Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    Hey all, I'm back. I've been very busy at work, and haven't posted in ages. My 01 ES 5spd has been great, just passed 12k miles.

Ron, your problem sound very strange, and its not boring me at all. I'm interested to find out the final verdict. I've pressed the clutch to see if would disengage the CC on my car, and it did. But I never put in neutral and set it. Granted, its not something you would really do, but I would think that the car could sense what gear its in. Maybe not, I guess.

Also, Chikoo has been asking, and it sort of puzzles me, oftentimes an Auto with cruise will downshift on a hill. Obviously in a 5spd it cant' control the gears, so if you came to a steep hill, you might have a problem?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Well on my way to work this morning, after a killer snow/ice storm last night (making the roads akin to ice rinks), I hit a concrete curb going about 10 km/h. Now, my steering wheel starts to shake at 30 km/h and at 50 km/h (30 mph) it really vibrates my arms.

So angry!!!!!!!

Sigh...my question now is should I go to the dealer to get it looked at or is a place like Midas ok?
    I assume there's no way they're doing it under warranty :(

Thanks.
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Posts: 174
    Since it's possible you may have a bearing problem, I would avoid Midas. As good repair shop should be able to check it out. On the mminor side you could just have an alignment problem or have lost a wheel weight. On the bad side, a bearing. A good shop should remove the wheel and make sure it's balanced first and then check for free play in the bearing and then verify the alignment. I suppose Midas could do all that, but the ones here are not that good.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    "Edmund's TCO, my Jetta will cost $3830 more to own than my Protege did."

Edmunds's TCO is flawed for me. I pay no financing charges as I'm sure there are other people here who don't either. So compared with me, your Jetta will cost A LOT more than $3830 to own than my Protege. What was your Jetta financed at?
    Only reason I suggest Midas is that my Uncle works for them and I trust him.
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Posts: 348
    Mike, sorry to hear about that. You really gotta stop banging into curbs. I don't have any more hubcaps left. In all seriousness, it sounds like you've damaged and bent the tie rods and possibly the front axel as well.

You should not be driving the car and distance at all. Take it to a repair center immediately.

Meade,

Are you here? I have a question for you.
    Thanks for the advice....but Midas or Dealership? I'm really looking at cost here.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    Hmm. I think I will try to engage my cruise while in neutral, to see what it does if I ever accidentally hit the set button (I always leave cruise on - may not any more if my car will rev while in neutral). I will have my feet ready to press clutch and brake so I don't over-rev.

If you are going up a hill too steep for the current gear to keep the speed constant with the cruise set in a manual, you will loose speed until you intervene. I have found that, in general, unless you are in the wrong gear to begin with, my Pro has enough power to keep its speed up hill without downshifting. YMMV
    If cost is your concern, Midas. I've known some good Midas folks. If you get a good Midas, I don't foresee any issues, IMO.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Dang! That totally sucks!
    Dealer tells me:
    $76/hour labour
    $80 alignment
    $??? = unknown
    :(
    For cost, definately Midas.

For quality of work and parts, definately the dealer.
    I've decided on the dealer...since my car is so new, I want it done with their expertise and part source.
    I'll keep you all updated.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    You might be able to claim that on your insurance. Tell them you lost control of the car due to road conditions, and they might pick up the bill if the repairs do cost too much.

And if I were you, I would take the car to the dealer just to be safe.
    You got out of the ticket? I know that's right! :) Cool. Well with mine, the cop wrote I was going 66 instead of the 85 I was going, so that was cool of him. I didn't go to court though, although I should have. Now I have 3 pts. on my license. :(
    Oops. How did you get out of that one, pray tell? I never get out of tickets. Maybe I look like a trouble maker. :-(

I finally had to pass on the GTP to the wife and buy the Pro in order to save my license. That car had a way of dampening the sensation of speed while making speed quickly (as long as you were going in a straight line). My license is still not safe, especially on twisty roads. ;-)
    I never thought about the financing rate issues. My car is financed a little on the high side, but lower than the Protege was. The Pro was at 13% almost. That's another reason I was glad to upgrade to the newer car, to lower the rate.
    I know how you feel. I have to really keep an eye on the speedo in the Jetta. In the Protege, I could tell when I was up to 80mph or so, because the engine was loud enough to let me know. But now, it feels like I am doing like 50 and all of a sudden I look down and am going 90. :)

And usually if you get pulled over and they pull your record and see it's clean, they will just give you a warning. I have had that once, but that was a long time ago.
    My wife's Protege needs new tires. Actually, she will need them by the end of the summer although they are really losing any wet weather stability and traction.

I can't remember what tires you placed on your Protege that you are so in love with. I remember that they are Dunlops though.

Questions are:

1) Are they Dunlop SP Sport A2 tires? If not, what types are they?

2) what tire size do you have on currently and are you aware of what the maximum sizing would be for the 2000 ES Protege?

I have an opportunity to purchase 4 Dunlop SP Sport A2's 205/55R16 for $503.96 or 4 Dunlop SP Sport A2's 225/50R16 for $559.46.

Anyone care to comment or add feedback, please do so.
    Yes, they are the Sport A2s Meade put on his car.

He "plus zero" sized, and I think they are 205/50/15s, but not totally sure.
    If I claim it under insurance then won't my premiums go up up up? I think this is one of those cases where insurance stays out of it and the money disappears from my pocket :(

At least they gave me another Pro for a loaner! Some gold colour. I think it's an SE...the badges are covered with snow and I can't tell otherwise...no power locks or power anything though, so I'm guessing SE.

They were going to charge me for a new wheel cover, but I said I had some extras...Thanks Tim!! :D
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The B-series 1.8 was used up until 1998. In 1999 and 2000, the 1.8 was a direct derivative of the 2.0 FSD.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    btw, in future, learn to take W I D E turns.....i scream at my wife who like to take turns with a small radius...always the fear of banging into the curbs....
    Hope that it's only the alignment...not bearings and axle...they are pretty tough...
    LOL! It wasn't because of a wide turn...I was making a right turn at a 4-way-stop. The stop sign on my right was anchored to a large triangular curb height structure and sat in the middle of the road. That is what I smacked into. I only moved about 5 feet before I hit it.
    The estimate for my repair is this (all in CDN $):
    New rim = $187.08
    Alignment = 85.55
    Estimation time = 82.65
    Total incl tax = $380.15

Does anybody else think that price of the rim is out of line, or is it just me?
    I'm talking just about steel rims...not alloys/mags
    OK. I tried it. Got the car up to 50, put it in neutral, then pressed the set button, and ...
    Zing went the (strings of my heart) tachometer. Guess I'll get out of the habit of always leaving the cruise power on, cause those buttons are a bit too easy to accidentally hit.
    What is the current exchange rate? I've seen 15" steels for around $40 US.
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Posts: 163
    I think that price is outrages for a steel rim. I have steelies for my winter tires and I paid under $60/rim for mine. Maybe mine weigh just a bit more than the dealers but I'm sure not that much. See if they will come down on that price.

d.

ps. I live in Ontario so things should be that much different.
    You can pick up an alloy American Racing or Motegi rim for $124 to $180.00..... Steel rims should not cost you any more than $80.00 maximum.