Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Engine Problems

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,879
    What kind of filter were they concerned about? Something typical off the shelf like a Fram or something a bit more exotic?

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    berg3,

I'm glad to hear that everything worked out in the end for you! Hope that the repair process goes well!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • berg3berg3 Posts: 4
    Standard off the shelf
    Thank you Sarah. I hope so too. If it doesn't, I will surely let you know :)
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Don't think you need to use a GM dealership for service. Since they can't force you to use an OEM oil filter (that's against the law) seeing that you're driving an Acadia, you might consider using AC Delco oil filters as it will help your case should you have another catastrophic oil filter failure the next time around.
    In theory I know you're right. I read somewhere on Edmunds that said afterrmarket parts can't be used to void a warranty. But it sounds like people are having to get lawyers to defend that position. I'd rather just avoid it completely and have the peace of mind. It's exactly what these companies want you to do, which is unfair. The same reason why they make it impossible to change a headlamp (takes me about 45 seconds to change one on my 4Runner).I'm sure there's a forum for that somewhere. What a scam. Thanks for the advice.
  • I WOULD NEVER TOUGHT THAT MY NEW USED 2010 ACADIA WOULD CATCH ON FIRE WHILE DRIVING MY KIDS TO SCHOOL . I WAS SO HAPPY WHEN I FIRST GOT IT . I TOOK THE ACADIA TO A MARK CHRISTOPHER DEALERSHIP BECAUSE WHEN I BOUGHT IT I WAS TOLD IT WAS STILL UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY AND THEY KEPT GIVING ME THE RUN AROUND WERE NOT WILLING TO HELP ME AT ALL THEY JUST WANTED MONEY . EVEN WHEN I TRIED TO DO IT TROUGH MY INS BECAUSE THEY TOLD ME THAT IF I SUBMITED A CLAIM WITH MARK CHRISTOHER MANUFACTOR THAT THEY CAN TAKE UP TOO 200 DAYS AND THERE IS NO WAY THAT I CAN BE WITHOUT MY SUV FOR THAT LONG AND KEEP PAYING FOR IT EVERY MONTH. I AM TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED AND I TOUGHT MARK CHRISTOPHER WOULD OF BEEN ABLE TO HELP IT SEEMED AS IF IT WOULD OF BEEN BETTER FOR ALL OFF US TO BURN OR EXPLODE IN THE VEHICLE AND THEN THEY WOULD OFF TAKEN SOME ACTION.
  • We're happy to look into this further with you, ojitosverdes. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details, including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Wow! We too are experiencing the same problems as others on this forum. Our 2007 Acadia had the timing chain snap right before Christmas. Had it towed to Marty's GMC, where they informed us the engine was shot and they could replace it for approximately $7,000!

We were just out of warranty, and so opened a case with GM customer service. Case Number
    71-1137491362.

Regional GM Manager went to dealership to inspect the engine and told us we had missed one oil change and the engine was too sludged up for them to do anything for us.

We then had a GM Technician from another dealership inspect the engine and he told us it was clean. Don't know where to turn next, but feels like we are being taken advantage of as others have been on this forum.

GM needs to step up and resolve these issues.
  • The timing chains were recalled.
  • I should have included in my post that the timing chain was replaced as part of the recall in august of 2010. This is the new 2 year old timing chain that broke.
  • I feel your pain. I well documented my troubles with GM on another thread about the transmissions. GM customer service actually helped me out quite a bit financially. My Acadia was low miles but a few months out of warranty. The local dealership I went to on the other hand, Thomas GMC of Johnstown PA, was a joke and incompetent. Needless to say, I traded in the Acadia the day after I got the car back, three weeks after it went in.
  • matt07matt07 Posts: 1
    I have been a long time GM owner, still own my 1998 Chev pick up with over 215,000 miles on it. I currently drive a 2011 Impala, and my wife used to drive a 2007 GMC Acadia. That is until about a week and a half ago. Since then she has been using my mother's car.

Apparently the engine went out. 108,000 miles, and 6 months over the warranty. So I thought that GM may work with me a bit to keep me a customer, I guessed wrong. They closed the case and are going to do nothing. Basically saying pound sand.

Thanks.

Oh did I mention that at 82,000 miles the whole engine was torn apart to replace the transmission, and timing chain, guess that would have nothing to do with the fact that my engine became a pile of steaming poop. :mad:

Perhaps I can get some satisfaction when they get the class action suite going for the 2007 Acadia. What a total lemon. :lemon:

Hello Ford, and Chrysler, goodbye GM. I will still hold true to american car companies, but the list just got shorter.
  • I am not loyal to GM or any other U.S. maker anymore. I never owed a foreign vehicle before but I just traded the Acadia in on a Kia Sorento packed with every option they offer for less than the price of a base model of any American car in it's class with the best warranty in the industry and I couldn't be happier or prouder of my decision. The Kia I just bought has tons of power and can compete luxury wise with the top brands. And the Sorentos are built in Georgia. I am a union man, but that doesn't mean I am going to support these U.S. companies that sell hard working Americans heaps of junk and take advantage of them. Ford and Chrysler is just as guilty. Make quality vehicles and MAYBE I will come back. Til then, I am giving other companies an opportunity to win my business.
  • We bought our 2011 GMC Acadia about a year and a half ago. In the last couple of months we have been experiencing problems with it. We keep getting the "engine power is reduced" message, then the vehicle stalls and wont start until it has been left for at least 20 minutes. I took it to the service department and the first time it went in they said that there was nothing wrong with it because nothing was showing up on the computer. The second time I took it in they said that the fuel pump needed to be replaced and that it would take at least a week. After the pump was replace it did it again while I was driving on the freeway! "Engine power is reduced" message then it stalled in the middle of the highway! Just a little dangerous! I took it back to the service department and they replaced the Fuel intake module.

A week later it wouldn't start when I got in it after work, called the shoppe, they took it over the weekend and again said that nothing was wrong with it. Then after work on this past Friday, it stalled while I was driving again! This is getting frustrating!

Just a side note, we have never let the vehicle run out of gas! That is what they thought at first!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,164
    todd_jodie,

Correct me if I'm wrong - I see that you used the English spelling of shop (shoppe) - are you writing from outside of the US? I only ask to see if I will be able to offer our assistance or if I will need to refer you elsewhere.

• jpfjpf Posts: 496
    "Reduced engine power" problems are typically related to the throttle body or gas pedal cable. Other GM vehicles also have this problem. For example, check out the Impala forums for this problem. Good luck.
  • Sarah that's to funny but yes we are in Canada. I just picked the Acadia up from the "shop" today and they said that it was some loose fuses.
    jpf-thanks for the info, I will look into it!
    todd_jodie,

Good to know! :) If you needed to contact customer service for your region, GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

• I also own a 2007 Acadia with nothing but problems.
    Is there really a class action suit? Can you link any info here please??
    thanks!
  • gmcwoesgmcwoes Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    We purchased our 2007 GMC Acadia just over 2 years ago and it has less than 100K miles (74K). The truck was shifting gears w/o human intervention, and making rough jerking motions (like someone was pushing it from behind,)so we took it in to dealer shop that sold it to us. You guessed it, "no problem found!"
    Today, the truck will not reverse-- it just revs. It will drive forward but it will not go backwards, at all. Luckily, it was started in the garage. However, it was driven on a major highway earlier and this transmission issue, could have been the end of my life.

Please provide link to info on any Class Action Suit for the 2007 Acadia. PLEASE!
  • We are having a similar problem that I see others on this forum are having. We purchased our used 2009 GMC Acadia SLT in 2011. Our reason for buying this vehicle was that it accommodated our large family and had the remainder of the three year-36,000 bumper to bumper and 5 year-100,000 mile powertrain WARRANTY. We have put 26,000 miles on since then, changing the oil every 5,000 miles. A little while back there was a loud ticking noise in the engine. The oil was changed at 55,000 miles and the ticking continued. Three weeks ago today, we took the car to a GM dealer for service. We were told the next day that the engine needed to be replaced due to lack of maintenance and that we used an after marked oil filter (Fram Tough Guard). The service manager told us there was a bulletin put out regarding after market oil filters, but to this day we have not received any correspondence from GM regarding this. Since we change the oil ourselves, we do not keep the receipts. Both the dealer and GM say they have "no loyalty" to us because we did not purchase the vehicle from a GM dealership. At first, GM said they would pay 50% of the new engine cost. Now after three weeks, they will pay 65%. We do not feel we should have to pay any of the cost because it is under a warranty that GM will not honor! We keep asking for a specific problem with the engine and get the very general "lack of maintenance". We have contacted the regional directors and filed a complaint with GM customer care and our response is that as long as the service manager says it's lack of maintenance, we have no recourse. Why doesn't GM stand behind their vehicle and honor the warranties? Thank you for any input you all may have!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    You should also file a complaint with the BBB online against both your dealer and GM. That should help you to at least identify the problem with the engine.
  • Thank you. If we do not get any satisfactory conclusion from the dealer or GM that is our next step. Our engine has sludge all over it, it is a known engine problem for GM and they won't do anything about it. I have been without my vehicle for 3 weeks and have 4 children, 2who are in car seats. Our other vehicle is a pick up truck so we cannot even take our family anywhere. This has been a huge inconvnience for us and GM just doesn't seem to care. Again, they are telling us the engine problems are our fault but won't tell us what specfically is wrong. The BBB will definitely be our next call. Thanks again for your suggestion!
  • dna95dna95 Posts: 1
    Hi In Oct 2012 our 2011 Acadia caught on fire while parked. GM is trying to settle it as product liability instead of through the Lemon Law act. This way they get my insurance company to pay me market value and the want to give us a very small amount. We are extremely dissappointed on how GM is handling this they don't care about their customers at all. Our Acadia was totaled and we have been without our SUV since October of last year. Very dissappointing.

Did they replace or take care of your matter in an acceptable manner?
  • sgttomsgttom Posts: 1
    My Wife and I bought our GMC Acadia SLT2 AWD in 2011 and have had nothing but issues since buying it. Fail #1, a complete transmission failure in which GM did a complete transmission replacement (not just fix but we got a brand new transmission). The "Certified" GM mechanic said there was complete gear failure. Oh, did I mention we had taken it in to a dealership prior to our trip we were taking and they said nothing was wrong with it. Fail #2, once again, taken to a dealership about the "CAT" sounding power steering. Again we were told that "All GMC Acadia's make that noise". After test driving almost every 2012 model GMC Acadia's on the lot and determining that none of them sound like mine they set out to replace the entire power steering system. That worked for about 3 months and the "CAT" was back! Fail #3, while on the way to our new home, the warning alarm chimed in and told us to service stabilitrack and traction control. Upon reading many blogs on the Acadia it seems that this issue exists in almost every Acadia. Hey what do you know, the dealership told us that nothing was wrong. (FACTORY WARRANTY EXPIRES) Fail #4, the low beam head light goes out and to my surprise you have to take it to the dealership to get it replaced due to the fact that you have to take the whole wheel well out to get to the head lights. Thanks GM! Fail #5, on a one hour trip on open/flat interstate our transmission (replaced less than 30,000 mile ago) is now over heating and the return of Fail #3. Oh and don't forget the "CAT" is still there. So here we are taking it back to the dealership to try to fix all three issues, but I'm sure nothing is wrong with it. Why is it that GM is still selling this chunk of crap and nothing has been done to fix all of these issues the 2013 Acadia has all the same issues as the '08?
    sgottom,
    Have you already been in contact with Customer Assistance on these concerns?
  • hello everyone my name is Rick and my wife and i bought our acadia in 2007 right off the lot with no miles. we never had any problems with it, anytime there was a recall we would take it in and problem solved. But in december of 2012 with no warning my acadia started to shake and jerk while i was driving about 50 miles an hour. i got to my parents house and turned vehicle off then turned on and vehicle seemed fine so i left it alone. about three hours later i turned the vehicle on and it was hard to start when it turned on the vehicle started shaking real bad and turned off, tried to start again and that was all she wrote not one attemt to turn on. I knew there were issues with this car but i thought i was one of the lucky ones because my acadia had 125,000 mile on it so i knew i had no warranty. I knew i could not afford any engine work so i let the car sit until i got my tax return. I then went to dealership and explained what happened then the service rep told me there was a type off recall for the timing chain but it would omly be covered untill 120000 miles. So i called gm and the rep told me that if i took the vehicle in and it turned out to be the timing chain they would cover if the vehicle had 1000000 miles because it was a recall. So I saved money just incase it wasnt the timing chain and took the car in. 5 days later the dealer tells me it was the timing chain but that the tech said engine looked very bad on the inside and he did'nt know if a new timing chain would fix it. So i call gm and i offer them instead of paying for a timing chain to put that money towards a new engine i would pay the difference and they said it was more likely that the timing chain would repair the issue. so i tell them to replace the 3500 worth of timing chain and gm only covered 1000. now the dealer calls me the timing chain wasnt enough and that i will probably need a new engine, when i was trying to avoid this whole timing chain with a new engine to begin with. waiting to talk to regional service rep from gm but she hasnt called me back. I really hope they cover all the 3500 dollars for the timing chain and all pay for the new engine myself.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    As they say hindsight is 20-20. Unfortunately, these engines are very complex. The engine has 3 timing chains. That's why it costs $3,500 to replace them and only about $1,000 for most cars with a single timing chain or belt. You would have been better off having the entire engine replaced and getting whatever you can from GM towards a new engine. Good luck.
  • kblack4kblack4 Posts: 1
    My wife and I had a 2012 denali acadia that caught fire, our ins doesnt want to pay because they think the fire wasnt an accident what was the cause of your fire and or do you know and how did you get into contact with gm?