Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Enclave engine won't shut off. Parking brake light comes on when not, leak near glove box.

mrsmathmrsmath Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Buick

I bought my new Enclave brand new and with the exception of an issue with the air conditioner a year ago have been a happy, happy customer. About a month and a half ago when there was a heavy rain storm I noticed that every time I'd stop to go into a store and reenter my car the parking brake light would light up and I'd receive a screeching beep, beep, beep. In order to correct it, I'd push down on the parking break, release it and go on. Next store the same thing. Once I was home and drove the car the next day. There was no problem at all. I noticed a mildewy aroma in the car with in the next few days, but figured it was due to me getting in and out in the rain. Fast forward a month and there is another heavy rain storm. I'm driving on the highway and the screeching beep, beep, beep goes off again with the parking brake light coming on. It would come off if I left the road, put the car in park, and reset and released the brake. It was very annoying, and since I was near the dealer, I took it in. They hooked it up and could find nothing wrong with it on the computer. Now today 1 1/2 weeks later there was another heavy rain. When I arrived at my destination, I put the car in park, turned it off, took out the key, and the car kept running. When I tried to leave the car again I'm hit with a beep, beep, beep...this time with no parking brake light but the little yellow engine light was on. When I tried to drive home, I lost power and limped at around 30-40 mph but eventually the engine kicked in. As I was almost home, I noticed water streaming out near the glove box. Anyway, I've rambled enough. I called the dealer, but of course service is closed today. I'm hoping that with the window rolled down and the hood up that the car will dry out and I'll be able to drive it...although when I just started it up a few hours later, it still would not shut off but ran for about 5 minutes before it acted like it was out of gas and finally shook until it stopped. Oh, and I almost forgot. The little yellow light is still on even when the car is off, and there is a high piercing noise. Help!

Comments

• Options
    mrsmathmrsmath Member Posts: 2

p.s. It is a 2011 Enclave

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422

It seems like you have electrical issues that could all be traced to water intrusion.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sorenseksorensek Member Posts: 1
    If have the exact same issue with my 2010 Buick Enclave. The brake light problem has been sporadically occurring for the last year and I have also had an intermittent problem with the vehicle not starting (the dealer could not find an issue). Today I tried starting the vehicle and it barely turned over, then after driving it for 15 minutes, I tried to shut it off and it wouldn't turn off. I just heard from the dealership and it will cost $650 to replace the fuse box wiring assembly as it has water damage. The dealer claims this problem is due to an aftermarket windshield that was improperly installed. This is hard for me to believe as the windshield was only installed in June of this year and I have had the starting and brake light issues for the past 1.5 years.
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    sorensek said:

If have the exact same issue with my 2010 Buick Enclave. The brake light problem has been sporadically occurring for the last year and I have also had an intermittent problem with the vehicle not starting (the dealer could not find an issue). Today I tried starting the vehicle and it barely turned over, then after driving it for 15 minutes, I tried to shut it off and it wouldn't turn off. I just heard from the dealership and it will cost $650 to replace the fuse box wiring assembly as it has water damage. The dealer claims this problem is due to an aftermarket windshield that was improperly installed. This is hard for me to believe as the windshield was only installed in June of this year and I have had the starting and brake light issues for the past 1.5 years.

We certainly understand your frustration, sorensek, and we're sorry to learn you're faced with replacing the fuse box wiring assembly. Were you thinking of taking your vehicle to another dealership for a second opinion? If this is something that interests you we will gladly connect you with a team in your area that can assist. Send us a private message with your VIN, mileage and full contact information if interested.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care