Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• Options
    deuskiddeuskid Member Posts: 20
    Been reading, studying and falling in love w/ TDI and now I find that it employs 'older' technology in fuel distribution. Is Continuous Rail technology vastly superior? A few sources I've read state that VW will be bringing it to the US in '05.

Almost ready to buy a Jetta and now must consider a Jeep Liberty [still leaning toward the Jetta tho but don't want to be 'closed minded'].

What are your thoughts?

thx
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

Perhaps a better way to ask is what is the practical upshot of newer vs older technology in diesel fuel distribution? More or less reliability, fuel mileage, cheaper, etc, etc.?

In line with your second question, does the Jeep Liberty have such a superior fuel distribution system that it would make you NOT buy a Jetta TDI?
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (deuskid) Your concerns are totally unfounded.
    The TDI engine available in the USA today has millions of miles of proven reliability and is already beyond what anyone else offers in the USA.

BTW... the new TDI is NOT common-rail... VW has taken a different approach they call "Pump Douse"(sp?)In this design, each injector has its OWN pump instead of a common rail. The idea is the provide many thousand PSI of pressure to each injector nozzle.

By necesssety, the "Pump Douse"(sp?) engine is not available in the USA. The current USA diesel fuel would be detrimental to the fuel pumps.

I will quote what someone told me back in 1983 about buying a computer.... "If you wait to justify it, you will NEVER get one." I believe he was trying to tell me that the technology is always changing and there is ALWAYS somthing new in the works.

My new Jetta TDI has 1300 miles on it... It is the very best vehicle I have ever owned. By the time I am looking for another TDI, It will be well beyond the year 2015. By then, I am sure there will be something "new" that will have been around for many years. I always go for PROVEN technology and let someone else deal with the problems that comes with new technology.
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    An "Umlaut" is formed with the vowels a, o, or u. In lieu of a character set that supports those little dots, it is acceptable to add the letter e after the vowel:

ü = ue

Repeat after me:

No e Umlaut you'll find,
    'cause the e's so kind -
    second place it'll take,
    for o, u and a's sake.

Duese Düse Duese Düse Duese Düse Duese Düse Duese ...

- D.
  • Options
    shortyjlgshortyjlg Member Posts: 4
    I JUST PICKED UP MY VW TDI FRIDAY AND I WAS TOLD THAT I SHOULDN'T EVER JUMP START MY CAR 'CUZ IT WILL SHORT OUT THE FUSE BOX OR SOMETHING IN THE BATTERY? FOR NOW THAT'S FINE SINCE I'VE GOT THE 4 YEAR DEAL THAT I CAN JUST CALL "AAA" AND THEY'LL COME JUMP ME, EVEN IN MY DRIVEWAY. BUT WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE 4 YEARS?
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I know its not a TDI, but I had an 01 Jetta 1.8T and was told the same thing. However, since my car had a bad battery from the start and I live 100 miles away from the dealer, I used our battery charger on *jump* mode and got it started many times. Finally got the dealer to replace the battery and that solved it. Never had a problem with jump starting it though, maybe it was because I didn't use another vehicle.
  • Options
    ljegljeg Member Posts: 2
    I need some advice from Jetta TDI owners. After driving my '01 Dodge Cummins Ram over 40K miles, I don't think I'd ever again buy another gasoline powered vehicle. The mileage (20-22 MPG), the incredible torque and the reliability are great. I'm now considering a Jetta TDI but Consumer's Reports magazine has rated Jetta reliability as 'below average'. Based on previous experience, I take CR's ratings with more than a grain of salt, but nonetheless, I do wonder about Jetta reliability and quality because of the magazines ratings. What has been your experience with the Jetta TDI? Have you experienced many problems? How would you rate its quality?
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    From what I've gathered, the Jetta was previously average in reliability. Because of some major problems with power window motors and coils on the gas models, they've dropped to below average. My '00 has had three power window regulators replaced, but they are now an updated design.

IMHO, unless you're comparing to Toyota or Honda, VW is at least on par with most domestics. Most of the problems I see in VW's are minor, quirky type things. Most of the drivetrains are rock solid although I've heard it's pretty easy to roast a clutch on the new models.

I have an '01 Ram Cummins (110k miles) and an '03 Ram Cummins (4k miles) and have no real problems with either one and they're used nearly exclusively for towing. I don't think any vehicles today are inherently troublesome. They're all just different levels of good.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    no problems yet. 15 months, 45,000 miles.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...I'm late and you may have already seen this, but in case you haven't...

Diesel Developments
  • Options
    One error is concerning biodiesel not being available to the public. As many here will agree, that is false. It's not common, but can be bought at many fuel depots.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...I wondered about that since I know it is offered in some areas. Perhaps you would like to send a send a letter to the editors(editor@edmunds.com) to let them know where you purchase bio-diesel?
  • Options
    bigsolbigsol Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,
    The Mrs. and I were looking at a new 2003 Jetta with the 5 speed manual trans and the 1.9 TDI engine.
    When I asked the service manager on maintenance issues he mentioned the replacement interval of the timing belt at 40,000 miles. For me that would be less than every two years and, at $500 a pop it has turned me away from the car. Is it necessary to change the belt so often? How difficult is it to do? I am very handy and have done timing belts in my old corolla and Mazda. Are there any other major points to be considered with regard to the Jetta?
    We were also concerned that Consumers did not rate the Jetta highly on the reliability scale. I know consumers needs to be taken with a grain of salt but, much of their info does come from owner surveys. Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Bigsol
  • Options
    chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    Bigsol: The dealer you talked to was misinformed, that interval was true for cars with the older design timing belt. Anything 2002 or newer uses an 80k mile belt, so that should significantly reduce that cost.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    The 2003 VW Jetta TDI has the 100k mile timing belt schedules. The VW web site, the Bentley's 2003 repair CD and the owners scheduled maintenance documents indicate this.
  • Options
    wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    03 is the last year the TDI can be sold in 5 states including Mass where I am . I was thinking about picking up a TDI Jetta but what will be it's future ? . If the country switches to low sulfur diesel will the TDI's run ????
  • Options
    (wwhite2) Gee... you talk as if the TDI is somhow going away to be replaced by somting else.... the name TDI will live on... (I understand that the "D" and "I" will be red in color to denote the next generation of TDI engine)

The TDI (todays engine and the next generation) was DESIGNED to run on the very-low-sulfer fuel that is available in Europe. The crud they call deisel fuel here in the USA is just barely acceptable.
    When (if) the very-low-sulfer diesel ever becaomes a reality here in the USA... the TDIs will run even better. (less emmissions and less intake clogging)

If you are REALLY concerned, I suggest you look for BD (BioDiesel). There are some folks that run BD and report improved performance all around (emmissions, MPG, NO intake clogging... etc)

To find BD near you... check out this website
    http://www.biodiesel.org/
  • Options
    if the rest of the country follows the green states (and they usually do) then any diesel with a gvw less than 6000 # cant be sold new . that would leave diesel pickups only
  • Options
    hloadhload Member Posts: 27
    I think only 5 states follow the CARB rules. California and four up in New England. 45 other states haven't followed.

Scott
    03 tdi wagon
  • Options
    natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    Karen, I sent an email right away to the editors about that piece and biodiesel. I'm distressed that they haven't changed it.

bigsol, I just replaced the timing belt on my Passat. Or, rather, I stood around and watched geeks from the TDIClub do it. ;) The parts were only ~$150.

As for low sulfur, don't worry about current engines. They should have NO problem with ULSD. In fact, biodiesel is sulfur free, and my Passat has had no problems running on it (and, in fact, runs much better on it).
  • Options
    deuskiddeuskid Member Posts: 20
    Natescape, how long [months and miles] have you used bioD? are you running 100% or some blend? how did you gravitate to bioD - cold cut or in blend increments? Where do you buy you bioD? Do you make your own? Enquiring minds want to learn ;-)

thx
  • Options
    utloggerutlogger Member Posts: 17
    netscape, you mentioned that your Passat runs well on biodiesel. When did VW start importing the Passat with the TDI? I thought they were still available only outside the US.
  • Options
    I believe Nates is an older Passat. IIRC, they were available through '97 with a TDI. Very high demand vehicle, particularly a wagon.

Passat TDI is supposed to arrive again later this year. "Supposed to" being the key words. I'll believe it when I see it. They've got all these terrific TDI's across the globe. I'd buy any Audi with a TDI in a heart-beat.
  • Options
    Nate got a "B4" Passat, I think the TDI was available in 1996...can't remember. The TDI motor is much like the current TDI available in the US right now, with some differences such as different turbo (K03), different oil filtration setup, and some other things.
  • Options
    natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    Mine is a 1996 Passat (picture here - http://tdi.natescape.com ). They were only available in 96 and 97.

I've used varying blends of biodiesel for about 14 months and perhaps 40k miles (long commute). I jumped right in with near b100. I get it delivered in 55-gallon drums by Burke Oil in Chelsea, MA. You can learn more about biodiesel at http://www.biodieselnow.com.
  • Options
    Hi Scott how do you like your TDI wagon . We are thinking about picking up a GLS 5 spd manual
  • Options
    hloadhload Member Posts: 27
    2003 Jetta GL, Silver with 8500 miles. Only minor problem is a intermitten rattle in the headliner. I filled up today and got 49.6 MPG in mixed commute driving. It uses no oil, and everything still works (haha).

I bought a pella oil extractor and change the oil from the topside, will make another one at 10K.

The only accessories I have added are xpel headlight protectors and a weathertec mat for the cargo area.

I think they are a great little car.
  • Options
    ljegljeg Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of a quality aftermarket trip computer to install on a '03 Jetta TDI? The trip computer in my diesel truck is invaluable in increasing MPG, but unfortunately VW doesn't offer this great little device for the Jetta TDI. I understand that the trip computer from the Passat can be installed in the Jetta, but only after removing the dash panel and doing a great deal of wiring. I'm not wild about disassembling and rewiring, so that option isn't viable for me. Any suggestions??
  • Options
    the MFA...also requires a new wiper switch with the MFA controls
  • Options
    I believe you were partially misinformed. What you can install is the European guage cluster, which includes the multi-function computer. It is essentially what you describe though, and it does involve a whole lot of wiring. You may be able to find somebody to help you in your area on a certain TDI related website, the URL is in my profile.
  • Options
    colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    any word on when the TDI is going in the bug convertible?
  • Options
    If I had to guess, I would say never, because it never went in the Cabrio, and it could easily have been put in those. The demographic that wants a high mileage commuter car is usually not intersted in convertibles...

Maybe you could do a conversion!
  • Options
    Bug TDI convertible....who know's. If the diesel market shows something favorable....depending on future TDI sales, Diesel Liberty sales, Diesel E-class sales, etc.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    TDI Convertible is being built in Mexico and exported to Europe. Interesting.
  • Options
    From what I read...the convertible is 2.0L in Europe only so far. Even checking out the UK site, German site, etc, it's 2.0L only
  • Options
    The New Beetle Cabriolet will be available in Germany with a choice of four engines - three petrol engines and one TDI - ranging in power output from 55 kW / 75 bhp to 85 kW / 115 bhp. The top engine can be combined with the new six-speed (Tiptronic) gearbox.
  • Options
    oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    I mistakenly moved a fuse on my sons Jetta tdi it's a 2002, he has the monsoon stereo and now it won't work, I am pretty sure I put the fuse in the wrong place but i can't figure out where the wrong one is. the owners manual is of no help and the MAP on the fuse panel is even less. My son has a shop manual but it is in transit as he is moving. can someone help? thanks, A in trouble MOM
  • Options
    Is it fuse #42???
  • Options
    colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    So with the TDI offered in Europe for this year, will it be likely that it will migrate over to North America?

Ever since we traded my wife's 99 Dark Blue Bug for a Jeep Liberty (for the much needed room and towing), I have had to promise her that I would replace it someday with something more fun.

The bug cabrio TDI is just what I have been waiting for. A 50 mpg fun car.
  • Options
    dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    By brother-in-law is looking for one.
    They've had a Jetta TDI sedan for 1/2 year and want a wagon too. What color, how much, where are you?
  • Options
    eddielifesoneddielifeson Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys, you all were so helpful with my mileage question, I figured I would hit you all up with another one. My dealer told me I should the oil changed every 5000 miles, but the manual states every 10,000. What practice do you all follow with your TDI Jettas?
  • Options
    Change the oil every 10,000 miles and use quality synthetic diesel rated oil. Only the very first oil change is at 5,000 miles.
  • Options
    5,000 oil change
    10,000 oil change
    20,000 oil change
    and so on
  • Options
    Not only must it be a synthetic Diesel-rated oil, it must meet the specs for a Diesel engine with an EGR system. (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

Do not forget that whatever oil you choose to use MUST meet the VW505.00 standard.

Currently, there are 2 choices of oil that meet that requirement available in the USA.

ROTELLA T synthetic
    http://www.rotella.com/rotella_t_synthetic.html

Mobil DELVAC 1
    http://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/Apps/DS/_39gj50ko_/MobilPDS.nsf/26b7- c4b33367a4a086256665004e4266/60d8a76e857b7e71852567b60072913a?Ope- nDocument
  • Options
    I stick with the 10,000 as well. Your dealer is just looking to make some more money off of you, does he really think he knows better than the Volkswagen engineers?
  • Options
    I just did an oil change last weekend and sent an oil test in Monday. I'm running Amsoil series 3000 5W-30 and I had about 13k miles between this change. I normally go 10k but got busy. I'll let you guys know how the oil test comes back with this mileage. Car has about 65k miles on it.
  • Options
    vzh9p7vzh9p7 Member Posts: 24
    I also am going to start doing my own oil changes and rotations; I see the oil brand...but where do you guys get your filters? Any specific brand I should (or shouldn't), use? I'm running a 2003 Jetta GL TDI.
  • Options
    I use a VW filter. You can buy them online or even on ebay for a lot less than what the dealers sell them for (fuel filters as well).
  • Options
    Actually, Rotella and Delvac don't claim to meet the VW 505.00 spec.

If you read the manual

it says something like meeting at least one or more of the following standards:

ACEA B3
    VW 505.00
    API CF-4, CG-4

The Castrol Syntec 5w40 (dealership) meets VW 505.00, but is a CF-rated oil. My co-worker decided to use Syntec 5w50 as it meets VW 505.00 (despite my recommendations of Delvac 1 or Rotella T synthetic).

Valvoline Synpower 5w40 meets ACEA B3 spec, but also a CF oil.
  • Options
    I usually get mine at the dealer for about $7.00, you can get them online at www.parts4vws.com for $6.00 I believe.