Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• Options
    momgraymomgray Member Posts: 18
    Well, CarsDirect says they can help me get together the paperwork for Mazda financing, so if that's true, and I get 4.9 for 60 months and I can use it with their price ($17036, auto the only option, includes destination but not Tax, title, license or doc), I'm seriously thinking of it.

Anyone else try CarsDirect for the Protege5?

Or ... anyone else in Chicago area get it at less than invoice?

Last - would this be a better deal than the s-plan/x-plan (and what was that site again)?

• Options
    hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    $17,036 is $565 over invoice. Pretty good I guess. S-Plan price should be around $16,279. The problem is dealers don't have to sell you one at the S-Plan price. They will if you can wait. How long? I have no idea. Some Hyundai dealers are already selling the GT below invoice. The supply is about as tight as the Protege5.
  • Options
    aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    Last month I printed out the CarsDirect price for a p5 with the options I wanted (silver, moonroof, abs, alarm), brought it to a local mazda dealer, they matched it, then took care of the financing and recent graduate rebate ($400).. The whole process including test drive took about 45 minutes. Car should arrive in the next couple weeks.

I felt more comfortable dealing with a salesman in person rather than making the deal over the phone/email.. My family has been driving mazdas for the last 15 years, I've been driving mazdas since I was a senior in high school and hope to keep driving mazdas in the future. (provided Ford doesn't mess them up) :) I just moved (New Jersey), so I figured a good relationship with a local dealer will come in handy down the road.. say hypothetically when the 2004 limited rotery miatas come out!, or if I have any warrenty repair issues with the car.. (I am just JOKING about the miata!)

Anyhow, I dunno if that helps you in any way.. I would definately at least try for the s-plan.. about $500 cheaper than carsdirect price right now in my area, otherwise I would assume a local dealer would match the carsdirect pricing.. if they don't, walk out, and don't be surprised if they change their mind on your way out the door :)

(ps - this is not a limited car.. the longer you wait the better price you will get)

-Mark
  • Options
    momgraymomgray Member Posts: 18
    Okay, thanks hkchan and aardvark_mark - some things to ponder (wait or not ....).

I'm going to scroll back (again, should have written it the first time I found it) for that link on s-plan -and look it over.

Appreciate the feedback - maybe I'll be posting here again as a new proud owner one day...
  • Options
    Always procrastinate, I mean wait, when buying a car. You can take it from me, the master of procrastination.
  • Options
    pocmonsterpocmonster Member Posts: 15
    i don't know much about bicycling at all, but i was reading a car magazine, and came across a rack ad, so i though i'd refer you interested guys to http://www.bicycleracks.com. cheers!
  • Options
    dgiovannidgiovanni Member Posts: 13
    Greetings. I and other Canadian readers I'm sure would like to know what the Canadian invoice price of the P5 is, and if you or any Canadians would like to share the price you paid. Just want to know so I can get a good deal, and if that means coming to Toronto, so be it. Thanks.
  • Options
    tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    Look back a bit to the information that I gave to rdr001. I gave the invoice price, and the MSRP. I got about $850 off MSRP using X-plan. (I also gave information about X-plan.) I don't know how far you are from Toronto, but there are about 10 dealerships in the city, and some more in the GTA around, so you might be able to negociate. I like the X-plan process, since I hate the bargaining for a car. If you go that route, make sure that the dealership will accept X-plan pricing (it is their choice) before you join.

Good Luck

Nomi
  • Options
    dgiovannidgiovanni Member Posts: 13
    Thanks Nomi! I guess I should have done more reading before asking questions, but I appreciate your response.
  • Options
    iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    below is the address to a review of the P5 printed this morning in the Mpls Star Tribune.

The guy liked the car and gave it a really good review, but he came up with one of the strangest "complaints" (look at the Quick Review). It just goes to show that everything has it's tradeoffs (That, or he had to try really hard to find something negative about the P5).

-Terry

Full review

http://www.startribune.com/viewers/qview/cgi/qview.cgi?story=84356809&template=cars_a

Quick view

http://www.startribune.com/st/qview.cgi?template=variety_a_cache&slug=mazbar

• Options
    andyc76andyc76 Member Posts: 2
    I finally got around to scanning my pics of a blue P5. They are a little dark (courtesy the Rochester, NY cloudy weather). I'm new to Photo point so I hope this works.

go to

http://www.photopoint.com

Click "Visit Albums" tab and enter my email address to see the pics.

andrew.c@stny.rr.com

The blue is nice but I think I'll wait for the white to become available.

• Options
    nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    you can also click directly to a photopoint picture.. click on your pic and when you are viewing only the pic (no banners or anything), select the address and post it.. it will take you straight there... Did you pay for the photopoint? its now only free if you have 10pics or less... aaarrgghh..
  • Options
    andyc76andyc76 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Thanks andy, now I'm positive that blue is my #1 color choise. :-)
  • Options
    Just to throw in my 2 cents worth. I have now seen all the colours in person (although the yellow goes back to last February at the Auto Show). The blue is very nice (it was my second choice) but the red is spectacular in person. I haven't seen any pictures of the red that really do it justice.

Nomi
  • Options
    56355635 Member Posts: 11
    The reds nice, other then mine (yellow), red is the only other colour ive seen in person.
  • Options
    gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    The only color I have seen in person is black. The dealership here has 2, one in the show room and one one the lot. The clean one in the show room looks sharp, the dirty one on the lot just demonstrates how badly black shows dirt. Without seeing it in person I think I will like blue, with red the runner up.
  • Options
    grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    but I decided that another sedan was not needed. I went with a Nissan Frontier pickup for the utility and great price. Anyway, the tranny on our Mitsu Expo wagon just went kaput at 70k miles! We are very disappointed. Therefore we are once more in the market for a purchase. I have read several hundred posts (it's Sunday, no kids). I would like to ask a question regarding the 2.0 engine. I was told last year that this engine and auto tranny came from the 626. This scares me as I have read that Ford indeed had a hand in the development of this combo and there have been problems. I realize that the P5 is 97% Japanese but I am very suspicious of Ford. Can someone please tell me that the above is wrong? I live out in the boonies and we don't have a Mazda dealership. However, I was in love with the Protoge and I really like the P5. Thanks!
  • Options
    rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    I just test drove the protege5 last night. It was a great little car. I was surprised how flat it cornered. I was very impressed with the brakes. I haven't read any specs on the stopping times from sixty mph, but it sure came to a stop very quickly. The only complaint was the shifter position.(5 speed) It seem to be too far back, my arm kept hitting the side of the drivers seat almost every shift. Did any one else notice this? Is it something to get used to?
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The engine is the same as what has been in the 626 since '93 but the trans only goes back to the '99 Protege and was never used in the 626. The 2.0L is solid and the problems that you have mentioned had more to do with the programming Mazda used on the Ford transmission in the 626. However, even the 626 setup has been pretty trouble free since '98 or so.

:)
  • Options
    Thanks maltb, given that you even have dates, it sounds like you know what you are talking about. I'm heading to San Diego in about three weeks and I will definitely test drive. We, prospective buyers, need existing owners to continually post their impressions of their P5's as time goes by. Thanks.
  • Options
    "..it sounds like you know what you are talking about."
    Don't insult him. He KNOWS what he's talking about (99.99%+ of the time, 0.01% deducted for insurance).
  • Options
    you really have to watch out for that .01%. You never know when and where it will appear.

• Options
    Above post has been edited to comply with relevant [non-permissible content removed]-kissing rules and regulations.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have seen only the silver in person, and I don't think it does the car's lines justice. It would probably look very nice in a loud color, like the red or especially yellow.
  • Options
    himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Yeah, the yellow is wild, but silver is all about subtlety. And, it doesn't scream, "HEY COP--OVER HERE!!"
  • Options
    preston_wongpreston_wong Member Posts: 4
    Went to a dealer today, they say that I cannot combine the X-Plan (Canada's equivalent of the S-plan) with the graduate rebate. Can anyone confirm this (I thought you could combine them).

Also, does anyone here know the Canadian dealer invoice price for a Protege ES sedan with GT package and auto, can you help tocan?

Thanks.
  • Options
    pro5girliepro5girlie Member Posts: 20
    I was wondering how long it should take for a car to come in. Mine had to be built/customized, cause I needed the moonroof and ABS/airbags. This was on 5/29. I've seen a couple of shipments come in since, but no one has called. I called my salesman last week, and he didn't know the VIN or anything. He said as soon as he received confirmation he would let me know. Is it supposed to take this long? I'm being patient, but I want to make sure I'm not being jerked around.
  • Options
    aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    I ordered my pro5 5/23 and I'm still waiting.. (silver with ABS/moonroof/manual/alarm) I called my salesman this afternoon, he said the order was in the system but he didn't even have a VIN number yet.. so I expect to be waiting at LEAST another month..

will let you know if I hear any news..
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't have any invoice information on the ES (with or without GT package).

I don't believe that there is any problem combining Graduate rebate with X-plan. To the best of my knowledge the Graduate rebate comes from Mazda, and has nothing to do with the dealer. I don't know whether you can combine X-plan with the 3.9% financing on the P5 (or the 1.9% financing on the Protege) however. I suggest that you call Mazda customer service. They should be able to clarify all the rules. (I talked to someone called Lori Ann Toms - I think - and she was very helpful.)

Nomi
  • Options
    To the best of my knowledge (maltb correct me if I am wrong) you don't really make a custom order. I don't know quite how the dealer requests the car, but if one arrives (in Canada it is only in Vancouver, I'm not sure how many ports of entry there are for the U.S.) with your specs it is assigned to you. If you choose combinations that aren't being produced then you might have a long wait. If you choose something that exists (and doesn't have 20 people ahead of you requesting the same thing) then one can be assigned to you quickly. I was lucky enough to choose a combination there were 3 of in Vancouver, so it arrived 2 weeks after the dealer ordered it.

Nomi
  • Options
    pro5girliepro5girlie Member Posts: 20
    That makes sense. The dealer was looking down a list, and said that there were some that were already "on the water", meaning that they were shipping, and that there were some that were not out on the road yet. He said that they would find one that matched most of what I wanted, and try to get the options added on. They kept telling me it would only take a couple of weeks. Oh well. I feel better now, cause I'm not being messed with. Thanks! I'll just keep driving by the dealership (it's right down the street), and staring at the pretty blue and red ones on the lot.... :(
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Really liked the P-5. Then I drove the Elantra GT hatch. Ouch! Hyundai did a great job loading up this puppy with leather, alloys, Michelins, AM/FM CD with 6 speakers, 4 wheel discs, trip computer, great driver's seat with lumbar support, fog lights, etc. ABS AND traction control are also available. Sticker with moonroof is a lot less than the P-5. Not saying that Hyundai is in Mazda's league, but this is a nice car. Huge warranty can't hurt. The 5-speed is really responsive. Great driver and passenger legroom too and a solid left foot rest for the driver. I park a lot in NY and noticed that CR said that the Elantra bumpers were the best they've tested at 5 mph with no damage at all. CR also stated that Mazda had egg on their face for putting soft bumpers on some early 2000 Proteges....these deformed rather easily when hit and were replaced later in the model year. Anyone have any info on that? I think the GT is worth a look IMHO. I am driving a rental 2001 Elantra sedan right now and am impressed with the ride and the build quality.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Has anyone who owns a P5 had a pretty full load in it yet? One of my main problems with most small sedans/wagons is that you put 2 adults in the back seat and the rear end drags like its overloaded. Always bugs me since if it's a 4 door, whether its a small car or not, it should be designed to handle the weight of 4 adults. If we buy one, it will mostly be for me, my wife and kid, but I still want to be able to take the guys to the football game without dragging my rear the whole way.
  • Options
    Please provide a link as to where I may find pictures and info on the Hyundau Elantra GT hatchback. Thanks.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The only info I know of is here...

http://www.carsdirect.com

Just plug in the make, model, and zip code and go from there.

• Options
    estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Go to the top right of this page, click on "New", and navigate your way to Hyundai Elantra GT. The Elantra GT is at the top of my list right now; I'm waiting for it to become more available. The GT is more reserved-looking than the P5; the P5 is too MTV-y for me.

Erik
  • Options
    pocmonsterpocmonster Member Posts: 15
    i'm sorry, but i really feel as if the elantra GT and mazda P5 are two completely different cars. first of all, there is the price difference, and even if it is just a few thousand dollars, it does have a big impact. although i am a big fan of hyundai's for what they are, and have test driven them, i still feel as if they are a league below mazda in terms of quality and feel. the interiors of hyundais are cheap and plain. they very accurately reflect what the car costs. for a couple thousand more, mazda adds in little details that truly create a different atmosphere. secondly, the styling of the two cars just do not compare. "esto" is absolutely right; the hyundai is significantly more reserved, but i also feel that it is a very dated design. the sedan is fine, but the wagon's back end just looks odd. in fact, the profile of the car looks like a european-spec toyota corona hatchback from a couple of years back. although the GT does not look like most cars on the road, it does not create as big of an impact as the P5. Mazda's design is a lot sharper and more stunning, where as the GT will soon become just another car in the parking lot. the GT just does not have much of an identity. plus, it does not have any real hardware upgrades to guarantee any improved sportiness. so well, like "mpgman" said, the hyundai is not in mazda's league. just my two cents...
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    I was waiting patiently. Very reminiscent of the "A Mustang is a bad car, Protege 5 is a good car" argument we had a while back. It's cool to like a certain car, but why do you have to bash every car someone comes up with as an alternative?

Now chant it with me...
    4 legs good, 2 legs bad
    4 legs good, 2 legs bad
    4 legs good, 2 legs bad
  • Options
    When someone shops around and determines what kind of car they want to drive, they will defend their choice. I don't think it's unreasonable for a person to like one car over another and a fair and respectful opinion is welcome anywhere. However, when someone comes in just to bash the board, they themselves will be bashed. I think this is completely fair. If you care to state your opinion of the P5, please go right ahead. However, if you absolutely have no interest in the P5 or hatchbacks/wagons in general, why should anyone care what you have to say?

• Options
    I fail to see how pocmonster's assesment of the Elantra GT (post#638) is a "bash." I thought it was a perfectly reasonable comparison, from his opinion, of a car that wants to compete directly with the Pro5.

For referance--> http://www.hyundaiusa.com/byo/elantragt.html

To my eye, the shape is very similar to the Saab 9-3.. not a bad thing. There are also shades of the old Accord hatches.

I agree with pocmonster though that it adds very few actual mechanical improvements over a standard Elantra. I am a big supporter of Hyundai in general, but they still lag behind the Japanese makes in intial quality and overall reliability. this is supported by dat from CR, Intellichoice, JD Powers, etc.

So, in my opinion, if you can afford the extra $1500-$2000 for the Protege or the Pro5, I would do that. It is a big sum though, and THAT is where Hyundai offers an excellent alternative, at a lower price.
  • Options
    Just playing here. :)

I wasn't calling the Elantra post a bash. I was referring to the Mustang incident. My comment to reasonable comparisons includes the Elantra as well as numerous other worthy competitors. Of course, this isn't a vs. forum, not that I care.

• Options
    Nope, in referance to...

#639 of 642  I knew it was coming.... by davidb72  Jun 20, 2001 (06:37 am)

:-)
  • Options
    tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    pocmonster,

I wonder if you have ever seen one of the new Elantras. It is a dated design? I have seen only one or two on the road since they were redesigned in December. There is no Elantra wagon currently, and the Elantra GT is a 5-door hatchback. Its hatchback style is like a Saab 9-3 (i. e. with the rear window extended to the end of the trunk), while the Protege5 is more like a shortened wagon (i. e. a more vertical rear door with a shorter trunk).

I wouldn't make assumptions about either car unless I have driven both (I have driven neither). I have found in the past that sometimes the actual car doesn't match its reputation. Recently, I have driven a cheap feeling Toyota (Echo), and I was rather impressed by the new Hyundai Elantra. The Elantra GT should drive differently than the Elantra GLS since its suspension is more performance oriented.

If you already own a P5, you have a terrific car.

If you are shopping for a P5, what would it hurt to take a look at the Elantra GT before you finalize your decision? I have often been surprised by cars that I didn't think I would like. . . until I drove them (and vice versa).

davidb72,

The comparison between the Protege5 and the Mustang was inappropriate because they are completely different cars (5-door hatch vs. 2-door coupe). At least the comparison with the Protege5 and the Elantra GT is between 2 performance-oriented 5-door hatchbacks.

Tom
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    I like the Protege 5, I own a Miata. I can't stand when people are so close minded. Good luck on choosing a car that's "right" for you, but if someone mentions an alternative don't dismiss it so quickly, what may not be right for you may be just the ticket for them.
  • Options
    chiangjchiangj Member Posts: 17
    The invoice price for a 2001 Protege ES with GT and auto is $20600 in one of the dealer that I deal with in Toronto.
  • Options
    raduga750raduga750 Member Posts: 13
    I have test driven both cars. The Protege5 has better rear visibility - the slope of the Elantra GT's rear window is at a steep angle. The Mazda handles better (I think), while the Elantra has a more comfortable ride and a more refined interior. The true hatchback design of the Mazda makes it easier to put more things in it, although in terms of cubic feet, the Elantra actually comes out ahead (it's 7 inches longer). It's about 28 cubic feet for the Elantra GT vrs about 20 cubic feet for the Protege5, with seats down.

I have called several mechanics, and have gotten varying opinions about Hyundais. One said the powertrain is made by Mitsubishi and that Hyundais now are reliable, while two others recommended against them. Mazda, on the other hand, has a good reputation (and I can attest to this, having owned a 323 for many years).

So, it's a tradeoff -- the Hyundai is significantly cheaper and dealers are likely to negotiate, whereas the Protege5 is being sold in a seller's market. The Protege5 IMHO has unnecessary sporty features tacked on and is being sold at a premium (why is it almost $1,000 more than the Protege ES?). At the same time, it likely will hold a better resale value, be more fun to drive, and more practical too. The upcoming Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix look like they also will be marketed the same way and be overpriced, so it's probably no use waiting for them...
  • Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    I would take a little issue with the following:

"...i still feel as if they are a league below mazda in terms of quality and feel. the interiors of hyundais are cheap and plain."

Cheap and plain? Some people have complained that one cannot buy an Elantra GT WITHOUT a leather interior. I understand the complaint but how that makes an Elantra GT "cheaper", I do not understand. Is leather even an option on the Protege5? This is not a rhetorical question. I went to Mazda's website and did not see the option. Did I miss it?

Also keep in mind that side airbags are not an option on any Elantra. They are standard. I own a 2000 Elantra and the switchgear is very good. As good as any Japansese make.

Some people do not like the GT's VDO VW-like purple lighting, fair enough but cheap it does not make the GT. IMHO, it is something that makes the GT stand out.

Please do not in anyway take this as me bashing the Protege5. No way. I am considering the Mazda, I have seen it and think it is a very nice looking automobile. My holdup is: Is the Protege5 worth nearly 2 grand more than the Hyundai GT with similar options?

According to Carsdirect for the NJ area
    Mazda auto w/abs and sunroof would go for: 18,337.

Elantra GT gives you leather, keyless entry, power everything (except seats), power moonroof, ABS, and leather interior for 16,269.

That is my problem.
  • Options
    I'm glad we're discussing this subject, it is interesting. The Elantra GT is such a direct competitor to the Pro5 that to ignore it would be plain silly. :-)

I intend to drive one before I buy anyway. I'm also waiting on the new Sentra SE (170hp). I want a bone stock Pro5, no extras, so the price differential from GT to Pro5 is pretty slim. I also much prefer the look of the Pro5, but that is subjective. The added luxuries of the GT are nice, but not necessary to me.
  • Options
    hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    resale value of the Mazda vs the Hyundai?

I also will be in the market for a sporty econo box (?) sometime next year. So far I would consider a Golf 2.0L or a loaded Civic EX. Now the P5 drops right in between (I think.) I want as much fun as I can get for ~$16-18k, but decent mileage and build quality.

What do you think?
This discussion has been closed.