Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I'm sure being long-winded had nothing to do with it... [sarcasm] lol

I defy anyone to come consistently within 18" of anything that u would dread to tap or touch by accident. Most owners will think..."there, that's as far as i dare go" and will find they are 3' out. I'm sure this all contributes to the very good crash worthiness in all directions, but ergonomically, looking out in any direct except the fr and fr diagonal...basically? well it sucks.

Didn't sit in back seat or look in trunk or under hood etc..
    Steering felt weighted ok for parking lot speeds. I am still no fan of electric but such is the way the world is going...long live VW's hydraulic steering assist..

Will be able to report more findings with better wx and a road test.
  • Options
    overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    In past weeks there was much hype about the Elantra and how on paper it was a Cruze killer. Finally, a few reviews are in and its basically very similar to Cruze. MT just posted road test today and the Elantra is SLOWER than the Cruze in spite of weighing far less and having more hp. C&D got slightly different results with the Hyundai being .3 secs faster. Niether publication was blown away by the handling but they felt it was competent for the class. MT averaged 32mpg while C&D was well under that figure and well under the EPA combined figure. So what we're left with is a car that really doesnt perform better than the Chevy but offers slightly more for the money. The two cars appear to be nearly dead even in most regards in spite of the paper advantages for the Hyundai.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why did you expect the Elantra to perform better than the Cruze?

IMO 32.2 mpg overall is pretty darn good for a car with a mid-sized interior. What did MT average on the Cruze?

Given two cars that are "dead even in most regards" but one costs significantly less when similarly equipped... that is a pretty easy decision, yes?

Link to MT review:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1012_2011_hyundai_elantra_test/specs.- html
  • Options
    dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    The Car&Driver review of the Elantra slammed it for it's noisy engine and econo-box ride. Not unexpected at 2700lbs. A good looking economy car the Elantra is however.

From C&D: "What? Can’t hear you over the engine noise; noisy, lumpy ride."

C&D Test
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's hard not to get the impression that MT and C/D drove two totally different cars. For example, MT got 6 mpg more than C/D (with their admittedly "very heavy feet"), and MT said of the Elantra's engine, "The Nu engine is a nice piece, delivering smooth and linear power all the way to redline without ever sounding overworked", while C/D talks about "high-pitched racket at high RPM". MT says the ride is "smooth and comfortable", and C/D says it's lumpy and noisy.

What will be more useful is when the Cruze is compared head-to-head vs. competitors like the Elantra. I would expect Edmunds, MT and/or C/D to run one of those comparos once the Focus is available for testing.
  • Options
    I've driven plenty of Hyundai products. Noisy and lumpy is how I would describe them. Easy choice for me and anyone who wants a premium small car is the Cruze. It's the hands down winner over a 2700lb econo-box from Korea.

Now if you don't mind shouting at the person next you while listening to the roar of the engine and the wind coming in around the door seals? Buy yourself a Hyundai - they've got cheap down to a science.
  • Options
    Fortunately, unlike the boy racers at C/D, I never get anywhere close to redline. So engine whine has never been a problem for me, even on the Hyundais I've owned. (None was noisy and lumpy, fwiw.)

btw... I don't see any mention in the MT and C/D reviews of wind coming in around the door seals. Did you hear wind noise through the door seals when you drove the 2011 Elantra? How was the engine noise for you?
  • Options
    chev salesmen not driving the competition
  • Options
    saintsinnersaintsinner Member Posts: 3
    "...slightly more for the money" :surprise: not even close I just tested both vehicles and with my budget of $24,000 (OTD) I can buy Cruze 2LT or fully loaded Elantra with premium package including navigation, sunroof, backup camera, premium audio and 5 year bumper to bumper warranty instead of Cruze 3 year. I'm very impressed with amount of interior space in Cruze it's probably because it shares platform with Volt. It feels more solid then Elantra but value difference :mad: is huge.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    "Value" is a very interesting and oft-misused term. It can be getting what seems like more for your money now, or getting something solidly built and refined over the longer term. The jury is still very much out for Hyundai on that score. Like a lot of WalMart-type products, lets see if it lasts or turns out to be disposable.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Some data points: My 2001 Elantra is still going strong, owned by my sister since 2006. My 2004 Elantra drives like new... no rattles or squeaks, reliable (like the 2001). My 2007 Sonata looks and drives like new, just took it on a cross-country trip with my family and a loaded trunk; reliable car for me and the previous owner.

How many Hyundais have you owned?

I think you are living in the past. The jury is no longer out on that score. The jury WAS out until very recently as to whether GM could build a competitive small car. The Cruze proves that it can. At a premium cost, yes, but a very nice small car and fully competitive in the class. Cobalt, RIP!
  • Options
    The Hyundai fanboys are back (backy) in force. Praising their beloved Hyundai's for all the world to see. Hyundai faithful always say their cars are the best money can buy. If you think Hyundai is so great, go back to the Elantra thread and extoll it's virtues for all the world to see. Tell each other how Hyundai is God's gift to the automotive world and can do no wrong. Tell each other how you got the best deal in the universe. But reality tells a different tale. I've driven many Hyundai products. I like a quiet, comfortable ride and the feeling of solidity that Hyundai doesn't offer short of a Genesis.

Hyundai faithful cover the Internet well - too well.
  • Options
    LOL. This thread was started by overbrook. Are you including him in the "Hyundai fanboys" group? Are you going to banish him to the Elantra discussions also?

I don't see anyone here saying Hyundais are the best cars money can buy, or God's gift etc. etc. I just see attempts to use facts in a civil discussion pushed aside by hyperbole and name-calling.

Sad.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I don't see anyone being a "fanboy" in this discussion, least of all myself. The occasional comparison is likely to come up... it just does.

Most of the conversation in here has surrounded the Cruze, which is great. Let's leave any personal comments out of it. We have a great midsize sedans comparison discussion, for anyone who dares to venture there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Sad? Not really. I have standards that Hyundai can't meet. Simple as that. I appreciate a solid car that is smooth running. I test drove a 2007 Sonata that sounded like I was in a convertible. The road noise and bouncy ride reminded of the go-cart I had as a kid.

If Hyundai products meet your standards, like your sister's 10 year old jewel of an Elantra - buy them. Some people gladly accept lesser products to save a dime. I don't.
  • Options
    carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    I'm very confused how you can say the jury is still out? There are plenty of ultra high mileage Hyundais on the road already. As an example, my cheap boss relies on only ONE car for him and his family, a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe with over 175000 miles. He loves to inform me that he hasn't had any repairs other than an AC compressor and just last week, the starter failed. He refuses to buy anything else because he is convinced the car is reliable and has plenty of life left. This multi business owner also loves to mention that he has owned very expensive cars in the past but no longer feels the name and prestige are important. They also must have had good luck with previous Hyundais, as their first one was a 95 Sonata and his wife literally said to me, "I love Hyundais!" when she found out I bought one.

As a sidenote, I'll be able to tell you first hand whether these cars are disposable as I use my car for delivery, which is the hardest use a car can be put through. I already have almost 8k in less than 3 months, and that's city miles! Not a single warranty repair yet. Is it perfect? No, but it's a darn good little car for the money.
  • Options
    I figured anything other than worship of the Elantra would aggravate you- as usual. I expected the Elantra to be faster because it weighs 300lbs less than the Cruze LTZ. That seems likea a reasonable assumption, especially since so many made a big deal about the Cruze being too heavy.

Elantra has less equipment than Cruze across the board- thats why its cheaper. Its $2k cheaper to start but when you see its missing AC and has less airbags and less features the price gap makes sense. SAme with Limited vs loaded LTZ- the Chevy has considerably more features and thus the price is higher. Thats how the Car business works. Focus also has a higher price and FAR more kit than the Hyundai.
  • Options
    Well it would help if you actually named all the features that were in the 2LT cruze. It would also help if you compared the $23k LTZ to the $23k Elantra Limited model, not the 2LT. The Elantra does give you heated rear seats, nav and premium audio for $23k. It does not give you 18" wheels, remote start, Onstar, 10 airbags, parking sensors, power seat or auto climate control for that sum. Sorry, but the declarations of the Elantra being a huge value proposition vs the Cruze dont pan out when you really look at ALL the features, as opposed to just the ones HYundai wants to talk about.
  • Options
    I didnt start any thread, I made a comment regarding the tested performance of the Elantra vs the Cruze. I noted that in spite of its massive weight advantage and lofty EPA ratings the Elantra is very much similar to the Cruze. Its main advantage is a lower sticker price- for less features. Before the Hyundai was tested it was being called a world beater but actualy test data shows its just one more competitive entry. The comments on handling have fallen short of outright praise. The acceleration is average for the class in spite of class leading power to weight ratio and the jury is still out on real world mileage. MT never posted real world mileage data for the Cruze so we dont know how the Chevy stacks up in their testing vs the Elantra on that front. C&D got 26mpg for the Hyundai and 25mpg for the Cruze- not a huge gap.
  • Options
    How can you deny the fact that you initiated the thread "elantra" (the one we are in right now) in this discussion? You made the first post in that thread, yes? Thus you started the thread.

Where in this discussion did anyone call the Elantra a "world beater"? Or is that your term for it?

MT posted their tested mpg, 32.2 mpg. Since they were driving in the real world, is that not "real world" mpg--the real world for automotive magazine test drivers, anyway?

Re your assertion of lower sticker price for less features, let's look objectively at that:

Elantra GLS A/T - MSRP with destination $17,800
    Cruze LS A/T - MSRP with destination $17,920

Features on Elantra not on Cruze: 4-wheel disc brakes, 148 hp engine (vs. 138 hp), body-color power adjustable and heated mirrors, cruise control, USB port, 5-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10-year powertrain warranty.

Cruze features not on Elantra: OnStar (6 month subscription), 10 air bags.

If you want features like power mirrors and cruise control on the Cruze, you need to move up to the 1LT at least with the Connectivity and Cruise package. Suppose you want a 1LT with cruise, Bluetooth, USB port, alloys, and red (my favorite color). MSRP with destination is $20,140. A similarly equipped Elantra GLS A/T with Preferred Package has an MSRP including destination of $18,350. Maybe some buyers will think OnStar (for 6 months) and 4 more air bags are worth 10% more. Or they just like how the Cruze drives, or how it looks, or the fact it's a Chevy. But there is a price premium for a car with similar features.

As for acceleration, I will take the class-leading fuel economy of the Elantra over blistering acceleration any day. I use my car for commuting and schlepping around town, and an occasional long trip--not drag racing.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, this is now turning into petty bickering, and a narrowly-focused discussion that doesn't benefit the majority of members interested in the Cruze.

Feel free to start a Cruze vs. Elantra discussion and continue there. That way, those who are interested in the conversation can follow it, and those who aren't don't have to wade through it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    The Cruze stands on its own merits based on the performance testing released so far. Its not the cheapest compact in the segment (Hyundai has that locked up) but its handling and acceleration are more than respectable. If price is the only factor for people looking in this segment there is really no need for them to look at anything BUT the Hyundai since its cheaper than virtually everything else.
  • Options
    Actually I think the Forte is the least expensive car in this market segment. Or maybe the SX4... or based on real-world pricing, maybe the current Focus is, but that will change with the new Focus.

If price is the ONLY factor, then a used car is the best option. Price is almost never the only factor. But it's a key factor for economy car buyers--and the Cruze is an economy car. Like it or not, it has to compete with all the other economy compacts, on performance, utility, safety, economy, and... price.
  • Options
    I'm well aware of what the car has to do. I disagree that its doomed for failure because the Elantra is cheaper. The 3 and 2012 Focus are also more expensive than the Elantra and you can rest assured the same will be true for the new Civic. So my point is that the Cruze's pricing isnt really out of line with the pricier entries into the segment. Hyundai always goes for the value proposition and that's fine, but I can assure you there will be plenty of Cruze's, Focus' and new Civics sold in spite of the fact that all 3 will cost more than the Elantra. Some people will prefer the style of those cars, others the features, others the power (Focus) and others the refinement. There is no such thing as a flawless car, especially for $16k so am sure Hyundai had to skimp on SOMETHING to meet the price and mileage targets.

BTW, the Focus costs even more than the Cruze will all options so I guess it too is in big trouble. In spite of all the success the 2011 Sonata had it was outsold by four other midsize sedans- all of which offer less car for the dollar than the Hyundai.
  • Options
    I disagree that its doomed for failure because the Elantra is cheaper.

C'mon now... no one here said or even hinted that the Cruze is "doomed to failure because the Elantra is cheaper." Can we get off this hyperbole thing here? Please?

I agree that there will be plenty of Cruzes, Foci, Civics et. al. sold even though their list prices are more than the Elantra's. I have already seen Cruzes discounted, before negotiating, over $3000--for an LS or 1LT, not even the high-end cars. At those prices, the Cruze becomes very compelling and very competitive price-wise with most other compacts. So in the world of real-world pricing, the higher price of the Cruze may not be an issue at all. I also see big discounts on the Mazda3, Civic, etc. It's a tough market out there. It will be interesting to see if Ford can keep the prices of the new Focus up, or if they will need to discount them heavily. I expect they will.

What does the Sonata have to do with this discussion on the Cruze??
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    In spite of all the success the 2011 Sonata had it was outsold by four other midsize sedans- all of which offer less car for the dollar than the Hyundai.

Care to compare the % increase in sales 2010/2009 for those four cars to the Sonata's? I think the Sonata increased something like 60% over the previous year. Granted they are a smaller player to begin with but how did the Malibu do? That being said, I don't really think anyone can say the best car is the one that sells the best because the Camry outsold everybody else and it certainly is not considered the best offering in the midsize field.

The big difference between the Elantra and the Cruze is refinement and economy. The Cruze is a little more refined and solid feeling than the Elantra from what I've read. The Elantra has a few more bells and whistles for the money and gets better mpg. Neither car is better the other, it just depends on the person and what they are looking for and willing to pay. Looks are totally subjective so that's strictly a personal decision as well.

The new Focus is a more compelling to because it has a few things that I personally like to have available on it and should get better mpg than the Cruze with more hp. The Cruze is solid but a little doggy for the price.
  • Options
    "C'mon now... no one here said or even hinted that the Cruze is "doomed to failure because the Elantra is cheaper." Can we get off this hyperbole thing here? Please?"

Yes - it's time for us to be more congenial. :) So let's be objective here. Hyundai/Kia are trying to offer the most "bang for the buck" and grow their market share. Clearly they're succeeding on that front. Just because I haven't cared for the driving experience they offer (or offered in the past) doesn't mean they don't make decent cars these days that serve as reliable transportation for many.

The Cruze is nice offering by Chevrolet. I took them up on the $50 Target Gift Card offer to test drive a Cruze. I liked it. Was it great? No, but I would call it good and I drove the LS with an auto. It handled very well and the fit and finish were excellent inside and out. That said, it is not for me. Disappointed in the Cruze? No, but the new Buick Verano with the 2.4DI engine will be more my speed.

I believe Hyundai/Kia will be putting a high focus on NVH over the next few years. If they can successfully deliver, watch out. For now GM has an advantage in NVH. How long they can maintain it is anybody's guess.
  • Options
    I will try to connect the dots. You have been arguing that the low price and high content of the Elantra makes it a no brainer vs the Cruze and you get apolectic whenever anyone suggests the Elantra may not be the perfect compact for everyone. I mentioned the Sonata because it offers great value relative to its peers and is stylish and yet was outsold by four other midsize sedans. Get my point now? Value is GREAT and I'm a fan of more standard kit for your money but if customers only cared about low prices BMW and MB wouldnt sell a single car and Hyundai would be the top automaker.

I have not seen any Cruze's for $3k off sticker. There arent much in the way of manufacturer incentives on the Cruze to my knowledge. GM has been pretty stingy with rebates over the last few years on newer models. I wouldnt expect major Focus discounts either. The competitors with the weakest products (current civic and corolla) are under the most pressure to compete on price alone. Chevy and Ford will let their cars sell on merits to bolster resale value and brand perceptions.
  • Options
    The laws of physics and business apply to everyone, including Hyundai. You cannot make a car that is the quietest, cheapest, fastest, best handling, safest in class. Every automaker has to compromise somewhere. The elantra has focused on value and mileage which is great but I dont think it will be setting the bar for the class in handling, steering feel, acceleration, ride quality or quietness. Chevy chose to sacrifice some efficiency to get more quietness and safety featues in the car. That will appeal to some folks while others will prefer the lower price and higher mileage of the Elantra.
  • Options
    I will try to connect the dots. You have been arguing that the low price and high content of the Elantra makes it a no brainer vs the Cruze and you get apolectic whenever anyone suggests the Elantra may not be the perfect compact for everyone.

Not at all (if you can please explain what "apolectic" means). Actually, you are bringing the Elantra into this discussion more than anyone else. Maybe I should just stop replying to your posts re the Elantra, so you don't misinterpret what I am saying.

How many compacts outsold the Cruze last year, on a monthly basis? As was pointed out by someone else, sheer sales numbers don't tell the whole story. If they did, the Corolla would be the best compact car. I really don't think it is--do you?

Price is less of an object in the luxury realm in which BMW and MB compete. What's $2,000 when a car costs $40-50-60-70k or more? But it's a big consideration in the economy car class.

We'll see what happens to Focus prices once the new model hits the streets and has to compete with very good, lower-priced cars like the Forte and Elantra, and with heavily discounted Corollas, Civics, and (in my area at least), Cruzes.
  • Options
    No, but the new Buick Verano with the 2.4DI engine will be more my speed.

This is a car I'm going to be very interested in. Shorter but almost as wide as the Regal, better mpg than the Regal but just as uplevel in trim. Supposed to get the same turbo as the Regal down the road so should be a little quicker and more competitive. It's supposed to be at the Detroit Auto show so I'm assuming it will be at the Chicago show next month. Can't wait to see it but based on past experience, GM will probably have it up on a pedestal which makes it hard to gauge the interior very well.

I like the looks of it and Buick has come around pretty nicely with quality and they also offer the 4 yr btb warranty like a lot of premium brands.
  • Options
    First of all, the Civic will be replaced in about 3 months so there wont be heavily discounted civics around much longer. I would suspect the 2012 Civic will be better equipped and more expensive than its predecessor. The Corolla was also updated for 2011 and that model just launched or will this month so discounts on the Corolla are likely to drop somewhat- even if the car is still far from a class leader.

A low price is very necessary when you have a mediocre or dated product. its not as necessary when the product looks and feels expensive. I think that the case with the Cruze and will be with the Focus. A $2k price gap comes out to another $30-$40 a month, not really a dealbreaker for most people and of course leases muddy the waters quite a bit because a more expensive car will often lease for close to the same price a cheaper car when an automaker is trying to gain marketshare.

I wasnt suggesting that sales prove superiority, I was saying that there are plenty of models that outsold the Sonata in spite of offering less value. No reason to think the same wont happen with Elantra. The major players in the segment are already more expensive than the elantra and yet I dont think its going to leapfrog all of them on the sales charts. I predict that Elantra, focus and Cruze will all have a chance to be #3 selling compact in 2011.

As for Focus and its price, it offers FAR more features than Elantra and thats a factor in its pricing. People who want less can get less and pay less with the Hyundai. Ford is counting on the fact that soome people want more than a sunroof and heated seats in a compact car.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And the big news on the new Buick compact sedan is the base MSRP. I know it's mostly speculation at this point, but many have stated the Verano will start at $21K. That's really under-cutting the competition in the "near-luxury" sedan segment. I currently drive a Lucerne and am interested in down-sizing later this year. For those who haven't seen it, the Net Car Show is updated almost daily with great high resolution images of all makes and models. The Verano looks very sharp. Link to the site: NetCarShow.com

:)
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    While the Cruze has some appeal to me - especially if they go through with making the MT available on all trims, I just don't get the Verona.

I would rather pay less for a loaded Accord (trying to stay away from Hyundai comparisons) that has much more room, still handles pretty well and gets better gas mileage. Verona only gets 1 mpg better on the highway than an Accord V-6. What is up with that? :confuse:
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Well, a loaded Accord V-6 is around $30K. While it may have more room than a Cruze or Verano, it will be noisier and the seats will not be as comfortable. I dunno about the gas mileage. It is also a generation behind in terms of technology.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Agreed.

And the Accord only has a 5-speed automatic. The Cruze has a 6-speed automatic.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited January 2011
    As for Focus and its price, it offers FAR more features than Elantra and thats a factor in its pricing. People who want less can get less and pay less with the Hyundai. Ford is counting on the fact that soome people want more than a sunroof and heated seats in a compact car.

So are you saying the reason the Focus will cost more than cars like the Elantra is because the Focus will offer more features? In other words, similarly-equipped Foci and Elantras will be about the same price? If so, that is not good news for Chevy and the Cruze.

Pricing compacts like the Cruze (and soon the Focus) in the same range as well-equipped mid-sized cars is an interesting and I think risky strategy, given the extra utility of mid-sized sedans and the fact that their fuel economy is not far from that of compact cars (your "$30-40 a month is no dealbreaker" argument could be used there I suppose). It's also risky in that it puts these new high-trim compacts in the same range as slightly-used entry-level luxury cars. It will be interesting to look back in a year and see how many loaded Cruzes are sold vs. more basic LSes and 1LTs.
  • Options
    A loaded Verona will also be near 30k.

A loaded 4 cyl Accord will probably be less expensive than a verona will get 3 mpg better on the highway.

This begs the question. If the technology is so good on the Verona, then why does the 6 spd auto and newer technology get 3 mpg worse on the highway than an Accord with "old" technology and an outdated 5 speed automatic. All in a car that is much smaller.

If this is the direction of technology then count me out.

Don't get me wrong. A stick shift Cruze eco appeals to me because of the high mpg. I love all the tweeks they made for extra mpg - active aero etc. Take the high mpg out of the equation and you don't have anything too special. A nice small solid small car with a small back seat.
  • Options
    Yeah, I liked the idea of the Verona until I saw the MPG numbers. What are they thinking? Every midsize car gets as good or better than that. I would have thought at least a couple of mpgs better.
  • Options
    The GM estimated MPG numbers do seem a bit low for the Verano. It should be relatively easy to hit 34mpg hwy in a Verano though. I regularly beat the "new" EPA MPG Hwy numbers by 10%.

The Accord is a class and half bigger than the Verano. It's almost a full-size car and the Verano is a compact. Aimed at cars like Acura's compact TSX which is rated 21mpg city and 30mpg highway unless you get the 6-sp stick, then it's 28mpg hwy on premium only. ;)
  • Options
    Beating EPA goes for other cars as well. My lifetime average for my Accord is nearly 4 mpg better than the highway rating. (my 2007 was only rated 31 hwy and over 98,000 miles my average is 34.7 mpg). I have dozens of tanks over 40 mpg some pushing 45.

One big bonus of a stick shift is you get way over the EPA numbers.

I know the Accord is a larger class I just used it as an example to show how poor the Verano was, obviously the Civic would be even better still (or Corolla or Camry or Altima or Sonata etc etc.)

Just seems strange to me that the Cruze would be at or near the top of the class with the eco and the Verano would do so poorly.

And the TSX is an abomination. They shortened the gearing to get to 60 a couple of tenths faster than an Accord and killed the mpg.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think we should remember that there are a few things at play here with the Eco, that when all added together, helps the Cruze get those numbers. Don't forget, there is a marketing ploy here. When I went in to see the Cruze, I picked up a brochure. Here in Cda, in the brochure, there is no reference to fuel mileage ratings for the 1.8 OR even the the non Eco turbo!

Here are just a few reasons the Eco is touting those higher numbers.
    - low rolling resistance rubber (don't underestimate the significance of these)
    - the front shutter closure ability in the lower grill (ditto)

and...the std tranny in the Eco is not the same unit that is in the LS. It is an "Eco-specific 'triple' overdrive gearset" tranny.
    I wish they had the specifics of the gear ratio and final drive ratio differences, but it is not listed.

I like your EPA better than out Natural Resources Cda testing. Yours is far more realistic and we know from experience that many drivers (if they try) can easily beat the EPA. Here in Cda it is next to impossible with anything but a diesel to actually get what they say you will get. Here they rate the Eco at 5 litres/100 kms. So your gallon is 3.78 litres. 100 km = 62.1388 miles. So 46.98 miles/US gallon. With our gallon they claim it will go 56.5 MPG hwy. Sure...maybe with a 20 mph constant tailwind everywhere you go.

I do feel though that the low-pressure turbo set up 1.4 and the gearing etc, will be a very fuel efficient package even in the non Eco. Peak torque is very impressive and only at very low revs. Only marginally higher than if it was a diesel.
    Personally, that Eco is a farce. Just offer the darn std tranny right across the board in all trim levels and be done with it.
    And offer the shutters grill as an option in all the other trims. Why would an LTZ owner not want their car as slippery as the Eco? Typical GM manipulating. Has anyone priced low-rolling resistance tires lately? They are not cheap. You can buy a lot of gas ya know for the difference in cost, when all you are saving is a couple mpg.
    Again, marketing...don't get caught up in all the hoopla.
  • Options
    bradley2bradley2 Member Posts: 11
    I have seen so many comparison conversation strings here, most from non-owners...I figured I would provide my review post-purchase of a 2011 Cruze 2LT, A/T, gold mist, leather sand interior. Thus far MPG 28.5 (manual calculation) mostly HWY, mostly 75MPH+ over first 2300 miles. LIKES: Interior roominess, front. Cabin design, fit and finish. Quiet inside. Ride and handling. Options. Much more fun to drive than also-tested Malibu. Front seat comfort and (especially) driver side position variations. OBSERVATIONS: Gets mild attention from other drivers. Dashboard center storage chintzy and small. Exterior styling nice, but nothing to rave about. DISLIKES: Only MPG so far. I realized I would not get close to 36 EPA, but hoped for 30+. I do have to report exterior fit and finish flaws. In almost all seams there are noticeable gaps and differences amongst and between sheet metal joints, meaning front left to front right same section differing gaps. In fact, the driver door has had to be realigned (it was out of plumb) and had a bolt loose inside causing a rattle. Also, hood driver side had to be realigned and hood has multiple clearcoat bumps and one large clearcoat crease/drip. The dealer has bent over backwards to road test and fix all at no cost to me, of course. But, the hassle factor is annoying and such things have not inspired confidence making me wonder what else is off which I cannot see? Overall, though I am very pleased with the car, happy with the purchase, and would recommend the Cruze to those whose needs and lifestyle it fits.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the review, it's always good to read about owner experiences.

On the mpg, have you had the chance yet to measure FE at a lower highway speed than 75 mph? I ask for 2 reasons: 1) most cars I've owned in the last 20 years seem to have a sweet spot for FE around 50-60 mph; above that, the FE drops off significantly. 2) the max speed limit in the Midwest, where I live, is 70 mph, and around the metro area I live in it's 65. Thus I am curious as to the real-world FE at a lower speed, since I will almost never get a car up over 75 mph.
  • Options
    Thank you for the comprehensive review. I see you're still breaking the engine in and would expect you to see 30+mpg even at 80mph on the highway after 5,000 miles or so. Do you drive at higher elevations or in hilly terrain? I would be disappointed in 28mpg unless that was my average (city/hwy) and then it would be fine.

After driving the Cruze, my interest has shifted to the upcoming Verano. I realize it's 8 months out but I'm in no hurry. Glad you like the Cruze, it should be a fine car and the mileage should improve this summer when it's warmer and fully broken-in.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I doubt that the mileage ratings, which aren't that accurate to begin with even though some people try to make or break a car by 1 mph differential in the government values, are going to apply at 80 mph. A lot depends on the air resistance long before that speed.

Another factor is the gasoline blend. Also the ambient temperature is a factor. What part of the country are you in? In other words, what is the outside temp?

Here when we get winter blend gasoline with higher volatility for easier starting the gas mileages drop. Also some states are much freer allowing the percentage of ethanol to be higher. That drops mileage as well.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I wouldnt take the estimated EPA numbers as gospel. They said "at least" 31mpg on the highway. The car is 300lbs lighter than Regal so I expect more than 31mpg highway.
  • Options
    You are oversimplifying things since you take issue with the idea of well equipped compacsts. First of all the Cruze tops out at 42mpg and the Focus will get 40mpg highway. No midsize sedans are doing that without hybrid tech. The average midsize family sedan gets about 32-33mpg on the highway. Secondly, you are exaggerating when you claim that a well equipped Focus/Cruze is about the same price as a well equipped midsize sedan. Most midsize sedans are over $31k loaded while the Cruze tops out at $27k and the focus is at $28k. Keep in mind, the Focus offers tech not found on most midsize sedans such as an 8" nav screen, Myford touch and a self parking feature.

People buy compacts for all sorts of reasons and many city dwellers want them because they are small. The idea that you could get a car with a bigger backseat for just a few thousand more doesn't really matter to folks who WANT a small car. If you dont have kids (or have a small child) the rear seat space isnt really a factor. Slightly used entry lux cars? Yeah, if you can find a low mileage base model from 3-4 years ago. Since these cars are so well equipped they will likely have more gear than any comparably priced used entry level luxury car. The new car vs "nice used car" argument can be made for ANY car. You might as well say the Camry's pricing is too ambitious because you could get a 3 year old Lexus for the same money. Some people just want a NEW car with a warranty and that's what they will get.
  • Options
    Those are NOT official numbers. They are conservative estimates IMHO, in the press conference they said "at least" 31mpg so I think they are setting expectatons low. Besides, the Jetta and Kizashi cant beat that figure anyway.

Accord gets 34mpg through revised gearing that likely makes the car slower. When you tamper with gearing to get better mileage performance and driveability are usually affected in a negative way.
  • Options
    Buick said they were concentrating on quietness and performance on the Verano and that likely has an effect on MPGs. Projected 0-60 is 8 secs which is about a second faster than a base Accord which weighs about the same as the Buick. The Accord isnt a heavy car, but its still rather slow with an auto and thats directly related to having a 5 speed automatic geared for efficiency. Verano may be slightly less efficient, but it will be a faster car. Quieter too.