Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• I appreciate your support. And yes, I guess this might helpful... by allowing the owners to hang out in a more casual atmosphere. We aim to please.

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • 87lion87lion Posts: 166
    I think the dual topics should please most of the participants. Of course you can't please everybody but this should work for most of us. I appreciate the effort.
  • erikf2erikf2 Posts: 100
    don't let Tim know where Ryan is hanging out! Boy's gotta have SOME relief! LOL
  • danadana Posts: 36
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

Dana S. Livingston
    Manager, Community
    Town Hall
    Edmunds.com
    dlivingston@edmunds.com
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    me?

I can handle it...

I know where he is....at his own site now...

I don't frequent Gmextreme...pickuptruck.com...CW's...etc.....but have heard of them.

- Tim
    ....I'm just toughening him up for later life!

It's a nasty world out there....and if I can turn him into a wise cracking smart [non-permissible content removed]......allllrightyy then.

hehe

- Tim
  • sf0383sf0383 Posts: 204
    I'm not sure where you live. If it's Hawaii then I can probably see where you are stuck. How much would it cost to ship one do you have any idea?
  • erikf2erikf2 Posts: 100
    Andrew, you might also want to check out the HappyCampers chat area (www.happycampers.net); lots of folks hauling fifth-wheels over there.

I have Firestone Ride Rites with the in-cab control on my '00 Silverado 2500 since I carry a slide-in camper (2100 lbs. dry). Airbags are generally considered a necessity when hauling heavy loads more for maintaining safe handling characteristics (anti-sway) than for ride comfort reasons. Since your pin weight should actually be well under your payload capacity, I would look more to progressive or adjustable shocks like Edelbrock IAS or Rancho 9000s to improve ride smoothness, although properly adjusted airbags should give some relief in this area as well.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Yep...it's Hawaii. I remember Hulagirl had bought a Supercrew from Oregon and had it shipped to Hawaii for around $800 cause no dealer would budge off of MSRP. I think the Oregon dealer did an invoice + $500 deal. Was thinking of going the same route when ready.....cause there ain't no way I'm going to pay what they are asking.
    sure you show the salesman your new truck when you do it!

LOL

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Saleman wanted me to fill a credit app. I kinda laughed. So while walking through the showroom said really loud "If filling a credit app is required to negotiate for a truck, I know a GMC dealer up the street who doesn't require that!!". The finance manager who was walking by looked distressed. So I had to add (since this chevy dealer's parent co. also owns a GMC dealership 20 miles away) "I can also go to the other GMC dealer and not fill in any credit app. Hell, I can go to any dealership and not fill in a credit app to deal for a truck"...needless to say, I didn't fill a credit app. I also told the F&I guy that this is my third truck I'm looking at...better start keeping better records.
  • Does anybody recommend a manufacture and if I should get the in-cab control.I think I will get a set come spring/summer before camping season starts here in Minnesota.

Also thanks to Ryan in helping me find splash guards.I have been looking for awhile for some guards and I kept going to his pics cuz I liked his so that is what I bought.
    Thanks Ryan if you are reading,for your pics they helped me out alot.

Andrew
  • 25 posts in this discussion...15 in the straight guy discussion.....guess we know where we'd rather be....Tim, bco, time for another beer?

Truck's put to bed for the night, so time to go cruisin'
    matthew
    ....except I already started several hours ago....

Truck to bed?....uhh....not yet.....what if I need more beer?

- Tim
  • I traded in my 2000 GMC X-Cab Z71 5.3 3.73 last night. It only had 1600 miles on it and I paid $26,500 in Nov. I got $24,995 in the trade-in. I didn't have any problems with the truck I just needed out of the payment and an SUV.

Funny Story: Last night at the dealership a guy was buying a 2001 3/4 ton HD, the went through the whole process of financing and everything when the salesman handed him the keys. A few minutes later the guy comes storming back in and said "That's trucks not 4WD".

Needless to say he thought the whole time it was 4WD. Don't ask me how either the customer or salesman let it go that far but the guy was pissed.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Posts: 1,000
    like the guy did'nt have a clue as to why he was buying a HD truck for in the first place. usually poeple buying that much truck will take the time to at least sit in it and go for a test drive.

but there are those that'll buy all the crap from those tv commercials that promise you financial wealth beyond your dreams.
  • hunter98hunter98 Posts: 273
    Yeah, sounds like the guy didn't know what the f*** he was doin. If you don't know when one is 4wd or not that you just bought, you need a whole in your head for a lobodamy worse than you need the truck. I assume you traded for a Yukon?. How well did that work out for you. Hope it works out well for ya.

Hunter
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    You might want to check out the Cabover Camper and Camper Trailer chat here on the Edmunds site.

We have discussed air bags a couple of times. I have installed Air Lifts on my 1500 and my 2500. The 1500 sagged down to the bumpstops when loaded near the GVWR. A set of Air Lift Ride Control air springs helped that out without destroying the ride. Those came from Summit Racing for a little over $100. On the 2500 I installed the Air Lift Super Duty air bags from Camping World for $250. The Ride Controls were a pain to install while the Super Dutys where a snap to install. Vince4 has an in-cab control for his air pressure and uses it to level in campsites, to adjust the headlights when driving, etc.

Mike L
  • I am buying a 2001 silver ado 2500HD 6.0, 4.10,T. What kind of milage can I expect from this truck. Thank You. Bill
  • Maybe they should change the caption under ryans truck picture to non-participant truck of the week...Where is everyone?
    Email me and I will give you the new "Home" location RYAN and everyone else.

jaredhunter@yahoo.com

Hunter
  • bcobco Posts: 756
    more "out" than "hang" 'round here. good call to the "powers that be" in town hall. let's set up a hangout for people to just "chat". looks like it's working out pretty well. LOL. hehehe.

did someone say...ghost town??? ;)

bco
  • hillhoundhillhound Posts: 537
    Hey I just got a 2001 Silv Ext Cab 1500 4x4 with 5300 and 4.10. Really like it so far. Traded in Dodge Ram 1500 with 318 and I love the increased power!! The salesman tried to talk me into the 4800 but I said what the h*ll & went all the way. The 4800 alone blew away the 318 anyway!
    I had alot of trouble with that Ram but it was fun to drive. Hope the Chevy holds up good. This is my first ext cab truck (wife's idea) but I'm starting to like it.
    The posts about the guys not paying attention to what the truck has when they buy it cracks me up. My dad's neighbor bought a Ranger a few years ago (great deal) and was real happy with it until my dad asked how you put it in 4wd!
    haha. Seems it was missing that little feature. Anyway the dealer took it back with no major consequences.
    Catch y'all later...
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    Congratulations !!!!!
    The 2001 Silverado's seem to be built quite well.
    I got my Z-71 ext-cab in Dec '00 (truck born on 12/6/00)
    and my dad got his Z-71 ext-cab in Jan '01 (truck born on 11/14/00) .
    Like son like father, I guess.
    Neither of us have had any problems and no regrets.
    They are really great trucks.

I got in a stop light race the other day with a fwd V6 Camary.
    I lost because when I stepped on the gas, both back tires broke loose, and I laid a pair of 20' patches of tire mark on the dry pavement behind me. I had to get off the gas to get traction again. I did catch back up to it again, but couldn't pass it because our two lane road merged into one lane. The 5.3L has a lot of power. Maybe I should try that in 4wd next time.

Enjoy the ride......
    -David
  • hillhoundhillhound Posts: 537
    I think the guy in the Camry might have been a little red-faced if your tires had held! Glad to hear your Z71s are doing good.
    Later!
  • Cant wait, I turn 16 in February. I will most likely get my first truck in March or April. Im thinking about getting Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab. Flowmasters and everything it is gonna be a sweet ride. I'm counting down the days till i get this truck. If my parents want to squander a little more cas it will be 4x4 and flare sides. Got any tips on how to make this truck run sweeter.
    Consider yourself lucky that your parents are going to buy you a New truck of that price range especially at 16. Drive carefully not carelessly to avoid accidents. You will have to watch where you park to avoid getting dings or scratches, and won't fit in some parking spots. Take it easy on the throttle in the fact that these trucks love to rev and run fast. You really don't need any mods with the 5.3L but if you feel the need, Exaust, K&N air induction, Synthetic motor oil is where most go to and stop. Should put the HP just over 300 compared to the stock 285.

Best of Luck

Hunter

2000 GMC 1500 Ext Cab SLT 4x4
  • rgmaxxrgmaxx Posts: 2
    Hello All... I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Ex. Cab 4X4 5.3L. The motor will use ~2 Quarts of oil (5W-30W) every 5,000mi. I have had the dealer check the situation and they gave me a GM Technical Bulletin that says this level of consumption is within "acceptable" (HA!) limits.

The truck doesn't smoke at all, there is some liter noise when at idol. The truck has 34,000mi on it now its done this from new.

Has anyone experienced this problem, how can I get the motor fixed while its still under warranty... Help!

Thanks in advance.
    ...they get new cars...or a lease right from the get go.....what happended to late night working on the rod to get it going again by class time the next day with the new cam you put in that night?

..what happened to the youth working!?

Oh well

- Tim
  • 87lion87lion Posts: 166
    I wasn't allowed to get a license until I was 17. Then I had to pay my own insurance and gas, and even then could only drive the family car occasionally. I finally got the family car to share with my brother when Mom got a new car. By then it was so rusted I redid the two rear wheel wells with galvanized sheet, replaced one door with a junk yard door and redid about the bottom third of another door with sheet metal and White Magic.

I think Hunter said it well in post 58. Appreciate it, take care of it and drive responsibly,
This discussion has been closed.