Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram Owners

Comments

• Options
    606zp606zp Member Posts: 57
    Gene7722,
    I'd rather wait the weeks and get exactly what I want than settle for something on the lot that wasn't exactly what I wanted when spending that much money. You only go around once. I read your post on "accessories". I was visiting a machine shop today on offical work business, then made an unofficial stop at a near by garage that does spray in Rhino liners. Heard alot about them but that's the first I've seen it. He quoted me $475 which is 1/4 inch thick and comes up over the rails. He said to spray it before installing 5th wheel. Adds 80 pounds. They also put a metal tail gate protector on to protect the edge of the lining in that area.
    I'm 75% sure I'll have it done.
  • Options
    wpfdwpfd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 2500, V-10 automatic and just love it! 20,000 miles, no problems. Consistant 9-11 MPG pulling and 11-13 freeway. I am considering upgrading to the 1998 quad if the trade in is right. I have been debating on getting the 5-speed, even though my automatic has been trouble free and very smooth shifting under very heavy loads. I live in WI. make many short trips, making the V-10 a neccessity for me. At least 1/3 of my miles consist of pulling heavy wagons down the road. Quite often I find myself pulling two 6 ton wagons hooked together behind the powerful V-10. Power is not a problem, but I am a little concerned about engine breaking, transmission wear and tear going up down the rolling hills and also about the added wear on the brakes due to not having as much control over engine breaking as you do with an automatic. 24,000 Lbs is a lot of weight, even at 30 mph! If I do buy a new one I plan on keeping it a long time. I will only put on 14,000 miles a year and plan on getting a 7 yr/100,000 warranty. But thats 7 years of hard, hard pulling!

Any thoughts or advice in helping me choose between automatic and Manual transmission?
  • Options
    gregsintxgregsintx Member Posts: 7
    I just got this month's Consumer Reports in the mail and it's a big 1998 automobile issue. They don't have much good to say about the Ram, and have especially negative comments about the 1500 4x4. On the positive side, it scores very high on the depreciation scale, with an estimate of being worth 80% it's "new" price after three years. This is better than most every other vehicle available. Only the new Ford F150 is on their Recommended list for full size pickups. I'm still glad I ordered my new Ram though. I really don't care for that smoothed look on the new Fords.
  • Options
    pete38pete38 Member Posts: 52
    I had a Rhino liner on my old truck and swore it would be the first Add-on for the new Quad cab. Saw an add in triler life for Line-X spray on liners. Went to take a look and now will bet that instead. The texture is much more uniform, I like its look better. Cost 495 over the rails here in Colorado for Full size bed. They are on the Web but you can't see the texture very good. If there is a dealer in your area it might be worth while to check it out.
  • Options
    rssrss Member Posts: 1
    Today I put the brakes on a 2500 Ram purchase.

I went in to pick up a '98 2500 Ram 2wd SLT w/tow pkg this morning. I asked to take the truck on a 30min. test drive. After 10 min. I came back to the dealer informing him that the truck pulls to the right when the brakes are applied.

The dealer phoned the factory and they suggested that he remove the calipers, lightly file mounting surfaces, sand the pads, switch the pads left to right, and apply the proper lubricant. I went around the block with the mechanic and things looked good.

I had them fill the tank and I took it out for my 30 min. test run. Sure enough it started to pull again. Needless to say, I went home with my check in-hand.

Any words of wisdom? I really like the vehicle but now I'm concerned about the quality of this product.
  • Options
    wpfdwpfd Member Posts: 2
    Edit:

To clear up a mistake in my earlier post:

I stated:

but I am a little concerned about engine breaking, transmission wear and tear going up down the rolling hills and also about the added wear on the brakes due to not having as much control over engine breaking as you do with a automatic.

I ment: as you do with a manual. Sorry!

By the way, I have used my brakes hard with my 4X4 V-10 longed. I have at least 7000 miles pulling and braking 5 to 12 ton wagons behind me. I have not experienced any braking problems to date in the first 20,000 miles(knock on wood!).The V-10 is much smoother, quieter than I ever imagined. I could not help but notice a Ram Diesel take off next to me in the parking lot today. It was extremely noisy. When you are pulling or just driving down the road with the V-10 there is very little noise in the cab. For those who are considering a V-10, it's definitly worth a test drive!
  • Options
    gene7722gene7722 Member Posts: 9
    606zp "Rino Liners" Thanx for the info. Do you know how they deal w/ the tie downs in the floor?

pete38 : "Line-x" thanx to you also. You mentioned that they have a web site, do you have the address handy?

rss : "Alignment prob. 2500" I seem to recall reading (here?) about an alignment problem on some rams. the suggestion given was to take it to a prvt alignment shop, seems the factory was having a hard time getting the alignment right. Note, I'm sure you're going to get several responses, perhaps "mharde2" can help.
  • Options
    marvbmarvb Member Posts: 9

I just bought a RAM 3500 Quad-cab, 4WD Diesel. I closed the deal Feb 7, and the order was entered into the computer on Monday, Feb 9. I was told that it would take 4-8 weeks. Then started the long, anxious wait - I'm worse than a kid waiting for Christmas! I received word March 11 that my truck was in production status. I don't know what the status code was.

This past week I called the dealer (yet again!) and learned that the factory will be shipping my truck next Monday, Mar 30. That is 7 weeks to the day that the order was submitted. I was told that it could take two weeks for delivery - by train to Amarillo, Texas, and by truck from there to the dealer here in New Mexico. They expect it to be closer to 10 days. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic!

Like many others on this board, I was well equipped with pricing information before I began talking to the various dealerships. I had a print-out of invoice vs MSRP for the RAM 3500 and all available options. As a result, I was able to get the truck equipped the way I wanted it for $500 over invoice - not as good as some of you, but not bad for a truck that is in such demand.

I opted for the 5-speed manual tranny, all-terrain Michelin tires (all seven of them!), 3.54 Anti-Spin differential, trailer-tow group, auxiliary rear suspension group, 8-way power seat on the driver's side (nice for long trips), rear underseat storage compartment (for all those gadgets), and the 2GG Laramie SLT interior group in Camel color. Oh yes, and I got it all wrapped up in a Flame Red exterior color! Yeah, I know - the cops will see me coming a mile away - but what the heck, I wanted a Big Red!

Sounds like your truck went in about the same time as mine did. Hope you get it soon. Let us know how things are progressing. I will post a note when I get mine - just as soon, that is, as I HAVE to return home from some serious driving that I am planning for April!

Marvin
  • Options
    barbellbarbell Member Posts: 15
    I have been looking for a 3/4 ton longbed 4x4 quad that is not a V10 or a diesel. Obviously that means a 360, but it seems they don't exist. I have owned a number of 318 and 360 engines in cars, vans and trucks the last 30 years, but not recently. Never had a problem with power or durability with any of them. Is there a reason I should go with a diesel or V10 in this truck? I will tow small to medium travel and cargo trailers in Colo mountains as worst case. Current truck is V6 Toy which doesn't do bad, but is too light to brake heavy loads. Suggestions appreciated.
  • Options
    ccicci Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to Pete38 and mharde2, i went ahead and ordered the 1500 4x4 quad, LOADED with 3.55, 5.9L, ABS, rear slip diff (it was the same as Rear slip) Loaded, i think i got every option... including leather. oh well you only live once. $400 over invoice and 15% off of any accesories i decide to get. Only disappointment was that Dodge doesnt think camel leather goes with the intense Blue exterior, you can only get grey. If it runs as good as my 93 dakota LE 4x4 club after 87k ill be happy.
  • Options
    rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    If any one is looking for a deal at 58 dollars over invioce, on dodge or gm, it can be found at www.davesmith.com. They are a dealer in Kellogg Idaho and I see their plate borders all the time here in seattle. I have heard that they are legit. Hope it helps somebody out. They did tell me that I shouldnt order the electric shift on the fly option, supposedly the transfer case is having some problems. Anyone heard anything about that? I called them for a quote and it was confusing but we worked through it and I think the price was about 58 bucks over invoice. I like the fact that Dodge lets you order the overhead travel conv pkg on all models, You have to get the lariat from ford to get the overhead.
  • Options
    timmytimmy Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up my new Ram 1500 on Saturday. 318, 4WD, Club Cab, Automatic with the Sport Package in Black. Can't believe how smooth and quiet the ride is and you gotta love all that room in the cab. In fact, the only thing that got my butt out of bed to go to work this morning was knowing that I'd get to drive it. I also had the dealer install a Fabick spray in bedliner. $375 under the rail which is the same as Fabick quoted me. The surface looks great and you don't lose any tie-down hooks and plugs.

Thanks to all the info provided by Edmunds I was able to write to all the local Dodge dealers, tell them what I wanted, tell them I knew what it cost them and ask for bids. The lowest bid I got was about $150 over invoice and I got him down to $71 over invoice. Of course he didn't want to give me any more than his little black book listed for my truck (94 Toyota ExtraCab) but I was able to sell it privately for about $2500 more than he'd give me.

Thanks Edmunds for all the great info and thanks for all the great posts you guys have added to this site. You definitely feel much better about dropping $20,000 plus when you've done your homework.
  • Options
    Its awful quiet here this week. All the "DODGE RAM OWNERS" must be out driving their new rigs.

Marvb, You ordered your's 2 weeks after me, but will probably get your's before I get mine. Not fair!
  • Options
    I agree, 606. However, I don't think I will tell them to put a hold on the shipment! I live in Southern New Mexico, 90 miles from El Paso, Texas. Maybe this region gets faster deliveries. I don't know why, if that is true. Everything else gets from point A to point B by pony-express! I'm hoping that my RAM will arrive sometime next week. Here's wishing you a speedy delivery on yours!

Hope there's no Teamster's strikes, train wrecks, truck hi-jackings ...

Will let you know when I get it.
  • Options
    Marvb,
    So what are you going to be hauling with that monster when you get it?
  • Options

I'm not hauling anything now but horses and hay, but if I ever recover from the sticker shock of the new RAM, I will be looking for good sized fifth-wheel trailer that I can haul around the country. I wanted to make sure that the truck I bought would handle anything I tied on behind it. If the 3500 can't haul it, I guess I'll have to move up to a Mack!
  • Options
    buck_bbuck_b Member Posts: 8
    Hey, guys, you are now looking at yet another former Ford man who made the switch!! I just brought my beautiful new 1500 (black clearcoat / driftwood) Quad Cab Lariat SLT home last night! My friends are already green with envy.

Since I only need a light-duty no-towing truck, my choice had to be lots easier than some of the posts I've been reading here. Having looked at both the Ford and the Dodge I had to admit the Ram had the edge with the Quad Cab -- and overall looks! The truck handles beautifully and the V8 is a real pleasure after my in-line 6. Edmund's really helped me do my homework and I'm recommending the forum to everyone I know.

Here's the latest scam in SoCal: the dealer I worked with had the regular sticker on the window (about 24K) and a handwritten one next to it labeled "additional markup" (3K)!!! Apparently the trucks are in such demand that they had no qualms asking customers to bend over and take it. Then when the sales manager disappeared and he handed me over to the Finance lady, she had the nerve to say that she didn't know anything about the MSRP, all she knew about was the "total price" of the truck -- so I had to go through the whole stupid negotiation with her again, even though I know d----d well she knew what she was doing. The whole ordeal lasted seven hours. I should be disgusted, but I love the truck so much I really only feel excited.

maybe I can't argue about the markup cause they sold 2 other trucks while I was there, but I sure as h--l didn't pay it and I'm convinced having my Edmunds info in hand helped back me up. I heard about this practice a couple of years ago when the Cherokees were really hot -- anyone else experiencing this in other parts of the country?

Anyway, I didn't get as good a deal as I'm reading about here, but that had to do with some bad credit from a business deal that went south on me a couple years back, not becuase of the info on this site. Edmund's provided a wealth of information and I didn't get nearly the s--t I've had to put up with with other dealers in the past becuase of it.

I'm looking forward to driving out to the desert next weekend and putting my 1500 through the paces. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this thread!! I know I'll check back here frequently to keep learning new stuff and add my two cent's. -- buck
  • Options
    BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    buck,

It's a pretty common practice. The goal is to make people think that the area for negotiation is between the MSRP and the markup when the real area for negotiation is between the dealer invoice and the MSRP. If the consumer negotiates their way down from the marked up price to the MSRP, they feel they got a good deal. When I bought my current truck in 1992, the MSRP was $21,450. The dealer markup made it $23,500. I paid $18,700.

Congrats on your new truck. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new truck, Buck! Ron, myself and several other are still waiting for ours to come in. Let us know how your new baby performs. We will return the favor (soon, we hope!).

Hey, Ron, heard anything new concerning your truck?
  • Options
    Well Buck, I'm glad you got your truck, my last update on 4/1/98 is mine was in paint. Next is trim, then ship. Can hardley wait, ordered it on Feb 16th. It is a Quad cab, Diesel, gray leather interior. Got it for 300 over invoice no hassles, deal took about 30 minutes. First dealer I've found around Denver that didn't put the screws to you. Some dealers around here are putting boards in their showrooms with their prices on vechicles. They are generally under MSRP but still over invoice by quite a bit. Then we still have the shops like you describe. For me, I just found if I walk in the dealership with the attitude that if they don't meet my price I'll walk, I've never had too much of a hassle. I've walked a few times but the next dealer I went to met my price!
  • Options
    Has anybody here heard anything about the 98 RAM 5-speed orders being placed on hold? The note that I saw indicated that Dodge is now putting 6-speed transmissions in all of their 24V diesels. I saw this on the www.happycampers.net page last night and have not had a chance to confirm this with my Dodge dealer. One man said that his dealer told him that there was a planned restriction on orders to allow the switch from 5-speed to 6-speed transmissions, but was not clear if this change would affect current 98 orders.

I will talk to the Dodge boys today to learn what they have to say. If any of you have more info on this, please let us know.

Several people are currently waiting for their new trucks and this action by Dodge, if true, would delay the orders. I, for one, would not mind waiting a little longer if it meant getting a 6-speed transmission!
  • Options
    buck__bbuck__b Member Posts: 8
    Hey, guys, I'm looking at my gorgeous new 1500 and wondering if anyone here had swapped in larger tires yet, and if so, how big you can go without a body lift and/or new wheels (too $$ for me). I'd like to get some larger meats on there to fill up those big wheel wells but don't want excessive scraping during sharp turns. Any ideas? Thanks! Buck
  • Options
    by the way, thanks to everyone for the feedback on the "additional markup" ripoff. The "you should be so lucky, you've really bargained us down from the inflated price" game is exactly what they were playing! Thanks to you guys and Edmunds I wasn't budging. And yes, walking off the lot is exactly what I had to do to get them to go the final distance. Wish there were a better way!

And congrats, Pete38 on your 30-minute deal ... AND your new Quad -- sounds like it'll be one h--l of a truck! see ya
  • Options
    klmklm Member Posts: 4
    Speaking of tires, any complaints on tire wear, how often (miles) are you guys rotating on your 4X4's
  • Options
    armadilloarmadillo Member Posts: 14
    Buck,
    According to the brochure available at dealerships, the largets tire available off the lot for the 1500 is the P265/75r16. This is a out a 30.5" tire.
    I have a buddy with a 1500 who has LT285/75R16's pn his truck. I believe it's bout a 33" tire, and he says he gets some slight rubbing.
    At an off-road show I once attended I had an opportunity to speak with a REP from RANCHO SUSPENSIONS about the lift kits they make for various trucks. He told me you can mount a 32" tire on the RAM without having to install a suspension lift.
    Some things you might want to think about:
    (1) What is your rear end gear ratio? In the 1500, I believe the lowest ratio available is a 3.92, as opposed to a 3/4 ton (2500)which is 4.09.
    (2) Depending upon how radically you change your tire diameter, you may want to consider having your speedometer/odometer re-calibrated.
    If you want to go tall without going to extreme width, you might cinsider trying LT235/85R16E's. They are a 31.7" diameter, without going to an outrageously wide width.

Hope this is helpful.(smile)
  • Options
    hey guys, all really good advice on the tires. Very valid points about the warranty, gas mileage, gear ratios, speedometer, etc., specially if you go for a much larger tire! Since I also think outsized tires without serious attention to vehicle performance and other alterations looks just plain stoopid, I will be going for a more subtle increase on my next set. but I plan on printing out your advice and throwing it in the file! Also, I feel if you go for a bit more aggressive all-terrain tread, the tire just looks beefier without sacrificing too much in the way of increased road noise (no mud boggers here!) will save my $$ for after-market toys and a really good hand-painted Western pinstriping job! thanks --
  • Options
    panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    Hello. I am just getting ready to graduate from college and as my treat to myself I am going to buy myself a new Dodge 1500 SLT Quad cab 4x4. I am going to upgrade the tires to the 265/75R16 with the cast aluminum wheels. I am probably going to get black with the dealer installed tubular aluminum side steps and grill guard. I would like to get the polished aluminum truck box but I'm a little concerned with how it might look with the brushed aluminum accessories. Has anyone seen one like or this or think it might not look right? I think since the bumpers and grill have that chrome(ish) look, it might look pretty good but I'm not sure. Thanks. After reading everybody talking about their new trucks, I can't wait until I get mine.
  • Options
    rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    Panman Have you owned a black truck before? if not let me give these words of advice : dont. Get white, get driftwood, get any color but black. Every scratch, small nicks, rock chips and even wax shows up badly with my black truck. I will never ever buy a black vehicle again. I am selling mine, and I hope the detail shop can buff some of the bad spots out, but I doubt it. Good luck, and congrat's on graduating.
  • Options
    fredwoodfredwood Member Posts: 79
    Listen to rite3, Black trucks suck! The thing that I hated most about my black truck was that it was HOT all the time. Even my red truck is hot but not as bad as black. My next truck will be white, amen.
  • Options
    panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    rite3 and fredwood, thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know what the cost is to special order a paint color or a custom paint job?
  • Options
    Are you asking for a different color than they normally produce? My guess is that you would have to have it repainted after you get the truck. If you are asking how much it would cost to say you wanted a pickup painted "blue" there is no charge for Ram Trucks. My preference is White, easy to keep clean, accessories "match", stays cool. Go to a car lot on a warm day and touch the paint of a dark car, then touch a white. No wonder the white paint lasts the best, not to mention the interior!
  • Options
    scagscag Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Dodge will be coming out with any incentives for the 1998 Dodge Ram Quad...and any word on how these quad's are.
  • Options
    good question Panman, and good follow-up guys, lots of valid points! But having just bought a black clearcoat quad cab (on purpose!), thought I could share afew pointers, too. Just like everything else in Life, "it depends"!

first you gotta ask yourself what you're gonna be using the truck for, how much abuse it'll take, what the weather where you live is like, and how much time you wanna put into maintenance!

first let me start by sayin g in my experience, any metallic paint job is more forgiving than any solid clearcoat (thats cause the metallic distracts you from every little bitty scratch or rub). And also, any light color is more forgiving and less heat-absorbing than any dark color. personally, if you want the lowest maintenace, I'd go silver metallic (Driftwood). You can wash a silver truck every week or hardly not at all and it looks damned near the same. i've owned white and silver beats it hands down for not showing road film.

Now, what about Use -- i'm guessing since you went to college and are treating yourself after graduation (instead of eating beans for six years) that you have some money and you won't be working heavy construction on a road crew. :-) so maybe your truck won't take a lot of job-related wear? if not, and the roads you drive are fairly civilized, maybe this isnt a factor. buy a bug deflector to keep away the little pits.

as for voluntary Abuse - what do you do for fun? if you off-road, hunt, or camp a lot your gonna find that brush will scratch the h--l out of your beautiful paint. follow the guidelines above & go metallic. if you use your truck to haul Jet skis or drive to a mountain lodge, you can keep a truck lookin good with not too much effort.

Heat - the big one. dont know where you live but i sure wouldnt get a black truck in Phoenix! here in SoCal the weather is never that hot and the dark color trucks i've had (midnite blue) worked fine. but heat is also related a LOT to WHEN you're in your truck! if you leave the house at 6:00 AM and stay at a jobsite all day and drive home once in the evening, heat isn't a big problem. if you're a manufacturer's rep and your calling on twelve dealers a day, your gonna be hopping in and out all day long and the truck's AC will never have a chance to run long enough to make a difference. don't buy black if you do lots of short hauls in broad daylite!

finally, Looks / maintenance - like i said, metallics are more forgiving than any clearcoat, no matter what color. Clearcoats look good if you take good care of them and pay them attention (like expensive women?). some guys get off on waxing their babies in the shade with special power buffers. some guys make enuf to pay an auto detailer. some guys (like me) are just nuts enough about the looks of a good black paint job to want the high maintenance pain in the b--t that goes with it!

long post, i know!! my point? don't dismiss black without weighing the reasons you wanted black in the first place! If you buy black, you'll get out of it what you put in... just like everything else! Me, I plan on enjoying MY black truck for the next ten years. Good driving, guys!! See ya -- Buck
  • Options
    Hey, Scag, just picked up my 1500 QCab five days ago and already i can't believe i ever lived with out it! absolutely beautiful and the access to the back seat is spectacular. Also really love the way the rear door can't screw up the front door if closed out of sequence and how the whole thing locks together. if you havent seen one yet, ya gotta do it!

there was a callifornia incentive on my truck but i think thats for all Ca vehicles. Edmunds has a page about current incentives, go to the home page and if it isn't there, there probably isn't one.

good luck, and i guarantee you won't regret it if you go Qcab! -- buck
  • Options
    dkgdkg Member Posts: 11
    pete38,

I looked up your e-mail address, tried to send you a message and my ISP rejected me.

So, lets try to connect this way.

Which dealer did you deal with? I am ready to order my Dodge. It will be a 2500 TurboDiesel, Quad Cab, with all the bells and whistles. I am curious about the dealer you found.

As for your order, what color? I assumed that it is white, with the grey leather interior. What other features does it have?

Have you heard about the Cummins group that meets in Commerce City Monthly? I talked to one TurboDiesel owner and he said the meetings are monthly and have been a great help. They will tell us things that Dodge does not.

Anyway I would like to hook up and find out about another Colorado owner.

My e-mail is dkgross@earthlink.net

I know this one works. Perhaps yours dropped a letter I will retry by adding another letter to the end.

Thanks,

DKG
  • Options
    DKG, I have had trouble connecting to this bbs recently, I don't know if it is my server or what. I will try to contact you email as well as posting this. The dealer I found, is Ferraro in Loveland. They were great to me, the guy I worked with is Mike Hickman. Another guy saw my posts and bought his from Mike also. He lives in Aurora, I had a terrible time trying to deal with the Denver Dealership. I think they know these trucks are so popular in this area they know they can sell them for any price.
    As far as my truck goes, it is white exterior, gray leather interior group, automatic, 24 valve Cummins, sliding rear window, Heavy duty Suspension group, Heavy Duty Transfer case, remote keyless entry, Trailer tow group, air dam. Total MSRP 36,330 including destination cost My deal was under 31,500 including destination cost so that was close to 5000 under msrp. My email is gpeters@bvsd.k12.co.us
  • Options
    Lane2youLane2you Member Posts: 4
    Hello Everyone,

Well I'm getting real close to purchasing my truck. Getting the $$$ stuff finalized first and can't wait to make my purchase. Shooting for mid May. Have talked to about five dealers here in So. Cal market and will go with the one who gives me the best deal.

Big question: should I order a truck or buy from the lot? Here is what I'm looking at:

Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4wd Longbed (shortbed?)
    White or Driftwood (not sure yet)
    Cummins Turbo Diesel/Automatic
    SLT Package (2YG)
    Trailer Tow Group
    Travel Convenience Group
    Shift-on-fly Transfer
    Sliding Rear Window
    Ca Emissions (required)
    Am/FM Stereo w/CD

My numbers come out to about:

Base $30,709
    Cal Tax 7.75% $ 2,380
    2% License Fee $ 614
    Registration $ 38

Grand Total: $33,741 <-----lot of $$$

Questions:

1) Now how much over Invoice should I offer these guys or should I simply say they should sell me this thing at Invoice since they get 3% of the MSRP value which will be more than there usual truck sell?

2) If I Order my truck does anyone know the approximate waiting time for delivery and how much deposit do they want at ordering time.

3) What are the real advantages of the long bed over the short bed. (I may need to sleep in the back on trips, is the short bed too short?)

4) If I order should I also get 4 wheel ABS?

This is a present to myself for graduating law school and the fact that the wife walked out 10 days before the bar. So, I am going to reward myself with the truck I aways wanted and can now afford.
  • Options
    hey, Lane, congrats on the truck! the way I see it, its gonna depend on how bad you want exactly the features you listed. If so, you're gonna want to custom order. but Pete38 has been waiting since 2/16 for his beauty, so that tells you how long it takes.

>> some of the guys here do real good playing dealers against each other -- a good plan if you've got enuf time. if you can't wait for a custom order, not every dealer is gonna have your particulars in stock. let them know you did your homework. the other guys have done good.

>> long/short bed: short is 6.5 ft, not awful for sleeping (how tall are you?). But since you can fit a 8 ft stud in the bed on the diag, you'll have more room if you sleep that way! you also save some $$ on short bed, but what other uses are you gonna have, and does the extra 1.5 ft make sense? If you haul drywall / plywood & don't want to hang it over the tailgate, go long. or do you have a lot of gear & need more space? but, parking the long bed is a bit harder.

>> 4w ABS may make a difference on your insurance, but not mine -- 2w ABS was enuf for my ins co to give me a discount. I will let the real pro's (there's a lot of 'em here!) tell you about any mechanical advantages from 4-w ABS.

Good luck and happy driving!! Buck
  • Options
    Lane2you, I think there are many factors as to if a dealer will make you a good deal. The trucks they have on the lot are costing them money because they are carrying the inventory, a truck you order they don't have to carry since you are buying it. Sometimes you can get a real good deal on a truck they can't sell because of the color etc. but thats not happening here in Colorado with the 24 valve cummins. I think it is easier to get a better deal on the order truck but the wait is killing me, and I didn't think it would be a big deal! Good Luck in your shopping!
  • Options
    Lane2,

There is always a way to get a truck for no more than 3%-4% over dealer invoice and well below MSRP. Ideally, you can get for within a few hundred of dealer invoice. Keep shopping. You'll find your deal. If you don't have a trade-in and you know exactly what you want, try to shop it over the phone.

If you can get a dealer to order you one, he should do it for very close to invoice since he won't incur any inventory costs associated with having it on the lot. If none of the dealers in the local area will give you a deal, you might check other areas. I live in Dallas, but ordered my truck from a dealer in Oklahoma. It will cost me a $90 one-way ticket to pick the truck up and an additional $39 related to local sales tax and registration, but I saved $1,100.

I agree with Pete; the waiting is the hardest part when you order. I ordered my truck three weeks ago and it is expected to take 12 weeks.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I got my Ram 3500 in 1996 for 3% over invoice by making dealers bid for it. I wrote a form with the exact truck I wanted, made it clear I was ordering and willing to wait, and most important, let the dealers know they were in competition with each other for my business. Sticker on my truck was $33991 - I paid $30376, invoice was $29278. I saved over $3600, the dealer (with holdback) made over $2100, and we're both very happy with the deal.
  • Options
    The buyer is truly in the driver's seat if:

- You know exactly what you want, so you don't have to kick the tires or take a test drive;
    - Do not have a trade-in;
    - Bring your own financing;
    - Are prepared to order rather than drive one off the lot that day;
    - Have done your homework and know exactly what the dealer paid for the vehicle.

These are ideal conditions, so most people don't have them all in their favor. If you have all of those elements on your side, you should be able to get close to dealer invoice when it comes to Ford, Dodge or Chevy trucks. You've taken away all their negotiating tools.
  • Options
    JTOJTO Member Posts: 28
    Hey everyone! Most of you are talking about your NEW dodges, but what about the people who have had there's for a few miles? I'm picking up a '95 SB 1500 this week, and I'm already thinking about after market exhaust/ power adders. It has a 5.2L, auto, loaded. I don't expect it to beat my mustang, but anything (cheap) would be great!
    Has anyone modified the 5.2L in these trucks? And where is a good place to look for parts?
  • Options
    Hi, Folks!
    I heard a couple of things today that I want to run by you all.

1) There's a rumor about a a 5.5L SOHC V8 that allegedly pumps out 300HP...cleaner emissions, better fuel economy. I know fur sure there's a 4.7L SOHC V8 out there slated for the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee...similar performance numbers to the 5.2L.

2) I heard that down the raod the EPA is going to be coming down on taller than stock tires on pickups because it is claimed that they affect the emissions.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!

As far as I'm concerned, this is just RUMOR/HEARSAY until confirmed by actual hard data.

I just want to know if anyone out there has heard the same rumors, and if they have any other information to share on the subjects. Thanks!
  • Options
    armadillo,

In March of 1999, Ford will start production of the SVT F-150 Lightning. It will be powered by a supercharged, intercooled version of the 5.4L Triton V-8 and will crank out 300hp. Ford claims that there will be no doubt who has the fastest truck on the streets. It's a natural progression. I do believe the currently dominate the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series at the track.

Ford has some other concept cars that may or may not ever make it into production. They have vehicle called the Adrenalin that is basically a crew cab Ranger with a short cargo box. The demand for this type of vehicle is picking up, so I think we might see a version of that hit the streets.

One of the concept trucks that I don't think will ever hit the streets is basically a souped up version of the Expedition called the Tremor. It has a 4.6L 5 valve DOHC high performance engine that cranks out 380hp and 340lb-ft of troque at 5,500 rpms. It will go 0-60 in under seven seconds.

They also have a huge pickup called the Powerforce, but I don't think we will see that one hit the streets either. I believe they used that to help formulate the idea behind the SuperDuty. I think they design alot of these concept vehicles to help them better design the vehicles that actually make it to market. Ford is always on the cutting edge. Oops! This is the Dodge conference, but you did ask about the V-8 with 300hp. That's a real truck hitting the market next year.
  • Options
    gregsintxgregsintx Member Posts: 7
    The dealer just gave me a build date of April 20 and expected delivery to his lot 14 to 21 days later. I placed the order March 23, so it looks like his estimate of 8 weeks was right on. I cant wait. The guy down the street just got what looks like the same truck I ordered. Black, 1500 Quad Cab 4x4.
    I'm thinking of having the chrome tube cab steps installed. I know Mopar accessories has three kinds available. Anybody know how much it should cost to have these put on and if it's worth buying them from Mopar?
  • Options
    Hi, Brutus.
    I have heard about the Ford offerings. I even have a couple of pictures in one of these magazines I have stacked around here.
    I wasn't clear with my question, so I'll apologize ahead of time. The Rumors I've heard are about engines for Dodge Trucks. If you hear anything about them, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks, big guy.
  • Options
    TimButterfieldTimButterfield Member Posts: 1
    I appreciate all of the messages from different folks about the RAM, engines, etc. It helped my make my decisions resulting in the purchase of a new RAM last night. Here is what I ordered.

2500 Quad Cab 4wd shortbed
    Emerald with Driftwood lower break
    Cummins Turbo Diesel/Automatic
    SLT package
    Trailer tow group
    Aux rear suspension
    4 wheel ABS
    Rear underseat storage
    Shift-on-fly transfer case
    Anti-spin
    4.10 rear end
    Sliding rear window
    Alarm
    Keyless entry
    Power seat
    AM/FM/CD/Cassette
    LT245/75R16E BSW AT

Invoice was $32,559 and I bought it for $200 over that.

There is a difference in the codes and cost for this than what is currently published (which I am sure will soon be corrected). The new 24V diesel is code ETC and cost $3931 invoice instead of the $3778 for the older ETB 12V version. Because of this, the SLT package code changed from 2YG to 2CG though the price is still $1921 invoice.
  • Options
    barbellbarbell Member Posts: 15
    Am ready to order my 4x4, quad, longbed, 3/4 ton diesel, but I have questions: I have heard rumors of trouble with the automatic trans. A phoenix tv staion did a piece on it a while back, but it was short and superficial. They rate the diesel with auto at about 30 less HP than the manual trans. WHY? Also, I think this truck should have enough torque to pull most anything with the standard rear axle ratio. Any thoughts on waiting for the six-speed trans? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    kcram,

So, Dodge is going from a 7.5L V-10 to an 8.0L V-10 and getting an extra 25hp? Any idea what the torque will be? Anyone know the mpg on the current Dodge V-10s?
This discussion has been closed.