Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick La Crosse Steering

Comments

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    ".....This condition started almost immediately after I bought the car new.
    I was told eventually it would go away but it has got worse.
    My dealer recently told me this is just an annoyance and is not dangerous and if they replaved it the fix may not work anyway.
    I called GM and they said since the car just went out of warranty I would have to pay for the new I Shaft if I choose to get it."

If you complained about the problem (please tell me you have it documented) when the car was new, and nothing was done, then it is still under warranty for that particular problem. Tell GM you have a copy of the repair from the dealer, (Presumably it would be dated 2005 or 2006, when you first reported it) and you want to fax it to them. Or, take the work order to a different dealer and explain your situation to them. I hope this helps.
  • Re remote - try keylessride.com. I got a new remote (and programmed it within 5 minutes) for my son's Chevy Blazer - $25. Refurbished ones are available for less. I have not looked at the site for a new remote with remote start, but they have to be cheaper than a dealer.
  • rhoertrhoert Posts: 1
    My 2006 Buick LaCrosse (12k mi.) is developing a "clunking" sound when the wheel is turned. My previous 2 cars a 00 and 03 chev. Impala had similar sounds @ this mileage and were remedied by replacing /greasing the (I think) sector shaft. Is it posible that GM has'nt fixed this problem in 6 years and it still exists?
  • It is most likely the Intermediate Shaft and has to be REPLACED not greased.
    I ran into this problem and got the run around until the car was out of warranty and had to pay to have it replaced and therefore I will never buy another GM car again.This has been a problem for a long time and GM never addressed it.
  • rhinncrhinnc Posts: 66
    My 1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4 had this issue ever since I bought it new. I am on my 4th one now (GM has paid for them all) My truck has 78k miles on it.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    >got the run around until the car was out of warranty

Show them the papers or have them look up the service records while in-warranty for your complaints about the steering shaft.

If worse comes to worse, have an independent get the updated shaft that's now available and put it in for you OR buy it for about $100 and put it in yourself. I'd rank it a 4.5 out of 5 on the shadetree skillset level, however.

This message has been approved.

• I must have been fortunate to have an honest dealer. They knew exactly what the clunking noise was. The original design did Not have a permanetly lubricated shaft and once it became dry, the noise starts. Mine was replace with the upgraded design (sealed unit) and has been quite ever since. Good Luck!!
  • How to I find/check the power steering fluid?
  • If you don't have an owner's manual, you can look at the manual for the 2007 LaCrosse, same procedure for the 2006 :

http://origin-buick-prod-iad.pnangis.gm.com/manuals/

power steering info on pages 378-379
  • dell46dell46 Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 LaCrosse with less than 17000 miles. The steering noise was more pronounced on a right turn than on a left turn . I researched the NHTSA site and found many more complaints about this problem and also the service bulletin 010232001. I took this info to my dealer and right away he knew of the problem and said make an appointment to bring it in and verify that it was the intermediate steering shaft that was bad. He said with my mileage he would have no trouble taking care of it under warranty, which he did. They replaced the shaft. This is a very good Buick dealer who has always treated me fairly. I went home as another satisfied customer.
  • I had posted about the steering noises in my new Lacrosse, General Motors finally posted a bulletin on the problem, my dealer called for me to bring my car in next week to replace the intermeadiate sateering shaft and the steering gear box, after all this denial from GM, they are finally going to repair my car,with pressure from an outside source
  • I have read the previous posts and a couple refer to "grinding" noises when turning the steering wheel, especially when first starting up and attempting a moderate (not a sharp) turn. After driving 5 minutes or less, the problem is no longer present. I have had this problem since Day One, however, it has not gotten any worse. My questions are: is there a mechanical fix for this? Nothing to worry about? Thanks.
  • I had the intermediate steering shaft replaced twice on my 2006 LaCrosse. The noise I heard was more "clunking" as I turned the corner, more noticable when pulling away from a stop. If it is this shaft, it will eventually make more noise but it is not going to break, just doesn't sound good. This was fixed for me under a recall warranty and I have not had any problem since. Hope you get your fixed as well.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    lacrossesoaked,
    Can you please email me with your VIN and current mileage? Thanks!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Posts: 80
    edited January 2011
    Hi Christina,

I just finished emailing the requested info to your email as listed on your profile. If you didn't receive it, please post again.
    Thanks for your interest.
    May I suggest that you edit the previous post if you read this in 30 minutes of posting time to remove your email address. It may get picked up by the bots on the net and sold or abused.

Even the instructions for Post a Message try to remind us not to post our address.

• THANKS! Just did as you suggested.
    Just to make the point: I can search for my username and edmunds.com on Google, and I come up with posts from the past, but not that distant, March 2010 for one.

Using your user name and just Edmunds, I get a post from January 22 has been saved for posterity by Google.

With sites like Spokeo who make a business of information, personal privacy is minimized. Spokeo lets people search for usernames, email addresses, as well as names to find information. Spokeo then tries to sell it to the person searching for it. But once you've learned a little on Spokeo, it's easy to garner more directly through the net without paying them.

So the hosts are trying to help us by advising not to put emails into the posts.

• Hi Chistina (GM Customer Service),
    I received an email from this forum asking for my VIN# and mileage. I think from looking at the recent posts that the person going by lacrossesoaked has answered. I don't think you want mine since it has been fixed over 2 years ago and more than 10,000 miles ago. I think it had around 40K when the problem started.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    Buick_guy,
    Thank You and I apologize for the confusion. I’m glad your issues have been resolved. Have a great weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service