Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    jbatluckjbatluck Member Posts: 4
    The 4-cyl camry and the accord yesterday. Camry seems a little quieter, but other than that, I think I like the Accord better all around. The power seems decent for a 4-cyl but a 4 is still a 4.

I also took out a V-6 Accord EX sedan. All you need to do is tap the gas and it's gone. It was sweeeeeet!! Now me and my bank account just need to decide. Is it worth an extra 6k for V6, traction control, front side airbags, 6 disc changer, alloys, 17-in tires, sunroof etc? I'm thinking it is but another side of me says that it isn't. We shall see.
  • Options
    drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    I am not trying to spoil the party but for that price why don't you include the v6 sonata in your shopping list? I think I just saw in the news that the sonata has been a very reliable car, about as reliable as the [non-permissible content removed] (don't know how true). Peace.
  • Options
    earlthomearlthom Member Posts: 16
    I, too, read and was mystified by the initial quality study. I live in a "GM town" and they are tooting the horn pretty loudly - so I gave the Malibu a try. If you have questions, I suggest you do the same. It simply isn't in the same class as the Accord or Camry. Fit and finish is just OK. With rebates and financing, it is a bargain - perhaps that explains the satisfaction. Also- Malibu is re-designed for '04, so who knows what is next.

The Accord V6 is, indeed, peppy. If that is important to you, and the -3MPG isn't an issue, I'd say go get it!

As for dealer cash back...I'm not sure I've ever seen Honda offer that on Accord. They have their summer "clearance", but usually only moderate deals on limited inventory. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know, 'cause I plan to get an Accord in the next couple weeks if I can get the right price.

Anyone have any information on the '04 Accord. Changes? Upgrades?
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    "Anyone have any information on the '04 Accord. Changes? Upgrades?"

Given that it's the first year after a major redesign, I'd be very surprised if we see anything more than a new color or two.
  • Options
    jbatluckjbatluck Member Posts: 4
    Well, I was able to call around and negotiate a price before I came in. Found a dealer that would sell the car at invoice. I was looking to buy quickly as I have to do a lot of long distance driving for my job and I didn't trust my old car (won't go into that). Had an excellent experience with the dealer.

The new car is very nice! 30MPG for a V6 with 240Hp is unheard of until now. Hopefully it will last 10 years and 250k miles. The extra options and the V6 will help its resale value in case I decide to sell in the next 5-7 years but at this point I hope to keep it. Best of luck to the rest of you.
  • Options
    rishipriship Member Posts: 65
    I don't put much stock into JD Power initial quality surveys. I think that American cars are fine when brand new. It's a few years down the road that they start to have problems. The long term reliability of the Japanese is what sets them apart. I pay much more attention to quality ratings of cars that are 5 years old rather than brand new. Of course no current generation accord or camry is five years old, but I'll trust that if Honda and Toyota could build quality cars in the past they will continue to do so.
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    test drove an accord lx 4 cylinder-- what's up with no power seats?? those are standard on the camry le 4 cylinder--not even an option on the lx 4 cylinder... seems odd.... other than the seats, i kinda liked it over the camry i test drove...
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    You don't even get a fully-powered seat on the EX with cloth. You have to get either the I4 EX-L or LXV6.

Hopefully the LX and EX will get this feature when the Accord is updated.
  • Options
    jsmath5jsmath5 Member Posts: 77
    Only the higher end Honda's get all the goodies on them, same with most cars. I own a EXV6 Coupe w/rear spoiler & love it. Tinted the windows and added a subwoofer and amp, like it needed that. Love the car, when my lease is up, I will be buying a Honda Pilot.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I couldn't find where the Camry LE 4-cylinder has standard power seats. I think it is an option package on the Camry, but according to Toyota's website, power seats are not standard. And the Accord has a few things over the Camry in place of power seats.
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    Camry LE 4-cyl lists multi-adjustable power driver's seat with lumbar support.

OTOH, Accord LX 4 has standard ABS, which is optional on Camry LE 4. It all evens out.
  • Options
    Oh well, can't be right every time. But my EX-L coupe has an 8-way power seat anyways. Along with LED gauges, dual-zone climate control, telescopic wheel, and remote window operation. Not to mention it's 5 star side-impact rating. :)
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    camry made power seats standard back in january or so...

as far as honda making ABS standard-- thats'fine, but at least in the camry you can get ABS as an option for $300... i don't think you can add power seats to the accord LX even if you wanted, can you?? honda seems to MAKE you get the ex for its goodies moreso than toyota...

not a big deal, just seemed odd that power seats aren't standard (or an option) on the lx 4 cylinder.
  • Options
    It would be nice if Honda added a power seat to Lx models and up for 2006.

As someone mentioned, the power seat became standard after January.
  • Options
    Well, Honda does have the engine & transmission winners. 240 6 cyl, 160 4 cyl. All models come standard with ABS, and all have a 5 speed transmission...STANDARD. Also Honda models have the best gas mileage out of the bigger engines.
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I have an '03 Accord sedan EX-L I4 with 5 spd and navigation. I prefer manual trans and really wanted the navigation system. Toyota simply doesn't offer this combination as an option, nor do Nissan or any of the American or European makes for that matter (at least no where near the price of the Honda).

The Honda nav system is voice activated and far superior to the Toyota's. The 4 cyl mated to the 5 spd has plenty of pep, gets OVER 30 mpg in combined city/highway driving and my mileage is still improving as the engine breaks in. The salesperson at Honda told me they will be offering the V6 with a manual (5 or 6 spd?) in the sedan later this year.

I would have liked Honda to offer the head curtain airbags in the I4 EX-L as I do not think it is fair to make me buy a bigger engine just to get additional safety.
  • Options
    mikek37mikek37 Member Posts: 411
    From what I hear, Honda will not be producing a 6 speed tranny for the sedan.

Hopefully Im wrong because I know this will make many people happy.
  • Options
    Can you imagine a v6 6spd Accord EXV6 Sedan?
  • Options
    That unfortunately will not be done, it's a family car in the 4 door version, they don't want to make many 5 speed 4 doors, let alone 6 speed V6 Coupes. I sell Hondas and have heard nothing on the 6 speed 4 door.
  • Options
    I am FULLY aware that the Accord V6 (whether it be the LX V6 or EX V6 models)will NOT be getting the 6 spd. manual. I was just thinking how wonderful it would be. That's all! My aunt works for one of the larger Honda dealers in Upstate, South Carolina, so I find out info just about as fast as you do. Thanks for your input, but I am fully aware that the Accord Sedan will not be getting the 6spd. manual.
  • Options
    I just had an argument with a Mazda owner yesterday on the 4 door 6 speed manual. He said Mazda is going to take over 2% more of the american market share this year. I was like Mazda and what army? What a joke, Mazda. Anyway didn't mean to sound as if I knew it all. I wish they made one so I can sell it.
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    Since it looks like the V6 is not going to be offered with a manual transmission in the sedan, I feel better about opting for the 5 spd EX-L with the I4. You simply can't get the top of the line Camry with a manual transmission in either engine configuration. Too bad, an Accord EX-L V6 sedan with a manual would be VERY competatively priced compared to a lot of similarly equipped European sports sedans.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get daytime running lamps added to the 03 Accord? How about satellite radio that works smoothly with the existing Nav system? Is there a way to hook it up the the "aux" button on the control panel?
  • Options
    atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Annualized sales (Jan-Apr 2003 actual sales x 3) of the 4 Japanese mainstream models appear to be (numbers in thousands):

Accord 378
    Camry 380
    Altima 190
    Mazda6 40

The numbers above assume that the Jan-Apr sales pace remains the same. Injecting price incentives, advertising, promotions, and latent market acceptance of new models (in the case of Mazda6 and the Accord), etc. per carmaker tightens the estimate.

If Mazda6 increase sales by say a phenomenal 50% to end at 60k cars for 2003, its market share would be at either 0.9% of the automobile segment or 0.4% of the total vehicle market in the US.

No, it probably won't capture 2% of the car segment, much less the total vehicle market. So, there are your numbers, jsmath.

Ref: http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsedan.asp http://www.automotivedigest.com/research/research_results.asp?sig- - - - stats_id=328
  • Options
    Thanks for the sales update. Based on what I have seen the Accord should beat the Camry in overall sales. Camry has incentives to dealers, Honda has nothing, so that should boost Toyota, but the new Honda has a lot of people moving over from domestics. I see it every day.
  • Options
    Toyota has 0.0% on the Camry though.
  • Options
    everydayeveryday Member Posts: 53
    Is it true, to get a nice looking Accord, I have to get an Acura TSX???? What's up with that!?!
  • Options
    What are you babbling about?
  • Options
    ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    is probably saying that Accord is pretty ugly :) not to say mechanically there's anything wrong with it...
  • Options
    That 0% is only on a 36 month loan, read the small print. Also Camry offers $1000 rebates to dealer, which means it hurts resale value. Honda has a larger engine, 5 speed automatic, ABS, keyless entry (not DX) standard on all Accords. MSRP should also be better on the Hondas.

The TSX is really an Accord Coupe with 4 doors and a 6 speed manual transmission.
  • Options
    When the Accord was first shown, I nearly had a heart attack. My family has driven Honda since they debuted, and I was looking to get myself an Accord EX-L Navi with 5spd. manual. Well, I didn't like the styling. To say the least, I hated it. I was going to get the coupe, but after seeing so many of them on the road, I have began to like them again. I really like the Noble Green color, but I have a hard time finding one. I also like Redondo Red and Graphite Gray. Eternal Blue ain't bad lookin either.

Now I think the sedan looks really nice. Althought I still think they could have done better with the front and rear taillights.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    jsmath5:

Sorry, but the Acura TSX is NOT based on a US-spec Accord Coupe. It is the Japanese/European Accord (quite different, slightly smaller, vehicle entirely). It also gives you the choice of a 5-speed automatic OR 6-speed manual transmission. Both at the same price.
  • Options
    volvownervolvowner Member Posts: 37
    Maximillion1, I have to agree with you. When I first bought my '03 EX-L sedan, I focused mostly on the bulbous rear end. Lately I've come to see the design as a whole, and I think it's a fairly attractive, up-to-date package. I definitely like it better than the '02, which struck me as a stale rehash of the late '80s design.
  • Options
    Perhaps they'll redesign those tail lights, then the car won't look like it got rear ended by a bus! Those droopy lights really accent the stubby rear, it's gotta go. Betcha Honda redesigns it after next year. Forget about the front end, no way to fix that...just hope the redesign will look nicer in '07.
  • Options
    I bet they DO NOT change the rear end drastically, hence completely changing the tail lights. I think the accord styling is elegant and attractive, but everyone has there own opinion.
  • Options
    atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    ...rear corners, which include the tips of the tailights, are part of the fender sheetmetal which includes about half of the c-pillar.

Changing the tailight shape (especially the tips that define it) means changing the sheetmetal, and the expensive stamping molds.

Very likely Honda will let its market (and itself) bite the bullet on this one and let the car's other merits work for the car.

Very unlike the 5th gen Accord, when - realizing it critically (because of Toyota/Nissan) needed a V6 retrofit in midlife - Honda re-engineered the whole front end to accommodate the V6.
  • Options
    they'll never change the sheet metal mid cycle. The best they can do is redesign the plastic lenses, which is what Honda always does. I have to wonder if they already have the nicest design saved for later years of the current model cycle; Honda always seem to have the best front end/taillight refreshments the last year of the design cycle...so let's see what the '06s look like.

But, without changing the sheetmetal, Honda can't improve that beaky nose.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    The TL looked better whewn they refreshed it in between the 01 and 02 TL model years. Bigger headlights and a little change to the tailights made it look sportier. The 02 Accord looked nice but nothing special. I wonder if Honda will ever go youthful with the Accord Sedan again or just try to sell it to the masses like they are doing now with the 03 Accord. In the 90's the Accord sold to the loyal import buyer now Honda is going for the domestic buyer which has taken the flavor out of the Accord's design on my opinion. The Domestic buyers seem to like the new Accord. Oh well there's always the Accord Coupe. Hopefully I'll still be single so I can get an Accord Coupe when I am ready for a new car.
  • Options
    Especially the 1990-1992. We have two at my house. I am in the market for a new car, and I must say that the Accord wasn't my top choice based on looks, but it definately appeals more to import buyers as far as interior quality, refinement and features is concerned. Styling has fallen off a bit, but it has grown on me a lot. I work for a large food buffet corporation. There was a brand new Accord EX in Graphite Pearl with flaps, sunroof visor and the lip spoiler. IT LOOKED GOOD! I would definately take a EX-L with 5spd. manual with those features.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    The 92-93 Accord style is timeless in my opinion. 96-97 was definately the sportiest which is my fave. I really did like the 1998-2000 Accord styling. I was 17 or 18 years old when that came out, I was probably one of the few of people under the age of 20 to like that style hated it at first but definately grew on me. The styling change from 97 to 98 when I first saw it had mistake written all over it. About March of 1998 it finally grew on me. I remember wanting the late 80's Accord with the pop-out headlights for my first car. Went to take a look at it. The styling still looked good: and this was 1997 that I saw this model. I really wanted it but my Dad said no. My love affair for accords since I was young is a little weird I know.

As far as comfort and value is concerned the Accord is one of the best for that: agreed.
  • Options
    cferrocferro Member Posts: 4
    I have had my Accord for 7 months. I like the size of the new car. I was driving an 91 Accord.
    Last year in Consumer Reports it was rated the best value car in the Accord line.
    The only downside is the 12V adapter over a the lighter for plugging in a cell phone.
    I hope Honda continues to make the car in this size, because all of us are not SUV people.
  • Options
    We have 10,500 miles on our 03 Accord EX-L 5-speed and it's been perfect. Cleaned it up yesterday and remembered why we bought it in the first place. It's amazing how much different your car can look when buried under a week's worth of rain residue and dirt.
  • Options
    I own an EXV6 Coupe and realize why I'm driving one every time I wash it, let alone drive it. Best car on the road for the money.
  • Options
    valleydudevalleydude Member Posts: 8
    I am wondering if anyone out there can give me the lowdown on which of these cars is the best (assume each is a V-6, automatic, and fully equipped, with Nav). Also, given the intense competition, why would Toyota charge more for their car (even after the rebate of $1000)? I found the Honda a little better handling and the Toyota a bit more quiet, but, I am still in a quandary. Thank you all in advance for any advice...
  • Options
    But both are great cars..Ever since I can remember the Camry is a little more expensive than the Accord when comparbly equipped...The Accord has a more powerful engine...and dual zone climate control. I do like the style of the Camry better but I like the interior of the Accord more.
  • Options
    indyfanindyfan Member Posts: 22
    I ,too, like the Accord interior a little better and I am totally hung up whether my next car will be an Accord or Camry. I have heard people complain about the Accord's fat rear end but that doesn't bother me much now and I never really thought it was that bad to begin with. The Camry's rebate offer is tempting and I love the Accord Coupe too but I may want more room which the sedan offers. To make matters "worse" my "lowly" 1996 Saturn SC2 has just 74,000 miles on it and runs like it may last another 10 years but I am tired of small cars.
  • Options
    Toyotas are always more than a Honda on MSRP. Also the Honda has been rated #1 by Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend. Yes the Honda has better performance, better motor, 5 speed auto tranny. Honda has better safety, and resale value as well. Now Toyota rides better due to softer shocks, but handling suffers. Honda firmer ride, better handling, more fun to drive.

Also that $1000 rebate will be given to the dealer and taken off your deal. It just gives the dealer a way to make more money on the car by not letting all the customers know about it. BTW, that $1000 will also be reflected in the car's future resale value or trade in. Think about the poor guy who paid $1000 more for a Camry and goes to trade it in and loses the $1000 he overpaid as well as the $1000 depreciation loss to give a loss of $2000.
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    "Now Toyota rides better due to softer shocks, but handling suffers. Honda firmer ride, better handling, more fun to drive."

Funny how "fun to drive" means different things for different people. I do a lot of highway driving, so a harsh ride to me isn't fun at all after a while. The Camry, for me, would be the best choice. Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH) are minimal in the Camry, and I've read that although the new Accord has made improvements in this area, it still doesn't match the Camry.

The Accord's interior, however, is the best in my opinion.
  • Options
    Hands down, the camry is far quieter then the accord, much smoother ride. It does it job extremely WELL. It was meant to be smooth and quiet, but at the same time this takes away the sporty character of the car. Yes many people say, the accord isnt sporty, but when compared to the Camry, the accord is a tad more sporty, especially road feel and cornering capability. The Camry isolates you from the road, which is graet for people who expect that. To behonest, I wouldnt mind that characteristics of the a camry when I reach the middle years of my life.

The accord attaches you to the road. Most of the time I want the later, attach me to the road, but sometimes I wish I had the quiet smooth riding of the camry. I remember the one time I rented an 02 Camry, beautiful car, barely a hint of road noise, couldnt even notice the car was one. The only negative, I couldnt feel the road at all, the camry was that good at its job.

Hmm, now if they could only put together a camcord, athletic and sporty (Accord), yet smooth and quiet( Camry, not saying the accord isnt smooth or quiet, but I feel the camry trumped the accord in this area) at the same time.
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    I totally agree with Mike, the Camry is #1 at what it was created for. I also looked at the Camry before buying an Accord. The Camry is smoother, more silent, isolated and the rear seat height is excellent, much more comfortable than an Accord's (IMHO). Also, the trunk is much larger than an Accord (important for me, I have a toddler).

What tilted the scale in favor of the Accord was the interior, I just couldn't live with the Camry's interior in addition to the smooth revving nature of the iVTEC, and the 5 sp Auto.
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I'm curious, to what RPM does your Accord rev around 70 mph?