Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    ab348 : Never heard of one, would be nice though. The cargo net never seems good enough.

moonshadow : My brother in law's dad has them on his Lincon I believe but I have no idea if he likes them. I may look into them next year when I need to replace the OEMs though I think I will loose some handling if the Eagles are gone.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I'm very happy with these after 7000 miles. Very quiet on the highway. Got 'em late last winter so didn't have much time in the snow but I imagine they'll be as good as any other all-season tire.
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Haven't seen one mentioned anywhere. I did buy the insert when I picked up the car in Jan '99. Looks like a tub with dividers. IIRC, I paid $90 for it. Still use it today - only been out of the trunk twice when service was trying to pin down the rear suspension noise. I carry all my cleaning sullpies, towels, a quart of Mobil 1 and a gallon of DexCool and nothing falls over.

Take it out and hose it down when dirty...

Deke
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Installed a set of these last spring on our 99 GL. Paid $72 per tire from Tirerack.com and then another $92 for shipping and mount/balance. Great bang for the buck. Ride improved, they are quiet on the highway and seem to be fine in the wet. Haven't tried them in the snow yet, though. Probably not the right choice for the "autocrosser" out there as they are a good, all-season, smooth-ride-oriented tire. It does say something that my sister had these mounted on her 91 Cougar (rear-drive) last winter and she swears by them in the snow.
  • Options
    racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    I too have the trunk liner and am a big fan. Can throw all my baseball equipement in there for the whole summer and hose off the liner in the fall. Carpet on the inside stays completely mint.

You can check out some different GM trunk liners here:
    http://www.gmparts4u.com/prodlist.asp?NodeID=200282&TopID=200- 252
  • Options
    jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    It's been over a year since I lost my Intrigue to an accident. I don't check this board much anymore but recent ruminations on the year gone by caused me to read some other forums and posts about the Intrigue. Seems like so many have similar problems, it's alarming. Reading those forumns makes me glad she's gone. I've enjoyed my 02 Maxima a bunch. It's superior in every way I can think of except the Intrigue had an independent rear suspension. Nevertheless, the Maxima still rides nicer on most surfaces and feels more solid.
     I still notice Intrigues on the road. Always will. Hope y'alls are trouble free. The Maxima has been basically trouble free.
  • Options
    If I didn't have the Intrigue I think the Maxima would be my first choice. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, have yet to spend a dime on repairs at 48K miles. Only significant expense so far was new tires.
  • Options
    Used to like the Max, don't like the look of the new one at all so it would sadly not be on the shopping list anymore. Some of Nissans new looks are pretty questionable IMO. I also don't like the Armada with the big dip in the middle of the roof line.

As for my Intrigue, have not put a dime into it either with 68K kms on the dial though I will need new tires next year,
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Seeing as there are a few who like the Maxima, figured I'd put in my $.02....

Bought a new Camry LE-V6 to replace the wife's 12 year-old Toyota Tercel. After driving it a few times, I have new-found respect for the Olds.

Camry's seat cushions are too short - they end halfway to the knee where the Intrigue's reach all the way to my knee.

Camry has less elbow room, the console is wider in the footwell (less room) and the hand brake rubs against my right thigh.

Although the Camry has a nice solid THUNK when closing the doors, they feel thinner than the Olds'. Visibility is OK, but without a spoiler, you don't know where the end of the car is. Toyota's spoiler is an add-on and it LOOKS it. The spoiler on my Intrigue, IMHO, makes the car look better, less "droopy" in the rear, and since I can see it in the mirror, a great help when parking and backing!

Toyota's 3.0 Litre V6 is VERY peppy due to the DOHC and variable valve timing. The drive by wire takes a little getting used to with the instantaneous throttle response. The 5 speed auto is so smooth, you don't feel shifts (just see the drop of the tach needle) unless you let off the gas at a shift point, then you feel the downshift.

I like the Camry, but I seem to feel safer in the Olds. Maybe it's because it's bigger, or I've owned it longer (4 1/2 years VS a month).

If I had to replace the Intrigue......tough call. Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport, maybe. Hyundai XG350L if I didn't care about resale value. No SUV, that's for sure. A Dodge 2500 Ram Hemi would be nice!

Sorry to ramble here.

Deke
  • Options
    Camry V6 is pretty nice, but the new look is a big turn off for me. It also seems like an old people car much like a Buick Century in my mind. The new Solara is better though.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    dekster: My inlaws purchased an 03 Camry XLE V6 with every option except the spoiler. I have driven it on several occasions. Nice car. Decently quiet, perky drive train, nice build quality. But I too find the seats don't fit me as well as the Intrigue. I find myself squirming around to find a comfortable position. And I find the Intrigue seems to have more personality', i.e. is more fun to drive, even though it is not as silky smooth as the Camry.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I never really liked its looks, whether the new generation or the previous one. And IMO only the new generation has a chassis worth considering. The previous generation 3.0 V6 was not impressive to drive either.

Now, I think that Infiniti may be in the right path with the G35, but it's too expensive. If only there would be a Nissan version...

Having said this, if the Maxima for the American market were like the one for the Japanese market, I'd get it in a heart beat: photo #1, photo #2, photo #3. At least they got rid of that tapir nose. :-)
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,135
    Talking about replacements for me is a little premature since I've only had mine for 2 months now and love everything about it. But it's in the shop the last couple of days (warranty is fixing a clearcoat problem on the bumper cover) and the dealer gave me a loaner, a brand-new Chevy Venture.

I never realized how good the Intrigue was until I drove that. If the Venture is typical of other GM cars then maybe I understand why people are down on them. It doesn't drive very well, the controls are awkward, and the trim is somewhat chintzy. It does have the benefit of being free but that's about it. I can't wait to get my Intrigue back!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Keep in mind it's a van not a car.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    But it is based on the GM10 chassis(Lumina, etc.)
    I have driven a Venture and the OLds sister and they are just awful.
  • Options
    My Impala is for sale in autotrader.
    Searching for a '90-97 Lexus LS 400 as it's replacement.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    from my experience seem to be way behind in fit/finish/engine/driveability. Safety ratings are not class leading either.
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Why so with the impala? Didn't you just get that a year or so ago?
  • Options
    Bought it June 1, 2001 as the replacement for the Intrigue.
    It never had the will that the Intrigue had.
    I have had several problems with it.
    just spent $556 on front wheel bearing.
    Suspension has noise on various types of rough pavement.
    It is a great driving car and very comfortable.
    Lots of room.
    payment is $425 mo.
    payment on a 15K Lexus will be about $275.
    On a 5K Lexus it will be less than $100.

I think I have finally come to the realization that new cars are about the worst financial
    choice you can make.

I had a unsatisfactory dealer relationship with the intrigue and okay relationship with the Impala.

I am done with GM's FWD offerings.

A higher quality used car is the way to go.
    I get a better built vehicle. And a better
    driving vehicle for much less.
  • Options
    My old boss bought a used Lexus. Worst thing he ever did. High demand = high prices, theft rate and insurance. His car was broken into twice is 2 1/2 years. Car was not even close to trouble free either and servicing was expensive.

Buy a one year old Impala if you want to go used and save yourself lots of $$ (assuming you still like the car which you always said you did).
  • Options
    v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    Your right on about a new car(ANY NEW CAR) being one of the worst financial decisions one can make. The only way I'll do a new car again(other than if I win a lottery or something) is a lease on a luxury car. I've had my 2001 Lincoln LS almost 2 months now and am still extremely impressed with it. Some people simply want reliable transportation with few frills and the comfort of a warranty and for them, a fairly reasonbly priced new car may be the way to go. But for me, I'm with you about a used luxury car being the way to go. Actually, I realized this in 2001 when I bought the Intrigue, but thought that my going with the top of the line model, I would get some of that luxury feel. And the temptation of a 5 year/60K warranty snuck in. While I did get alot of luxury level features, the overall design and structure of the car was just not up to luxury car levels nor my liking. And this would hold true had the car not had a single problem. Bottom line, a car like the Intrigue makes more sense at a lower trim level(and lower price) such as the base or GL model.

Good luck on finding the Lexus you want. While a $100 a month payment is tempting, I'd look for a 95 or newer as the car was significantly updated in 95. And while it may be a Lexus/Toyota, the older one gets the more potential it could have for problems. You still owe it to yourself to look for a low mileage 2001/02 Lincoln LS V8 to test drive as well:)

I'm done with pretty much any automaker's FWD offerings.
  • Options
    "I'm done with pretty much any automaker's FWD offerings".

Why?
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    cost $319 cdn plus taxes from dealer. Anyone has a better deal? I am putting my car away for the winter.
  • Options
    taycrontaycron Member Posts: 65
    I like my car but I am a little disappointed in the ride. The FWD seems to be a little erratic. It never feels solid. I had a tire balance and a front end alignment but I'm still not satisfied. I am bringing it back to the dealer to see if they can fix it. Is it a common problem with the Intrigues? If so, are there any remedies like different springs or shocks? My old 89 Peugeot 405 seemed to have a more solid front end.
  • Options
    My Intrigue feels glued to the road. Best handling & highway riding car I ever owned. Suggest yours must have some sort of problem.

• Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    My biggest headache right now with my Intrigue is my tires. These Dunlop SP Sport A2s are so noisy it's painful. I plan on getting them replaced before the winter, especially since I'm down to the wear indicators after just under 20K miles. Only other issue is the front end popping, but with the tires being as loud as they are it's hardly noticeable. Other than that I'm still very happy with my 4-year old Intrigue.
  • Options
    The Intrigue is one of the best handling mid size sedans, even now. Highway is always a pleasure!
  • Options
    Some of you may recall my positng a month or so back about the used $29,000 '02 GLS that was for sale at a dealer here. They held that price for the longest time but finally dropped it a couple of weeks ago. I had showed the car to a buddy of mine when we were out in mine right after I bought it. He was very taken with it since it had every possible option. White GLS, neutral 2-tone leather, gold package, PCS, chrome wheels, Bose, the works.

Anyway he was unable to resist and he bought the car. He thinks its almost too nice to drive! So he is detailing it and will drive it until the weather worsens, then store it for the winter. It has gone to a very good home.

• Options
    The last few months at an increased rate, thats the sound of my front end when I reverse out of parking lots while cranking the wheel.

Anyone confirm that I need the ISS lube, or could it be something else?
  • Options
    After driving a well balanced RWD sedan(i.e. my LS) there is a distinct difference in the ride and handling characteristics. While the Intrigue wasn't bad when it came to torque steer, it did have a little. The neat thing with the Lincoln is I can nail the gas while making and turn and the car tracks in it's intended direction. The LS is the first RWD car I've ever had so I had gotten used to FWD and would consider the Intrigue good for a FWD car. Now that I've become acustomed to RWD, I don't think I want to go back.
  • Options
    Was 190 miles into a 200 mile trip home yesterday when I suddenly hear this fairly low frequency rat-a-tat-tat sound which seemed to be eminating from the rear wheel area. Almost sounded like a tire going flat. Pulled off, looked all around and saw nothing. Tires were just fine. Got back on the freeway and just before my exit (about 8 miles after I pulled off) it started again. It seemed to disappear as I slowed to around 40 and I didn't hear it again driving thru town after exiting the freeway.

The best way to describe it would be a machine gun. Distinct low frequency burps evenly spaced but very rapid, sort of like when you tied a baloon to your bike as a kid and it rattled against the spokes. Any ideas?
  • Options
    I learned to drive on a RWD wagon but I guess I can see where you are coming from. I guess I need to really take a CTS out for a 24 hour drive to really get a feel for it.

I think the new LaCross is suppose to be RWD.
  • Options
    If it was an old body-on-frame RWD wagon, don't even try to think that new RWD cars drive the same. TOTALLY different driving characteristics. If you get a chance somtime, I would test drive a RWD sedan such as a CTS or LS. A 24 hour test drive would be ideal as you really notice the difference the more you spend time with the car.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    From what I have read it will be an updated current W-body chassis (Regal/Century), r.e. front wheel drive. It will be more updated than 04 Grand Prix, but still the same old same old. Next gen GM midsize will (supposedly) get rear-drive; econo version of the CTS chassis.
  • Options
    Oh well, I'm ok with FWD as long as it's similar to the Intrigue.

Century is a goner thankfully. LaCross must be on the same Regal/GP/Impala platform then. Should be some screaming deals on Grand Sports next spring / summer.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    CarMax offered me $9300 for my '00GL,sunroof,spoiler,cloth,38000mi. I thought this was reasonable. Doubt that I'll sell,thou. I don't know what I can buy that would match the Intrigue in features, performance,looks and comfort without spending atleast $15k. (Used, not new). Fortunately, I have no real reason to sell, just always enjoy a change of vehicles.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    See how much you like RWD in the snow and ice. Even with traction control, its still inferior to FWD...
  • Options
    dpd2dpd2 Member Posts: 10
    My front end goes pop,pop,pop too. I believe its the plastic caps over the lug nuts on the wheels. Mine pop when not moving, sitting in the garage, after a drive.
  • Options
    I had read somewhere that RWD with proper traction / skid controls can be as good as FWD. Not sure if it's true though.
  • Options
    My car has always made a tonne of noise after I park it but it is all the catalytic converter making tinging noises as it cools down.
  • Options
    nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    I was hearing that noise too and also wondering. I checked it out- dpd2 is correct, it is the lug nut caps. Go try pushing on them and they will make that noise. I thought it might be the ISS thing I was reading so much about too.
  • Options
    Take that $9300 and don't look back.
  • Options
    Last night after reading the messages about the lug nut caps I went out and pushed on my caps. Mine do not make any noise. So I'm back to the ISS theory for now.
  • Options
    TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    As owner of both an Intrigue and a RWD BMW 530, I can attest to the fact that the handling in the BMW is superior to the Intrigue in every way (no surprise) EXCEPT in snow and ice.

In the snow, ice and even heavy rain with water accumulation on the roads, the BMW stays in the garage and the Intrigue is the car of choice. Traction control and anti-skid are nice, but it is no substitute for weight directly over the drive wheels. The law of physics prevails over teechnology in this scenario - bar none. I'm reminded of it every time I see a RWD in the ditch - when it snows.
  • Options
    I always thought FWD was better, glad to hear I wasn't wrong. I'll likely stick with FWDs unless I can afford to garage a car during snow storms.
  • Options
    nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    I know this has been talked about to death, but my car is doing the headlight flicker. I just purchased this car in the summer (2001 GL) Since I haven't heard any talk about this can I correctly guess that a solution has since been found by GM? I remember reading about a "cold weather" type alternator that someone said did the trick. Is this correct? The car is still under warranty, so at least that's something good.
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    You have probably a 50/50 chance of the updated alt. fixing you up. Some get lucky with one some have had seven, i am on my third.

If the firstalt. doesn't fix it then cold weather is not the culprit. Mine can happen any time of year, in any weather, at any time of day no matter what kind of underwear i have on. There is no pattern. I had luck by cleaning the gnd connection just back a few inches of the battery that connects to the frame.

If your under warranty, take it in and the the alt replaced. Who knows you may be one of the lucky ones.

From Gm 's point of view it is "a normal operating characteristic of the car". My handy Gm / english dictionary translates as " a defect and we're not going do anything about it." How they expect repeat busniess is beyond me. I can only guess that they think the buying public are naive with short term memories and judge this major purpose on emotion only. For example " oh look at the fancy rims, i gotta have it, how much.

Sorry, but gm's lack of concern about flickering headlights just gets my goat.
  • Options
    While I haven't been an Intrigue owner in over 2 months now, I've finally put together a website with some pictures of the car. So now, everyone can see my old 2001 Olds Intrigue GLS. And you can also see some pics of my new ride. http://home.earthlink.net/~erikt1976/

As of about a week ago, the dealer I traded at still had my Intrigue so if anyone is interested in it, I can hook you up:)
  • Options
    This talk of headlight flicker made me remember that standard feature on the Intrigue. Having never seen the lights flicker(or even dim) on my LS, I had almost forgotten how cool it was to have headlights that winked at oncoming motorists.
  • Options
    While I agree it is a problem that has not been delt with well for all that have had it, I never got the feeling from my dealer that it was an insignificant problem or one that could not be fixed. They didn't question my claim and replaced the alternator immediately as they knew about the issue and the service bulletin. Maybe GM Canada is better with warranty claims than in the U.S., I don't know. All I know is that GM has typically taken much better care of me than Honda or Ford ever did. From what I have heard of other car makes, the term the "grass always looks greener on the other side" really applies here.