Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Pilot Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    mas181mas181 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to possibly buy a Pilot here in the next 3 weeks or so. I like everything about it except the fact that to get the DVD player you have to take the leather. So I was wondering if any one had bought a Pilot with cloth and then installed a DVD player form Best Buy or Circuit City?
  • Options
    terumi1terumi1 Member Posts: 130
    yes, you can install an aftermarket dvd player. There are multiple posts in this section discussing that very issue.
  • Options
    mdogramdogra Member Posts: 19
    I bought my 2004 Pilot EX-L in Dec2003. I want to buy the Extended Warranty. Can someone help where to look at for good deals and good service. Warranty provider contact details with price will be appreciated. Also please advice if it's still possible to buy extended warranty as my vehicle is new.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    take a look over here.

and, yes, it is still possible to buy. you can buy the hondacare warranty up until the expiration of the standard factory warranty.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    torpmantorpman Member Posts: 40
    If you are talking about a Honda Care warranty, then you can try: <www.curryhondacare.com>

I believe you can get the extended warranty anytime within the first two years of ownership. After that, the price goes up.

You can also try the internet sales manager at <www.dickbrookshonda.com>

After you have a general idea of what you can get the warranty for, go to the dealer where you will have your service done and see what they will sell you the warranty for.

I do not know anything about aftermarket non-honda warranties.
  • Options
    legendownerlegendowner Member Posts: 10
    About this aux audio adaptor, I have a 04' Navi and want to hook up directly to my radio. Can you guys tell me if the device on the following link is what I should use?

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonauxdmxv1.html

I asked around in local electronic retailers like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. and they don't know anything about this aux audio adaptor so I guess I have to buy one myself and bring it in.

I also would like to have the DVD player installed in the bottom of the radio stack but I am concerned about whether the unit fits in that space and whether it looks half way like a factory install (angled the same as all the other units about it...). When are you going to post pics, terumi1?
  • Options
    sysadmin1sysadmin1 Member Posts: 122
    I can speak for the adapter, that is the one I used and it worked fine. No one else has heard of it either. The store was clueless, but it is worth it.

Mine is mounted under drivers seat, but in the spring I plan to take it out myself and dry-fit it to see if it will fit. Until terumi posts something, thats my best option. I really would rather have it mounted there rather than under the seat.

I have a problem with the unit in the cold...I know it sounds trivial, but I live in NH, and it is below 40 degrees at least 4 months of the year, so when I get in the truck, I can't play anything for the first 20minutes until the unit warms up enough. Up to that point it just stays at "loading". It is a bother for me. As soon as the weather warms up a bit I plan to try two things. First, try mounting it at the bottom of the radio stack, and second, see if I can make some kind of makeshift duct to direct air from the bottom vent of the center console in back to direct the hot air back under the drivers seat to speed warming. Some type of U-duct to curve the air around.
  • Options
    I previously asked sysadmin1 for help on posting pics on the internet. I'll gladly do it, I just don't know how!

I am downloading software from freepichosting.com. If it works, I'll take some pics tomorrow of the dvd in the radio stack and post them.

Yes, the website that you posted, legendowner, is the adapter that the salesman told me to use. I have used it, and now sysadmin1 has used it with no problem. My electrical problems (previously posted) are unrelated to the aux audio adapter. CD quality sound from the dvd player.

Nope, I couldn't figure out how to post the pics. Sorry.

It can be installed with the same tilt as the rest of the radio stack. There will be some cutting involved (that little plastic finger on the ceiling of the cubbyhole, for instance, will have to be cut.). But I'm told that cubbyhole plastic piece is replaceable. Of course the salesman at the dvd store told me that, so who knows for sure.

If someone can tell me how/where to post pics on the internet, I'm glad to do it! Sysadmin1, if you have an email, I'll send them to you and you can post them! Whatever works easier!
  • Options
    Thanks guys (sysadmin1 and terumi1) for the pictures and detailed words on your experiences.
    I would really like to see terumi1's pictures....if it's not much bother, could terumi1 just email them to sysadmin1 for him to post? It would serve the board tons....pictures are worth 1000 words....
  • Options
    And I'll post them with my own on the same Yahoo page.
    mpresseau@marketinginitiatives.com
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Have you looked at Town Hall Help? There are instructions about how to post a photo in a Town Hall discussion there. Link to THH is in left hand sidebar. Or does freepichosting.com not allow photos to be linked out of their site? Some photo hosting sites have that restriction.
  • Options
    Thanks Karen. I ran out of time and took the easy way out and just emailed them. I spent too much time on freepichosting.com last night, trying to figure out where the pics I was publishing were going! They are out there somewhere! I think what was free, in fact, was not. So when I was hitting the publish button on their software, they went to the server, but you had to pay money to see them. Or, it could have been me.

In the end, sysadmin1 should receive these in about 2 minutes, and they should be posted sometime today.

To all, the pics were taken late last night in my garage. I did various lighting options on my digital camera. If you need a daytime pic, I'll do it. But hopefully, what was taken last night should answer the radio stack presentation debate.
  • Options
    Here's the link again. I have added Terumi's pics at the end of mine.

http://photos.yahoo.com/mpresseau1
  • Options
    Good teamwork in getting the pics out.
    The installation looks good. After my kids hauled out our 13" TV/VCR combo for a 2 hour trip in the car, I'm very motivated to just get this done.

One more question. Some have hooked up the video to the navigation monitor in the front. How difficult is this and what's involved? It would be so cool to do this, but since couple of places just said no, citing liability issue, I'm just tempted to forgo this....any thoughts?
  • Options
    You can buy the A/B switch. An installer will install it. It is a simple thing to do. Yes, it is illegal. But show up with the A/B switch, and they will do it. Or do it yourself. Not too hard.

Do you have a navi system? If so, I'd like to hear if you have any shortcuts to putting an address in. By street address. Very difficult as the software might define where a street is in a different city than you.

Anyone with a navi find the software cumbersome in putting in a street address?
  • Options
    I also would like to do this and am not above cutting into wires, but I looked under pass seat and saw the few that came from the nav dvd unit and didn't recognize anything I could tap into.

Also, even though the navi screen is touch-screen, you can use it for video? No issues? Does anyone currently? Since it is so high mounted in the dash, it seems like the best place to tap in is under the seat, but am clueless as to which wire.

Anyone know how to do it?
  • Options
    You can make the Navi screen a dvd screen without issues (touch screen, etc...)

I think there is a post from a few months ago here somewhere. The guy loved it. The installer said it wasn't a problem, either.
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Help! My wife and I are placing an order for a Pilot this weekend. I want the EX-LRES (DVD entertainment system) and my wife wants the EX-L.

We have a 2 year-old and a new one on the way. My wife thinks the DVD will spoil our 2-year old and since we don't go on many long trips, that we won't use it that much. She's also concerned that it may hurt her eyes or make her car-sick.

Can anyone with any experience with the Honda factory system (or an aftermarket system, or a portable unit) tell me the pros and cons about your system and the age of the children using it.

My general experience is that people with the DVD systems can't imagine living without them, but I can't convince my wife!

All responses within the next 24 hours would be sincerely appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Elliot
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Enter DVD in the discussion search for comments about OEM and aftermarket systems. Enter "entertainment systems" in the Keyword search and you will find quite a few discussions that contain the good and the bad about them.
  • Options
    82whiskey82whiskey Member Posts: 2
    I printed out the details from curryhondacare.com and brought it to my local dealer. They agreed to sell me the same coverage at the same price.

Brian A
  • Options
    82whiskey82whiskey Member Posts: 2
    Just received the 3M film today and I plan to put it on the new Pilot over the weekend. It looks promising however. The film looks thin enough to not be obvious but thick enough to provide decent protection from minor scratches and dings.

Brian A
  • Options
    What Karen said. If nothing else, there has been a ton of discussion on dvd systems in the last 3 months. I and others have posted pictures, too.

So scroll back and check em out!

We love the dvd system. And have a 2.5 year old. He loves it, too. No car sick.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    fishingdanfishingdan Member Posts: 7
    Brian A,

How did it go (appying the 3M paint protection film)? I like the idea of the product and the fact that it can cover all of the front facing surfaces. I hope it was easy to apply.

Thanks
  • Options
    dlake1963dlake1963 Member Posts: 16
    Here is a link to an install I did of an aux-input connector on my 04 pilot.
    http://homepage.mac.com/douglaslake/iPod_Install_Pilot/PhotoAlbum- 19.html
    A while back I voiced frustration over Honda not including a package with a CD changer for the Pilot. So, I bought an iPod and installed an aux-input cable [Logjam electronics]. It's actually a better solution because one can have thousands of songs and/or audio books on the ipod, while a CD changer only holds 6 CDs. The install went VERY smoothly and was easy.
  • Options
    I, too, have looked under the passenger seat to see if there is a simple RCA jack running video out to the screen and there is none. So, I don't understand when folks say that it is simple to use the nav screen as a secondary DVD screen and that only a A/B switch is needed. Is there a RCA jack into the back of the display? Do you have to remove the display to see it? How do you do it? Any info on exactly how this is achieved would be most welcomed. I agree, displaying video image on the screen while the car is in motion is a bad thing, but once the car is parked,...what a waste of a good display.

As far as entering destination by street, just enter the street (like "Main" street I entered the other day, thinking it's going to turn up thousands of them) and then enter the street number. Somehow the one I was going to turned up as the second choice. It does this by looking at the street number and eliminating choices that don't match. And then I think it lists them proximity to where you are. I didn't think it was too difficult. I hate their "user1, user2" business and the associated passwords, as if we aren't drowning in passwords already.
  • Options
    adkentadkent Member Posts: 12
    I have an installer coming tomorrow(!) to do the install of my PROV916/VOD916 (same thing) with the Blitzsafe interface to the AUX-in of the head-unit on my 2004 Pilot EX-L w/NAVI. That said, I need any/all tips, advice, gotcha's, and to do's that any of you may offer given your previous experience.

While I know the equipment is quite good, I have no idea how good/knowledgeable the installer might be, so I'd like to be prepared to ask the smart questions and "audit" the work along the way.

Any feedback and/or advice is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    Make sure he has a good ground. Make sure he picks a good power source.

If you have ignition noise (sounds like a jet is taking off in your car over the speakers when you step on the gas with the engine running), probably a bad ground. If installed correctly, you should have no noise.

If he picks a poor power source in the fuse box, strange things will happen (with me, when I turned wipers on, dvd cut out). So, just power everything up and make sure everything works that is electrical (wipers, wiper delay, heated seats, powered side mirrors, electric seat adjuster, all fan settings, a/c, heat, etc, etc...just turn on everything you can think of or lay your hands on), while dvd is running with the volume turned up. Everything should work perfectly.

Good luck!
  • Options
    cameramattcameramatt Member Posts: 32
    I added chrome steps and rear splash guards to my Sage Brush Pilot EX w/cloth. (wife doesn't like leather) It looks fantastic. Hoping to add more but not sure what and when.
  • Options
    Well, some problems have surfaced and I'm working through them.

First is a loose connection where the headrest plugs into the black box under the seat. It must be a broken solder joint or something inside that box, so the Best Buy will be ordering a new one.

Next was the issue with the DVD player not working when cold. I asked them about it and he said he's installed at least 4 since then and no one has complained about it, so it might be a defective DVD player. He agreed to order a new one of those as well and try that out.

The good thing is that he said that they will most likely have to order a whole new kit cause the boxes may have changed and the connectors are different and stuff. Maybe I got the last of the old stuff or soemthing. In the vizuallogic.com site they show pictures of the whole kit, and it almost looks like I got a hodgepodge of parts. Some match the kit and others don't.

I got the newer looking DVD player like the picture, which is different than your in the picture, but I didn't get the single black A/V box where all the connections are made. That one is a single piece with stereo jacks and stuff, and I got two smaller black A/V boxes that are mono. The install guy at Best Buy even remarked about that. The fact that mine were Mono rather than Stereo. So I am hoping they just get a whole new kit and replace everything as well as making the wiring job much neater. Time will tell...

Will let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    If anyone knows how to do this please speak up. I have and am currently searchign the web high and low and have found NO documentation at all on how this is accomplished. All you have are proprietary 12-20-26 pin connectors going to and from the unit, and nothing as easy a RCA video in jack. When you install the rear camera even, it is all special connectors and cables, and you have to tell the NAV system that the camera is attached so it will switch back and forth.

I don't think this can be done. Can anyone prove me wrong? Upload a pic or a link or something.

In case people want to know why I want it up there is so that I can see what options are running on the DVD so I can set it up for kids without having to wrench my neck around and see what they see on the screen.
  • Options
    nsantosnsantos Member Posts: 10
    how much does side step cost? are they really easy to install? i'm thinking of installing them myself.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    depending on where you shop, figure between $400-$450 for the black side steps (chrome is usually more).

I haven't installed them on the Pilot, but I have installed them on a couple of other trucks I've had and it is extremely easy if they are direct bolt-ons (i.e., not cutting or drilling required).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    go up to the top of the page and click on H and A accessories. They have the installation instructions pdf by each product. That way you can see for yourself.
  • Options
    brucebrobrucebro Member Posts: 9
    I bought the Sony DVD system w/overhead monitor at Circuit City , on sale, for $799.00 installed. I was very nervous about the install as my Pilot was only 3 mos. old. It's now been two months and the family is loving it. We bought another w/l headset and since the breakout box is mounted on the back of the console, hooking up PS2 and wired headsets is pretty easy. Initially, the wipers cut out the player (as mentioned in earlier post) but was remedied quickly. One word of advise, don't watch the install - it is painful watching the interior pulled all apart!
    Also, I use the cassette adapter for my XM radio (so I can move it from car to car) and you can take the line out from the breakout box using this adapter to get the sound into the entire car. I was surprised as to how good this sounded!
  • Options
    haywardcahaywardca Member Posts: 2
    I plan to get the backup sensors installed on my pilot. Has anybody done that in the bay area (CA)? I would like to get recommendations on the dealership that does a good job on this.
  • Options
    Sys..

Why not just call a good installer and have him do it? It should be about 75-100 bucks. Then all is done on having that A/B switch to the front Navi screen.

Again, the guy at the install shop said this was done all the time. So I can only assume that most any (maybe not Best Buy), shop, could do this.

As far as the black boxes(s), yes, mine was one. So whatever Best Buy put in there, it sounds like they are going to correct.

Coming back from Disney last night, my son wanted to see the trailer to, "The Incredibles", over and over. Could only get to it by ejecting and re-inserting...over and over. Well, I locked the dvd unit up! That was pretty strange. No buttons worked, not even the power off button. Had to pull over and re-boot the car completely. I'll keep you posted if this becomes a re-curring item. So far, no complaints.

I would at least TALK to a good install shop about that A/B switch.
  • Options
    I'll swing by a place this week maybe and talk to them about it. Since most people say it's illegal, I figured any shop wouldn't want to be involved. But, maybe if they throw an A/B switch in where I could defeat it or maybe if they set it up and leave the last connection for me to make, so I am the one that "hooked it up", maybe that will be acceptable.
  • Options
    I just talked to an installer and it's just as I thought. This involves a device some company sells which connects in-between the nav unit and the nav screen, sort of like the Blitzsafe device. The device is ~$600 and install is another $150. A simple A/B switch would imply that there is an analog signal input to the nav screen, since analog video is all you have coming out of your DVD player. But this is not the case. This is an expensive feature. This installer has put this device in several Pilots already, so I think he knows what he is talking about. I also have a BMW and by chance I saw a device on the net for BMWs that does the same thing for $900....

I'm abandoning this feature as it is not cost effective.....however, when I install my dvd system this week, I am going to leave an analog video cable out from the dvd player somewhere in the front (like in the utility box....), in case I ever decide to buy a cheap portable DVD player
  • Options
    sungchangsungchang Member Posts: 39
    Hey guys, thanks for all your input and experience with the Vizualogic DVD install. A quick question: with the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.1 Auxiliary Input Converter, are you guys loosing the voice prompts (i.e. turn right/left) from the Navi when you have the DVD running?
  • Options
    The Blitzsafe device makes the DVD player look like a CD changer to the radio. I know that when I turn on voice prompts on Nav, it suppresses the front speakers when Nav wants to 'tell' me a direction. This happens regardless of what the radio was set to (ie, radio/cd/cassette). Therefore, the CD changer (or the DVD player) should not interfere with the Nav voice prompt. Or rather, yes, the Nav voice prompt will cut out the DVD player as well when 'talking'.
  • Options
    Hey guys, thanks for all your input and experience with the Vizualogic DVD install. A quick question: with the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.1 Auxiliary Input Converter, are you guys loosing the voice prompts (i.e. turn right/left) from the Navi when you have the DVD running?
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Here's the quote I received for what looks like the same setup:

1090 for Vizualogic headrests (2)
    250 for dvd unit
    80 for Blitzsafe Aux Input Converter
    90 for 2 IR Wireless headset
    ---

18 x 2 for additional cables
    127 for CA tax
    250 for install (lifetime warranty on install)
    ----
    discounted to out the door of $1800

This seems a little higher than what you guys paid as yours included additional warranty on unit. Can you verify what you guys paid? I remember $1430 for unit (I think sysadmin1 paid that much). Thanks.
  • Options
    I paid:

~$1430 for the system kit (DVD, headrest etc)
    ~$68 for the Blitzsafe adapter
    ~$250 for the install

I did also pay $199 for a 4yr warranty from them as well, up to you if you consider it part of the total cost since it was optional.

Legendowner:

Do you remember anything about the adapter such as brand name or type or something I might be able to search for? $600 is a lot, but if it is something I might be able to do myself, who knows. Who knows where this entertainment madness will end...
  • Options
    -2 vizuallogic headrest screens
    -2 IR headsets
    -1 vizuallogic dvd player
    -1 blitzsafe aux audio adapter
    -1 aux cable for gaming
    -Florida sales tax
    -5 year bumper to bumper warranty on all the
     hardware
    -Lifetime installation

$1760 out the door price

..........BUT, that was with a refund for the lousy installation job they did the first time. Your out the door price of $1800.00 is a good one.
  • Options
    No interference with the navi voice prompts with the dvd playing. Movie soundtrack dimms and the navi voice prompt lady says her thing, then the movie volume comes back up again.
  • Options
    I talked to the installer. Check out this site for the navi-dvd converters.

http://www.nav-tv.com/main.htm

I think they are expensive, in the price range of 600-1200 dollars. You can call them and pick their minds.
  • Options
    Hey guys thanks for the quick response. I seem to be in the ballpark of both of you (slight bit high since my price did not include warranty on equipments other than factory warranty). I will see if I can negotiate a little more :) Not holding my breadth, but it doesn't hurt :)
  • Options
    Many thanks on the link. THis morning I also came across this site. They have a Tuner/Video unit designed for the same purpose for $525. Still pricey though...just to have the video up front. We'll see.

http://avelectronic.com/products.htm
  • Options
    No problem on the link. I didn't research it that much. But the installer said that it comes with a tv tuner and so on, like the web site you are looking at. I didn't know they were that much. I will bow out of this accessory!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is hoping to interview a consumer who has purchased a used car, truck or SUV and customized it with accessories to match interests and tastes. What kind of extras did you add? Leather? Sunroof/moonroof? Upgraded stereo? Video system with flip down monitor? Off-road gear? Wheels and tires? Special paint jobs? Window tinting?
    Please respond to newswiz@earthlink.net and/or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, March 5 with your name, daytime contact information and some information about your vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews