Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Welcome to the continuation of the Cadillac
DeVille
topic. Those of you joining us from that
topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• robh3robh3 Posts: 157
    Yep, the temptation was just too great to resist responding to comments from those who know nothing about late model Cadillacs, and it resulted in the topic being frozen.

Well, let's get back on track now and talk about the DeVille and other Caddies if appropriate.

ttcad, it would be interesting if you could share with us a one month "snapshot" of the age demographics of the buyers of Caddies sold at your dealership. Just for the heck of it, you know, to see what the ages are? Certainly, just one month might be skewed high or low, but what the heck?

It would also be intersting to see what the age breakdown is by model (STS, SLS, DTS, Escalade, etc.)

If you can share this please do.
  • at the birthdates of our clients and get you some info. Just watching and guessing at the average age of people walking thru the door today I would have to say 47 - 52 age range. That is based on a sample of about 100 people. I feel that is about as good and accurate a sample as you can get. About half of those people were interested in the deville. 25 people in seville. 18-20 in escalade/catera. 5 in eldo. These are of course rough numbers. Of the people looking at deville, a full half were interested in the DHS or DTS. Cadillac planned on building about 20% DHS & DTS, 80% regular Deville for the 2000 model year. Sales of those two combined were about 40% vs 60% regular Deville. Most people looking at the DTS/DHS were in their mid 40's. More info when I get it.
  • Bought my 2000 Deville today. Paid $35,000 for
    a base Deville with 8000 miles (program car).
    I've been shopping around for a long time and had looked at Lincolns, Lexus, and Acura. I'm very pleased so far-------
    Demographic info: 52 years old.
    Purchased at: Colonial Cadillac, Virginia Beach, VA
  • Is the rough idle something that Cadillacs have just about always had? Thanks, Aron
  • NO- The rough idle condition that we have discussed recently in this forum is limited to the first round of the 2K Northstar Equipped Cars. It is a software glitch in the EMS which I understand now has a fix.
    Thanks for the insight on age demographics. Interesting that the actual sales of DHS's and DTS's for 2000 were higher than Cadillac had predicted vs. the base Deville.
  • Perhapd tccadl can answer my question. Bought my 2000 DTS on 4/1/00. On 5/15/00 left it with dealer for oil change and a carpet "tuck". When I picked it up the service manager mentioned something about the rough idle electronic fix. I don't know if he was telling me it's on the way or that he had effected it on my car. In any case, it idles just fine. Question: Was the "fix" available on 5/15/00 ? I'm sure any dealer could "ask" the onboard computer if the car has been "fixed", but I am 150 miles from nearest dealer. (Paper work for the 5/15/00 service did not mention this.)
  • Just saw the response of the diedard Lexus Owner (lxownr) re GM market share in 1970 vs 1999 in which he stated GM had 70% of the American Automobile Market in 1970 and market share deteriorated to 30% . lxownr must be terribly misinformed (kind word for ignorant) to state or believe that in 1970 GM left only 30% of the U.S. market to Ford, Chrysler, American Motors (at that time) without even throwing in the foreign imports. Sounds like a politician: Say ANYTHING regardless of how illogical or nonsensical to further the agenda - in this case promoting the glorified, high priced Toyota called Lexus vs the "in class by itself" Cad DTS.
  • Notice He's not around anymore!
  • I am contemplating the purchase of a DeVille. By the way, I am 34 years old. I am also contemplating buying a boat next Spring - just a standard runabout speedboat. I have to admit that I do not even know how much a boat like that weighs. Assuming any of you know about boat weights, what, if anything can or must I do to the Caddie in order to tow the boat? I really don't want a truck, but may have to if the boat is a must-have (which it may not be). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • The fix on the rough idle was available at that time. It seems unusually bad in the 300 hp motors tho. Almost like there is a miss in the engine. It is not a part that needs to be fixed, but a simple reprogramming of the main ecm. Easy fix.

Good point philly, where did he go? Must be still be counting the number of times Toyota is stamped on his car. 47...48...49
  • I would expect that he ran out of fingers and toes by now!
  • Thanks for info re rough idle fix. My DTS has smooth idle so I'm going to assume the "fix" was effected. "If it aint broke. don't fix it".

FYI front end protective bras are available IN EXACT COLORS from an outfit in Bothell, WA. I ordered one for my DTS and they weren't satisfied with the color description from the CAD brochure (Sterling Silver) they requiredthe numerical description of paint color from the data under the apare tire cover. The match color EXACTLY. Their website is www.carbrasby perfectfit.com . When you visit the site I think you will find they make a quality product. Two month lead time on colored bras.
  • Did anyone on here saw the issue of top luxury sedans in the Motor Trend magazine? I thought it was a great road comparison but somewhat disappointed.

I don't know why they compare a DTS against the cars that had a sport package like the 740il sport, S500 sport, and other cars with sport tires and vice versa.

They criticize about the DTS tires of being cheap and said that the rims look cheesy looking. They gave the rear seat room a low grade compared to the competition and said that they wish they like the car better. But they did say they had positive comments about the body style and gave it a grade better than the 2001 LS 430. Did you heard that, lxowner.

Motor Trend insisted Cadillac to make the DTS CVRSS standard on all Deville trims, have the DTS with 18 tires with a 5 speed manumatic and have better seats. Too them, the seats were too cushy for their tushes. Any comments?

Personally I am not surprise that the DTS was the least favorite with them. I found the comparison unfair. Does anyone agree with me? It would been equal if these cars did not had a sport package or sport tires.

In my opinion, if Cadillac had an option Sport package like the 2001 STS, I say have a DTS Sport with a lot beefier tires/rims, tauter suspension setup, the body structure 30% stronger than it is for better ride isolation, there you have it, an American version of the S500 sport.

However, I did agree when they said that the major price between the DTS and S500 sport determine the better car. I think the DTS is a very damn good car but comparing to a car and you pay $30,000 dollars for the car, it should be a better and well equipped with more technology.
  • Is the rough idle you are talking about when in drive w/ foot on brake? or in park? My 2000 Deville was delivered to me from dealer stock in Feb 2000. It was an early build car.
    Also, I notice the oil dipstick usually indicates 1/2 qt low on oil every 3 weeks or so. Any body else have to top off that much? Or is that "normal".
  • Rough idle would be in drive with foot on brake. My understanding is that the 300 HP DTS is more inclined to have this problem but can be remedied with the EMC "fix".

Re oil usage: I have had previous Devilles (not Northstars) and found on two of them that after oil change or "topping off" to full that in short time (perhaps 200 miles) oil would show 1/2 quart down. I learned that those two cars ran 1/2 qt low all the time. After dropping to that level it remain there for 3-4000 miles without going any lower. Suggest you not add when 1/2 qt down and see what happens. It may just stay there. Regardless, your engine has 8 quart oil capacity so running 1/2 qt down for awhile shopuldn't be problem. Let us know what happens.
  • It's coming down to one or the other (I'm 37 BTW). I have a 2000 STS (diamond white, totally loaded) all ready to go, but now having second thoughts about a DTS instead. I thought I was sure the STS was going to be it. Any comments? Help! Has anyone compared them side by side driving experience?
    ps
    No *silly* comments about Lexus or MB's thank you.
    What is more important to you; handling/performance, or interior space?

I drive an STS ('99), and while I would strongly consider a DTS for my next ride, I can tell you that the STS definitely feels smaller and more agile behind the driver's seat than the DTS. The DTS definitely handles very well for a car that size and it for sure provides more interior room, especially for rear seat passengers, than the STS.

I am 37 as well, BTW, and this is my second STS. My first one was a '94. You can't go wrong either way, in my book. You should proably go down to the dealer, have them park each one next to the other to let you compare for a while, and then take each out for a spin, one right after the other.

Tough decision, bud, but there are lots of people out there who'd love to be in your position to be deciding between these two babies!
  • Boy. Rob's right. That would be a tough choice. In my case it's pretty easy. I'm 6'3" and 325 lbs. (relatively even distribution). I just don't fit in the STS without bending my neck outward toward the door. God knows I have tried.

At 35, I'm picking up my 4th Deville (DTS) in a row in January. I am so happy that Cadillac finally built a Deville with the attitude of a STS but with the cubic feet I need on the inside.

Good Luck Craig. Either way, you won't go wrong, unless you waste your money on a (well,you know)!