Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I just bought an $800 death trap and it's going to cost $800 to fix it. Toyota Corolla.

ryanmonacoryanmonaco Member Posts: 4
edited October 2014 in Toyota
so, I bought THIS 1990 COROLLA and the seller lost the power steering fluid cap and stuffed a rag in it... Didn't notice anything wrong when test driving, but on the way home when I got up to 60MPH, I would turn the wheel but the car wouldn't turn... It was terrifying. I almost died twice.

Took it to a mechanic, he drove it and looked under the hood and said because of not having that cap, power steering fluid probably leaked out onto the Rack and Pinion and my bushings are bad. His estimate is $742

So now I'm in a catch 22 where I even can't drive to work to make the money I need to pay that bill. Even if I bought used parts on eBay and had an amateur mechanic install them, I still won't have wheels for 5-10 days. This is what my brain is telling me to do:

1. Go get a power steering fluid cap.
  2. Drain and replace power steering fluid.
  3. Hose down the rack and pinion assembly with water.
  4. Purchase used rack and pinion on eBay.
  5. Attempt to install or find amateur mechanic.

So we went from bad bushings to replace all this stuff. I don't think the mechanic is trying to hustle me, he just wants to do it correctly. But I don't have that money and I need to make this car drivable immediately. If anyone has any ideas or advise I sure would appreciate it.

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd fill up the system, clean everything off and drive the car (carefully) and see how it behaves.
  • Options

I'd fill up the system, clean everything off and drive the car (carefully) and see how it behaves.

Thanks Mr. Shiftright. Would you use just plain old water?

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2014
    No, I'd use something like Simple Green first and brush it on with a stiff "parts brush" (Autozone) and lay a plastic tarp under it to catch everything; or I suppose you could go to a self car-wash if they let you do that kind of thing. As long as the rack isn't physically loose I think you could test drive it to see if the stiff steering was merely from a lack of fluid or if, in fact, the steering rack has been wiped out from lack of lubrication.

You definitely want to look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMN-2R_fSz4

• Options

No, I'd use something like Simple Green first and brush it on with a stiff "parts brush" (Autozone) and lay a plastic tarp under it to catch everything; or I suppose you could go to a self car-wash if they let you do that kind of thing. As long as the rack isn't physically loose I think you could test drive it to see if the stiff steering was merely from a lack of fluid or if, in fact, the steering rack has been wiped out from lack of lubrication.

You definitely want to look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMN-2R_fSz4

Thanks Mr. Shiftright. I discovered something new. I found an empty bottle of Dexron VI in the trunk and from what I've read is not suitable for power steering in this car.

So I bought a cap and flushed the fluid twice with Dexron/Merc (using the turkey baster method, but didn't flush the hoses) and it's improved about 30%.

Is it possible the Dexron VI could have caused all this nonsense?

• Options

to see if the stiff steering was merely...

There's been a misunderstanding. The steering wheel is easy to turn and moves freely, but it doesn't respond for about 5-inches or so when turning.