Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• Options
    4lubes4lubes Member Posts: 7
    Greg,

You said you talked to some Southern IL. dealers who where $500-750 below MSRP. Could you tell me who they were. I'm outside St. Louis on the IL. side and so far can only find straight MSRP. I'd like to get my wife a new Odyssey in the next 2-3 months, hoping by then Alabama plant starts to increase overall supply just a tad. Also, how was working with H & A Access.? I'm thinking of getting an LX and then putting the EX wheels and the in-dash CD changer on from them. Any info would be appreciated.

Chris
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, she wants a sedan, but I think she's in denial about needing more room. I'm trying to at least talk her into a wagon.

Stay away from my Miata! ;-)

Anyone in the DC area get a significant discount off the MSRP? What dealership?

-juice
  • Options
    arbarnhartarbarnhart Member Posts: 23
    If she insists on that, take a look at the Toyota Avalon. With the front bench, it will seat 6 in a pinch. I know a few owners and all are very happy with them. They cost about the same as an Ody in their base model and more than an Ody when they are well equipped. So it may help you make a case for an Ody. If not, it is a fine sedan with lots of room.
  • Options
    clone24clone24 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know of any good dealers in the Kansas City area with minimum wait lists?
  • Options
    gfc4usgfc4us Member Posts: 14
    Believe it or not. Honda is no longer producing high-reliable
    cars. Why?
    1. Honda does not improve its reliability as fast as USAs.
    2. Honda just found out that average reliability can earn extra
    money by selling extended warranty (ask Ody owners).
    CR reliablity rating on 02 Civic is GOOD (no longer EXCELLENT), 02 Ody is AVERAGE.
    Will the new designed 03 Accord keep EXCELLENT? I doubt.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Let me help put the price issue in perspective. In the last 20 years Beth and I have purchased/leased 8 new vehicles. This will be #9. We have certainly done our part for the economy and the auto industry! I am a pretty savvy shopper, and don't pay retail (for cars or anything else I can get away with...). Dealers get mad when you start talking about invoice pricing and even dipping into the holdbacks, but that is where I start my dickering. I told you what I did at the Subaru parts counter with matching internet pricing. And I intend to pull the same with dealer add-ons (casette, mud flaps, etc.) when the time is right here at Honda. Beth gets mad at me when I start bargining in department stores. ;-) I won't even consider a Saturn just on principle. Yet I will probably pay MSRP for this van.

Why? Because as a two time van owner ('97 Dodge GC Sport & '00 Ford Windstar SE), I see that this is a somewhat underpriced competitor to begin with. Case in point: The '00 Windstar, almost identically equipped as the Ody EX (dual power doors, traction control, CD, etc.) was slightly north of $30k. Discounted price was $27.4k, minus a $1k rebate = $26.4k. The Honda is selling for $27.2k two years later. The same Ford is now over $31k MSRP, so the out the door price will still be the same or more than the Honda. The '97 Dodge wasn't much cheaper, and was not nearly as well equipped. We looked at a competitive Chrysler T&C the other day with a MSRP of $32k. With discount, more than the Honda.

Now I don't view the Ody as perfect. It will take some getting use to. We had very good luck with both the Ford and Dodge, but hope the overall experience with Honda will be better. I don't like paying full price either, but maybe this time it is worth it???

Steve
  • Options
    gregariangregarian Member Posts: 4
    Chris,

I mispoke, I should have said in cities south of the me like Honda of Ottawa. I did a search on the Honda Website ( like within 150 miles) and asked if the dealers would match my deal and about 3 had said yes. I honestly don't recall who they were as I tossed my notes after getting a verbal on my Michigan Deal. I think you can find them out there but definitely not in the Big Metro areas as they will not lose any profit to have you walk. Perhaps if you use Service as a motivator to the dealer. I think with the advent of the Alabama plant many dealers will consider putting you on a list for less than MSRP rather than have the profit walk away. Things will have to change and some will be more motivated than others. Be persistent, patient and be willing to walk away ( you'll be forced to most likely).

H and A was great, I ordered off the website and it was completely hassle free. In my current purchase which I plan to pick-up Monday I have decide that if the dealer would like to match the H and A prices I will give them the sale ( I feel they have been very fair and less arrogant than my local dealers),if not H and A is great and I would be happy to send them some of my money in return for accessories.

Good Luck with yours and consider emailing some of your local dealers to see if they would accept an offer. Perhaps if it is a simple transaction you may find one in the Metro area.
  • Options
    ody88ody88 Member Posts: 1
    In year 1996, I bought a loaded Ford Windstar GL with MSRP $25,200 at $22,000. I sold it to a used car whole seller at $4,750 this week.

From Edmunds, the trade in value of '96 Windstar is $4,281 and the private party value is $4,981 while '96 Odyssey is $8,911/$10,091, the difference is about $5,000.

My wife drove 64,000 miles out of the Windstar in 5 years, we fixed/replaced/rebuilt AC, electical window motors, starter, transimssion... If anyone asks me is it worth $5,000 more to buy a '96 Ody over a low mileage '96 Windstar, I'll honestly say yes.

We just bought a 2002 Ody this week at MSRP.
  • Options
    duyenanhusaduyenanhusa Member Posts: 5
    I just put down a deposit for a GG EXL with DVD at MSRP and the expected delivery time is 3/02. Sitting in a sold Odyssey at the dealer lot. I was not able to see the end of hood. I am wondering if the air deflector is installed will it help?

thanks,
  • Options
    zhangqjzhangqj Member Posts: 15
    I seem to remember, back in the old days, that I could put hundreds of messages on the screen and scan them. Now how do I do that? Thanks.
  • Options
    jmccleesjmcclees Member Posts: 2
    Our 2000 LX makes the same rattling noise. Like you, it's mostly noticable on "washboard" roads. I haven't bugged the dealer about it.

-------------------------
    Ody Owners: Has anyone noticed the suspension on the Odyssey is very noisy especially when running over closely spaced ripples in the pavement.

I notice a rattling sound much like that of a loose shock absorber.

This annoying noise seems to be a systemic problem because both my 2000 & now my 2002 make the same noise.

This problem aside, the van has been just super. I do wish Honda would upgrade the sound system in the future, my system sounds feeble...

Thank you in advance for any comments you can pass along on this problem...
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    here on Honda. Towards the end, it is mentioned that a version of the Odyssey V6 engine is used in Honda's largest marine outboard engine!

Bob

http://www.detnews.com/2001/insiders/0112/09/insider-361643.htm
  • Options
    We also get a 2.3L four, which I'm assuming is based on the Accord 2.3L engine.

Bob

http://www.hondabf225.com/
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    wonder what that thing will cost???

A few years ago a coworker was agonizing over buying a new outboard for his boat that he uses to do some lobstering with. I know squat about boats other than the proverbial "hole in the water you throw money into". When he told me he paid $4,000 for a new Yamaha outboard I was flabbergasted. You could buy a lot of lobster for that much coin!!!
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    http://www.vtec.net/news/

Ah, mass production.

INKY

• Options
    My guess—a lot. I was at a Bass pro Shop the other day, where they sell boats and Mercury outboards. The largest Mercury Outboard (250? HP) MSRP was a bit over $14K. That's not a typo...

Bob
  • Options
    Windstar isn't reliable, GM vans aren't either, so Chrysler would be the only domestic I'd consider, and I hate they way they package options.

But I'd be cross shopping the 3.0l MPV, most likely, and deciding if the extra space is worth the extra money (and heft). Those are under $22k, a significant difference to me.

The Mazda actually rates a bit higher than the Honda in reliability per CR, and resale is not important because it will be a long-term keeper. To me it's like a SWB Odyssey - these two are clearly the most appealing to me.

-juice
  • Options
    vikki26vikki26 Member Posts: 11
    As promised, we took delivery of our 2002 SS Ody LX last Thursday. Our deal, MSRP, was pretty good for the Phoenix area. I faxed the 7 area dealers' Internet/fleet managers and got responses from "no cars til Feb- won't even take an order" to "markup subject to availability". The dealer we bought from, Arrowhead Honda, was very easy to deal with and sold at MSRP, no mandatory "packages". Doc fee of $249, which is average around here.
    Everything was done by fax and phone (we are 50+ miles away) and when we showed up the van was prepped and sparkling! The Internet manager, Randy, showed us everything and we were in and out of finance in 10 minutes. (a BIG relief)
    Total time at the dealer: 1 1/2 hours, including test drive. We were and are very pleased with experience and the van.
    I know there are Phoenix-area buyers on this bulletin board, so I would say to let Randy Westmoreland at Arrowhead give you a bid. He's at 623-974-9700.
    After 200+ miles driven this weekend, I am loving this van and anticipating many happy years together.
    Thanks again for all the help from this board,
    Vikki
  • Options
    Correction: the MPVs run from $22.3k to $25.4k street price (LX to loaded ES), but that includes a moonroof that Honda doesn't offer.

Odys list for quite a bit more, hence my dilemna.

-juice
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Juice,

If the MPV meets your needs, then by all means get it over the Odyssey. I'm sure there are a lot of Ody owners out there who bought them just because it's the biggest minivan out there, but there are also some of us who actually need the extra space. As for the reliability, initial reports gives favor to the MPV, but down the line who knows? I can argue that although the Duratech is a pretty good engine, however it was never burdened with so much weight before, plus all the reving needed to get it up to speed can not be good in the long run. (Also, the Tribute/Escape hasn't been in production that long to make a good reliability assessment from them either.) But like I said, if it fits your needs go with the MPV and save your money for other things.
  • Options
    cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    Keep in mind a few things-

1) The ratings are based on survey responses by subscribers. This is not a random cross section of the population, and can be biased by the editorial content.

2) Their "Average" problem rate is 0.2 problems per vehicle in the last 12 months.

3) At that rate, a vehicle well above this average will take many years to have EVEN ONE more serious problem than one rated well below average. 40% more or less than nothing, is still, basically, nothing.

4) Problems are defined as "serious" by the subscriber.

5) Based on the most up-to-date information on their website, Odyssey has improved since the April 2001 edition (same as the 2002 Buying Guide). In fact, the 1999 Odyssey is no longer below average.

Cheers.

4)
  • Options
    minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    Chilly last night in Boston (20 F) but far from coldest we will see. This AM power sliders ('01 EX) stuck tight, would not budge with power or manual attempts. Stayed stuck for over 30 minutes of driving with heat on full blast.
    There was no visible ice on the outside of the doors (otherwise I would not have tried to open them). This was a giant pain in the A since I had to drive 4 kids to school this AM - each had to climb in through the front, then despite 3 pick-ups plus additional drive to school, door still frozen shut and they all had to climb out through the front door much like a clown car.

Anyone else encounter this problem? Any fixes or good prevention ideas (besides using the garage which I cannot but that's a whole 'nother story). The van was built in Canada of all places, perhaps someone at Honda should have thought of this.

Thanks in advance to any good ideas short of blowtorching it, or anyone who wants to commiserate.
  • Options
    billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    What, I wonder was your experance with Showcase Honda, which is as I remember, the largest Honda dealership in Phoenix. I had heard that they had good prices on Odysseys at one time.

In the year 2000 I was quoted a price from their fleet sales of MSRP, but they gave you a lot of extra options for free, they said.
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Miniman, I live in southern California, so cold for us would be anything below 50°F ;). Anyhow, have you tried putting silicone lube/grease on the seals? That might help. You could always pour lukewarm water over the gaps, but that's a hassle of course. Even without power sliders the doors would probably be hard to open. Yeah, very ironic that the Ody's are being built in Canada isn't it?
  • Options
    rattles33rattles33 Member Posts: 18
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
  • Options
    Have had our 2000 lx for 1.5yrs and 25k, so I thought I'd give my impressions of the van.
    1)It has the slight vibration at 65 mph, but I've grown so accustomed to it, I don't really notice it. Tires still have about 25k left on them, so a new set of michelins should eventually fix it.
    2)It had the sticky manual door problem, most noticable after some sort of rain or snow event. I've found a $3 can of silicon lube to fix that problem. a couple of squirts on the upper seal and problem is gone for months.
    3) Clock light phases in and out. will have that looked at at the 30k check.
    4) Tan interior isn't great in hiding dirt
    5) wipers sucked from day 1. Finally replaced them with new Rain x wipers and what a difference.

Well, those are the complaints, now the boasts.
    1)Absolutely swallows anything that you can imagine.
    2)Great for long trips, very comfy and suportive
    3)Great engine (tranny is easily confused, but you get used to unual shift points)
    4)Every single person to ever ride in the van is impressed with how big it is on the inside and how well it rides
    5)I think for the value, dispite having paid sticker, it is a tough deal to beat. I guess some people would feel better if it stickered for 30k but were discounted to 25k. Whatever.
    6)I feel very safe driving my family in the van
    7)Resale after 10 yrs will be at least 2 times other vans.
    Well, those are the highlights and lowlights. would I recommend the van? Yes. Would I like to see improvement made? Yes. Do I care what anybody else thinks? No, not at all.
  • Options
    kuhl3kuhl3 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I have a question regarding the center table. The manual says not to put anything "heavy" on it. The dealer/service dept doesn't know what weight is considered heavy enough to break it. Does anybody know the maximum weight it could probably hold without breaking. We're thinking about strapping a small tv on it, but don't want it to crack or collapse. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    We routinely put a 9in tv/vcr combo on the center table with no problem.
    One armrest does need to be up, and then the unit wedges nicely between them so as not to endanger 2nd row occupants.
  • Options
    I've looked and was a bit surprised that the MPV is reliable and the Tribute really isn't at all (per CR). The Duratec is OK, it's the unreliable CD4E transmission that I'm worried about (not sure if that'll even go in the MPV). Either way we'd get a tranny cooler, which is available.

It would be our first van, so perhaps rookies aren't looking for space as a priority? ;-) The wife does prefer small vehicles that are easier to manuever and park (me too, actually), but maybe space is more important than we think.

Honda really needs a longer warranty. I think 3/36 powertrain is the industry's worst, now that VW has a better one (used to be 2/24). An extended warranty puts the price even higher than it is now.

Though Mazda's isn't much better at 3/50. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with either, to be honest. Toyota offers 5/60 and Chyrsler gives you 7/100.

I just love that folding seat!

-juice
  • Options
    stangeljstangelj Member Posts: 74
    We've had our EX for 3 years and never experienced frozen slider doors. The climate in Calgary is much colder than Boston. However, doors will freeze shut on any vehicle here when very cold if you wash the car, don't dry off the door molding, and then leave it out in the cold. The only thing I can think of assuming you didn't do that, is Calgary is very dry and Boston much more humid. It may have been condensation forming and then freezing--although, it should have affected all your doors, not just the sliding ones.
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    ...on the addition. How did you find the time? Where you trying to show your wife you love her just as much as you do cars? LOL

Thanks for all the help with Soobs. If I go to the Miata boards are you just as active there?

With your OCD about waxing I'd suggest you get the smaller van so you can have some time left for your wife.
  • Options
    jmnygaardjmnygaard Member Posts: 48
    I have to admit, if the MPV had had the bigger engine when I needed to buy my van, I probably would have bought it instead. I am still driving my 14 yr. old 626 to work. It was my second Mazda and I really did want another. I needed space, but I felt the Ody was just TOO big.

Now that I have it, though, I have to say I love my Ody. It is not as big as I thought. It really amazes me to see how well it fits into parking lot parking spaces.

As for the CR reliability numbers, you really have to take them with a grain of salt. They are based on subjective reports of owners of earlier models. The Ody is new for 2002, as is the engine of the MPV. The true reliability for these vehicles will not show up for a couple years, if then.

If your wife is going to be driving the van, let her decide which one she likes and buy it. Unless there is a major defect in one of these vehicles, the beauty (or reliability or value or love) of these vehicles is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Options
    wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    The center table is a lot stronger than you think, it can actually hold my 70 lb - Labrador/Rottweiller mix without collapsing. The first time it happened I thought I was going to need a new table, but to my surprise, no damage.
    We're trying not to make this a habit, but he's still a "stupid" pup so invariably the dog manages to hop on it at least once every time he's in the van. Looking into doggie seatbelts before he gets any heavier.
  • Options
    vikki26vikki26 Member Posts: 11
    Bill G:
    I did check out Showcase Honda, even tho I had heard some not-great rumors about them selling the same car to multiple buyers.
    About a week after I placed my order with Arrowhead (with less than a month to wait), the Showcase guy faxed me a sheet saying he had one like I wanted that would be in by the end of the week. His initial price had been about $400 more than Arrowhead (including the "package" I had to buy), so I called to negotiate.
    After a day of whittling, I got it down to about the same level, package included. I told him to fax the final price sheet in writing and that I'd give him a deposit. He faxed, and I called a half-hour later to give him the VISA number. In that short time, he told me that his "list" that still had that van as unsold hadn't been updated and that someone else had sold it that morning.
    I guess either the deal didn't fly with his boss, or someone else had agreed to pay more. Regardless, dealing with him didn't give me warm fuzzies, even before the deal fell apart.
    So I got the van about two weeks later, paid the same, and dealt with someone I liked.
    I have heard other similar stories from both dealers and consumers. You might luck into a great deal because they are high-volume, but I wouldn't cancel any other orders until I had the van in my driveway. :)
    Hope this helps....
    Vikki
  • Options
    jd37jd37 Member Posts: 4
    I wanted to buy the Sienna because I liked its' smooth ride (I was trading in a '99 Camry). My friend convinced me that the '02 ODY would be as smooth or smoother than the Sienna. I also liked Honda's simple LX, EX and EXL bundles - it takes a rocket scientist to figure out the right combination of model and options on the Sienna.

Anyway, I got my '02 ODY EX in October (27190 + tax+ $40 doc fee + cassette player free). I love the van except for one major problem. At low speeds and even SLIGHTLY uneven roads, the back doors sqeak like it is a 10 year old car and it's driving me nuts. I took it to the dealer and he said the doors needs tightening. It hasn't helped. Has anyone out there has similar problems? Or is it common with all minivans?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    wdroswdros Member Posts: 6
    Having to replace break pads and turn the rotors on my 2001 LX at 16,000 miles does not make me happy. Cost: $250. Service associate at Honda Carland in Atlanta: very rude. Last car I owned: 60,000 miles before new break pads (it was a Passat).
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    I have a 99EX and replaced the front brake pads at 60,000 miles. Total cost was about $50.00 for the cost of the pads, since I did it myself. I replaced them again at 120,000 miles; and they still had plently of wear left on them. The rotors had no wear, so they have yet to be turned. I also checked the rear brake shoes at 120,000 miles; and they still had over half of their wear life remaining.

How you use the brakes has a lot to do with how fast they wear, but 16,000 miles seems like a very short life. I'd have a talk with the district Honda respresentative about it, if I were in your shoes.
  • Options
    clone24clone24 Member Posts: 6
    I just talked to a dealer in KC and they wanted $1,000 non-refundable - everyone else I have talked to was $500 refundable...kind of a deal breaker for me. It would be different if I was going to pick it up next week but this is 6 weeks out....
  • Options
    dinh_henrydinh_henry Member Posts: 19
    Has any one in this forum heard of, or purchased extended warranty from Warranty Gold. My Credit Union is offering 15% discount from list price. I would like to know if Warranty Gold is as competitive as Honda Care. Thanks for your advise.
  • Options
    The Miata threads here at Edmunds.com are quiet, but I do read them. Miata.net is the opposite - too hard to keep up with.

The wife absolutely has the final say, but I'm the car guy so I make recommendations for her to check out. I'm going to try to drag her to the DC Auto Show, so we can sample every model with no sales pressure at all. Interiors, anyway.

Meanwhile, we are patient, and new models are on the way (Mazda 6, new Sienna, 3.0l MPV) to make things even more confusing.

-juice
  • Options
    graylsgrayls Member Posts: 7
    I received my '02 GG EX in October as well and have had it in to the dealership for a similar problem. They say the sliding doors are rubbing against the rubber weather stripping around the doors. Their fix was to tighten the doors and lubricate the the stripping with a "clean" grease to reduce the friction between the doors and the body when the van shakes. Seems to have helped, but didn't eliminate the noise completely.

I talked to others who have mini-vans (some odys, some not) and this seems to be a common source for sqeaks and rattles.

-rk
  • Options
    Make sure they use lithium grease and not any oil based products.

-juice
  • Options
    cnybrocnybro Member Posts: 29
    I replaced mine front pads at 19K on my 2000 LX. Mostly in town driving. $250 sounds like a MAJOR ripoff. There's a brake TSB out that covers the labor to resurface the rotors, so I just had to buy the pads plus labor. About $80 total. This was at First Texas Honda in Austin, TX.
  • Options
    billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    I don't know specifically about that warranty but when I checked into extended warranties I found the Honda Motor Company warranty to be the best.

1. It had the most things covered.
    2. The dealer excepts it without question. On another company the dealer has to call the company and get an OK. The company may then say no because they consider you at fault for not doing the required maintenance etc. So you have less hassels with the Honda warranty. Also do you get a free loaner car to drive while yours is being fixed. Also get road service, like AAA gives.

Unless you know a lot abot warranties, you may find out the other warranty is not as good as the Honda warranty, too late.

You can get a Honda 7yr/100k mile/0 ded for under $1,000.
  • Options
    arloexlarloexl Member Posts: 10
    I'm looking to buy some Snow Cables/treads/... for my 2002 Ody EX. The manual says to use snow traction cables or something like that... but no snow chains. What have you purchased for your Odys? Mfg, model, price, experiences, where purchased would be appreciated.
  • Options
    arbarnhartarbarnhart Member Posts: 23
    I went through the same decision process with a different vendor - warrantybynet.com (Edmunds links you over there, which I considered a reasonable recommendation). This was on a used old style Ody; the warrantybynet price for 3 years or 40K miles was less than the HondaCare 2/24 (Honda wouldn't go longer than that). I bought HondaCare anyway. Why? I want Honda to do any service that comes up in the not too distant future. I am sure they take HondaCare. HondaCare lists the few items they don't cover; everything else is covered. Other warranties usually have a long list of covered items with disclaimers about conditions under which they are not. I felt less than confident about being sure everything was on the list.
  • Options
    wdroswdros Member Posts: 6
    I talked to a freind of mine today. He had his brake pads replaced at another dealership in Atlanta for $205. His 2001 EX van had 17,000 miles. It sounds like Atlanta has a bad batch of Odys. I read on another board complaints about break pads going out at 15-17000 miles and rotors warping on 2000-2001 odys.
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    My 99 EX is in Atlanta and is getting 60,000-65,000 miles per set of brake pads; and the rotors are still A-OK at 120,000 miles.
  • Options
    shanersshaners Member Posts: 14
    I just bought a 2002 EXL-RES and I saw no-where in the manual or on the window sticker that the exhaust was stainless. Hmm... does anyone know for sure?

I love this van compared to my '00 Olds Premier. There isn't as many gizmos but that is OK with me.

The 5-speed auto and upgraded 3.5L are a perfect match!!!

My only complaint is torque steer. The van has been re-aligned and it pulls to the right 90% of the time. It gets worse if you're on the throttle. The dealer is aware of my concern because it was noted in my test-drive. I'll call him next week.