Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Miscellaneous Truck Questions

Comments

• Options
    jagman276jagman276 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know how fast the new silverado with the 6 liter engines goes from 0 to 60???
  • Options
    runner3runner3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Nissan 4x4 King Cab that needs the odometer replaced. Does anyone have any info as to if my present odometer can be repaired, or where I can purchase one other than from Nissan?
  • Options
    go1984go1984 Member Posts: 1
    Don't see many (2) F 250's on the road.
    I see lots of 150's but need the strong suspension to pull with or the front comes up.
    Is their a problem with them, I see few F250's on the lots.
  • Options
    zj96zj96 Member Posts: 1
    What does 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton mean?
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    They're casual designations. Historically they referred to payload, but these days there's no such corrolation. With Ford/Dodge/Chevy, they represent roughly equal vehicles. The Toyota 'one-ton' T100 was a joke based on payload (2000#). Remember that a modern one ton 2WD can have a payload capacity of somewhat over 5000# and you'll realize why that particular ad campaign of theirs got them laughed out of the big-truck arena.
  • Options
    saspoweredsaspowered Member Posts: 4
    I have read that pickups have higher insurance rates than sedans. Does anyone have a feel for
    how much higher?
  • Options
    mikeb6mikeb6 Member Posts: 8
    4X4 Pickups have a much higher insurance rates than sedans. I guess they think that everyone with a $30,000 truck is going to take it Off-Road!! Duh!
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Well, that depends. Full coverage ($250 deduct.) on my '99 F350 CC LWB DRW 4X4 V10 (retail ~$36K) costs me under $1K per year. I don't think that's too high. I don't know anyone with that company (Reliance) that drives a 'normal' vehicle though.
  • Options
    hmerglerhmergler Member Posts: 85
    I have a 4x2 1/2 ton pickup that as with most 4x2's, doesn't have the best traction in winter on the snowy roads. I have tried to put sand and cinder blocks in the bed to weight the back down, but without much luck. My guess is that I am not using enough and not placing it in the right spot. I've been using 400 lbs. of sand and placed the bags as close to the tailgate as possible. Any ideas would be appreciated.

- The Merg
  • Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    put the sand bags in the middle of the bed over the axle
  • Options
    ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Ditto.
  • Options
    hmerglerhmergler Member Posts: 85
    How much should I use though? Thanks for the input.

- The Merg
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    I think you are doing it right by putting the weight as far back as possible. The 400 lbs of weight in the very back will have an effect of more like 500 to 600 lbs. Plus it increases your polar moment of inertia and the vehicle will be less twitchy.
    More weight is also better, used to carry a ton of block in my F350 2wd. Stuck pretty well. Studded tires and chains also help alot. You can put the new Z chains on in less than 5 minutes a side without moving the truck.
  • Options
    dicknsndicknsn Member Posts: 1
    Toyota has dealer incentives on "B" Cabs and "C"
    Cabs. Does anyone know for sure if a B cab is a
    regular or an Xtra?
  • Options
    daniel2daniel2 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like an opinion from anyone. MY question is rather unusual. I will be trying to purchase, sight unseen, from a reliable source, a 1991 Chevy S10, extended cab, 6-cyl., auto tran, power windows, a/c, with ONLY 3,500 original miles. I've been told the car is mint, in and out. These facts I feel are reliable. What I cannot find is a reliable way to determine what a reasonable price should be. Anyone have a sense about this?
  • Options
    dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    I was wondering if anyone has heard of the walker quiet flow mufflers. I live in Canada, and t is available here, but wanted to know if it is a good muffler, and what will it sound like hooked up to a inline 4 cylnder, 2,6 chrysler motor. It costs around $80.00 cdn, and the avg muffler here costs around $25-35cdn. Does anyone own this muffler, if so hows it work. Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    lat1lat1 Member Posts: 4
    5th wheel hitch location, just got my F 250 SD on
    friday I need to put my hitch on it from my 97 F250 light duty. The Dealer mounted it about 6 to 8 inches behind the center of the rear axel on my 97 this seems to far back to put it on the 99, should I mount it over the axel or should I keep it further back,I don't want to turn to sharp and put the camper into the rear of the cab. Even with it mounted 6 to 8 inches back I had to be carefull not to cut it to short. What is the best location to mounted it on a short box pickup.
  • Options
    stew4525stew4525 Member Posts: 1
    When will the Lincoln Blackwood be available and any specifics about features or cost?
  • Options
    aaron8aaron8 Member Posts: 22
    daniel2,
    use the edmunds pricing guide for used trucks on this web site.
  • Options
    sodiscsodisc Member Posts: 1
    HEY ALL,
    i'm new to this but I have a few questions to throw out there...
    1) If I use the four wheel drive of my 1991 ford f-150 4x4 then put it back into 2wd the front drivers side spline seems to want to re-ingage at about 15 MPH any ideas???

2) The vin on my truck specifies a 2.6 liter or 3.2 liter v6 to the best of my knowledge this has never been an option in this truck ... what gives???
  • Options
    james24james24 Member Posts: 17
    hey all,
    I have a question that needs an answer. My sister owns a 1997 ford f 250 crew cab 4x4 with the power stroke. recently she has had a problem with the transfer case appearing to engage by itself when she makes a slow speed left hand turn and sometimes during braking. She says it feels most pronounced during turns. Her mechanic disassembled the entire front end, greased the hubs, ajusted all torgue requirements, and said he could find nothing wrong. has anyone else experienced this problem. She has the shift on the fly hubs. I suggested she upgrade this system to a manual hub system. Any help would be usefull. She fears a trip to the dealer for this.
  • Options
    zemo48zemo48 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 chevy pickup...cheyenne 1500 is this considered a work truck..i have a silverado package on it but can find no listing in the nada book for a cheyenne..but plenty for 1500's...i have a v6 engine in it..but am not sure if it classifies as a work truck or wt..paid 19,600 off sticker
  • Options
    big_dbig_d Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if someone could help me. I found a truck a T-Series Chevrolet pickup, I was wondering could someone tell me what this is? Is it a work truck or possibly a flat bed?
  • Options
    bud100bud100 Member Posts: 1
    I have a F150 reg cab with a wildernest camper shell and I want to add a "legal" bolted in seat inside the bed. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket company out there making such a thing.
    Here in California you can't even have people ride inside a covered bed unless they are seat belted in. Thank you in advance for any info
  • Options
    I saw one in a catalog I have at home. I'll look it up and get back to you.
  • Options
    arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    In reply to #286:

If my memory is correct, the T series is a 4X4 S-10 compact Chevy truck, simply identified as a T-10.
  • Options
    alabamaalabama Member Posts: 1
    Is there an advertisement charge on invoice's for Dodge Ram Trucks? The dealer I am dealing with claims so!
  • Options
    donbaker2donbaker2 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I am about to buy a Ford F350 CC Diesel Dually to haul a large 5th wheel that I plan to buy soon. Never owned a truck or diesel. My question is: what are all the difficult parking and driving problems I can expect to deal with with my dually and how does everyone deal with them? i.e., parking lots, bank drive-thrus, etc.)Also, is there a "Dually support group out there on the internet?
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    alabama- Yes there is an advertising cost past on from the factory. This info is available on this site where you look up dealer cost on the truck They also have buying tips and consumer info.
  • Options
    skipthomasskipthomas Member Posts: 4
    OK, all you Silverado owners, I need to know which works better, Inst Track or Auto Track. I live at Lake Tahoe, and to get home some days means negotiating steep county roads with a foot or more of snow on top of a few inches of ice. I hate to chain up, and I don't like getting stuck either. What do you experienced owners suggest?
  • Options
    mudmud Member Posts: 1
    I have found a good 1992 Dodge diesel that has been well taken care of but it has a automatic trans which I would like to change to a standard trans. Would anyone have info on the wareabouts of a good trans/clutch bellhousing asb.
  • Options
    marniemmarniem Member Posts: 3
    I am about to purchase a Ford truck (1970 - 1989) F250 or F350, V8, standard cab. I am trying to get some information on which years have less mechanical problems, recalls, mileage, prices, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to find this information or have any comments regarding which year I should buy? Thanks.
  • Options
    gbergergberger Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new 4x4 short bed pickup. I need to tow 3000 lbs without straining the engine. Is there a basic rule of thumb when determining towing capacity? There are trucks that tow and those that tow with ease. I like the Toyota pick-ups for their reliability but not for comfort. I like the Dodge Dakota, but I heard their automatics have problems. I'm looking for the most economical vehicle that can do the job right.
  • Options
    roarkroark Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 1994 B4000 4x4 and was wondering if anyone had experienced any major problems with the truck. Is 4x4 harder to maintain?
  • Options
    wboudrawboudra Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the cellular telephone hands-free prewiring option with my '99 Silverado 1500 LT. Dealer has no experience with this wiring and is frantically searching for the details. Can anybody help me out. Have you purchased this option and successfully used it to hook up a cellular telephone hands-free speaker/microphone.
  • Options
    ssoperssoper Member Posts: 2
    While test driving various Dodge Ram 1500's (4x4) both 5.2L and 5.9L, I notices some of the trucks had significantly more fan noise (Roar) than others. Does anyone know what would cause the difference in the noise levels?
  • Options
    angusmacangusmac Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of selecting a Ford pick up.
    I am a salesman on the road a lot. I am 6'3" and weigh 300#. I can't fit into a ranger. Should I buy a F150,F250, F250SD or an F350. I don't pull or haul anything. Just want the most cab room in a pickup. Need to factor in operating costs and comfort. My other Vehicle is Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    My wife requires a decent ride with out jarring her teeth out. Suggestions? Please give me some feedback.
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    angusmac

F150 Extended cab, with Bucket seats, and the small v-8. that should give you the best room for the cheapest operating cost, and a good ride.

But if you want even cheaper operating cost (better mileage, no maintenance for 5 years), a better ride (depends), and even more interior room (cab larger by 5 inches), go drive a new Silverado extended cab.
  • Options
    hohohoho Member Posts: 64
    I am looking for information about intake/exhaust problems. I have an 85 F-250 300ci 6cyl. I have a problem keeping the hot box gasket from blowing. I have bought new intake/exhaust manifolds and have blued them to the head and to each other. No problems there, great fit up. I have followed the required torque specs and procedures. All new bolts, nuts, washers and gaskets. Loose fit up on the hotbox bolts torqued the head bolts in thre stages to 11-13 ftlbs and followed up with the hotbox bolts to 22 ftlbs. Warmed up the engine to operating temps and retorqued to specs. The gaskets on the hotbox will last for one or two weeks and start to leak and then will completely let go.

Any advise would be helpful. I really dont want to get rid of the truck.
  • Options
    hobbes26hobbes26 Member Posts: 4
    This is a very miscellaneous truck question....I'm getting a Tacoma Prerunner to haul my kayaks around and I'm looking for a rack for the back of the truck - Thule and Yakima only do car racks. I've priced racks that are $200 - $300. Ouch! Anyone out there have something used I could buy or ideas about where to look for a used rack? Even just a rear bar would work. I'm in Charlotte, NC and willing to travel the 3 or 4 state area to pick up a rack at a good price.....
    Any info is appreciated - thanks! :-)
  • Options
    RichRich Member Posts: 128
    Hobbes26,
    My advice would be to go to one of your local shops that make the truck racks for the guys in the construction trades. Probably they could build a rack that fits your truck and the kayaks. You may have to design the kayak part of the rack. You would get exactly what you want and need.
    Rich
  • Options
    hobbes26hobbes26 Member Posts: 4
    Rich,

That is an excellent idea - I could easily buy foam protectors to rest the kayaks on and still use my tie-downs....thanks!
  • Options
    Does any one have any ideas for post # 303?
  • Options
    You could try posting your question in the Maintenance & Repair Conference. Someone there might have some ideas.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
  • Options
    Thanks. Don't know why I didn't think of that one. It must be a gene thing. See that is why you are our "Mascot".
  • Options
    Glad I could help.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
  • Options
    bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Angusmac:
    You will want to seriously look at the f250 SuperDuty.. They are priced VERY CLOSE to a normal f150 but are bigger in every aspect. Interior room would fit most NBA players.

They are smooth on the road, (firm ride but definatly not jolting or rolly). If you get the 5.4L engine you can expect mileage between 13/15 mpg. (which is alot less than a Ranger, but not that far of of an F150).

F250 SuperDuty SuperCab 2wd short bed vs same f150
    Longer: by about 3 inches, bed is 3 inches longer
    Wider: by about 4 inches. Seems like more inside than outside.
    Taller: ALOT, you literally look down on Suburban roof racks. (yes, even the 2wd)

Best of all, the truck will fit you.. Plan on getting the running boards so the wife can climb in.
    Its sortof a stretch to call it a commuter vehicle, but then again, folks use 4x4 Expeditions and Suburbans for commuter vehicles every day..

Check one out, I think you will like it..
  • Options
    igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    Hello friends
    I own a 1994 B2300(Ranger disguised as a Mazda),
    2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine.
    I bought it with 42,000 miles on it. It now has
    82,000 miles on it. I love it. I have only had
    to tune it up once, and I am religious about
    changing the oil every 2,000 to 2,500 miles. One
    question though: obviously the vehicle lacks
    power, but sometimes when I am pushing it on the
    highway, like trying to climb a bit doing 55, I
    hear a flutter coming from the engine as I depress
    the accelerator to compensate for the hill or
    whatever. Almost sounds like a diesel engine at
    times. What is it,
    and what might happen? It doesn't affect the
    overall performance of the vehicle; it's simply a
    weird fluttering sound.
  • Options
    igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    What's the general feeling out there on the value of using snows? I use Cooper Weathermasters, with Studs, on my Ford/Mazda Ranger. I really feel like they make a difference during the sometimes harsh New England Winters. Any comments, suggestions, opinions? Should I try a set on my new Honda Civic hatchback this winter, or stick with the factory installed all weather tires?
  • Options
    nocartersnocarters Member Posts: 8
    About to order 2000 Chevy Silverado. Want the big tires which require either suspension pkg Z85 or ZX3(HD and Ride Control). Which should I get and how do they affect the ride(2WD). Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.