Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Are you happy with Tacoma?

Comments

• Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Deltoid,
    They make special seat cushions that are suppose to give more support to your lower back.
  • Options
    wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    Check out the performance products catalog. I think they have aftermarket seats. I think there is a link on the edmunds site somewhere.

I agree that poor pavement can bounce the Tacoma around a bit, but the V6 cannont be beat anybody, and it rules the off road........

-wsn
  • Options
    deltoid1deltoid1 Member Posts: 26
    thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

A friend of mine just bought a Prerunner with the buckets and console option. I wish I had done the same.
  • Options
    adamf1adamf1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a used 99 prerunner at a dealership. It has 26,000 miles, is a four cylinder, extracab with cruise and bedliner. Black. What should I pay? 15K too much/too little? Does current discounts on new prerunners help me at all?

Thanks.
  • Options
    mpazosmpazos Member Posts: 42
    Could somebody explain to me what 4wdemand is?
    I'm am looking for a compact pickup I can flat-tow(all 4 wheels on the ground) behind an RV, so manual locking hubs and manual shifting transfer case are a must. Can a Tacoma be flat-towed safely?
  • Options
    4WDemand is basically shift on the fly/electric hubs. I have a 98 Tacoma XCab V6 with Man. Hubs, and it requires you lock the hubs and shift a lever. Not sure about flat-towing....

-wsn
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I now know that I don't want 4wdemand. The reason I was asking is because 4wdemand is required with the rear locking diff?
    It shows the big 3 aren't the only companies with packaging quirks.
  • Options
    swwwjwswwwjw Member Posts: 2
    I just bought up my 4x4 Takoma 2.7 extended cab last week and love it. I got it with the alloy wheels and big tires (P265/75/R15 Goodyears). I like the look with the big tires. The question I have is, how will the tires handle in the winter driving on snowy roads? I'm worried that the tires might tend to slide around more being so wide. I would rather NOT go to narrower tires, but if I do could they be mounted on the same Alloy wheels (j15x7jj) that came with the truck? I've had some people tell me that the big tires handle great on snowy roads and others tell me that they don't.
  • Options
    kirbytkirbyt Member Posts: 39
    Your dealer or tire store could recommend a tire to fit those rims. I would recommend narrower tires for snow time and studded if legal in your state! You need weight in the back end to keep better traction on the slick stuff. Big tires will float on snow more than the skinny tires and that's good and bad. For running in the mountains and 4x4 country floating was great, but not when going around curves and trying to stop in traffic.

Great 4x4 so hope you enjoy it for a long time.
  • Options
    mpazos

The Toyota dealership i dealt with let me order my truck as i wanted it, and was able to overcome the certain things aren't/are available barrier. Like at the time big wheels and ABS was unavailable, but i got it with on my truck, because i ordered it. Ask your dealer...

swwwjw

The 265's do alright in the snow. I got the Firestones on my 98, but i imagine there similar to the Goodyears. I have heard BF Gooodrich A/T ko's are great all around tires. One of the guys in the Ranger room swears by them. Also if you have the Toyota bedlinner, get some 2x6's cut the place in the slots (68 or 69 inches) and place weight in between them/over the axle, in winter. Works pretty good. I use rocksalt bags for weight. Works well if you need to melt stuff or need traction, if you do get in a snowy situation...

-wsn
  • Options
    mmodinemmodine Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new Tacoma outfitted the same as the test vehicle described in your review for $22,250. At this price I think it is much better than the Ford you glowed over still running well after a whole 10,000 miles....give it another month. My last Toyota truck - '89 - has 125k miles and is going to my daughter to test if she really wants a 4wd. It still runs like new.
  • Options
    axranaaxrana Member Posts: 16
    Could someone please explain to me the advantages of manual locking hubs? I thought that you would prefer the 4WDemand. I know how that works, but I am not entirely sure how the manuals work. I know that you need to get out and twist the hubs to lock them. After that, why do you need to shift the lever? Can it be driven without shifting AFTER locking the hubs?

Also, what are the advantages of them OVER the auto locking hubs? Which would you suggest to someone who will use the truck as a daily driver, but go camping/hiking often. I will also do some more serious offroading later.

Thanks for your info in advance.
  • Options
    With the manual hubs in the 'free' or unlocked position, the wheels turn freely on the spindles like on a 2-wheel drive. Thus, nothing in the front axle is turning, which helps reduce front drive train wear and increase fuel economy. Once the hubs are put in the lock(turn the hub manually) position, the hubs are now locked to the axle shafts in the front axle housing. You are still in 2-wheel drive because the transfer case is still in '2 high'. The truck can be driven in this mode with no harm, but you are now turning the front axle/diff gears so there is more resistance. When you shift the transfer case to '4 high' or '4 low' the transfer case is now directing power to both the rear and front drive shaft, thus 4-wheel drive(if you have locking or limited slip diffs). I prefer manually locking hubs because of their design simplicity and they are a inherently stronger design. They also let you use the truck in '2 low' by shifting the transfer case to '4 low' and leaving the front hubs unlocked. This is only to be used for short distances, like a boat ramp, and is useful if you want to use low range on a paved surface. Some auto locking hubs also require the driver to back up after putting the transfer case back in 2 wheel drive in order to unlock the hubs. Auto locking hubs work by spring pressure in the hub. When you put the transfer case in 4 wheel drive, the front drive shaft turns the front axle, which meshes with the hubs ,thus turning the wheel. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mpazos pretty much said it all. I will add that Auto Hubs will break easier (Not as strong) and will cost alot to fix.........

-wsn
  • Options
    This was a great explanation. I now understand how they work. Also, I now know that I do not want the Auto Hubs. I think (if I was to get a truck) I would want the Tacoma 4X4 V6 5-Speed extended cab, with the big tires and maybe the SR5 package, but not the TRD package. I would add the shocks later. What would you guys suggest? I am going to get this and KEEP it until it or I die. Hopefully, it will be the truck - but from what I read, are last a long time. Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    marksiemarksie Member Posts: 14
    What's the deal with getting a Tacoma with exactly what you want? Everytime I go to a dealer and I say what I want they try and call other dealers to see if there's one available. Then they always try and push some other one on me. Can you "order" one with exactly the options you want? Or do you have to settle for what's available? Also how late into the year can you order a 1999?
  • Options
    keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    ATTN: EVERYONE LISTED ABOVE, et al,

I just wanted to take a minute and say "THANK YOU" for all of your help, information, and insight into the "How's your Tacoma" question a couple of weeks ago.

About a year ago, I started researching all the info on the trucks I was interested in. I have always leaned toward the Toyota; Now, I know that the right decision is made and I won't be kicking myself in six months over the truck.

I'm going to order (I hope) my truck sometime in September. That is, if the dealership will let me. I'll keep the message board posted on the ordering process.

Thanks again!!

Keith
  • Options
    Goodluck Keith with your new truck. Many long miles ahead :)
  • Options
    rufarcirufarci Member Posts: 5
    I was wonder, when you get the TRD package, are the rear springs different? I have noticed that other tacomas, when fully loaded, do alot of rear tail sag. When I read about TRD, it seems that the rear springs are heavier duty, therefore less prone towards sagging so much. I like to put alot of stuff in the bed when I use it, and though I am careful not to over-load, heavy duty springs would help. Any ideas, help?

Also

How are your V-6 tacoma's good/okay/poor when towing near their 5,000 lb capacity?
  • Options
    Hey All

This is how the Toyota custom ordering works, or how it worked for me. What Toyota does it let certain dealers fax in a change order. That order being what you do/don't want on your truck. If it is approved they will contact the dealer. There is no guarantee that it will be accepted. This is how mine went....

1.) Agreed on price for options desired
    2.) Put deposit down on Truck ($500)
    3.) Toyota dealer faxed in change order
    4.) About a week later order was accepted
    5.) Truck arrived 4-6 weeks later

The deposit was refundable if Toyota denied the change order, but non-refundable if i changed my mind. The whole process wasn't that bad, and i got what i wanted......

-wsn
  • Options
    Thanks (from me and everyone else I'm sure) with all the info on the Tacoma. You must really like yours. I am still undecided. The dealer is not the best I've encountered. What I would like to hear about today is what is everyone's opinion on the Tacoma's seats, both bench and bucket. One of the few knocks, other than price, I've read is how poor the seats are. Let's hear it.
  • Options
    I have the bucket seats and they are fine. Personally I would like the seat a bit higher, but then again my head would be hitting the underside of the cabin. One thing I just is that I can't get use to that dead pedal.
  • Options
    mattruckmattruck Member Posts: 1
    wow the tacomas are going cheap know. 11444 for the base model fully loaded!!! HOw can the dealar be making money. Does anyone know of speacial dealar incentives right now because i was not aware?
  • Options
    I have the 60/40 bench in my Tacoma. I think the seats are fine. I will say the seats in the Ranger are better, but the Tacoma seats are not as bad as the highky biased Edmunds review makes them out to be........

Mattruck

Toyota can discount the Tacoma's because they pay no import tarrif on them. (Built in CA) Therefore there is more room to bargain than say a 4runner (Built in JP) I think they are doing $1000.00 cash back right now.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any ideas what changes are going to take place in the major redisign of 2001? I read somewhere that they will be coming out with a crew cab - like the Frontier. I asked a dealer if that was true and he said no and tried to sell me a 1999. It was a very informative discussion (NOT!!!!!)

Anyway, I hope someone out there has any ideas on this. Thanks.
  • Options
    swwwjwswwwjw Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both for the response to my tire question. I guess I'll stay with the 265's. I will take your advice wsnoble and cut some 2x6's to fit in the slots of my toyota bedliner to add weight.
  • Options
    albertonalberton Member Posts: 3
    Dear Tacoma owners,

Thanks to all your postings,I finally decided on a
    Tacoma 4x4.I was comparing trucks for a couple of months,
    and wondering if the extra price on a Tacoma was worth it.I basically memorized invoice price for every option available,yet the dealers showed me their invoice printout ,and they would not match.
    Are these printouts legit or what!!!
    Well my Sunfire Red came with the following options:lx-sr5,chrome,badges,a/c
    po-power package
    cq-convenience,tilt, cruise etc.
    aa-aluminum wheels,265 tires *A MUST*
    fd-4 wheel demand
    bu-buckets
    cf-carpets
    wl-wheel locks
    p5-cd player, didnt really want it ,but it came with the truck.
    V6 and the 5 sp.Well, thats about it . I paid $22,700 out the door.And I took advantage of TMCC 1.9% financing
    I bought it in the S.F. Bay Area, how do you guys think I did....RON GOODE TOYOTA was pretty cool,
    sure they wanted top dollar at first, but when I
    mentioned invoice price they were willing to
    compromise!!! Not your avg. Toy dealership.
  • Options
    Is the TMCC just regional? 1.9% is awesome! In Florida the local Toyota dealers say they don't deal with them. They also say there are no rebates or incentives with theTRD package Tacomas. Do you know if that's true? Thanks for any advice.

-Mark
  • Options
    tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    I have the 60/40 bench seats and I think they are quite comfortable. The idea that you could seat a third person in the middle is absurd, especially with the stick. I was really surprised to read the negative review by Edmunds on the seats. It made me wonder if they changed them after '97(?). My lease is up next July and I've been wondering if I could afford a V-6 Tundra. Maybe by then the prices will mellow out. Still no regrets about the 4 cylinder, but if you are used to American 6 cylinders you probably would find it a bit weak. Quick note on ranger, at work we have an 96 Mazda B3000 (really a ranger) with 90k on it and it has been very reliable but the V-6 sounds like a hoover and is a dog. My 4 cylinder Toyota stomps it. And talk about bean bag chairs, I feel like I'm sitting on an old beat up couch, way too soft.
  • Options
    Congrats on your new truck and looks like you got a good deal on the truck.
  • Options
    Hey marksie,
    How is it going out there in Florida.Im not sure
    if the Toyota Motor Credit is regional or not,but they have it a few times a year.Last time was
    4th Of July weekend.Now its running through Labor Day.Always for the big holidays:
    New years,Memorial Day,Thanksgiving, etc
    The 1.9 is for 24 months,3.9 for 36,4.9 for 48.
    There is a rebate of $1000 on all 4x4s,including
    the ones with TRD. You get $750 on Prerunners.
    You get both a rebate and low financing, not one or the other..Hope this helps out!!! IF YOU WANT
    CHECK OUT TOYOTANORCAL.COM FOR MORE INFO.
    GOOD LUCK
    I do have one problem with my new Tacoma:
    Dont know if I can handle all the attention
    Im getting out there on the road!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to the Toyota dealer tonight. They seem friendly but the salesmen said they don't give rebates on the TRD. I guess he was pulling my leg. I'll write on Monday how things went.
  • Options
    zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    I got:
    1999 Chevy Silverado LS Z71 Ext Cab
    Autotrac 4X4
    5.3l V8 and Auto Transmission
    3:73 Locking Differential
    Tow/Haul Mode
    LT265/75/R16 Tires on Alloy Rims
    HD Tow Package, trans cooler, electric brake harness
    4 wheel antilock DISK brakes
    AM/FM Cassette and CD Player, Premium 6 speakers
    Rear Cabin Vents
    Captains Bucket Front Seats
    Bedliner
    Hood Protector

In other words, I got two of your Tacoma's payload and a buttload more options for $26,470.

You bought a 1/4 of the amount of truck and paid 3/4 of what I paid for a whole truck.

I say they saw you coming miles away.

I owned a 96 Tacoma with every option you could get on it. Bought it brand new. Sticker was 21,2XX.XX. I walke out paying not quite 20k.
    It was a very reliable and fun to drive truck, but not even worth the 19,9XX.XX that I paid for one fully loaded.

You paid for a fad. All the yuppy high school kids whos parents bought them a vehicle are what drove the price of your Tacoma to ridiculous price range.
  • Options
    It looks like you've got your fractions down packed.Your truck is pretty sharp,I like the Z71
    but I was in the market for a compact truck,not
    a full size.
    Let me know when your truck is in the shop for
    repairs!!! I will gladly pick you up in my new
    TACOMA....
  • Options
    Like I said, I have owned the Toyota Tacoma, fully loaded with everything you could get on it and STILL LESS than what I got on my Z71.

I had the head gasket go out in my Tacoma at 19k miles. Was in the shop for 5 weeks because there were so many others waiting for the exact same work.

I admit, other than this factory defect, the truck ran tops and the Toyota customer service was good too.

However, you could have bought two trucks for the price you paid for the Tacoma with such less truck like capabilities. My Z71 has had a couple of minor problems, but easily fixed and not a big deal. All these "stories" about the domestics being less reliable is crap.

I have owned 3 gm cars, all Pontiac Grand Am's. The first two, I put over 150k miles on with virtually NOTHING BUT REGULAR MAINTENANCE. Both ran tops when I bought the next Grand Am. My wifes current Grand Am is a 96 model and has 60k miles on it. Again, its never seen the inside of a GM shop. Only regular maintenance that I have done myself.

This is the first GM truck I have owned, but my whole family has owned GM trucks my entire life.
    My dad is the original owner of an 87 model Chevy 4X4. He has put two engines in it since he's owned it. The first engine had over 200k miles on it. It was burning a little oil, but other than that, it ran tops. Since my Dad pulls a 40 foot gooseneck trailer full of cattle with it over 100 miles one way, he wanted to put a new engine in it just for his own peace of mind. He now has the same truck and it now has over 260k miles on the engine he replaced. Still runs great. Yep, I know what youre thinking, what about the transmission? The transmission and transfer case have never been touched and still pull that same 40 foot gooseneck like it wasnt even back there.
    My brother in law is also in the cattle and horse business and has very similar experiences with his 88 Chevy 4X4.

All this to say, yes, you bought a reliable and "cute" truck, but you paid more than double what its worth in what it can work/carry.

My Silverado is just as reliable, gets the same, maybe even BETTER gas mileage than your Tacoma, can carry almost twice the payload, has many more standard and available options than what you bought, and only cost 4k more than what you paid.

If paying way to much for a truck gives you a reliability security blanket, to each their own, but you are just throwing your money out the window. AND, wait until you do have to replace a part. That Tacoma's parts will spend your paycheck in leaps and bounds. If you only wanted a small truck, fine, you would would have been money ahead to even buy a Mazda or Nissan if you are so secure with foreign vehicles. They are just as good and cost closer to what they are actually worth.

Even with the Tacoma you bought, you could have gotten it a BUNCH CHEAPER. They can't hardly give those things away since the Tundra came along. The guy who sold me my Z71 works at an auto plaza that has about every make of car and truck available. He was trying to get me to trade my Z for one of the Tundra's (fat chance). He told me the same Tacoma's they bought for the lot back in November of 98 are STILL on the lot. Nobody wants them. They havn't ordered any either (most cases, you CAN'T order one, unless its a standard configuration that they already assemble anyway. In that case, youre better off buying off the lot anyway.

Good luck, but you won't have to take me to any dealers for repairs. I have driven about all the trucks out on the market and I know I will have many trouble free miles ahead of me with my Z and get 18-20 mpg with my V8 too! Thats better gas mileage than what I got with my Tacoma V6 and better than a buddy of mine who has a 98 with a V6, completely loaded Tacoma.

It is never easy to admit to yourself that you paid too much money for something, but it sounds like you havn't bought too many new vehicles and the dealer knew it.
  • Options
    deltoid1deltoid1 Member Posts: 26
    YOUR SILVERADO JUST AS RELIABLE AS A TOYOTA? WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN SMOKING?

YOU THINK TACOMAS ARE FADS, BUT ASK YOURSELF,"DO YOU REALLY NEED A Z71?" OR IS IT BECAUSE THAT'S THE COOL THING TO HAVE RIGHT NOW.
  • Options
    Yes. The Silverado is just as reliable. I owned a Tacoma. Good truck, but paying that much for it solely because one "thinks" is more reliable is just not money smart.

I bought the Z71 because it was on the lot and had eveything else I wanted. Kept me from having to order my truck. After driving the other truck suspensions offered, to me the Z71 handled better on and off road, pulled a trailer better, and has less squat when loaded.

I hunt and fish and go places your Tacoma could only dream of going. I also haul firewood, rock, cement and the like and the Z71 rides much better loaded.

The Z71 is a fad truck, I will definately agree with you there, but that is not why I bought it. It just happens to be the best suspension for my needs.

It is a known fact that Domestic truck owners own there trucks way longer than foreign truck owners, so the reason for the reliability factor is just plain fairy tales. Not saying that the Tacoma is less reliable and people get rid of them because of it. I am saying that there are more people buying a Tacoma that really don't even need a truck. Its just the cool fad and trade or buy something different after a few years. Very few people buy the foreign trucks for their intended purpose. People like my Dad who still have their 78 model truck ( I made a typo earlier when I said it was an 87.) shows that the Domestics are just as reliable and the Domestics are definately kept longer so buying a foreign vehicle for reliability is really not reality.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you purchase.
  • Options
    phatmikephatmike Member Posts: 21
    Go places the Tacoma could only dream of going?? That is just about the funniest thing I have ever heard. If you didn't live so far away..(I'm here in AZ) I'd say let's go on a little trail ride. I doubt that there would a place that I couldn't go that you could.
  • Options
    If you are so proud of your truck, why don't you go into the Tacoma vs Chevy conference and brag about it?
    I am glad for you that you are happy with your purchase. Why can't you just be the same way and be happy for alberton's purchase. He seems content with it. Why does that make you so mad? If I pay $50000 for a Yugo, why should that bother you? I is my money (and stupidity). But, if I am happy with it, just let it be.
    I want a Tacoma - not a Z71, not a Ranger, not even a Tundra. If you have any advice worth giving ON THE TACOMA, go ahead. If not, just read and move on. I (and others) really don't have the time and desire to read your attacks and others defences. All I wanted was info on the Tacoma, instead I got to sort through info about how great you and your truck are.
    Please DO NOT respond to this. I am not attacking you. I just don't want to read through 10 responses of crap to get to some substance. If I want to compare the two trucks, I will be sure to check out that conference.
  • Options
    Hey axrana,
    Thank for clearing that up for me. I keep logging on to the Tacoma conference and half the posts have nothing to do with Tacomas. I have a 92 Chev but I respect and enjoy reading and learning about everyone's trucks. I don't thing I would buy a Tacoma(too small) but I think they are an excellent product. Don't try to tell anyone not to slam the competitor, it's a waste of time. Of course, some people would say this post is not about Tacomas either. Sorry, couldn't help it...
  • Options
    Okay. I won't post any more about it. I was not trying to "attack" ANYBODY. Simply stated the Tacoma is overpriced, pointed out why, so that maybe broader horizons could be seen and someone may be more money smart in their purchse. You are correct. I could care less if someone blows their money on an overpriced vehicle.

The Tacoma is a good truck for someone who doesn't really need a truck, but there are trucks in the same class that are just as good and cost much less. I am not trying to sell anyone a Z71 Chevy, just pointing out ways to save someone some cash if they are buying a truck to use as a car.

Hope everyone has many happy Tacoma driving years.
    I really liked my Tacoma, just paid more for it than it was worth
  • Options
    kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    it's the big vs little again. my brother inlaw says my truck is just a toy. thats why i like it. it's fun to drive..
  • Options
    Seriously I know a lot of places that Z71 truck can't go, because many of the off-road trails I go are pretty narrow. I guess he can try it if he likes to see the sides of his truck scratch by limbs of branches or by the sides of trees.
  • Options
    You are right. The Toyota is overpriced - ALL Toyotas are overpriced. But they all will sell anyways. That is because people (me included) buy for what the THINK they would use it for, NOT for what they actually use it for.
    I did not want to come down on you, its just that I got sick of reading through all the arguing. Also, now that you have stopped, everyone else is going to start attacking your truck. Oh well... I tried.
    From now on I will just shut up and read.

MPAZOS - You are right. Also, thanks for your help in the other conferences.

I hope that whatever I do get, I will use it for its intended purpose. I am tired of bottoming out my Civic every time I go camping. Also, my trunk is filled with camping gear, that is why I need something like a truck. I plan to put a cap on the back so I can have a place for my future dogs.
  • Options
    Hey Hindsite

I have been away for awhile. What happened to Ranger vs Tacoma part II. I can't seem to find it.......

-wsn
  • Options
    bravobravo Member Posts: 3
    TOYOTA TRUCKS IS NOT FOR EVERY ONE ONLY FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXTRA CASH PERIOD.
  • Options
    Topic #867
  • Options
    keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    Has anyone else noticed the price drop for the 2000 mdl. Tacoma 4x4 xtra cab v-6? The last info from autosite that I've got is $20,128, (base price, 1999 mdl.) Autosite is now reporting $18,838 for the 2000 model.

Is there something I've missed? Or is Toyota finally going to be price competitive.
  • Options
    parkman50parkman50 Member Posts: 63
    Has anyone heard about a secret warranty on the toyota V6. I saw someone's post about head problems on the V6 tacoma, but I think they had low miles ~19K. But my brother in law's truck just shot the rod out of the block and the fender in you can believe that. He already had some head work done (under normal warranty) but this is total engine failure just barely out of the warranty miles. A friend of mine told me to check out secret warranties/recalls that manufacturers offer when they have a "suspect" component. Can anyone help out here?? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    You probably read my post. My truck blew the head gasket at 19k miles. Was fixed under warranty but had to wait about 5 weeks to get fixed because of the line in front of me for the same thing. Under the circumstances, Toyota did do a good job fixing it. They completely hot tanked the engine, even though the leak was exterior. They also put new lower end bearings just as a precaution and also extended my 60k powertrain warranty out to 100k miles.

All in all, they went further than I think any of the big three would have, but my question is this:
    "Why is it STILL HAPPENING"? Supposedly it was caused by defective gaskets from the supplier. Well, come to find out, its from the compressed head size to make the egine more compact and fit into a smaller space. The normal pressure is blowing the head gaskets.

HMMMMM! I won't dog Toyota because they treated me pretty dang good and other than that widespread problem, I had 47k miles of virtually troublefree and fun driving out of the truck. However, I won't buy another one. WAAAAAY too much money for the amount of truck and they should be doing something to keep the problem from happening to the new models. Even though they go all out to rectify it, they should be putting more of that effort into preventing it from happening at all.

Check with Toyota. I am sure that if the truck had the head gasket problem fixed under warranty, they have extended the basic powertrain warranty out. My dealer did. Even put it in writing.
This discussion has been closed.