Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Baja

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If they'd like to pay me, please send a check to...

The trick is to figure out which models have incentives. I think the regular Baja did, but not the Sport. So if you want the leather, it may not close a whole lot more.

If you're patient, I bet the Sport will have incentives sooner or later. Maybe already.

I think demand is low, so invoice minus any incentives is a fair price and a good deal.

-juice
  • Options
    baja7baja7 Member Posts: 14
  • Options
    jimqpublicjimqpublic Member Posts: 23
    on Baja unitl June 30. I don't think it's running on the Sport, and it certainly might be extended if inventory is still high.

I guess I need to drive an '03. It sounds like a lot less money than the turbo. Maybe I will wait till I see prices on the turbo then decide.

Several internet posts have mentioned paying between $100 and $300 over invoice for Forester XT's, so the Turbo Baja will probably go pretty close to invoice as well. I suspect that Subaru must have quite a bit of holdback, advertising co-op, and other hidden money going to the dealers.

Jim
  • Options
    Oops, too late to edit, but obviously I meant "cost a whole lot more", not close.

It'll be interesting to see where Baja turbo prices end up. The XT costs $1300 more than the XS with the same equipment, that could make the Baja turbo a bargain.

Subaru put too much equipment on the original Baja, and that hurt sales, so let's see if they learned their lesson. Putting a $30k Baja turbo for sale would just be dumb.

-juice
  • Options
    fastfoordfastfoord Member Posts: 9
    The combination of big price cuts & the 0% for
    2 years sucked me in. I managed to squeeze free
    splash guards out of them too. I didn't get a terrific price for my trade; but i didn't expect to with the prices & 0%. I am satisfied. I just hope I like the Baja. It is for transportation.
    If I need to go fast, I can still hop in my Saleen.
    ;-)
    fastfoord
  • Options
    Ditto to Fastfoord. I too brought a yellow 03 baja, auto for $17,999, with splash guards and 0% financing. Dealer added a bed extender for $154, installed. This made the spread between the 03 & 04 as high as $10k, factoring the higher msrp, extra sales tax and in CA, triple vehicle registration after 10/03. Not to mention higher operating cost, ie: prem fuel/lower mpg.

The Baja has to be a real sleeper at these prices, which may go lower, there a so many on the dealer's lots in So. Calif. Sooner or later they have to move them.

The car is a dream to drive, with all the appointments of a top end car at only 18K. A tad under powered, but certainly great reliable transportation with a flair and style.

I too am spoiled, like fastfoord, my other car is a MCoupe. The Baja is to good of a car to not to consider for a first time all around practical vehicle.

Bill
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Can anyone confirm that the Baja Turbo will use the same engine as the Forester XT? I just read the review on the Forester XT in this month's Car and Driver and was very impressed with what they had to say about the engine.

My wife is interested in the Baja, but thought the regular engine would not provide enough punch (we drove an Outback with the 2.5L and an automatic transmission and felt it could barely get out of it's own way).

Also, will it be available with both a stick as well as the auto? Any guess as to prices? I've taken a quick look at Subaru's website and there wasn't any information -- at least, not in the few minutes I spent there. Would a $1-2K bump in price be an adequate guess, given the difference in price between the Forester XS vs. XT?

Also, any other general comments (both pro and con) on the vehicle? Would like some honest feedback about it.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Engine is supposed to have the same output, though I saw both in the flesh and the intake routing is slightly different. That doesn't mean much, and 210hp/235lb-ft will really move the Baja.

Have no doubt, it'll outrun the Chevy Silverado SS and may even give the F150 Lightning a run for quickest pickup.

Someone calculated the cost of the engine upgrade alone - it came out to about $1300. It's packaged with other stuff that adds about $2 grand to the XS' price.

So it depends on how they package it. My guess is, if anything, they'll add the same amount or less in terms of those extras, to keep pricing down. Baja shoppers seem to be more price sensitive, so I'd say "at most" $2 grand price increase, probably $1500.

-juice
  • Options
    jimqpublicjimqpublic Member Posts: 23
    Official Subaru press info is available at http://www.media.subaru.com

Click on "Baja" on the left side;
    Then click on "Turbo at a glance" or "Turbo specs" to download the .pdf files. They have quite a bit of info.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    Good to have options.

When will the turbos be in dealers? September?

-juice
  • Options
    Well I have had my baja since early in the week
    & have put a little more than 100 miles on it.
    The gas tank was completely full when I took delivery & it is still at 3/4. :-)

The ride is good. Handles well. With the sunroof open you can open the back windows a little & get real good airflow without getting your hair messed up. The base stereo is really nice. I see no need for an upgrade. (maybe some of those 20 somethings may disagree). I have never seen a new car draw so much attention in the parking lot at work.

The seats seem a little stiff, but should soften with wear. I don't see what all the fuss was in some magazines & online about be underpowered. It is what it is. An economical 4 cyl that is a practical unit. Not quite a car, not quite a truck. I guess I should thank someone for sluggish sales lately so that I could buy one off the lot for $6,000 off sticker.

fastoord
    89 Saleen #12
    64 falcon sprint conv.
  • Options
    flabajaflabaja Member Posts: 1
    I bought the 03 silver Baja in Gainesville, Florida a couple of months ago. Thirty six months at 1.9%. I've been really surprised at the way this car handles like a sports car. I owned a 64' and earlier Healeys and this thing corners much faster. As for the lack of power. I've found that holding the auto in 3rd gear till I get to the end of the ramp I'm doing around 80. It has a soft ride and on our first trip a drunk slammed into the back of the Mercedes SUV in the left lane on I-20 outside Atlanta. He then sideswiped my left side and never bumped me out of my lane. Most of my damage was to the paint and rear door. I credit the AWD for the safe control in that accident. No, it doesn't have V8 power but it's plenty hot for a 72 year old ex hot rod.
  • Options
    You're lucky to escape with just a few dings!

FWIW, I've been seeing more and Bajas recently. I saw a silver one today towing a jet ski.

Bob
  • Options
    I saw a red one today, in Cabin John. Probably a kayaker.

-juice
  • Options
    tnel332tnel332 Member Posts: 23
    I think I found the reason that the sales are so slow. I've looked at a couple of them (and hoping that I would be wrong) and I noticed that there is no headroom. I'm 6ft tall and my hair (what little is left and very short) rubs against the roof. The sunroof cuts out the headroom. If I put the seat all the way down and recline the seat I'd be OK but I can't drive reclining back that far. Did anybody else who wanted to buy one pass because of the same reason as me?
    Tom
  • Options
    You are correct. There is not much headroom for
    the tall folks. I'm 5' 8" & am quite comfortable.
    I can see where you may not be that comfortable.

These are not full size suv's & don't pretend to be.

ff
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Please keep us informed. May consider a 5 speed. Which dealers are dealing for $18k? Thanks!

Tom
  • Options
    I can fit, but you're right, it's tight. I'm just a tad under 6'.

I didn't understand why they didn't delete the moonroof on the Sport model. They could have dropped the price another $800 or so.

-juice
  • Options
    Deleting the moonroof means new roof stamping dies, thus added manufacturing expense. On a relatively low volume model, such as the Baja Sport, they may not have been able to recoup those costs over the production cycle of the vehicle. Even if they did, the 'gotta-have-one' factor is significantly reduced by not having the moonroof.

Bob
  • Options
    Well, with a cramped interior maybe it would have been better not to have a moonroof at all.

This from a moonroof fan. Can't believe I just wrote that. LOL

-juice
  • Options
    Pruduealum91, check message page 69 and my post #1370 to answer your question.

LOL,
    Bill
    03 Baja
  • Options
    I have less than 500 miles on my baja & observed
    26.3 miles per gallon with a mixture of city highway driving. I'm pretty happy with that.

fastford
  • Options
    Just got back from Jersey. Avg 50 mpg cruising at 75-80 mph w/ac and full load - VW Golf TDI. Man, it is going to be hard to give this car up!
  • Options
    Around me, diesel prices are higher than Premium! How about there?

I'd love the range, though.

-juice
  • Options
    Hey Juice,

That is the one negative about opwning one around here - $1.74 for Amoco premier diesel. This is really good stuff. In NJ, I was paying $1.45. Great little car. I dont understand why I dont see more of them.
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    $1.74, $1.45 ... dang, the Mobil in my nabe [Brooklyn, NY] is selling @ $2.08/gal.

-Dave
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Hey Baja owners, some questions. I test drove a Baja Sport last night. I could not get comfortable in the driver's seat. Dealer amazingly did not have the original Baja in stock (they'd had over a half dozen Bajas several weeks ago but are left with only 2 Sports right now.) I have a WRX wagon now and an old Toyota pickup. I'd like to eventually replace the Toyota with a Baja Turbo with thoughts of taking it to Colorado. So I need something that I can do some miles in. Does the regular Baja have height adustment on the power drivers seat? Did anyone drive a Baja Sport and feel cramped in driver's seat. I felt like it had less legroom than my WRX which fits me fine (6' tall, 32" inseam)
    Does anyone know what the seats on the Turbo will be? SOA's press release which has the specs does not say. Also wonder if it will have heated seat, sure hope it does. I plan to take a long test drive when the Turbo becomes available. I saw one dealer's web site saying the turbo would have the Sportshift for its AT. Anyone else heard that?
    TWRX
  • Options
    Yes, I heard that it'll have Sportshift.

The turbo had the perforated leather seats from the non-Sport Baja. The Baja Sport has the cloth seats from the Legacy L. They are not Subaru's best seats, not by a long shot.

-juice
  • Options
    by the Subdriven.com folks:

http://www.subdriven.com/features/test_drives/baja_sport/test_dri- ve_baja_sport.html

This one had the vinyl bed cover, which I'm beginning to warm up to.

Bob
  • Options
    cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    The new Forester made a bigger splash than the new Baja:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6220&sid=18- 1&n=157
  • Options
    Autoweek drove both turbos, and also preferred the lighter XT. I think part of that is that the Baja only came with the automatic.

-juice
  • Options
    is to be released sometime after the automatic. When? I don't know. I have yet to see a review of a Baja turbo 5-speed.

Bob
  • Options
    Bad idea, the press numbers that get published are for the early models. I doubt they'll re-test such a niche vehicle a 3rd time...

-juice
  • Options
    Just read that the Avalanche has a sales pace of 100k units per year. That's obviously very good, in fact it sells better than any single Subaru model, even the Outback and Forester.

It would be interesting to see, though, how Avalanche sales compare to Sierra sales, i.e. what % of sales went to their Crew Cab.

Then we could look at Baja as a % of Outback sales.

-juice
  • Options
    that could be asked of any full-size SUV and and/or pickup.

Bob
  • Options
    Also, go to the "What did you pay" thread for the Avalanche and some folks are getting them now for just $24k. Even well equipped they don't tend to go over $28k.

So GM is subsidizing sales with heavy incentives, I think $4000 cash back.

-juice
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    I just got back from vacation and we had a Avalanche. I got to drive it a fair amount. Things I noticed:
    A) all agreed, fairly uncomfortable seats for longer drives. Seemed too soft and not enough lumbar support.
    B) not a lot of space! 4 guys for 8 days + fishing gear... we had to pack light and then it was cramped.
    C) acceleration was poor. OK I didn't push it to the floor, but my OB wagon accelerates about the same.
    D) mirrors didn't adjust far enough...
    E) Typical GM over boosted power steering. Easily drive with one finger and felt very loose.
    F) no head rest for the middle rear seat. This is only a complaint because I have a family of 5. Why no head rest in all seating positions? Typical of all domestic trucks/SUVs.

Otherwise, gas milage was as advertised or slightly better (18 to 19mpg hwy). Headlights were very good, turning and parking were easy for a big truck. Enough power that I couldn't tell if it was loaded or unloaded....

$24K hmmm I need a truck to tow a camper and bring the family....for that price its probably worth it. but I bet thats 2wd?

Build a baja in between the current one and the avalanche and you might have something...

--jay
  • Options
    Baja should have been there - mid-size, I mean. It's tight in both passenger and cargo space, so it feels more like a compact.

-juice
  • Options
    it will be built off the larger up-coming 7-passenger crossover next go around. Yep, something sized between the current Baja and the Avalanche would be about perfect.

Bob
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It could take on the Pilot El-Camino that is slated to come out.

-mike
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Looking forward to another active chat tonight!!

Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

The Subaru Crew meets every Thursday at 6PM PT/9PM ET... stop by and join us to talk Subaru or anything else automotive that might come up! Hope to see you there tonight!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • Options
    I agree with mike. They're not going to go after Avalanche buyers to tow 7000 lbs (and the inefficiencies that go with that).

The Pilot is an attainable target, though. Get towing to 3500 lbs, and get it to mid-size, and maybe Bob will stop talking about tow ratings! LOL

-juice
  • Options
    I haven't mentioned towing in... at least a day. ;)

Bob
  • Options
    A new record! LOL

-juice (who tows and may be one of the few that cares)
  • Options
    ruba410ruba410 Member Posts: 4
    When we first bought our black BAJA, we considered painting the silver clading black,however the silver clading quickly grew on us,so that we are very happy with the vehicle just the way it is.
    For the sake of discusion and for information that others can use I would like to ask a few questions.
    Has anyone gotten an estimate to paint the clading so that it will match the upper half of the BAJA?
    What would be a reasonable fair price to pay for such a paint job?
    Is the clading easily removable or do you have to dismantal the doors?
    I can go on,enough for now.
  • Options
    Who is it, Earl Schiebe, that charges $99 to paint the whole car? But you get what you pay for. You have to do all the prep, he'll paint your windows if you don't cover them! :-)

A good paint job will run into the thousands, though.

The cladding is hard to paint, the surface is harder to get paint to adhere to. There are also many surfaces, many panels.

-juice
  • Options
    Just visited the SOC web site, and noted that Canadian Bajas have payloads of 1070/1005 (5-speed/auto). It's listed on the Baja "Dimensions" page.

http://www.subaru.ca/

Bob
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    juice-
    at a glance, I thought you wrote "Scheiße" ;-)

I think it was him IIRC.
    His jingle went something like, "I'll paint any car any make anytime for 99.99" or something like that.

-Dave