Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    sumit_duasumit_dua Member Posts: 2
    Hi...

Airbag light comes on and off when seat is is moved. This is a very comman problem with Hyundai Sonata. I face the same problem with my Sonata.
    Does anyone have solution to this ?

Sam
  • Options
    pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    If you are referring to the front passenger seat in the 2006+ Sonata, then I wouldn't consider it a problem. The dealer told me that the seat is pressure sensitive and if not enough pressure (person sitting properly on it) is on the seat, the airbag light will luminate indicating that it is inactive. Next generation airbag systems. ;)
  • Options
    sumit_duasumit_dua Member Posts: 2
    It's 1999 Hyundai Sonata. But I know the problem is due to front pessenger seat. Beacause I know when I moved the seat, then the airbag light turned on.
    Is there a way to solve this problem......some short and quick way ..?
  • Options
    joedirtjoedirt Member Posts: 36
    The rear suspension noise on my 2006 GLS V6 is DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

I spent the better part of this weekend trying to figure out where the noise is coming from!!!

I didn't notice it on my extended test drive, but now it has reared its ugly head, and I'm NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!! :mad:
  • Options
    knsgeeknsgee Member Posts: 21
    Anybody on line know if the 2006 Sonata are equipped with daytime running lights and if not how much it costs to have this mod installed? It's a requirement for Canada.
  • Options
    rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    The rear suspension noise on my 2006 GLS V6 is DRIVING ME NUTS!!!....

I didn't notice it on my extended test drive, but now it has reared its ugly head, and I'm NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!!

Joe,
    Could what you're hearing be the gas sloshing around in the tank rather than a suspension noise? The first time I heard the noise in my 06 Sonata, I also thought it was coming from the suspension. But it turned out to be the gas. I only notice it driving at low speeds after a fill up. To my ear it's a creaking or groaning sound. I was able to isolate it to the gas tank and now that I know what it is, it doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    eric39eric39 Member Posts: 15
    Hi

I just bought an 06 LX and love it. Where can I find the manufacturing date?

Thanks
    Eric
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Eric, It's usually on the "B" pillar, not far from the VIN number
  • Options
    eclarkeclark Member Posts: 12
    You and I join many postings on this site who complain about this particular suspension noise. Fuel sloshing around in the tank is another noise but not the same as the suspension. I notice the suspension noise when driving over dips and bumps in the road during normal driving speeds. Some have said tighten the spar tire down more which I tried without success. I complained to the service department, but they tell me operating as designed. Your dealer may or may not address this issue for you. Mine brushed me off with this operating as designed response.
  • Options
    eric39eric39 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks! :)
  • Options
    erobinso77erobinso77 Member Posts: 1
    My radio in my 2002 Hyundai Sonata has a small lighting problem. When I have my headlights on, all the buttons on my radio illuminate properly, with the exception of the radio display (the part that shows what station you are on or track currently playing and so forth). This happened once before a few months back and I used my engineering skills to hit it and it suddenly came back on. I don't believe this is a fuse issue because all other parts of the stereo work including the back lighting for all the buttons. I cannot seem to find a way to get behind that panel to examine the bulb to get a replacement. What is the best way to get in there to replace the bulb without removing the entire dash or even the entire radio (though I would be willing to do that as well).

Thank you
  • Options
    pastorjimpastorjim Member Posts: 3
    My brand new 2006 Sonata GLS and its standard AC works when the outside temperature is 60 degrees or lower, but when the outside temperature reaches 85+ degrees (and you need the AC) it alternates between lukewarm air and stale musty hot air. This V6 ought to freeze me out, but is worthless and the dealership can't find the problem. The techs AC thermometer/gauge reads 40 degrees when it's working, then you can watch as the temp rises to over 80 degrees. This holds true whether the car is in city traffic or at 75MPH on the freeway. Anyone else having this problem? If so, what was the fix so I can point the techs at the dealership in the right direction? Thanks, PastorJim
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I don't have the problem but if I did I would have the dealership techs contact Hyundai USA Technical Dept. They in turn should be able to direct the techs to the proper solution. You can also request a meeting with a factory rep.
  • Options
    Jim, Sounds like it's in the temperature selector switch. Please let us know what it turns out to be.
  • Options
    dragonspankdragonspank Member Posts: 11
    I would just have them replace the whole thing. You know if they give it a quick fix it's just going to do the same thing again. My wife had this problem with her 2005 Ford Focus. Ford said they AC unit was overcharged and thats why she got hot air. Well it wasn't that....so they ended up replacing the whole damn thing.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses thus far. I'll keep you posted as the saga continues. The dealership confirmed the problem, but the issue comes and goes and Hyundai Tech Support can't nail it either. As usual, the dealership is reluctant to tear into things since it's a warranty issue and their responsibility as to cost. I will probably request the factory rep get involved, and have also contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs. In the meantime, I'm hoping they find something today as the weekend forecast is for temps in excess of 100 degrees.
  • Options
    hyunsonhyunson Member Posts: 1
    When I fill the tank the fuel gauge shows 3/4. After a few days it may show full but lately does not. Anyone else have this problem? In a few months I'll have my first service and I'll ask the mechanics at Hyundai.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    My sister had this same problem last week on her '06. She took it in and they said there was a bad connection in the fuel tank area.

They filled up the tank to check so she got $25 worth of gas for free as part of their diagnostics.
  • Options
    ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    I do my own a/c work and had same problem with a BMW I owned. It was the exspansion valve (or whatever metering device Hyundai uses) This is buried deep in the evaporator box and is a very big job. I had to remove the entire dash to do the job. If they are lucky they may be able to flush it out and only replace the filter drier but not likely. The tech probably suspects this but will be tied up for a whole day on one job and this is why they are putting it off. It's also possible moisture got into system at the factory due to sloppy work, if this was the case I would think the tech would have seen the tell tale readings on his gauges, but if it is moisture the fix is easier and has a much lower failure rate. good luck
  • Options
    Hey everyone, I filled my car up with a full tank of gas today and it will only register half a tank. Has anyone had this problem?
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Can you read the posts preceding yours?
  • Options
    osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I don't know too much about how transmissions work so maybe I don't really have a problem. The dealer said they didn't notice anything unusual but this just doesn't seem right to me.

When I get up to 35 or 40 mph and take my foot off the accelerator the car often (but not always) seems to be held back, like the transmission is causing a drag. When the car slows down enough, I can see the tachometer jump up about 500 rpm and the car then feels free again. Of course, the car needs to shift gears as I slow down. However, it seems that as it shifted to lower gears the drag would get worse, not better. Is this right?

Also, when I'm feeling the drag if I shift to neutral I feel the car free up. And if I put it back in drive then it doesn't drag, it still feels free.

Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    wow..that blew past me...thanks.
  • Options
    i have this problem...my friend said its probably a bad floater.
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    Depending on your "Build Date", there was a comprehensive Transmission TSB. From what I was told by my Service Manager, this re programming is quite involved, and many of the re programmed units were then rendered inoperable. They replaced mine instead of the re programming?.
  • Options
    ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    They replace the transmission or the module?
  • Options
    Osaka, could be the lockup torque converter not immediately unlocking when you get off the accelerator pedal. It's a fuel and brake saving feature, and it's all controlled by the computer.
  • Options
    bsancatbsancat Member Posts: 27
    I installed the myself with an aftermarket kit. Cost was about $50.00. If you can read instructions, you can install it yourself with hand tools.
  • Options
    I just had my six-disc changer replaced under warranty. Now I'm waiting for Hyundai to return the five discs that were in the player. (mine woulnn't play or eject CD's.
    The dealer was very reluctant to replace it without an official "OK" from Hyundai.

Barry
  • Options
    My dealer ordered a new one for me and it took less than a week (three weeks ago). Only problem is that they cannot get the CD's out that were in the player. It had to be shipped back to Hyundai who will remove the CD's and send them back to me.
  • Options
    Hi Suzanna. When you get your CD's back, maybe you should copy them, and use the copies rather than the originals. Not only do they occasionally get eaten, but other "stuff" happens to CD's that are left in a car. Another good measure you could take would be to rip the entire set of CD's, convert to MP3, and you could probably fit 10-12 standard CD's on to 1 MP3 CD. Hope you recover your disks!
  • Options
    knsgeeknsgee Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the info bsancat! I am a senior and extremely challenged when it comes to things mechanical however I shall give it a shot.
    Did you install this feature in order to satisfy Canadian import rules or just foadditional safety they are supposed to provide?
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Makes sense - 40 mph is about the speed where the torque converter locks and unlocks. It's also variable in takeup to avoid the abrupt engagement and disengagement that may owners objected to in earlier designs.
  • Options
    An 06 Sonata owner seems to have found the problem, at least in his car. There is a fat parking brake cable that runs horizontally along the floor pan, only clearing it by 2". The owner saw a mark where the cable was hitting, and tied up the cable with a nylon zip tie. Problem solved! I know it sounds too good to be true, but he removed the zip tie, and the thunking returned. Tied it up again, and it was gone again. It's hard to believe all the dealers have missed this simple problem, so I am still a little doubtful! Fingers crossed that a .02 zip tie can fix the noise!
  • Options
    acurattleacurattle Member Posts: 35
    "Now if someone could help me with a buzz in the drivers door/pillar. My Dealer wants to take apart my Car again."

You have Bees in your B Pillar. Just take apart your Car while wearing a Bee costume so you don't get stung, and spray everything with Black Flag. Reassemble your Car and go play. ;)
  • Options
    billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    Bobad, can you tell us EXACTLY where the cable is slapping down, preferably with a picture so that I and others can identify it and get rid of the thunk? Thanks!
  • Options
    Hey Bill, The owner that fixed his problem said the cable was on the driver's side, and could be accessed by reaching in front of the rear tire. That's all I know. Originally, he said he slid under his car far enough to see the cable, and could see a mark in the undercoating where the cable was thunking against the floor pan. Wish I could be more specific. He is supposed to take pictures. If I don't post anything back, remind me in a few days.
  • Options
    billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    Thanks! Just looked; I'll add it to my "To-Do" list when I purchase the car in a month (cross my fingers, wish me luck!) I have to sell a house (anyone want to buy one?) first.
  • Options
    That is interesting?. I have the opposite problem. When I fill it, it does shows full. After driving it nowhere for a day or two, I'm on 3/4. :mad:
  • Options
    trip11trip11 Member Posts: 8
  • Options
    trip11trip11 Member Posts: 8
    Looking for rear seat covers for my 06 sonata. Cant seem to find any custom seat covers from hyundai or from other sites. If anyone has any recomendations or websites. Please advise me or post.
  • Options
    dano13dano13 Member Posts: 15
    Well first let me state that i love my 06 sonata v-6 have had it for just under a year, 13,000 miles ,flawless i might add just drove from Daytona beach fl. to L.A 7,000 miles drive.Now here is my bone to pick, the tires MXV-4 are v speed rated but at speeds of over 100 mph feal unsafe the closer you get to 130 the les stabel they feal, i wonder if the 30 psi they say to use in the tires is enuff for high speed driving or the tires are not realey v speed rated.also i got 28 mpg at speeds of 75 to 100+ and i use mobil one 10 w 30 .
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Hyundai's use of twin-tube comfort oriented struts and wimpy stabilizer bars (especially that absurdly skinny 15mm rear one...) probably have more to do with your observation about borderline stability at high speed than the company's choice of tires. If you make a habit of driving in excess of 100 mph, you'd be wise to consider increasing your life insurance and the cold tire pressure by several more pounds above factory recommendations as a matter of safety. But, make no mistake - you didn't buy a sport sedan; you bought a family sedan. (There's probably a reason why BMW gets the big bucks for their "Ultimate Driving Machines". ;))
  • Options
    My Sonata is a late build, and doesn't have the wheel weight issue. It's jet smooth at 100mph, and feels rock solid.
  • Options
    dano13dano13 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the tip ! and your right if i wanted to drive through the desert at 100 ++ mph i schould have spent another $25.000 and got a beemer.at normal hwy speeds( around here Orlando area 80 mph my sonata feals as smooth as glass but i still think that 30 psi is way to soft.
  • Options
    Please use the spell checker before posting. You Posts are attrocias, and your advice is meaningless when presented in such an amateurish style.
  • Options
    jgreen16jgreen16 Member Posts: 1
    You might want to do the same as you have misspelled atrocious. And that isn't the only error in your post. I think most people got dano13's drift, so there is no need to nitpick IMHO.
  • Options
    After two weeks of working with the Hyundai master tech at the dealership and even with an open case file with the Techs at Hyundai my Sonata's AC still alternately works, then fails when the outside temps get above 90 degrees. They've got it to fail, ran tests, and even replaced just about all but the compressor and still can't nail it. It's getting extremely frustrating since the car's only 5 months old and the '06 Sonata loaner I've got works fine. If anyone has had this problem and found a fix, please let me know. Thanks.