Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Maintenance and Repair

Here is the new place to discuss your VW Beetle problems. Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
Host
Hatchbacks Message Board

Comments

• mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    How does the new beetle make it onto the hatchback town hall board? The last time I looked, only the tiny trunk cover lifted up.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The New Beetle is a hatchback so thus its on the hatchback board. The whole rear glass comes up with the "trunk lid", so that classifies it as a hatchback. Guess you need to look a bit more closely.
  • linzzlinzz Posts: 1
    Does anyone have starting problems with their 2000 beetle?
  • bethd1bethd1 Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any problems w/ the 2001 New Beetle GL?
  • I have a '00 GLS turbo. I love the car, but it makes some strange noises:

1. When I first open the driver's door, I hear the "whirr" of some small electric motor. What is that?

2. Sometimes when I drive, I hear a faint "beep" noise, somewhere in the dash. Any idea what this is?

3. Sometimes when I turn off the car, I hear a brief, high pitched warning sound. Any idea what that is?

4. When I start the car, the blue "engine cold" light comes on. About 20% of the time, within 30 seconds or so, it changes to the read "engine hot" light and the high-pitched beeping sound goes off. Within a few minutes, it either goes back to blue or turns off. Of course the engine can't be too hot; I've just started the car, the temperature around here has consistently been in the 40s or 50s. I assume it's a sensor error. Anyone else have this problem?
  • phkckphkck Posts: 185
    the whirr is the fuel pump.
    beep noise could be from changing volume on the stereo or source (FM to tape or CD)
    the turbos continue to circulate oil after the car is turned off, may be the noise you hear.
    The temp light, mine goes from blue to nothing being lit up.
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    I have a couple of friends with New Beetles one 2000 Turbo, and a 99 2.0. Both have been rock solid dependable, as good as any Honda or Toyota. I have a 2000 Passat that's never had a single warranty issue, VW's really gotten their act together regarding dependability.
  • bluebug7bluebug7 Posts: 1
    I have a new VW New Beetle GLS (gas) and one of the things I noticed is that when I used the Mist feature on the windshield wipers after about 2-3 squirts, the car is filled with this lovely perfumed scent. I need to refill the reservoir now but the Dealership's Service Advisor thought I was nuts until he smelled it too. Does anyone know where I can get this Scented Windshield Washer Fluid?

PS: I bought my New 2001 Techno Blue New Beetle on 3/02/01 & totally avoided the car salesman negotiation hassle by going through AAA's WHEEL-EZ car buying program. With tax & lic. I paid $21,000. Definitely worth it to not do the "let me ask my manager" thing!
  • maggienmaggien Posts: 6
    Drove the GLX 1.8T today and really enjoyed the ride. Did some 360s in a parking lot and it stops on a dime. Q - the turbo is still new - has anyone had probs with it or knows of others that have had probs? Is the turbo covered under the 10 year powertrain?
    Need something really reliable for South Central LA driving. Is this the car?
  • car2nscar2ns Posts: 15
    The 1.8T (turbo) engine has been used in Audis for several years. The technology goes back to the mid/late '80s, I believe. I have no worries about it for the long run. Keep the oil changed, treat the car well (let it cool down the last couple miles after running hard, or sit for a couple minutes after just getting off an expressway, etc.) and it should last a very long time.
  • I have a 2001 CyberGreen GLX 1.8T that I bought in 08/12/00 and its been great ever since no probs what-so-ever! I am very happy with my Beetle.
    Most people from what I heard have problems with the 98 and 99 New Beetles, but I think they worked out alot of the "bugs" in the Beetle for the 2000 and 2001 models. I know alot of 2000 and 2001 New Beetle owners that are very happy with their cars.
    If anyone has any questions about the New Beetle feel free to email me I love to hear from other bug owners or potential bug owners :)

Christine
  • wamowamo Posts: 1
    I apologize up front for the long post, but this could turn fairly serious and I need some help...I took my wife's 2001 New Beetle 2.0L Gasoline, in for its first 5000 mi service. About 25 miles later, the oil drain plug came out draining all the oil. We had the Bug towed in to the dealership. I had assumed it was a technician error but a VW service rep told me that while this was not a common problem, it had happend before. Out of about 1000 "first" oil changes she had processed, she had seen this happen about 4 times. I am sure it has happened to someone else out there and I want to hear about their experience. I am concerned about a number of things, especially concerning long term effects on the motor. I am envisioning a long series of trips to the dealership for more work after this incident, especially if the head is warped and VW does not want to admit it. I have seen other companies (not VW) willing to fix the cheaper symptoms of the problem under warranty to get the car running again, avoiding work on the more expensive "problem" (read:warped head) forcing you to keep bringing the car in for more work. When you complain, the response is "well, it is all under warranty so what is the problem?" Did this happen to you with your VW? How was your experience? Did you have related problems afterwards? If so, how did you get closure (if at all) Tell me about it please!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Could you be a little more specific as to what actually happened to the engine? Did you drive the car until it was completely out of oil or did you catch it before that happened? What alerted you to the fact the drain plug had fallen out? Did the engine overheat? Only after knowing more specifics could anyone tell you whether your engine could have been damaged. Honestly, I have never heard of a drain plug coming out on its own unless the service people are simply not tightening it properly or there is a flaw in the threads of the oil pan. Either way, VW would be responsible for the repairs and it would be difficult for them to go around it. I would demand a completely new engine if any damage occured.
  • bckermitbckermit Posts: 2
    I love my Beetle but it has one serious problem that they can't seem to fix. The beetles engine will turn over but not start. It is as if the beetle stalls one second after starting. The problem is intermittent. They have replaced everything related to the imobilizer, control unit, and some sensors. All the service people at the dealer know me by name since I have been in so often. They are trying but they can't fix it.
    I would appreciate any hints at what is wrong and how to fix it as the warranty is expiring.
  • Could it be as simple as a fuel pump problem? A recent column by those Car Talk guys said that fuel pumps can fail intermittently like you described when they're on the way out.
  • tzretusntzretusn Posts: 5
    We've had our TDI New Beetle since Jan, not one problem (other than a sharp edge on the back side the steering wheel behind the large metal spoke).

Great ride.
  • in response to bckermits problem:it does sort of sound like a fuel delivery system problem,however if it is the fuel filter i would be real curious as to why it would fail already!...you did not state the beetles current mileage...anyhow,i have had no real problems w/my bug(broken overhead compartment latch;dealership fixed free of charge...a squeek on the right side of the vast dashboard in cold weather;haven't really mentioned it to the dealership,i'm afraid that with the large design of the dashboard that,frankly,we may all have a few rattle/squeek problems...we'll see...peace
  • mscholtesmscholtes Posts: 3
    Bckermit, I had something similar happen to my 1994 Ford Probe (do not buy any Probes ever if you're concerned about safety). My manual would start up and continue going if gas was continually given, but it would die whenever put in neutral or stopped, and it was hard to start. After many trips to the dealer, finally the problem was replicated and found to be a vacuum sensor. Apparently, the suction wasn't keeping and that's why it would die. New to posting stuff here, but I thought I'd add my two cents. Good luck.
  • timadamstimadams Posts: 294
    My wife complains about the stereo system in her 2000 Beetle, and wants new speakers. It doesn't sound that good to me, but part of the problem is the high noise level (engine noise, mostly) when driving the Beetle. Has anyone replaced the stock speakers in a New Beetle? Any suggestions?

The guy at Circuit City said they generally don't replace speakers in Volkswagons, as VW uses a diffferent impedence than most car and stereo makers. He sounded like he knows quite a bit about car stereos, but I've never heard of this before.
  • kjclowkjclow Posts: 29
    I have just passed my frist year with my nb. I put 13,000 miles on it and averaged 41 mpg with the TDI and a 5 speed. Most of the driving is city. Just a few minor things that the dealer took care of right away. Love the way it rides and handles.