again.

I checked the prices on Subaru-Parts and they look about the same as subaruparts.com. I could have gotten our Sube form Thomason for a little less than I paid Bud Clary but I gave them the business because I liked the salesman and they are only 35 miles away. Now it looks like I should have bought from Thomason in the first place. Will probably wind up in Portland for major service anyway. I'll check out Wentworth.

Thanks again
    Guy
  • Options
    ckfreundckfreund Member Posts: 24
    The Chicago Tribune printed the J.D. Powers intial quality ranking in the Sunday edition. I was disappointed to see Subaru ranked 31 out of 37.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Guy: I agree, it's hard to find a stand-alone Subaru dealer. I would prefer that, too.

Subaru had lots of new models in the past year (VDC, LL Bean, and the whole Impreza line), and perhaps a few more teething issues than usual. Still, that study measures just 90 days of data, and you're under warranty anyway. I care far more about reliability 4-5 years down the road. Consumer Reports ranked Subaru #7 out of all manufacturers, not too shabby.

BTW, Forester won JD Power's APEAL study last year for its class, and was 3rd best in the IQ study, too.

-juice
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    If your car has sun roofs,(you did not say whether it was a limited or not) The drain is probably plugged.

I had this happen on a couple of my accords with factory sun roofs.

If no sunroof then I would probably guess that the roof rail mounting bolts are not tight and could be missing a gasket entirely, has been known to happen.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Pat -

My wife just heard from the dealer - they're going to replace the sunroof (I don't know if that means one or both - of if that's even an option).

I know about the sunroof drains - I've had a number of cars with sunroofs. My '97 Max has one (pop-up or slide back), and when I lived in Texas I always left the roof popped to vent the heat when I parked it for any time. As a result, I had to regularly clean out the four "corner" drains where tree debris accumulated. Apparently it's beyond that with the OB.

Good thing it [finally] rained hard before the warranty ran out!

Cheers from the PNW,

Ken M.
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    It's raining over here too... a lot!
    You must have had some surplus... thanks!

All we can hope for now... Go Diamondbacks!

Cheers! from the former "dry side" (Spokane)
    Paul
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    aren't we pushing for the Yankees? ;)

Please send some rain here. Not a drop in 14 days. The new grass seed isn't happening.

As for initial quality - I have to agree. My impression so far is that Subaru needs to improve on that. But, I agree with Juice. Long term reliability is paramount and I expect a long happy relationship with our OB now that I had the initial items addressed.

Greg
  • Options
    sibbaldsibbald Member Posts: 106
    Glad to send you some Canadian gallons, they are larger as you know than American gallons. Lately, it isn't if it is raining, but how hard is it raining. Oh well, :-{ but wait....
    Maui on my mind, just one week to go!! :~)

Cheers, Tom in Victoria B.C.
  • Options
    en5en5 Member Posts: 9
    I hope you guys can help me with this. First of all I'd like to say that I love my Legacy wagon, it's been trouble free until now.
    It's a 2000 Legacy L wagon with 16000km( I know it's almost nothing ) on it and for the last couple of months I've been experiencing a problem with a vibration of the steering wheel while driving at 55 to 70mph, the strange thing about it is that it comes and goes, it's very inconsistent, it's mostly noticable when the car is cold, however there are days that it's as smooth as a table, it starts to drive me nuts, my other car which is 98 with 60000km on it doesn't even have a tinny bit of vibration at any speed.
    I took it to the dealer, they couldn't reproduce the problem.
    I had the wheels rebalanced at a local tire shop, still no help. Last week I switched the original wheels with potenzas for a winter tire set on new rims, still no help. At this point I can safely say it's not the wheels.What else can this be?
    I would appreciate any help you could give me.
  • Options
    sten2sten2 Member Posts: 31
    I also have a 2000 Legacy wagon...but I think that is just coincidence. I had a very similar problem. When the tires were cold they tended to cause a vibration. After they warmed up they no longer caused any vibration. It only occurred at highway speeds. I also had some periods of pulling one direction. Over the duration of this problem the pulling disapeared as the tires were worn, but the vibration stayed. I took about 4 visits to the dealer and a test drive with the head mechanic to convince them this was a real problem that was easily fixed. It turned out to be an alignment problem, just as I had thought from day one. After they had replaced my front stuts they didn't get it aligned correctly.

I can't say this is your problem too, but check out the following link. It will help you diagnose yours.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/vibechart.htm

• Options
    hiker6hiker6 Member Posts: 10
    I recently passed two years and 33k miles on my ’00 L 5 spd wagon, and have been pleased with its performance to date. I have had no problems with the car (initial or later) and still like the way the car performs. The car still feels zippy with the 2.5 l engine, and has been good in mountain driving. I bought the L instead of the Outback because I preferred the monochrome paint to the cladding and two tone paint of the Outback, and I have not yet encountered any situations where I have needed the extra inch of clearance of the Outback (this includes an extended stay in Montana last winter) so I am still happy with my choice. The gas mileage has averaged 26.4 mpg for all driving combined over 33k miles (this includes a commute that is 80% rural roads). The only minor annoyance has been that leaving the parking brake engaged for 10 days at the airport during a humid summer period led to some rust and a rough spot in the brakes, which still make a slight thumping noise when braking. This also happened to my previous Toyota and thus is not unique to Subaru’s. The car is still on the original tires, which appear to have some miles left in them. I would definitely recommend the car to someone looking for a midsize wagon, particularly in climates where the AWD is useful in winter.
  • Options
    Similar situation occurred to me when I switched to after-market wheels - turns out the hub hole was too big, and the wheels, when mounted, were off-center. A set of hub hole inserts cured the problem. If you're not using OEM Subaru wheels, this might be an issue. The wheels will balance just fine off the car, but wobble like crazy on the car.

Just my $.02 - keep the change!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    "We" aren't necessarily rooting for the Yankees... after what they did to the Mariners!
    You can if you want to... :)

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    kturner1kturner1 Member Posts: 33
    I've got some water or sap spots/areas on my windshield that I can't get off. It looks perfectly clear when dry, but after a wiper pass the spots and foggy areas appear. It is especially noticable with oncoming headlights. After a few seconds the spots clear up until another wiper pass. I've tried Prolong Super Windex, Bon Ami, and some clear coat swirl remover. Some have recommended very fine steel wool. Glass can be scratched, though. Any ideas?
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Could be a greasy windshield or old wipers? I know when my wipers get old they smear pretty badly. Also when there is a lot of grime on it it can appear like that. The 3rd thing is if you used rain-x and then stopped. That can cause that too.

-mike
  • Options
    sten2sten2 Member Posts: 31
    I had similar spots on my 2000 L; they were especially annoying at night. Mine were from water marks. I used fine steel wool with water or window cleaning fluid. You don't need very much pressure. You can scratch windshields, but this didn't at all. Afterwards I applied rain-x and have had no reoccurrence.
  • Options
    dervishdervish Member Posts: 19
    My car behaves strangely when driving slowly in first gear (looking for a parking space, etc...) the transmission would pop the gear back out to neutral. It's annoying!

I post this message a few months back and have not heard any respond. Apparently the problem is unique. I'm going to take it in this Thanksgiving vacation. Just hope it won't take too long...
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    dervish,

I had that problem on a Toyota Camry - we never did find out why it happened. Ideas, anyone?

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    Good Morning. Let the dealer check it out. You don't mention your year or model, but some earlier models had a bulletin on this (I think). Let us know what the dealer says?

Patti
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Dervish -

I've known of several folks over the years with various brands of manual transmissions that would occasionally pop out of gear. No particular brand of car - and no particular gear, for that matter. I had a mid-80s Dodge that did it VERY occasionally (once or twice a year), and, as I recall, it was third gear (of a 5-speed).

I'd guess it's a minor linkage flaw. At least yours is first gear - where you presumably don't spend much time. It's an obvious suggestion - but make sure you "snick" the shifter as far forward as it will go in first. I realize you've probably already done that. Unless it gets worse, or is a safety issue, I'd live with it rather than have the tranny/linkage torn down. No guarantee they'd find it anyway.

Reminds me of '75 Audi Fox I had that had something in the linkage break (it was a 4-speed) - couldn't get it into reverse (which was left and forward). The four forward gears worked - as though the whole linkage assembly had shifted to the left - blocking access to reverse. Of course, it broke while facing forward down my steep driveway - right up against the garage. A couple of neighbors and I eventually pushed it around enough where I could drive forward and off to get it fixed. Troublesome car the whole time.

Cheers from the PNW!

Ken M.
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    One trick for gears that pop out -- hold it in by hand! A friend did that with an old Volvo for a while.

It is only for first gear in your case. Is 2nd too high in parking lots with a bit of clutch applied?
  • Options
    Ken had that problem with his 98 Forester and Subaru I believe rebuilt the transmission, Ken?

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    In Ottawa today first of the year, looking forward to driving the GT in snow but hate the thoughts of my pride and joy covered in salt and crap for the next 5 months.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Steering wheel vibrates? I'd look at the front wheels, and since you already have, the front suspension. Could even be the wheel bearings, which are prone to fail if over-torqued.

hien: there was a TSB (technical service bulletin) for that popping out of 1st gear problem. Patti's right, I had seen it a while back. The dealer ought to be familiar with the fix for that problem.

-juice
  • Options
    sibbaldsibbald Member Posts: 106
    You stated that after engaging your parking brake at the airport for 10 days, you now have a slight thumping noise when braking.

The parking brake is a seperate system from the disk brakes. Are you using your parking brake for braking? If so, it will not last very long as it is a very small mechanical brake shoe and drum system only designed for parking and emergencies. If not, which is what I suspect, you may want to have your brakes checked by a dealer.

Cheers, Tom
  • Options
    dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    Has anyone put their own aftermarket wheels, and upgraded tires on a new OB - if so, how much of an allowance did you get for leaving the stockers with the dealer?

And how's performance of the stock Bridgestone Potenzas on the '02 s anyway?
  • Options
    Having grown up with a manual in hilly country, I always set the parking brake by habit whenever parking. I assume that extended brake contact in humid weather leads to some rusting since I encountered the same problem in earlier cars of a grating noise when first driving after the car has been parked for many days, and the noise diminishes after applying the brakes a number of times. My brakes were inspected at the 30k inspection (the service manager was told of the noise) and work normally except except for the very subtle thumping noise that has persisted. Obviously the parking brake is used only for parking.
  • Options
    taxman10taxman10 Member Posts: 59
    I bought an '01 Bean in July that had the then standard Firestone Wilderness tires. Begged the dealer to keep them and give an allowance - no sale. I doubt that dealers are interested in this unless you buy the replacements from them at their markup - they are not in the tire business.
    I'd get the tires ( Tirerack?)and try to sell the OE rubber privately - that's what I'm doing.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    subaru parking brakes are like the 4wd trucks from japan that have 4 wheel disc brakes.

There is a separate parking brake system that pushes a drum-like brake against your rotors when you apply the parking brake. It doesn't use the caliper that is used for regular braking.

-mike
  • Options
    oobeoobe Member Posts: 10
    Hello everybody

Have a question. I bought a new OB 01 around a year ago and noticed that when I step on the gas, it hesitates a bit and then accelerates. I asked the dealer and they said that lot of people complained about this and they found nothing wrong with the car. They just recommended that I use a brand name gasoline.

I do use brand name gas, BP and it still hesitates when I step on the gas. Any thoughts or comments. Thanks
  • Options
    sb69coupesb69coupe Member Posts: 21
    Well, I went ahead and took the car off the dealers lot. Background: I ordered a Regatta Red LL Bean in late September, but one showed up at the dealer optioned like I ordered. I went out today and took delivery. I paid $10 over invoice before taxes and tags.

So far, I'm happy as a clam. I like the upgraded sound system with subwoofer and 6-disc changer. I was on the fence over this new red or the Winestone on the 2001. I'm glad I waited for the '02. I like the color alot.

So, expect a few questions and comments from me now that I've officially joined the ranks of Subaru ownership.

Shannon
  • Options
    British Petroleum? Aren't the brits known for having invented intermittent wipers? By accident? ;-)

Congrats Shannon. I haven't seen the color in person yet, actually.

-juice
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I am going to assume that Subaru 4 wheel disks are fundamentally like those found on Toyota products, and the same potential problems apply. If not, just shoot me down..... :-)

If you look between the spokes of your alloy wheels at the center hub of your disk brakes (lug bolt region), you will notice that the rear hub is considerably larger than the front. This larger hub is actually a miniature drum brake. It contains shoes on the order of 3" or so, whose sole purpose is to act as a cable operated parking brake. There is no practical way to actuate the hydraulic disk brake caliper mechanically, thus the use of a redundant braking element. Unlike normal automotive rear drum brakes, these mini's usually lack auto adjusters on the star gear that sets the baseline shoe-to-drum clearance (or wear compensation), so it has to be done manually. Some can be done as a pre-tension adjustment on the cable at the parking brake handle, some must be done thru a port hole in the mini drum itself.

Disk brakes are different in that they are always in 'contact'. They have very little travel when you push or release the brake. When relaxed, they only back off a fraction of a mm.

When you park for an extended period, several things can happen:

The mechanical components of the cable system may not fully retract, resulting in continued partial contact. Driving vibration may cause final movement in the assembly, or the contact spot may wear down when you start driving. As no drum is perfectly round, this may be felt as a pulsing. Jack up the tire and give it a spin. You may feel the 'high' spots as drag on rotation.

It is also possible that grease or other contaminants may be on the drum shoe, causing it to 'stick' to the drum. Chemical reactions can pit or damage the surfaces.

The other thing that can happen is that the close disk pad tolerance can block air and moisture. This area will remain unoxidized, while the rest of the rotor will rust. When you start moving, you scrub off the oxide, but this leaves the rotor thinner on 90% of the surface, with a high spot where the pad protected. Usually the difference in height is measureable in microns, and cannot be felt. But sometimes the iron has what some call 'soft spots', or material discontinuities that can increase the effect. Again, it usually evens out with driving, may need resurfacing, or even replacement.

Hope this helps,

Steve
  • Options
    goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    Juice, if you think that's going to get a rise out me you're mistaken! We Brits know that we are superior to lesser mortals and the stiff uppper lip will not even quiver.
  • Options
    Hey, Brazilians and Brits are now partnering to build one of the coolest cult cars ever - the new Mini. I just hope our engines are reliable enough for those very cool little cars.

-juice
  • Options
    outback165outback165 Member Posts: 108
    First of all, Shannon - $10 over invoice for a '02 Bean sounds great! Congrats, and the Regatta red is gorgeous -- even prettier in person. Welcome to the happy club of Subaru Owners. Are you anywhere close to Ft Lauderdale? I'm still trying to get my 6th for a Soobie gathering!!!

John Lee: You are not alone with your hesitation problem. I've been to my dealer a couple of times on this issue, and even had a test drive with the district rep. There is a person on the Forester board with an S+ with the same problem we're having. Definitely tell your dealer and try to take a test drive with your district rep in case there are more cases not posted on Edmunds. Also, the Forester guy and I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason as to exactly what causes the hesitation. Can you?

Now, I need the board's help and advice with tires: For the last 6500 miles, I have been back to the dealer approx 5 times for steering wheel vibration problem that feels a lot like a tire is out of balance. They have rotated, re-rotated, balanced, rebalanced, etc., the tires and finally sent me to the Firestone dealer to have them evaluated. Firestone said there is nothing wrong. The dealer said it is Firestone's problem because SOA doesn't warranty the tires. Sooooo I called Firestone back, and they told me to have the dealer switch wheels and tires from a brand new Outback to my car and see if that solves the problem.

So, this morning, between 7:30 and 12 noon, the service manager at my dealer went for a test drive in my car. Then we drove a brand new outback, THEN he had the wheels and tires switched to my car and we went back out and the car was fine (drove just like the 0 mile car). 12:30 I was back at Firestone and told them I did as they asked, so they said, "Oh, OK, no problem, we'll swap out the tires then!" 2 hours later they came out to the waiting area (where I had made friends with a 92 year old guy who was putting his first set of new tires on his 87 Buick with 24,000 miles on it! Anyhow, I digress...) and tell me that they don't have any replacement tires (the Wilderness) and had a different tire for me: the BT70 22560R16 97S. The difference with my tire being the S vs. H rating. The tire has a 70K warranty, great wet handling and performance, but only speed rated for S. The guy at Firestone said I will really notice improved handling in the rain we get in Sunny South Florida, as well as a quieter and smoother ride. The owners manual says to use H speed rating though, so the guy said he could get in Wilderness HT's which are made for light trucks and will be more like the tires on my car now. I must say, I was intrigued by the quieter, smoother ride, and better handling in the rain...

Then I asked him about the Potenzas that are on the '02s. He said that would be an "upgrade" (...???) but would check with the manager who was out today.

SO, MY QUESTION to the board is which tires should I take, and why? Is the difference between the S and the H a big deal? Does anyone know what the HT's are like? Why are the Potenzas an upgrade? (and please, more then just "It's a better tire- I got that from Firestone!!") Please advise. Also, if you have guidance on any other Firestone tire, please let me know.

Thanks, I really appreciate your input on this!

OB165
  • Options
    david55838david55838 Member Posts: 55
    I took delivery of my '02 OB 5-speed in Timberline green last Saturday. What a pleasure! The driving position is great. The ride is pretty smooth on our potholed roads. The stereo sounds just fine (base stereo with tweeter kit). The engine is surprisingly smooth, and the 5-speed shifts well. Only got 130 miles on it, so I'm taking it very easy for break in, but I think this is the start of a long happy relationship. My only quibble is the steering wheel is ever so slightly off center, but not enough to even bother with. I'm happy to be part of the group.

David
  • Options
    david55838david55838 Member Posts: 55
    My dealer told me that the Bridgestone Potenzas on my '02 are the SAME tire as the Wilderness AT tires, just rebadged for obvious reasons. I can't confirm that this is true, but you know that Firestone and Bridgestone are the same company. If that is true, then it shouldn't be an 'upgrade'.

David
  • Options
    S ratings are for a sustained 118mph. H is for 130mph, also sustained. I doubt you'll ever test either limit.

But I would look at the UTGQ ratings to get treadware, wet traction, and heat resistance ratings. I think the Firestones are only B rated for heat resistance, but I would not get anything lower than that. For wet traction I demand an A at least (AA is even better).

You can compare them in this case because the tires are from the same manufacturer.

You can also check Tire Rack's customer feedback, but I doubt that is a popular tire model.

Glad to hear Firestone is replacing it for free, though.

Yes! We got another Dave! I knew it - most Subaru owners are indeed named Dave! :-) Congrats and welcome.

-juice
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    The hesitation experience has been around awhile.
    I'm not mechanically verse, so take what I know with a chunk of salt.
    1 - it is mainly noticeable with ATs, if not only on ATs.
    2 - the AT shifts from 1->2 very quickly (too quick for most).
    3 - AWD torque shift may have some play in this.

and it usually goes away after the driver adjust their driving style and gotten to know the car.

Make observation of yourself and the car when the hesitation happens, and when it doesn't happens.
    It will help narrow things down.

-Dave
  • Options
    sb69coupesb69coupe Member Posts: 21
    Juice, the Regatta Red is a fairly bright metallic red. It takes on a slight orange hue in direct sunlight, I think in part due to the titanium color on the bumpers and side cladding. The metallic looks good in it, in my opinion. We'll see how it does in hiding dirt and dust. My last five cars have all been silver, or a variant of silver, which tends to hide light dust and dirt fairly well.

OB165, nope, I'm nowhere near Ft Lauderdale. Just outside Raleigh NC to be exact. I'm not sure if Sharon and I use the same dealer, I used the Raleigh one rather than Durham or Chapel Hill.

I need to test-fit the kids car seats in the rear and get some more time in the drivers seat. We'll likely use the Sube this weekend instead of the Honda Odyssey. I'll report initial impressions on that later as well.

Shannon
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Congratulations on your new Subies. Welcome. Saw the Regatta red in the new brochure, but, not in person yet.

John - Please give more details on your hesitation. Is it from a stop once in a while? Between shifts? Could it be the transfer of power from the wheels that slip to ........? Inquiring minds want to know.

Steve - nice explanation on the brakes.

Greg
  • Options
    Steve (and others),

Thanks for the great explanation on the parking brakes. Since the slight pulsing occurs when applying the disc brakes, there must be some common contact point of the two brake systems? The problem is subtle and therefore not worth an hour trip to the dealer, and does not seem to affect any aspect of normal braking. Perhaps I will try to engage the parking brake briefly to see whether any oxides will be removed to smooth out the surface. I will definitely try to remember not to engage the parking brake during the next long stint at the airport.
  • Options
    oobeoobe Member Posts: 10
    Hey, Thanks guys for all your replies.

The hesitation is when I have parked for awhile and then when I put it in drive or reverse. I then step on the gas and it hesitates for a second or so and then accelerates...if this is common to others and the car is still OK after lots of miles(100K+), then I will just live with it.

john
  • Options
    outback165outback165 Member Posts: 108
    I was at the Miami Auto Show last night (for the second time this week) and they have an base Outback in Regatta red. While it took on a different hue under the artificial light (fluorescent??) it got a lot of conversation by Soobie enthusiasts! Lines like "So much better than Winestone!" were common from what I heard.

Thanks for the feedback on tires. They also confirmed for me what Dave said, that the Potenzas are the same as the Wilderness with a different name. I'm going to try to get the Firestone dealer to just replace the Wilderness with Potenzas... otherwise, I'll use your notes, Juice, to select another tire.

On another note, anyone notice how manufacturs are all bringing out WRX Wagon wannabes? Mazda, Kia, Pontiac, Toyota, etc.

Have a good day, all!
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    john- it only occurs after you've parked for awhile?
    I'm picturing a very very light foot gingerly accelerating to pull out of a parking spot, and that will do it (hesitation). If that's the case, it's just us hesitating. :-)

-Dave
  • Options
    There is really no direct connection between the service and parking brake systems on a vehicle with rear disks. The parking brake uses the inner hub, the service brake the outer flange (rotor). So if you are feeling the pulsing only when you apply the service brake, then it is possible that the damage may have occured whether you used the parking brake or not during the 10 days the car sat idle. Back to the uneven rusting theory. I would consider asking the dealer to check (with a micrometer) the thickness variations, and turn (lathe) them if necessary.

Steve
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Hello everyone congrates on new subies shannon and greg. Here's my question when I start my car in the morning ,its starting to get cold up here in New Jersey some mornings about 35 -45. The car sounds normal when its idling but when I drive it there is a knocking or tapping sound ,and it goes away in about 3-5 minutes .I've read on some posts in here that it was the tension pully on timing belt and subaru replaced it on other cars . I've also read that its normal because of the way subie engines are designed. Is this normal and does anybody else have this noise . Am i crazy because I love this car so much that im hearing things .
    Sorry i have a 2002 outback wagon 2.5 auto trans it has 2100 miles on it bought it in sept of this year .
    Heres another question when did you change your oil for the first time .I just made a appointment for mine because the oil is starting to get dirty, but get this the dealer keeps telling me to wait untill 3000 miles .Whats up with that . I have had no other problems with the car , no brake squeal,wind noise,hesatation,pinging nothing I really love this car .
  • Options
    Michael,

A few weeks ago I posted about my then new OB asking about valve lash. I too believe that I am hearing a bit more 'ticking' than expected when cold & under load, which goes away as soon as the engine temp begins to rise. It will probably be labled as normal cold valve / cam clearance that closes up when the metal expands. And yes, my brakes squeal when I back out in the morning. I get slight hesitation at the 1-2 gear change (auto), but it seems to be diminishing. I think the 'learning logic' is holding 1st longer as I drive more aggressively (now out of the light foot break-in period). Items to discuss with the dealer at the first scheduled service.

I just did a 'pre-emptive' oil change at 1100 miles, more because it made me feel good, than any other reason.

Steve
  • Options
    goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    My dealer gave me a free oil and filter change at 1500 km (their suggestion).

Does anyone know if this "learning logic" applies equally to manual trans cars? I have never noticed any difference whether I drive the car continuously as in the 5,500 km September road trip, or whether my wife drives it for commuting and local journeys, which is the usual state of affairs. And no, we do not have the same driving style.