Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• Options
    passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    The Freestyle is one of the very few vehicles on the road today that has a five-star side-impact rating even without the side-curtain airbags.
  • Options
    andyadlerandyadler Member Posts: 2
    Well, that sounds definitive. Thanks for the reply. I wonder how much of a compromise it would be, safety-wise, not to have the additional airbags? The Volvo-platform cage seems pretty sturdy by itself. Still, the extra margin provided by the optional airbags would be valuable, I'd think.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This site indicates that Breed Technologies sold aftermarket airbags. They are now Key Safety Systems, Inc. and manufacture airbags but I don't know whether they still do aftermarket work. Perhaps someone can investigate?

tidester, host
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "They are now Key Safety Systems, Inc. and manufacture airbags but I don't know whether they still do aftermarket work. Perhaps someone can investigate? "

The FS is one of the new breed of cars that have a data bus instead of just a computer and lots of wire. The master computer would have to be reprogramed by Ford to account for the airbags. I doubt that Ford would be willing to take the risk.
  • Options
    That's a good point, Steve. Moreover, KSS is a supplier to Ford and there's no way they are going to jeopardize that relationship.

tidester, host
  • Options
    ramj70ramj70 Member Posts: 28
    I'm starting to see quite a few more freestyles in my area now. Where I work I'm the only one with one so far, but all my coworkers really like it and didn't even know about the Freestyle until they saw mine.
  • Options
    indybellindybell Member Posts: 40
    We took our son to swimming lessons last week at the IU outdoor pool in Bloomington, IN. There were some 20 or 30 cars in the lot when we pulled in. The surprising thing was that there were already three other Freestyles in the lot. All LTD's. With our black one, there were 2 blacks, one silver, and a red (merlot). That was quite a surprise for me to see that many in one place (other than a dealer's lot) since, while I am beginning to see more on the highway now, it used to be that I could go weeks and see none. Other that mine, that is.
  • Options
    amb4707amb4707 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if/when Ford plans to offer its stability control system (I think it's called AdvanceTrac) on the FS? Recent article in the Washington Post quoted several people as saying this is the single most automobile important safety feature after seat belts. The feature is available on a lot of upper end cars, including Volvos, but Ford seems to offer it only on its trucks and SUVs.
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I'd LOVE to see some real statistics on how often stability control is actually ENGAGED in a passenger vehicle (non-truck, truck-based SUV).

Trucks/SUVs need stability control because idiots drive them like cars. I'd hate to think how somebody must be driving a normal passenger vehicle (car-based) to need stability control.
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I just returned from a trip from Minneapolis to Washington DC by way of the Historic National Highway. That's US Route 40 from Vandalia IL to Cumberland Maryland. I then drove to DC for some sight seeing, New Jersey to visit friends, and returned home by I-80, I-90 and I-94. My Freestyle ran beautifully! On the way to Vandalia it was HOT, with the A/C on averaged about 23 to 25 MPG. As I learned before, I kept the RPM's under 2000 (1900 RPM = 69 MPH) on the interstate and got 25 to 28 MPG depending on how long, or if at all I ran the A/C. I got as much as 32 MPG while on Rt 40 traveling 60 MPH. The speed limit was 50 to 55 most the way. I've had my Freestyle for 16 months and 14680 miles and couldn't be happier with the performance, dependability and comfort. I'm looking forward to taking many more summer vacation road trip adventures in the future.
  • Options
    northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    Congratulations on your successful Freestyle journey! It sounds like it was enjoyable. Mine is now 19 months old and still doing great. I haven't taken it North to Duluth yet, but if it stays hot, I am tempted. :shades:
  • Options
    vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    Since we're talking about trips, we took a trip on 395 historic highway. It included a climb to Mount Whitney 8300+ft.
    In the 444 miles trip we averaged 23.5 MPG. Cruise set to 70 or 75 on our way back (slight descent). I am happy with that.
    The only problem was that the engine breaking does not work ok in this FS and thus I was worried about coming back down from the mountain. Brakes do fade quickly in this one.
    However when the engine reached 4200 RPM the throttle finally closed and I had all the breaking I needed.
    Did anyone else find the switch at the end of the acceleration pedal travel? You have to rest your foot on the entire acceleration pedal with your heel on the floor and press down with the tip of your shoe. At the end of the travel you’ll feel a switch being pressed – it wakes up the engine! It’s ALIVE!
  • Options
    sunking247sunking247 Member Posts: 2
    I am so in love with my new Ford Freestyle, I picked up a 2005 in the Merlot color. For years I always wanted to buy a Subaru Outback wagon because i appreciated its rugged styling, practical bump-resistant fenders, and roomy interior. But I felt uncomfortable spending money on a foreign car especially with our country at war. So you can imagine how thrilled I was that Ford began making their own version of the Outback! I saw it as I was driving my boring SUV to work the other day and just thought it was another Subaru Outback, yet lo and behold it was a Ford! I have driven it every day since I bought it, and while I live in Colorado where we get 300 days of sunshine a year, it's nice to know that I have a car that can tackle the mountains and snow too! :blush::blush::blush:
  • Options
    freestylewagonfreestylewagon Member Posts: 2
    I agree, I feel better driving a car that has Subaru's sensible features and All-Wheel Drive performance yet is American Made. At least I'm not taking jobs away from fellow Americans. I also like that it is more Americanized i.e.: it's bigger and consumes more fuel. Just like the way we like our food! Ha! Take that environmentalists!
  • Options
    indybellindybell Member Posts: 40
    I believe that Subaru's assembly plant is here in the Midwest in Lafayette, IN.
  • Options
    My salesman told me about the switch and how you have to really press the pedal down and it will move, and yes it will move when you need it. I've never had a problem when I needed to pass or accelerate, this engine is more than enough.
  • Options
    You make a common mistake in assuming that the Outback gets better mileage. The 4-cylinder blown Outback has an EPA of 19/24 and only seats 4 people. The 6-cylinder Freestyle AWD also has an EPA of 19/24, but seats 6 or even 7. Since the Freestyle has so much more room inside it, you cannot really compare the two directly.

On your other point... you probably meant to say that Ford is an American company, and that Subaru is a company that sends it's profits back to the land of the rising sun. I too prefer to invest in America.
  • Options
    rosie6512rosie6512 Member Posts: 1
    Uhhhh, Subaru is made in the United States. As a matter of fact, I work for a vendor on-site at the facility in Lafayette, IN. Yes, some of the parts come from overseas, but that is true for almost ANY vehicle manufacturer - even Ford. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ford...bought a Ranger new in 1992 and still have it - it has been a great truck. Bought a 2005 Freestyle yesterday and I love it too. I just wanted to set the record straight with the "foreign" car thing.
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Has anyone found suitable, good looking, well fitting seat covers? I searched the net and found some, but wanted to check before purchasing any sight unseen. The best looking I've found are Covercraft Seat Gloves for $149.95 at autobarn.com and $147.79 at autosupermart.com.
  • Options
    freestylewagonfreestylewagon Member Posts: 2
    I know, it's just that Subaru sounds so foreign. I never understood how a Japanese care company could name their car after the Australian Outback. Ford Freestyle seems to make much more sense as the name for an outback-style car.
  • Options
    In covering the exploits of Mel Gibson, a reporter (for NBC, I think) was standing on the Pacific Coast Highway in Santa Monica to show where Mel was pulled over. A blue Freestyle was in the shot for quite a few seconds since the camera was aimed at oncoming traffic. Just an observation. :shades:
  • Options
    This is a bit off topic.. but how in the world could someone in his position be so dumb. It's hard to understand.
  • Options
    It's hard to understand.

Indeed! But let's not go there. We'll stick to the designated topic here. :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    mgreen1mgreen1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a console for the second row that they hve taken out that they dont want anymore. I need the gray one. If so let me know how much you want for it.
  • Options
    jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    well I have 26000 miles on mine now with no problems and I have driven up from the cities to Duluth several times (worked OK up there too!!)
    Freestyle has been ideal Minnesota car--fairly thrifty great in ice and snow, big enough to stick in a small Kayack
  • Options
    Congratulations! It is good to hear you still enjoy your Freestyle and that it has been good to you. :shades:
  • Options
    stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    My 06 Freestyle suffered about $3000 in panel damage on July 9th due to a moderate hail storm - mostly hood and roof but also front fenders and roof rails.

Well, it got hit again on Aug 9th with a bit heavier hail storm and now looks like someone took a ballpeen hammer to it - hood, roof, doors, fenders all the trim on the doors, maybe more, haven't fully assessed damage yet. The only good thing is that I didn't have the car fixed from the first storm when the second hit.

It is clear that the panels are somewhat thin on this vehicle and very susceptible to this damage. The insurance appraiser commented on this as well.

Just a heads up - if hail in the area, get the car in the garage or undercover somewhere.
  • Options
    Where do you live that it hails so often?
  • Options
    Where do you live that it hails so often?

Calgary area - Alberta. This year seems particularly bad but hail is not unusual along with the evening summer thunderstorms on hot days. Usually comes in over the Rockies - come in fast and over in a few minutes.

Its usually not too bad, small hail, thunderstorms, a few funnel clouds but at least no hurricanes or earthquakes.

The reason I comment on the Freestyle panels is that my 99 V70 was parked beside it both times with no damage (except the hail broke the glass in both door mirrors - strange)
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "It is clear that the panels are somewhat thin on this vehicle and very susceptible to this damage. The insurance appraiser commented on this as well."

Oh, I don't know. I had a 1973 AMC Gremlin with hail damage (West Texas). That car had very thick skin. However, I think that modern cars do have less thickness to the skin. I had a 1997 Toyota Sienna, and I closed the hatch one day and it didn't quite close. So I bumped it with my hip - and it put a dent in the cargo door!

Thin skin is the price you pay for better MPG...
  • Options
    Thin skin is the price you pay for better MPG...

But I can't plan my travelling around the unpredictable thunderstorms and hail that comes with it in the summer here.

But your right, it gets great gas mileage hiding under the blankets. ;)
  • Options
    With Ford's announcement this morning (Aug 18) that they will once again slash output "to match production and inventories with consumer demand".. one might ask just how much longer Ford will continue to ask each dealership to carry:

1) the Escape
    2) the Freestyle
    3) the Edge (appearing soon)
    4) the Explorer

The dealership I purchased my '05 Freestyle from has only two Freestyle's on it's lot. They're both '07 models that have been sitting there since early June. No takers for the vehicle and no effort by the dealership to promote them. In contrast, this same dealership has 47 Escapes and 57 Explorers in stock. There is practically zero support from dealerships in my area for this very fine and sensible alternative to an SUV. To add further insult.. when Ford finally gets around to creating a TV commercial about the Freestyle, it's more about divorce and a man tragically separated from his own children than anything else. (Nice goin' Ford. Creates a real positive spin about the vehicle.. don't ya think?) I don't know how much longer the Freestyle will survive in Ford's line-up. But I do know that it will eventually be a case study in how a company can best suppress it's own promising young into a state of near oblivion.
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    That can join the Lincoln LS case study.
  • Options
    mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I have a 2005 FS Limited AWD w/Pirelli P6 tires (225-60-HR18). They have a treadwear rating of 400, but at a bit over 25K miles, they are showing some serious wear and will need to be replaced soon. I don't want to go with the same tires due to their poor wear pattern.

I have checked the TireRack site and the only similar size tire is the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread. I want a tire that is quiet, long lasting (at least 40K miles) and will provide good, safe handling.

Have any other FS owners replaced the Pirelli P6 tires with something better?

Thanks in advance for any/all input.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • Options
    lenwoodrufflenwoodruff Member Posts: 17
    Same with mine. They were worn out after 24K. I put on Goodyear Assurance that have a 700 (80K) treadware on them. I got mine from Discount Tire and paid $162 ea.
  • Options
    rcasticrcastic Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Five Hunded Limited that had the Pirelli P6's on and had two tires go bad at 22,000 miles. I replaced all tires with the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread and could not be more satisfied. My car is my office and I often take customers out for lunches and other entertainments. One customer who has a Lexus 430 and has ridden in my car both before and after the tire change commented last week on how now my 500 ride is extremely close to his Lex 430. That made my day.

Go ahead, put on the Goodyears, you will be very satisfied and your family will be safer.
    Also, I got my tires through my Ford dealer and paid $155.00 each for everything (taxes, balancing, etc.).
  • Options
    I have noticed on my Limited AWD 2005 Freestyle that under hard breaking the brakes seem to fade and feel soft. Anyone else have any problems like this?
  • Options
    Please describe "Hard Braking".

A) A hard stop from high speed?
    B) Repeated brake applications, as in down hill?
    3) Other
  • Options
    blue05blue05 Member Posts: 42
    Yes , I just returned from a 1300 mile trip and notice longer stopping distants . This seems to be more apparent at speeds over 50 and after long highway runs . I just made my 1st appointment after 11 months of ownership , and after 12 month or 18,000 miles Ford can charge you for the little things;"pads or turning rotors". When I explained to the service advisor about all of the brake dust on the rear wheels he said "that this is odd and to bring it in. He told me in most cases the front brakes do 70% of the stopping and 30% in the rear . He also stated replacing front pads are 2 to 1 times more common then the rear.
  • Options
    saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    passat_2002 wrote:
    To add further insult.. when Ford finally gets around to creating a TV commercial about the Freestyle, it's more about divorce and a man tragically separated from his own children than anything else. (Nice goin' Ford. Creates a real positive spin about the vehicle.. don't ya think?)

-----------------------------
    I also get a bad feeling in my stomach when I watch that commercial. My wife and I saw it last night and she said, "Is that going to be us in a few years?" Yikes!

Interesting thing is more than 50% of people in this country get divorced at some time in their lives. Maybe Ford is onto something here.

And regarding the death of the Freestyle... I don't see it. Ford knows crossovers are the direction of the future in this era of high fuel costs even if your local dealership hasn't woken up to that fact yet.

- Chad
  • Options
    Thanks for your input (and Lenwoodruff too) regarding tire replacement. I checked with my local Ford dealer and they can order the Goodyear Assurance and install them for a price similar to what you noted. I referenced the Consumer Reports from Nov '05 and they rated that tire OK. I do hope the car will still handle well as I drive in a somewhat spirited manner.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • Options
    So what do you plan to do? I might take it to an independent. I have never trusted that the dealerships give you the straight story without adding a lot of extras. It is like if it is less than $500 they don't want to do it.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    blue05blue05 Member Posts: 42
    First I will see what action is taken by the dealership on Wed ,if they state this is normal when the pads wear out I will change over to ceramic brake pads . I read this article about brake dust and had no idea that it was corrosive .link title</brake dust
  • Options
    Greetings:

I am having the Pirelli P6 tires replaced on my '05 FS Limited AWD w/Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads on Thursday. The service advisor mentioned an alignment. I stated that the car drives smooth - no pulling, virbration or wandering under any circumstance. Is it really necessary to have the car aligned with the installation of new tires as I have no handling issues? As the car is AWD, I am under the impression that if an alignment is required, then both the front and rear wheels are aligned, not just the front.

Whatever the outcome, I do hope the Goodyears will last a lot longer than the 25K miles the Pirellis did.

I discovered that Goodyear is offering a $40.00 cash card for purchasing 4 of the Comfortreads so that certainly lessens the monetary impact a bit.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • Options
    Look at the wear pattern on the Pirellis. If no evidence of unequal inside to outside edge tread wear, don't mess with the alignment ... as long as same size tires are installed.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Wait to consider an alignment after you have driven with the new tires for a bit. If you have good directional stability and your steering wheel is straight on a flat road, an alignment may not be necessary. i have had some good alignments screwed up by incompetent people.
  • Options
    Good point.
  • Options
    i have had some good alignments screwed up by incompetent people.

Consider sharing your stories here: Customer Service: The good, the bad and the ugly!

tidester, host
  • Options
    From the NY Times.
    Ford, Like G.M., Is Looking at Alliances
    By MICHELINE MAYNARD

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 23 &#151; The Ford Motor Company is evaluating the prospects for new alliances with other automakers, people who have been briefed on Ford&#146;s activities said today.

Ford&#146;s chief executive, William Clay Ford Jr., is in charge of these efforts, these people said. As part of the process, they said, Mr. Ford spoke recently with Carlos Ghosn, the chief executive of Nissan of Japan and Renault of France, who is involved in similar alliance discussions with General Motors; that conversation was also reported in The Wall Street Journal today.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks.

Investors appeared pleased by the news that Mr. Ford and Mr. Ghosn had spoken. Ford shares rose 28 cents in noon trading to $7.78 a share.

Mr. Ghosn&#146;s discussions with General Motors concern a three-way alliance proposed by G.M.&#146;s biggest shareholder, Kirk Kerkorian. Teams from G.M., Renault and Nissan are looking at various ties among the companies, and are due to decide by mid-October whether to move forward.

The conversation between Mr. Ford and Mr. Ghosn was described as perfunctory, part of a broader effort by Mr. Ford to determine which companies, if any, would be suitable for alliances with his auto company, the people briefed on the company&#146;s actions said.

They stressed that Ford has not had anything resembling formal discussions with other auto companies. But they added that Ford also has been approached informally by some of its competitors to see if it would consider an alliance.

&#147;There is outreach of all kinds &#151; it&#146;s not just Ford talking to people, it&#146;s people talking to one another,&#148; a person with knowledge of the conversations said. &#147;You have to be prepared, and game things out in a lot of ways.&#148;

This person declined to say which auto companies were involved, but added, &#147;At this point, it is all really, really preliminary.&#148;

Mr. Ford is taking the lead role in the evaluations because of their strategic nature. If the company decided to begin conversations about a deal, Mr. Ford could be expected to draw on the expertise of Kenneth Leet, the former Goldman Sachs and Bank of America executive whom Mr. Ford recently hired as an advisor.

So far, the evaluations are not taking up much of Mr. Ford&#146;s time. His greater priority, these people said, is Ford&#146;s restructuring efforts in North America, where the company is preparing an expanded version of a turnaround plan called the Way Forward.

Ford is expected to roll out details of the broader plan next month. The original plan, unveiled in January, called for Ford to close 14 factories and eliminate 30,000 jobs through 2012.

Since then, Ford has reportedly roughly $1.5 billion in losses for 2005; cut its dividend in half; and said it would reduce production by 21 percent in the fourth quarter. The cuts were the biggest at Ford since the early 1980&#146;s.

Alliances are nothing new to Ford. It has management control of Mazda, it operates a joint venture with Peugeot to produces diesel engines, and it licenses hybrid-electric vehicle technology from Toyota.
  • Options
    And just what does any of this have to do with my Freestyle, ramj70?