Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    Almost got to experience the air bags, seat belt and crumple areas on the '01 last night. An 18 wheeler (most vehicles on freeways in Houston) decided to cut me off at 60mph. I was cushioned between him and a mini-pickup. Slamming on the brakes trying to avoid everything on each side of me I watched his left trailer rear pass OVER my right front fender.
    Now that's exciting to watch - while you total body puckers up.
    BTW - I have no ABS but the MPV stopped very straight. It & I drank a martini in the garage last night to settle things down....
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Posts: 167
    on your close call[aren't those two of the sweetest words you can think of? Especially when you think of the alternative!] Glad to hear the van performed up to expectations-- you never doubted it would, did you?
    I'll tell you, I'm so shaken up by your close call that I think I better go and mix me an extra large perfect Manhatten to calm myself down--thanks for the excuse.

;]

RJ
  • pieracpierac Posts: 43
    Seriously, glad you are Ok Bob57.
  • mtnbkrmtnbkr Posts: 5
    Gakwee, thanks for raising this question. I'm following these boards closely, as we'll be in the mkt for a mini in the next year or so, and this is one of my hot buttons. We used to haul up to 3 mtn bikes (and 3 sweaty riders) in our '93 Merc Villager in 5-pass. configuration; I had fitted canvas and indoor/outdoor carpet panels to protect the interior. I would like to do this again, and wonder if anybody has tried hauling 2-3 bikes inside the MPV. We sell car rack paraphenalia at the bike shop where I work, and I hope I don't have to deal with it in my own life!
  • nambernamber Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 MPV. so far I love it in all respects except the Air conditioner only gets cool not cold. It has yet to go to the dealer, but I plan to have this explored. Has anyone else had trouble with the A/C on an MPV?
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    You should be able to easily carry a couple of mtn. bikes in the rear of the MPV, with the 3rd row folded into the floor. I've put two of mine in there, front wheels removed, and a kiddy trailer too.

/java
  • owr084owr084 Posts: 46
    Make sure you look at the controls for the rear A/C (we have the rear AC & heater, so that is what I am writing about...) The controls are independent of the settings on the dash. So, make sure the temperature is on full cold and the top vents are selected. We had the wrong vents selected and did not realize it until my wife crawled back to check the kids. It gets plenty cold back there now.

I wish they would have put more override controls up front. I am going to test the modes this weekend.

RBB
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    Make sure you have the recycle set, not hot air coming from the outside. My Wife forgets to hit recycle when the AC is on and notices it's alot cooler when I change the setting. Also, I lower the sliding door windows for 5 minutes and this seems to help cool down the van quicker. The refrigerant in newer cars doesn't do the job of Freon. My 91 Protege blew ice chunks out the vents.

Pjd58
  • gakweegakwee Posts: 2
    Thanks for the LowRider suggestion. I was really hoping to be able to attached the LockJaw directly onto the MPV factory crossbars. I will call Yakima tomorrow to find out if they plan to have a MightyMount adapter for the MPV crossbars.

I have the MightyMount on my Subaru factory crossbars. It works pretty well and it is a much less expensive option ($30).

I have put 500 miles on the LX and I like very much. However, my dream MPV shall have :

1. Sport Package - Stiffer suspension. Thicker roll bars to reduce body roll and understeer.
    2. AWD.
    3. 6-speed manual or 5-speed Tiptronic shift

I can dream, Can't I ?

Cheers.
  • We are moving to Anchorage, Alaska and are thinking of getting an MPV, and would like to know how the it performs in snow and ice.
    Thanks
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,206
    You wanna take this one, Javadoc?

;-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Well... What's bringing you to beautiful Alaska, besides the world-class fishing (lol)?

To answer your question, the MPV handles just fine here, imho. We've had ours for almost three years. Like any snow-belt area, you are smart to buy dedicated snow tires for the winter months, I prefer studded tires, but to each their own. The MPV's abs works really well in the snow, which is due to the EBFD system that basically uses brake bias to modulate the braking when you're trying to woah the van down in the slick stuff.

I always wish for awd, but (don't listen to this part Mazda...) it's not necessary, just a luxury that would be nice to have. Also, with the 2002 van's having available traction control, the van should do even better. I tested out an MPV w/TCS, at the end of winter, and it was a great improvement over our 2000 model's non-TCS drivetrain.

I have a friend with a 2001 Ody, and he curses it in the snow for some reason, something about it being too low-slung and getting stuck in the snow (his other car is a 4x4 F150 tho). My wife loves driving the MPV around in the snow and never has issues w/being stuck, even in the heavy snow days.

The heater and defrost systems work wonderfully, as you'd expect for anything these days, and you always have goodly amounts of heat. Don't buy an MPV w/o the 4Seasons package if you'll live up here, that's my advice.

Email me if you need any help too, and I can always recommend a great grease monkey if you need one. What else is important? Don't eat yellow snow.

/java
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    Another Eskimo:)? They are going to need to add another stop light to your one horse town!

Pjd58
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    Java, how many people do you have there, you were telling? 20 or so including that teacher and police officer? Now you'll have 22 (or how many of you are moving there, buscandoauto?). That's 10% population increase! Definitely the right time to open another Mazda dealership. :-)
    Oh, come on and admit it - you are recruiting people up there so when your computer is down you have someone to talk to.. :))

Bill & Pierac;
    Thanks! I felt I was driving like a 90 year old lady this morning screaming "Stay away from me...".
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    Is there a more ingenious car company in the world than Honda? They just keep hitting home runs with every model they come out with. First the damn Ody which I believe is still,still selling for more than msrp in most locals and requires a wait to get,regardless of what the Wall street Journal says. I thought honda finally started producing more,or are they once again playing games by holding back production? It blows me away to hear stories about Ody owners who purchased new,then sold them 1-2 years later for their original purchase price; much better than the stock market.
    Then came the CRV and everyone wants one; again long waits and selling for sticker. Now the Pilot SUV which you know is going to be in incredible demand,will sell well above sticker and have people lined up to buy. This is incredible marketing; too many times for it to be luck. And with the new Accord at the ready,I have got to buy some stock in this company. Yes, they can be arrogant to deal with,and I still hate to pay more than sticker,or wait for any vehicle; but this is just too much.
  • We are moving due to my husband job transfer.That makes our decision easier, we were also looking at the Odyssey but they are all backordered down here in Houston, and the dealers are marking them up. Well got tired of the whole thing and Mazda dealer is much more professional, we are thinking of getting an LX with 4 seasons, security package and roof rack, any other suggestions?
    heheh, you guys are relentless . Actually, unofficial numbers are about 30 (300k really) souls here in Anchor-town. Bob, with (counts w/fingers...) seven computers in the house, I don't think I'll ever be 'down,' lol... not including the wireless connection on my pda. Of course, one power outage and I have to resort to human interaction, lol.

buscandauto, You folks planning on driving up from Houston, or shipping your stuff? Driving, although a long trip, is really beautiful thru Canada and Alaska. Am I right Steve?

Rutger, you are right about them seeming to always churn out good vehicles. My opinion of the entire fleet over there at H-co. is that they have no soul, no character... even the S2000. They're instruments. Precision instruments, but no pizzazz. Mazda's lineup has some spirit! Not the most powerful, but imho, definitely much more fun to drive than any car w/an 'H' on the grill.

/j
    I'd suggest 3 extra rims so you can swap out tires easily twice a year (4 studs, 4 summer tires). I'm assuming the spare is full sized and would take one of the studded tires.

Does the 4 Season package have a heavy duty battery/charging system and block heater Java? Heated seats? (aftermarket conversion sounds easy enough to do).

Are you driving it up, Buscandoauto? If so, a hood deflector might be a good idea, or some of that clear stuff for rock chips. Mud flaps too.

Yeah, great drive up the Alcan - highly recommended.

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    its too bad the perfect car company you call Honda cant make a tranny or power doors that work perfectly in the Oddy!!!

Read the real world returns here on Edmunds...you will see some very consistant problems...ones you do not see on the MPV.
  • beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    But you better watch out, I hear Isell coming ;-)
  • danandkatdanandkat Posts: 67
    Unfortunately, the MPV spare is a compact, so you'd be looking at four rims. I don't think there is enough room to put a full size spare in the space provided. (Note to Mazda--full size spare would be a plus!) 4-Seasons does provide larger battery, but no block heater. Wow--Houston to Anchorage. That isn't just an address change, but a complete climate/air quality/scenery change!! Not to mention the daylight/darkness aspect. Did I miss anything, Java? danandkat
    Yes, thx Steve. Spare set of steel rims for your winter tires. Heck, those are cheap, and will pay for themselves in like a year so you don't have to pay to have the tires swapped 2x/yr. Having a spare set of rims w/snows on them will save you time when that first storm hits, so you don't have to wait in line at the tire shop. Also, it is not good to install/remove tires alot, as it can damage the rim, and deteriorates the tire's bead, decreasing the tire's life.

Steve, the 4Seasons includes (according to mazdausa.com)... larger radiator, larger (really big) windshield fluid tank, HD wiper motor, rear heat (nice to have), heartier battery, tranny cooler, heated mirrors (nice!), additional cooling fan for radiator, heavy-duty rear defroster. Did I miss anything there? Really, heated seats would be nice, but that's a luxury item and (imho) not necessary, just would be nice to have (no, not available on the US model of the MPV right now).

Right, a block heater isn't included in the FourSeasons package. If you're being moved up for 'the company,' then you're prolly gonna get a house w/a heated garage, thus negating the need for such a heater really. I've got a block heater on my Volvo and never have used it.

/j
    Whoaa..you're moving from this swell (Ok, hot, humid, bugs, traffic..) climate to the cold Java country? Hey, that's it.....move all the Texans to Alaska and then annex it. :))
    I too looked at the Ody and also the hyped-up prices here in Houston. No deal.

Java: I thought I was a computer pig with four @ home. I have a dozen boxes of computer parts that my wife wants to toss out (besides me) and at least one computer strewn apart modifying. I come home at nights and one of the kids usually asks which computer I'm tearing down so he/she can do their homework.
    Don't like the new look - required one extra click to get here. All that extra wear and tear on my index finger. Hmmm, will have to try little finger to spread the pain out.
    :))
    You're right about the block heater, but it's so much fun driving around the Lower 48 with an electric plug hanging out of your hood :-) They're easy enough to add later if need arises.

Too bad about the spare space - guess the magic seat gets in the way.

I never had heated seats, but I can't help but think they'd be nice. But maybe I'm just getting cold natured in my old age. It's currently a breezy 68 in Boise and I'm shivering. Too many Anchorage winters will do that to you :-)

Steve
    Host

• tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    I use them to search for MPV content, serve a few things up to the world, and some work related stuff when it begins to interfere with having fun.

And yes, they all run constantly.

Brought home some of the parts in our MPV ;)
    lol tboner. My d.w. always says, "how much of this electric bill is from your 'farm?'" every month. Of course, you don't have to heat that room. Ever. I've used mine (content coming) to answer questions, dragging the laptop out to the garage, also to install the changer, w/diagrams on-screen. Thank goodness for wireless nics. Now if I can just get an MPV mod for my GTA3 video game... Those roll down windows would come in handy for some of the missions, lol.

/j
    I have 9 boxes - one works. I'm gonna make an Inuksuk out of the dead ones, using a monitor for the head.

I can think of no way to associate this with MPV content ....

Steve
    Host

• tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    ...I do a lot of VNC work.

I'm running the UD client that search for cancer proteins, on the farm.

TB
    Cancer Survivor