Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Kia Sorento

Comments

• Options
    phoenixriderphoenixrider Member Posts: 34
    Sounds like a good deal, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but 'corporate vehicle' is sometimes code speak for lemon buy back. You may to research the vehicle history yourself, before it's too late.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    gchua - I also recommend the ABS. I am sure you can find the one with the color that you like and with ABS if you can wait or try somewhere else.
  • Options
    netcamnetcam Member Posts: 30
    If that's what it is, starting in 2nd gear ... ok but seems odd to me why that would be of any help in snow and winter driving conditions.
    Normally you would want to start off in a low gear on snow and ice for traction.
    Also, if it does upshift to top gear as per normal, then I guess gas mileage may not really be affected, unless higher rpm's are required to get moving from a stop.
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    For off roading you want a low gear (low range) to improve your torque multiplication when going over obstacles or up steep slopes. The low range also keeps your speed down, especially when going down slopes.

The theory behind starting in second gear on snow or ice is to reduce the tendency for wheelspin. This is because in general static friction (when a wheel is sliding) is lower than dynamic friction (when a wheel is hooked up). However, in deep snow there may be times when sliding a tire may help you.

Therefore, a good 4wd vehicle will have both capabilities, depending upon what you are driving through.
  • Options
    dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    viewers & hosts. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Duncan
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks Duncan. It was especially nice of you to say that to the dealers who hang out over in Any Questions for a Car Dealer? too :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    phoenixriderphoenixrider Member Posts: 34
    How many of those Sorento owners have had an opportunity to do some more serious off roading? Rock crawling, steep grades, etc... Where you would also need 4 low?

I was out 'playing' in my backyard (I've got hundreds of acres of state land plus the Tonto Nat'l Forrest next to me) here in Arizona, going through some pretty rough washes, over some larger rocks, up some pretty steep and loose hills, and I got to say, that the KIA performed admirably (that is, didn't get stuck once) Did get a few 'Arizona pinstripes' - but hey, this is a off road vehicle, after all.

Just want to know if others have played with their KIA's yet, and also, have you done any mods to improve the off road capabilities - like larger tires, shocks, etc...
  • Options
    stumpf2000stumpf2000 Member Posts: 23
    I have seen in a couple places that people can get a buy price via the web rather than going to the dealer....if so, how can I look into that?

THANKS!
  • Options
    Hello-

I am in the market for a small SUV and had originally been just looking at used Libertys and 2002 or 2003 Grand Cherokees. I have also test driven a VUE, CRV, and Element. I test drove the Sorento almost on a lark, but had seen them being driven around and have thought that they were one of the most attractive SUVs out there! So, I went in for a drive and I like the dealer. All positives so far.

I test drove a Ruby Red LX 4x4 with a manual(sport package). I loved the feel. Interior seemed almost on par with my buddies VW Jetta--of course not AS good... Anyway, the thing that kept going through my head was that IT IS A KIA and I dont have a good impression of them (no first had experience)--Korean design has always been ugly to me, except for now. I kept thinking what will I feel having to look down at the steering wheel everyday and see KIA and not something like HONDA or JEEP? This is a major concern for me since i (unfortunatly) tend to get hung up on 'image' things and for some odd reason feel that a Jeep or Honda "Badge" would look better. Now, as far as feedback here, no need to tell me I am stupid or anything, but I would like to hear from people who maybe can relate. I guess car is image a lot of times and I like my vehicle to be an EXPRESSION of me :)

Anyway in addition/aside from this, after having looked and test driven others, the Kia is moving up on my list (cost is a big variable) but really would like some feedback from people who have driven them.

Concerns that I have:
    1. Gas milage on this seems terrible LOW! It seems on par with an Explorer and Ranier! What seems even odder is that the manual has lower ratings than the auto. Any thoughts/comments on this? How much are people spending at the pump? BTW, I live in Illinois.

2. I like the idea of a manual, but like the look of the two tone EX. Of course that adds a lot to the price so I thought about getting a 4x2 EX. What are people's thoughts to not having 4 wheel drive on this vehicle. Also, what are people's thoughts about having the manual? I am kinda caught on this one...

3. Is ABS somthing i need in this vehicle? I read parts of this thread that referenced this topic, but am not sure my dealer has the ABS on the wehicle. Seems like with this hefty machine ABS would be good. My parents Volvo that I have been driving sure benefits from it.

4. RESALE value. I have heard terrible things about the Sportage. Now, I know that this IS NOT the Sportage, but I have had to look at it to get an estimate of how much Kia SUVs tend to depreciate. I would like to be able to trade in 3 years and dont want to have negative equity!

5. The 'image' concerns I addressed above...

Anyway, I would appreciate all feedback and your honest opinions to the issues that I have raised. I want to make an informed decision!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE! -Steve
  • Options
    Got an earful at the Jeep forum....is Kia really in danger of 1 going bankrupt or 2 losing the name plate and being subsumed under a different name.

ONE HUGE THING with me is that i do not want to get a new car and have it be dated in a year or two. How old will an 04 sorento look in 3 years?

THANKS!
  • Options
    One way to get quotes is with the Dealer Quotes service on the main Edmunds.com page - it's also linked off the New Cars page.

You can also get an idea about resale value by looking at the Edmunds Maintenance Guide under the depreciation column for the SUVs you are interested in.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    gchuagchua Member Posts: 14
    Hi Steve,

I was the one that posted about the ABS or Manual issue - ended up taking the manual. Here are some thoughts on your questions.

1) Image - the other car I was looking at was a maroon 2001 Land Rover Discovery with 51k miles -I know what you mean! The thing with the Disco, after test driving a good number of them - I know exactly where you can expect rattles, things to come loose, etc... I figured, image would just be a headache... For the Kia, the looks is what I think makes up for the nameplate... Most people won't know its a Kia... As for comparing to a Honda - you do have the warranty to cover things... Even then, overall build quality of the car feels very good... As for comparing to a Jeep Liberty - the Kia rides much quieter/smoother on the highway, provides more interior space... Though obviously will not be as competent a hard core offroader...

2) ABS - tough call... there are no sport editions (manuals) out there with ABS - I looked everywhere in New England... with a manual, I do feel more in control (I can engine brake when needed)... also, brakes are very progressive and provide great feedback for modulation... rule of thumb, just keep your distance to the next car! Also, the cheapest LX I could find with ABS (also very rare to find) cost $1,000plus more than the LX sport because the autobox adds $1700... I figure, when I upgrade in 3 years (hopefully, they'll have a monotone EX, 5 speed loaded up with everything available by then - with ABS standard!)

3) Manual - Sorento has a very light clutch... Very easy to drive and hard to stall...

4) Depending on where you live, a 4X2 could be just fine... In New England, its good to have for sure (even though in my previous truck (a Trooper) I engaged it maybe 4 times in an entire year)...

5) As for the bankruptcy thing - yup, that was true, but that is old story. Kia was bought by Hyundai and has actually been doing a good job turning itself around. There is now a lot of overlap between Hyundai and Kia cars. As for the Sorento, its drivetrain is based on the Mitsubishi Pajero (known as Montero in the US). Kia designed its own ladder frame which appears quite rigid.

Goodluck!
  • Options
    I appreciate your thoughts! It is nice to know you seriously were considering somthing like a Land Rover! And you picked the Kia, that says something!!!!

I live in North Central Illinois and the ABS and 4-wheel would be good in the winter at times. However, seems as though our winters have been getting more Oklahoma like and have not had too much probles with the harsh snow.

The only way the car will go off road is if I were to go into a ditch. Maybe the 4x4 is not as needed.

Will the manual and (possibly lack of 4`x4 affect resale greatly in 3 years?
  • Options
    I tried to follow the link to the maintenance guide and did sucessfully, but could not find anything on resale...where do i find that column you mentioned?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    Just as an FYI I was looking at a Toyota Highlander & Jeep Grand Cherokee as my other finalists when I chose my Sorento EX 4X4 with ABS & Lux. pkg in April. I have over 12k miles and zero problems so far.
    On resale value it's still too early too tell. The folks like me who buy Sorentos are either planning on running them for several years so the resale value isn't that big a deal or betting on the come that by the time the Sorento has been out several years it will overcome the KIA "stigma" and be a decent resale value.
    I don't regret my decision for a minute and the vast majority of Sorento owners I would guess feel the same way.

Duncan
  • Options
    cactusjackcactusjack Member Posts: 5
    1- Gas Mileage. This is a truck based SUV. Get over it. Buy a Civic if you want gas mileage. The KIA is about the same as any other real SUV.

2 - Tranny. IMO, skip the manual. You mentioned resale value, it'll be much better with the auto. Mileage doesn't really improve with the manual, either.

3 - ABS. If you drive alot in the snow, probably a good investment. Also, again, should help with resale.

4 - Resale. The real question is, who knows? The Sorento is all new. Been getting rave reviews overseas, and some here. Depends how well they really hold up, how much KIA stands behind thier product, and if they sell well and become popular.

5 - Image. IMO, one of the best looking small/mid SUV's out there. The Infinity/Murano - wierd. You either like it or hate it. Pilot/Highlander/CRV/RAV4/Escape-Tribute? Yawn City. Land Rovers are in a class of thier own. Jeeps will always be Jeeps. Either you want a Jeep or you don't. I think the KIA will be way more reliable than any Jeep, BUT, if you are really into offroading, the Jeep is probably better not so much for it's capibilities, but availble upgrade parts and support.

My '04 Sorenot is 2 months old and I have 4k miles on it (yikes!). Not one problem. I have even taken it truly off road a few times, and the thing not only held its own, but came back out rattle free. (a few pics here - http://www.friendshiking.com/photos/10304/verdeRiver1.htm) This is one fine machine. BUT, getting any sort of upgraded suspension parts, shocks, etc... will be super difficult at this time.

One thing you need to decide is if you want a car based SUV - a general grocery getter and smooth dirt road rider, or if you would like a truck based SUV with some decent off road capibilities, towing capcity (5k pounds, not the 3.5k listed by KIA), etc.. Apple and oranges here.
  • Options
    These are some good comments and I appreciate them. One thing that was called to my attention is garage space! My S40 is snug in there now, but doable. The Sorento is 6 inches wider and longer... the jeep is smaller... Anyway, this will not affect my decison too much, but it is a consideration.

BTW, your Sorento looked cool with the mud look!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • Options
    Thanks Tides - I think the depreciation column corresponds to purchase price minus value after 1 to 5 years. So a car with worse trade-in value with cost more to own and operate.

If you drive them forever (7 to 10 years or more), depreciation becomes much less of an issue, since few ten year old cars are worth much of anything on trade.

But if you like to trade every 3 years, then you'll take a bigger financial hit with a car that depreciates fast.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I followed your link and still do not see anything about the depreciation stuff. I priced a car, but cant find it. I must be missing it... thanks
  • Options
    It's me that's the idiot; instead of actually following my link, I went boarding.

Try this one :-)

True Cost to Own

Steve, Host
    (I know this site like the back of my hand, lol)
  • Options
    That is an AWESOME tool!
  • Options
    sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    yeah, when I looked at a CRV and I told the Honda salesperson I am going to check out Sorento because they didn't meet my price and budget. He tried to give me the speech about the resale value on the Honda (which btw, I am well aware of. My family owns many Hondas in the past).
    Anyway, I told him that I don't trade cars, I drive until the wheels fall off and he had nothing else to say. Long story short, I saw and I liked it right away after the test drive and I purchased a Sorento LX for $2,000 less than the CRV :) And I love it.
  • Options
    I am taking the Sorento to the dealer tomorrow and add keyless entry and alarm. The dealer is only charging me $200 for both. Is that a good deal?
  • Options
    You must talking about the aftermarket system, right? I think the price is reasonable. Your local stereo store or even Best Buy are probably save you few bucks. I am going to get a alarm system plus remote starter installed for around $350.
  • Options
    No, I am not getting aftermarket keyless entry and alarm. I am going back to Kia and get the Kia system to put on.
    $200 for both keyless entry and alarm, I guess that's pretty good.
  • Options
    Maybe I am wrong. I still have doubt about it because there is no keyless entry on LX and only EX with keyless entry but with no alarm. I wonder because your sales person told you Kia made stereo system on your Sorento too. Would that be difficult to install the system after leaving the factory plant? It looks like the system must be factory installed. Anyway, the price is good if it is really a Kia OEM part, consider over $100 retail price for just one remote key chain. I mean aftermarket for $200 is still good.
  • Options
    Well, I have the LX model and keyless entry was an option and it was not included with the car we purchased. At first, he asked me if I wanted to add it for an extra $250. I said I will think about it and check other aftermarket keyless entry and alarm.
    And then we found out that one of the speaker was bad when we purchased the car. I called him about that and asked for a better deal on the keyless entry because the hassle I have to go through with the speaker. Plus, I told him I wanted to add alarm too and wanted him to find out how much to do both. He then came back with this $200 to add both.
    You are right. Alarm is not an option on the EX nor the LX, but my dealer will install it.
  • Options
    horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    The 3500lbs towing capacity for the Sorento is a misprint. The Sorento is factory rated for 5000lbs towing. Read your literature careful and you will see the confusion. Good luck.
    Horst1
  • Options
    sonnyrocker, $250 for keyless entry alone is a ripoff! It's no more than a simple 10 to 15 minute job to program the right code for the key fob. Kia also does not have their own alarm system, your dealer would be sending it out to a local aftermarket installer that they have made an agreement with. The only plus with that is they will have done other Kia vehicles and should have no problems with the install.
    And your speaker problem should have been no hassle with the warranty!
    Sounds to me like your dealer has been giving you some kind of run around.
    The cost for an aftermarket starter/alarm system can vary widely, it depends on the quality of system in terms of range of unit, lcd display remote vs non-display, frequency used (am/fm/uhf etc). And by far the easiest thing to do on them is program the button to do keyless entry, open rear glass, etc.
  • Options
    lilac0422lilac0422 Member Posts: 51
    I need to get my tires rotated on an EX TOD 4wd . Should I include my spare in the rotation? There is a picture in the manual that shows both ways.
  • Options
    I did it at around 10,000 miles (now 14K) for the first time. I should have this done at every 6 to 7K miles like the manual suggested. My dealer said just 4 tires and leave the spare tire alone.
    We have TOD but it is still RWD. I think it is 80% rear and 20% front on dry pavement. We still need to rotate the tire to make them last longer.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    but with TOD you also need to rotate them to keep them withing 1/4" rolling circumference so that the TOD clutch packs do not overheat. It is actually MORE important on AWD cars to rotate than on 2wd ones.

-mike
  • Options
    lilac0422lilac0422 Member Posts: 51
    My dealer rotated the tires only front to back without the crossover that is recommened in the manual. Is that okay? Thanks for the help. Lok, my dealer stressed how important it is to get my tires rotated every 6000 or so miles. I waited until 10000. I had no idea it was so important. I guess I will pay more attention to miles next time.
  • Options
    finist2000finist2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody!
    I've just bought an beige LX with bumper guard, side bars, dash board and a new grill (this one from Germany). Pictures to follow. My decision was greatly influenced by this forum, so thanks for your posts. I'm gonna pick her up next Saturday and I wonder, what things I have to check before driving home if any?
  • Options
    finist2000 - Congrats! You should find a lot good information and driving tips from the owner manual, particular the run in period at the first 500 miles. Your sales person should explain everything to you during the delivery. Enjoy it.

lilac0422 - I still don't know the tire rotation suggestion from the manufacturer. It seems the left and right tires have the same tread. I think front to rear should be fine. There is no need for left to right unless you have a different tires size.
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Either way is acceptable. Whether you choose to get the spare in the mix is a personal preference.

I prefer the cross-rotation myself. Years ago when radial tires were still a new thing, you couldn't change from side to side because of certain "wear patterns" the tire would pick up on one side which would be detrimental to the other (i.e. possible alignment problems).

Since radials are now the norm and suspension systems have been developed for them - and tire technology had advanced - this is no longer a worry. Remember in the mid-late 70s Pontiac advertised "Radial Tuned Suspension"? You guessed it, it was set up just for radial tires!

Deke
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I have rotated the tires on my Sorento with TOD 3 times now just front to back and visa versa with no problems. Having had a Forester befoer I even get anal and run a string around the circumferance of the tire to check and make sure that the 1/4 rule is ok. Paisan is correct on this, it can wreck havoc on the diffys if not adherred to. On the spare, when I rotate I lower it and sparay the hell of of the rubber with UV blocker type, like 301 Protectant. I do this so the rubber doesn't fade and crack and I usually add in extra air to the spared around 40 psi, cause its not to often if you really think of adding air to it. This should protect the tire and slow down any dry rot to the rubber. I also give a good waxing to the wheel so the salt used on the roads now dosent harm it to much.
  • Options
    Good suggestion on spare tire maintenance. I will play around a little when the weather gets warm here.
  • Options
    Make sure that after you fill the gas tank, close the gas cap tightly at least more than 3 clicks. If not, air leaks in and your engine light will stay on. It is going to be difficult to get the engine light to go off once it is on.

Second, check everything. Check the speakers by testing it with some bass. Check the cruise control.

Don't race the engine. Drive at various speed as often as possible to break the engine in. Warm up your car before you drive.

About rotating tires. I must have missed the post. Why is it important to rotate according to the recommendation? I usually rotate the tires when they need to be rotate and that's it.
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I'm in the market and the Sorento is one of my choices and have a few questions. What is the rpm of the engine going 70mph and 80mph? What is the maintenance schedule and is it costly to get done? How does the de-icer things on the wipers work, and is it effective? Does that big plastic thing on top of the engine hinder access to components under the hood? I know this is all stuff I could figure out at the dealer, but the closest dealer is over an hour away and have only had time to go on a Sunday when the dealer was closed. Thanks for any information.
  • Options
    mr_bots - I think the rpm is near 3K at 70 to 80 mph. For the maintenance schedule, I have done several oil changes at every 3000 miles and tire rotation & balance for a reasonable price at dealer. The windshield de-icer (also with the heated side mirrors) works great. I have no problem with the engine cover on. It is for reduce some engine noise or cosmetic purpose for the engine components. You will find a bit difficult when changing headlights. There is a little space for my hands to reach the bulbs with the fuse box at the driver's side and air filter box at the passenger's side. I simple removed the headlight lens assemble when putting some super white bulbs. By the way, what model that you are interested in?
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    the rotation is important in many ways but for a 4WD or AWD vehicle it is important that no tire be greater the 1/4 inch in circumferance that the other tire on the other side on the same axle. Belive it or not this puts a considerable strain on the differentials and can cause wear and damage. This is where the tire places get you. Example if you get a flat that is unrepairable and you need a new tire and the new tire is 1/4" greater than the tire on the other side this is taboo. You almost have to buy them in pairs so left and right is the same. With 4WD it isn't so critical but it can cause damage also.
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation.

I've had a Toyota Rav4 for a long time. I only rotated the tires when there are wears on certain tires and never stick to the maintenance schedule. I never had problems with it.
    However, with that being said, I always buy tires in pairs and rotate them.
    As for the Sorento, mine is 4x2 so that's not a problem at all then, right?
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Thank you for your response, right now I'm thinking about the LX with ABS and Alloy Wheels, or an EX with ABS, whichever one I get depends on what kind of deal the dealer offers. Also is there somewhere to order a kit that replaces the wood grain on the dash and doors, I've searched some on the internet but haven't found anything and I don't really want the wood, I'd rather have the black but I'd like to have the sunroof and keyless entry that aren't on the option list for the LX
  • Options
    jdesjardinsjdesjardins Member Posts: 24
    on 2004 LX.... Found the dome switch on the dome light asembly above.... rear passsenger seats. Now the light come on when the front doors are openned !!!

Dealer charge me $16.50 to fix the hood release. I complained and they said it was a mistake !
    Money was refunded.

LX started this morning at minus -27F... yep -27F! Transmission and tires were stiff but so was I.

I called Kia Canada today about the bicycle sized mud guards on the 2004 LX... they told me design... considerations were a factor not just pratical needs :-(

Doesn't look like this is going to be recall material !! I now need 2 sets ($40 each) of mud guards to keep the muck of the side panels. I am just waiting to get my satisfaction questionnaire from Kia !!!!!! The rest is fine ! Futur buyers beware
  • Options
    jdesjardins,
    the customer satisfaction survey from Kia Canada will have a question asking you what you dislike most about the vehicle ... I said the 'non-functioning MUDGUARDS!' and that they were replaced within the first week of ownership with some real ones.

mr_bots,
    As already said, about 3000 rpm for 70mph.
    The wiper deicer is actually a defrost filament along the bottom of the windshield, not attached to the wiper blades. It seems to work ok but I notice the wipers sit a bit lower than the main defrost line and consequently ice buildup doesn't really melt off the blades. The feature does more to assist in defrosting the windshield quickly, IMO.
    That engine cover also helps to heat the engine up quicker (and interior) in the cold temps. Haven't had to work under the hood, so don't know if it affects access in any way, but have also not had any problems with it.
  • Options
    mac9902mac9902 Member Posts: 4
    I know that there is a separate price paid and buying experience topic, but that thread doesn't see that traffic this one does.

Anyway, I've been negotiating with several Kia dealers in the Sacramento area for an 04 EX 4WD with luxury package, ABS, and spoiler. The lowest quote I have so far is $25,515 after rebate.

How does that sound?
  • Options
    etze_etze_ Member Posts: 24
    I test drove an 04 EX 4wd with luxury package,ABS with out the spoiler. I am not looking to buy yet but the dealer offered without any negotiating invoice minus any rebate , which would be $25,005. I don't know the invoice cost of the spoiler but it sounds like you are close to dealer invoice.
     I hope this helps.
  • Options
    That's why I purchased the LX. I don't care for the wood looking plastics. I don't like leather seats either. I personally can do without the sunroof, to avoid problems later when the car gets old. You can add the keyless entry to the LX model. Wheel and deal with the dealer. How often do you go 4-wheeling? or drive in really bad weather? Are the roads clean up pretty good during snow? If your answer is 'no' to these questions, like me, then you should get an LX.
    In fact, if you can find a 2003 LX, you get $2,000 rebate.