Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick La Crosse Steering

Comments

• I had posted about the steering noises in my new Lacrosse, General Motors finally posted a bulletin on the problem, my dealer called for me to bring my car in next week to replace the intermeadiate sateering shaft and the steering gear box, after all this denial from GM, they are finally going to repair my car,with pressure from an outside source
  • I have read the previous posts and a couple refer to "grinding" noises when turning the steering wheel, especially when first starting up and attempting a moderate (not a sharp) turn. After driving 5 minutes or less, the problem is no longer present. I have had this problem since Day One, however, it has not gotten any worse. My questions are: is there a mechanical fix for this? Nothing to worry about? Thanks.
  • I had the intermediate steering shaft replaced twice on my 2006 LaCrosse. The noise I heard was more "clunking" as I turned the corner, more noticable when pulling away from a stop. If it is this shaft, it will eventually make more noise but it is not going to break, just doesn't sound good. This was fixed for me under a recall warranty and I have not had any problem since. Hope you get your fixed as well.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,064
    lacrossesoaked,
    Can you please email me with your VIN and current mileage? Thanks!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Posts: 80
    edited January 2011
    Hi Christina,

I just finished emailing the requested info to your email as listed on your profile. If you didn't receive it, please post again.
    Thanks for your interest.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,072
    May I suggest that you edit the previous post if you read this in 30 minutes of posting time to remove your email address. It may get picked up by the bots on the net and sold or abused.

Even the instructions for Post a Message try to remind us not to post our address.
  • THANKS! Just did as you suggested.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,072
    Just to make the point: I can search for my username and edmunds.com on Google, and I come up with posts from the past, but not that distant, March 2010 for one.

Using your user name and just Edmunds, I get a post from January 22 has been saved for posterity by Google.

With sites like Spokeo who make a business of information, personal privacy is minimized. Spokeo lets people search for usernames, email addresses, as well as names to find information. Spokeo then tries to sell it to the person searching for it. But once you've learned a little on Spokeo, it's easy to garner more directly through the net without paying them.

So the hosts are trying to help us by advising not to put emails into the posts.
  • Hi Chistina (GM Customer Service),
    I received an email from this forum asking for my VIN# and mileage. I think from looking at the recent posts that the person going by lacrossesoaked has answered. I don't think you want mine since it has been fixed over 2 years ago and more than 10,000 miles ago. I think it had around 40K when the problem started.
    Buick_guy,
    Thank You and I apologize for the confusion. I’m glad your issues have been resolved. Have a great weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • As I posted earlier..."".....This condition started almost immediately after I bought the car new.
    I was told eventually it would go away but it has got worse.
    My dealer recently told me this is just an annoyance and is not dangerous and if they replaved it the fix may not work anyway.
    I called GM and they said since the car just went out of warranty I would have to pay for the new I Shaft if I choose to get it."

I got one and had to pay for it.....The original dealer went out of business--I explained this all to the Buick people on the phone but was basically told there was nothing that could be done....Now they send me bargain ads all the time about purchasing a new Buick....I will never purchase another GM car after the way I was lied to and treated !!
    They knew this problem existed BEFORE they sold me the car and they didn't treat me fair.
  • msumsu Posts: 2
    I recently purchase the 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXL brand new had it only for 5 months over all it is a wonderful vehicle, luxury I love it! However, recently I noticed a "grinding noise" in the Steering when I turn slightly or backing out of a parking space in reverse of turning into a parking space in drive. I took it to thedealership after going through GM. The Dealership stated that they will replace the entire front sterring of the vehicle since it is under warranty. My concern is that will I have anymore problems with steering once it been replace and out of warranty then it out of my pocket. Until it is replace as of now waiting on parts to arrive. I do not feel safe driving the car. The Dearlership guarntee that it is safe to drive. I prefer a brand new Lacrosse since this one have a major defect in the steering. Have anyone else had this similar problem?
  • msumsu Posts: 2
    Im having the same problem with my 2010 NEW LACROSSE
  • It is amazing they are still having this problem.

They made me pay for this fix on my 2005 LaCrosse so I will never buy from them again.....6 years later they are still building cars with the same problem !!
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    good luck with fix. Will you please let us know the Bulletin # if they fix yuour Buick under a warranty or recal or Technical Service Bulletin #. We had a Pontiac that made "noises" but was never diagnosed correctly or fixed. Needless to say it is no longer in the fleet. We do have a new lacrosse so you input iand experience has great vlaue to us.
    Thanks
  • I had mine done about a month ago. No problems and actually feels better!
  • I had the same problem with my Lacrosse,took it to 2 different dealers for a fix, both told me GM was working on a fix for the problem, they assured me it was safe to drive thecar, I finally brought a Lemon Law suit against GM, my problem got fixed, new steering shaft and new steering gear
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    I'm begining to think GM spends an astronomical amount fixing build problems that should never have existed.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    I agree with that comment. Beancounters used to advise it is cheaper to save a nickel on 100% of the output than to spend $800 repairing 1% of cars under warranty or other complaint mechanism. The rise of Consumer's, JD Power and the NHTSB have made that approach much more expensive. I feel they are gradually leaving that business model, since the cars are definately much more dependable now than in the past and offer greater value all in all. Engineering is catching up with known weaknesses such as the joint development of the current 6-speed AT in GM, Ford and others. Engines with little planned maintenance for 100,000 miles is another big step. Cars are tremendously safer now- check the great insurance rating on the new (2010/2011) Lacrosse.
  • Thanks to all for posting this ongoing problem with the steering. My 2006 LaCrosse had the issue and after having the intermediate shaft replaced twice, it has been OK. I am about to purchase a 2010 Buick, but since GM has not fixed this, I will look for a better car, most likely not GM.
  • The dealership did fix my problem and told me GM had fixes for the Lacrosses, mine is running superb and now I have no compliants,You may want to contact Lemon Law ,that's who was instrumental in getting my problem resolved,they also take cases on used cars.
    msu,
    I understand your concerns. I would recommend continuing working with the dealer. They are the most knowledgeable about the concerns with your vehicle. I would trust they would not let you leave with the vehicle if it was unsafe. Your concern with this, while under warranty, will be documented at the dealer. Also parts and labor have a warranty as well incase you contained to face issues. I would definitely recommend asking your dealer about this and speaking on your concerns with them. If you have any questions feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • SAME ISSUE....power steering pump replaced 2 times and still same problem!
  • MSU - The dealer should replace the intermediate steering column even after your warranty expires. The Dealer here in Toledo, OH stated this has been a recall item to replace because off poor design with lack of lubrication. the new design is sealed so it's permanently lubed. Mine was replaced Twice, but I wonder if they just didn't add lube the first time. Now it's been several years and no noise. It's just an annoiance, not a safety issue. the bad part is: GM has known about this problem for the past 6 years and still have not fixed it. They are still building cars today with the inferior design because it's cheaper to fix just those that complain than use the more costly part in new cars. That's one of the reasons I didn't buy another one. Good Luck! Buick Guy switched to Ford Taurus - nice car for 2011.
  • Tragster,

I'm sorry to hear that your power steering pump concern has not been resolved after two attempted fixes. Have you worked with Customer Assistance already in addressing this? If we can set up a customer assistance case for you, which are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, please email us more information (include your name and contact information, your involved dealership and an account of your visits there for these concerns (if applicable), and the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have the same issue and am wondering if you have any details around the "recall warranty" you reference. I am unable to find where there was ever a recall for this intermidiate shaft defect. Do you have a recall# or other reference?

Thanks
  • I checked my paperwork from the Buick dealer. No warranty number is listed, but it does say the word warranty with zero cost. I do not see a way to attach a copy of it or it does not allow pasting the image here. If I had your email, I could send you a copy that shows the shaft was replaced under warranty.
    Good Luck!">
  • Thanks

Pls send it to;

stangman50@comcast.net

I'll see if the local dealer will be able to work with that info.
  • We are able to check into your vehicle's information to see if there are any recalls associated to your VIN if you were to email us the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    Has this been traced to a single component or is it a lot of different things?
    Being a bit mechanical, I would suspect certain areas. Do remember that sound is conducted through metal parts very well and a luxury vehicle would use devices to isolate noise from the passenger compartment. So does the sound seem to be coming in from the steering column or is it more like an outside noise?
    It does sound like it might be coming from a moveable joint such as upper strut bearing, ball joint, etc.