Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





2014 Volkswagen GTI Lease Questions

Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
edited February 1 in Volkswagen
Welcome to the Edmunds discussion dedicated to 2014 Volkswagen GTI leasing questions.

Here you can find and discuss all the latest lease details for the 2014 GTI, including cap costs, money factors, residual values, acquisition fees, etc. Please post any leasing questions you have or any details you’d like to share about your own lease deals.

You can also research local dealer inventory and pricing, reviews, features, and specifications, on our 2014 Volkswagen GTI page.

To see all forums discussions about the Volkswagen GTI, including earlier model years, please visit our list of Volkswagen GTI discussions.

Navigation tips: To see the most recent information and activity, make sure to visit the latest post, which may be a few pages ahead. Click the pages numbers just below to go to a new page in the discussion -- or search the entire discussion by clicking the magnifying glass icon and entering keywords.

We also invite you to share your purchase experience on Edmunds Facebook page, Share Your Story.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

«1

Comments

  • Hi kyfdx,

    Could you please run the numbers for me on a 2014 GTI Driver's for 36m/12k & 36m/15k? Westchester County, NY.

    Thanks!
    -S
  • .0014 MF and 55% residual on Sign then Drive leases for 36mo, 15K/yr
    Add 2% for 12K/yr lease

    regards,
    kyfdx

    Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • kkovalikkovali Posts: 2
    edited January 21

    Hello, I've just sorted out a lease deal with my local dealer for a 2014 Drivers Edition GTI, I haven't taken it yet. Is it a good deal?

    MSRP: $31,885 Negotiated price: $30,450 Total price with tax and fees: $32,223

    With $3000 down, $365 per month for 36mo 12k/yr lease or $355 for 10k/yr. (all including tax)

    Residual is something like 55%.

    Thanks.

  • kkovalikkovali Posts: 2

    I did the deal. The numbers I provided are incorrect though.

    It's actually $30,093 negotiated.

    $3k down, $364 per month 36mo 12k/yr lease.

  • Hi kyfdx,

    Can you please let me know the current MF and residual for a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and if you can a 2013 for GTI w/ conv. (I've seen these $2K below MSRP) - The lease would be for 36mo, 12K/yr. San Diego CA

  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

    @cambiamento said: Hi kyfdx,

    Can you please let me know the current MF and residual for a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and if you can a 2013 for GTI w/ conv. (I've seen these $2K below MSRP) - The lease would be for 36mo, 12K/yr. San Diego CA

    .00028 MF and 55% residual for 36mo, 12K/yr. - 2014

    .00161 MF and 49% on the 2013 model...

    Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • iron502iron502 Posts: 1
    edited February 25

    Hi,

    I need some advice please. I'm looking to lease a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and I am 2 payments away from turning in my 2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX lease. Btw, I'm in Los Angeles.

    Now for the bad news. I'm 12,000 over my mileage allowance at .15c/mile. Obviously it was a bad time to lease it because I got transferred to a different office where I had to commute, which is why I went over. I'm not commuting anymore and would run about 9,000 miles/year now and I'm able to write off some of the payments for my business.

    After doing research on my lease, I figured out I paid way too much and now have a better idea about leasing. But I'm still trying to figure out the best way to approach turning in/trading my Accord for the GTI because of the mileage overage and looking at a $1,800 bill from Honda Financial. Not sure what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

    @iron502 said: Hi,

    I need some advice please. I'm looking to lease a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and I am 2 payments away from turning in my 2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX lease. Btw, I'm in Los Angeles.

    Now for the bad news. I'm 12,000 over my mileage allowance at .15c/mile. Obviously it was a bad time to lease it because I got transferred to a different office where I had to commute, which is why I went over. I'm not commuting anymore and would run about 9,000 miles/year now and I'm able to write off some of the payments for my business.

    After doing research on my lease, I figured out I paid way too much and now have a better idea about leasing. But I'm still trying to figure out the best way to approach turning in/trading my Accord for the GTI because of the mileage overage and looking at a $1,800 bill from Honda Financial. Not sure what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    If you have a CarMax near you, ask them for a quote to buy your car. If their offer is closer than $1800 to your payoff, sell them the car, and you are out cheaper than turning it in... Otherwise, just bite the bullet and pay the mileage charges at turn-in.

    This really has nothing to do with leasing another vehicle.

    Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • throbthrob Posts: 4

    Checking on the current deal I have sitting... 2014 GTI Driver's Ed MSRP : 32,382 Sales price : 29,173 Res : 53% (15k miles/year) mf : .00028 Drive off : $417.50 Monthly : $417.50 (incl tax) Thanks for any help/info.

  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

    @throb said: Checking on the current deal I have sitting... 2014 GTI Driver's Ed MSRP : 32,382 Sales price : 29,173 Res : 53% (15k miles/year) mf : .00028 Drive off : $417.50 Monthly : $417.50 (incl tax) Thanks for any help/info.

    That's the correct money factor and residual.. Since your drive off is the same as the 1st payment, it looks like you rolled everything into the lease payment (acq.fee, tax, etc.). Do you know what your net CAP cost and your tax rate?

    Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • throbthrob Posts: 4

    Sales tax is 9% and for the cap cost I am not sure as I am sure it will be more than the 29173 since the fees are tacked on top of that.

  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

    @throb said: Sales tax is 9% and for the cap cost I am not sure as I am sure it will be more than the 29173 since the fees are tacked on top of that.

    Then, pre-tax payment is about $383/mo. With just the selling price, I get $346/mo. That leaves about $1300 for acq.fee, title/registration, etc.. If that sounds about right for where you live, it looks like a good deal.

    Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • throbthrob Posts: 4

    @kyfdx@Edmunds said: Then, pre-tax payment is about $383/mo. With just the selling price, I get $346/mo. That leaves about $1300 for acq.fee, title/registration, etc.. If that sounds about right for where you live, it looks like a good deal.

    That sounds about right. I have had a few dealers (4!) tell me on the phone they can't match the deal and one even told me he'd buy the car himself at that price. After that, I started to figure I was basically at the bottom.

    It would be interesting to know the leasing formulas so I could have a spreadsheet that did all the math so I could bid appropriately.

    I am sure none of that info is available since it would give too much edge to the consumer.

    Rob

  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

    @throb said: Rob

    The calculation is actually pretty easy.. Here is a post that explains it, pretty well.

    http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/12602/general/x/how-to-calculate-monthly-lease-payments

    My ten-year old built my first spreadsheet to calculate payments, so it can't be that hard.. ;)

    Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • paul_mccpaul_mcc Posts: 8

    Hi, had a couple of questions I'd appreciate help with.

    First, I did the lease calculation using the dealer provided price/residual/MF, and the dealers monthly payments came in $17 a month higher than mine. Dealer said it was because of additional "fees" associated with leasing and that most people like myself don't know how to really calculate a lease. Is this normal? Any fees I'm not accounting for beyond depreciation and cost of lending?

    Also, dealer seems pretty set on a .00099 MF. My credit shouldn't be an issue, and this seems high based on what others around here are getting. Is this a pretty bad rate?

    Any assistance is appreciated.

    Thanks

  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

    @paul_mcc said: Hi, had a couple of questions I'd appreciate help with.

    First, I did the lease calculation using the dealer provided price/residual/MF, and the dealers monthly payments came in $17 a month higher than mine. Dealer said it was because of additional "fees" associated with leasing and that most people like myself don't know how to really calculate a lease. Is this normal? Any fees I'm not accounting for beyond depreciation and cost of lending?

    Also, dealer seems pretty set on a .00099 MF. My credit shouldn't be an issue, and this seems high based on what others around here are getting. Is this a pretty bad rate?

    Any assistance is appreciated.

    Thanks

    The acquisition fee is $625. The base money factor for a 36 month lease is .00027. They can mark up the MF by as much as .00125 for extra profit, or they can add .00062, to waive the acquisition fee. (which you don't want to do.. cheaper to add the fee).

    The lease calculation is really simple math, if they give you all the numbers... Ask the dealer for the NET CAP cost. If it's different than the "dealer provided price", then ask them what makes up the difference. Then, ask them if they are marking up the money factor for extra profit, as you know the base rate is .00027 for 36 months. that rate markup adds about $900 to your total cost, so it's not trivial.

    The fact is: Most dealers don't know how to calculate a lease, they only know how to punch the numbers into a computer. You don't need a degree in applied mathematics to calculate a lease. Mutiplication, addition, subtraction and division is all it takes.

    Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

    If you post your numbers here, we'll do a calculation.

    Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • paul_mccpaul_mcc Posts: 8

    Thanks for your help and the quick response. The numbers they gave me are:

    Sale price: 23988 MF: .00099 Residual: 14730.90

    My payment calculation came out to be $295, while they quoted $312 (owing to the "fees").

    Thanks, Paul

  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

    @paul_mcc said: Thanks for your help and the quick response. The numbers they gave me are:

    Sale price: 23988 MF: .00099 Residual: 14730.90

    My payment calculation came out to be $295, while they quoted $312 (owing to the "fees").

    Thanks, Paul

    Do you have the MSRP? Can't calculate a lease without it..

    Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • paul_mccpaul_mcc Posts: 8

    Sorry about that. MSRP = $27015.00 (including destination of $820)

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.