Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• Options
    jikjik Member Posts: 144
    How long does it take to receive documents from saccuci.

Bought online warranty from them.

They told me they are coming back as another website :?

Paid with credit card so it should be ok I guess
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    The documents come from the Honda corporate office in California, just like they would if you ordered them from any other dealership. They don't come directly from the dealer. As I recall, I had them within a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    greenodysseygreenodyssey Member Posts: 2
    I read here that online sales will end Nov. 2nd, so last Friday I ordered it from hondacareextendedwarranty.com. The order went through and I got the receipt. But today Bob Leab replied with an email saying since I live in california, he can't sell it to me. Well today is Nov. 2th already, where else can I go for cheap extended warranty in california ?
  • Options
    jungle_catjungle_cat Member Posts: 18
    I understand that the Honda Care Warranty can not be sold over the internet. But can anyone confirm that it can be sold over the phone or in person? And, at the prices that were previously sold via the internet?

If that is the case I am lucky in that both Bernadi and Saccuchi are close to me.

JC
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I think as long as they don't advertise online and the page is down and not have the internet forms and submit button, they still can sell over phone or emailing. But that will diminish their popularity in web search engines and costs more to process each transaction. Plus now they depends on word of mouth ....
  • Options
    Well today is Nov. 2th already, where else can I go for cheap extended warranty in california ?

For Californians I would always suggest College Hills Honda as the lowest prices I could find from a dealer who would sell to California. It will be a little more than the price you got from HondaCareExtendedWarranty.com.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hondacare/warranty.htm

Curryhonda would also sell to Californians but their prices were a little higher than College Hills. However, now that their prices aren't published who knows who's costs less:

http://www.curryhondacare.com/index.cfm

For those who aren't in California or Florida it looks like Bernardi still has a Honda Care page up, they just don't advertise prices and but you can pick which mileage/time you want online and then use online chat or phone to order. Their new website name is:

http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/

Saccucci doesn't mention anything on their website anymore about Honda Care that I could see.

HondaCareExtendedWarranty.com website has been suspended.
  • Options
    aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    I bought a certified 2006 Honda Odyssey EX with 39K miles last week from an out-of-state dealer. Is it worth buying the Honda Care EW ( 7 years 100000 miles ) for $583 ( + $25 for buying after the sale ) now? Since the van is already 44 months old what I am really getting is an EW for 40 months,61000 miles only. Besides, I already get a 12 month 12000 mile Honda certified car warranty which means I am really extending my warranty only by 28 months and 49000 miles.

Is it worth paying $608 dollars for 28 month, 49K miles? Does the Odyssey really break down that much before 100K miles?
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Honca Care cannot be purchased for this vehicle because it is beyond 3/36.
  • Options
    I thought we could buy HondaCare from the dealer who sold the certified vehicle but not from anyone else. Is that not the case?
  • Options
    Nope... car is over 3/36 cant buy Honda Care.
  • Options
    Well, dealer sent the Honda Care ( yes, really ) warranty application form by Fedex and I got it today. It costs $623 approximately for 7 year, 84 K miles. Should I buy EW? Is it worth it? Reason I ask this question again is because as part of my certified used car warranty the pwoer train is covered for 7 years, 100 K miles anyway. So we are only talking about coverage for non-power train items for the remaining 28 months and 49 K miles from now.
  • Options
    Honda Care is good.
  • Options
    greenodysseygreenodyssey Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to jet10000 for your suggestions to collegehillshonda and curryhondacare.
    I contacted both of them, but neither are willing to sell to me in California. I guess I'm too late. Oh well, look at it from the bright side, I saved a lot of money, and the odds are that I won't need the extended warranty anyway.
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    I believe you are going to find that aristotle is correct.

If the car is over 36 months old, or has over the 36K miles, Honda Care will not cover it. That info comes directly from the Folks at Honda Care per my phone talk with them. If the dealer sends them such an application, they will reject it.

I've been trying to get my "Honda Care" 7/75 extended. The 7 years runs out Jan 15, 2010, but the car only has 39K on the odometer. Dealer has done all the service work according to the Honda recommended schedule plus dealer recommendations. Makes no difference to HONDA CARE.

On used cars past the mfg warranty, a dealer can sell you an EW issued by another insurer. Most Honda dealers in our area use "Fidelity" EW. They are owned by Toyota.

I've spent countless hours researching the various EW companies. Seems that many of them issue warranties that are virtually worthless. The one that seems the best is "Easy Care". At one time they issued the "Honda Care" warranties. That stopped when Honda Finance went into the EW business and Easy Care was purchased by Ford. .
    Easy Care would issue a bumper to bumper 36/36K on my car for $1900+. A 48/48k for $2200+. Pricey to say the least. Fidelity will issue a 48/48k for $1500--$1600.

I read several accounts of folks real unhappy with Fidelity. Here is a typical example of the many I found :

A guy buys a used car and the dealer sells him a Fidelity EW. Like most EWs, Fidelity covers against mfg defects in materials and workmanship. But not against normal wear items. ( FWIW: Normal wear generally means batteries, tires, wiper blades, light bulbs, seat covers, brake shoes/discs, belts, rubber hoses, and such) Fidelity carried it to a whole new dimension Something went wrong with the suspension that was going to be expensive to repair. Fidelity said that the components had 66k miles on them and had simply "WORN" out. Can't expect things to last forever. So they deemed it NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR and would not pay. Can't sue them because not suing them is in the contract. Fidelity does agree to arbitration. Guess which arbitration they agree to use! Fidelity's!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_warranty/fidelity.html

And yes! When a a person buys a Toyota, the EW is Fidelity. Hopefully they cover the "Bought New" Toyotas better than they do used cars.

There are cars that seem to run forever with few problems, while others of the same make and model just seem to be trouble prone. Our EW on the Pilot payed for itself with repairs we didn't have to pay for. Our CR-V EW (Honda Care) payed near $3000 on an AC system that had to be replaced at approximately 39k miles, and unknown dollars on an electrical problem that involved replacing the Computer, 2 sensors and 2 other components valued at $1100. Plus 6 days in the dealer's service bay and the rental car at 49k miles. At $100-$125 per hour, it doesn't take long for an EW to pay for itself, if it pays.

I got so disgusted with shopping for a good EW, that I traded the Pilot for a new Ridgeline. Got the 96/100k Honda Care EW on it.

Seems the drive trains on Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and some others last a long time. It is the other stuff that is so costly to fix.

Kip
  • Options

If the car is over 36 months old, or has over the 36K miles, Honda Care will not cover it. That info comes directly from the Folks at Honda Care per my phone talk with them. If the dealer sends them such an application, they will reject it.

This is not correct. You are talking about the terms for a typical Honda Care contract. The person was discussing the option to purchase "Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage." This is an option when one is purchasing a Honda Certified Used Car and unlike standard Honda Care, it can only be purchased from the selling dealer at the time of the sale.

See this link for details:

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/honda-care.aspx
  • Options
    jackmyers76jackmyers76 Member Posts: 5
    Its not Honda Care by Honda.. when the vehicle is 36months old or over 36000 miles its Honda Care by Easy Care...different company all together.
  • Options
    See my post below...As I stated...the product you are referring to is not the same as Honda care by AHFC (American Honda Finance Corp.).
  • Options
    "See my post below...As I stated...the product you are referring to is not the same as Honda care by AHFC (American Honda Finance Corp.). "

jackmyers76, I don't see the "below" post you are referring too.

I'm leaning heavily toward your conclusion in your above statement.
    Although perplexed concerning the whole thing.

--------------------------------------------
    I researched for several weeks off and on. Talked with several Honda dealers. Some more than once. Talked with the folks at Honda Care twice and was unable to renew my Honda Care coverage. Period!

My dealer said he could sell me HC because the car was bought new there, had been serviced regularly there, and may or may not need the "Required" inspection. He was amused when I told him of my research. He called HC and they said, "NO". He said he was very suprized because he had done it many times in the past.

If there is a way the used car Honda dealer's department can sell HC, the above poster should jump all over it, in my opinion.

To me the EW is very important, because of the complexity of todays cars.

Kip
  • Options
    mclarrymclarry Member Posts: 21
    wow, i bought an accord last week and they wanted about 2k for this warranty you guys are quoting at 850. guess i was lucky i passed.
  • Options
    hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I bought a brand new Honda Accord in 2008 and bought what I thought was a 100,000 mile warranty. I just traded my car in for a Fusion and the dealer told me that I should get some kind of refund for the policy because my Accord only has 24,000 miles on it. Well the warranty company told me on the phone today that I bought a wrap around policy that started the day I bought the car. Why would I need a extra warranty for the first 36 months 36,000 miles when it comes with a bumper to bumper warranty with the new car? Well I got ripped off and I will be talking to my Honda dealer about this. Beware of any extended warranty.
  • Options
    I just traded my car in for a Fusion and the dealer told me that I should get some kind of refund for the policy because my Accord only has 24,000 miles on it. Well the warranty company told me on the phone today that I bought a wrap around policy that started the day I bought the car. Well I got ripped off and I will be talking to my Honda dealer about this. Beware of any extended warranty.

It doesn't sound like this was a Honda Care service contract. If you had purchased a Honda Care you would be getting a pro-rated rebate back. I know because I've done it before on a vehicle that I sold before the Honda Care expired.
  • Options
    jansamjansam Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,
    Planning to buy 2010 Honda Odyssey EXL; going to keep this van, living in Michigan and I want to know is it worth to buy extended warranty?!

If so, I want to buy 7 years / 100 K for $1500 at the time of purchase or I need to wait for 3 years / 36 K expiration. Gurus, please help me…
    Thanks in Advance…
  • Options
    To get the 7 year / 100K warranty, you need to buy it within the first 6,000 miles of the vehicle's life. That time frame won't be available near the end of the factory warranty.

$1,500 may be a little too much. You should get a comparable quote from:

Let us know if you can save any money over the quote your dealer gave you.
  • Options
    jansamjansam Member Posts: 4
    Thanks jet10000!
    I got good quote like $1055 but I need pay in single payment. Back to my old question; is it worth to get extended warranty…
  • Options
    The extended warranties more than paid for themselves with our Pilot and CR-V.

The drive trains never gave trouble, but other STUFF did. I won't have another new car without the Extended warranty. Period!

FWIW. Just traded the Pilot for a new Ridgeline. Got "Honda Care" EW 8yr/100K miles with "0" deductible for $1300. It was added to the price of the car and is included in the car payment. Probably paid a couple hundred too much, but wanted it all done at one time. The $50 deductible would have been $200 less.

Kip
  • Options
    mannumannu Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I bought an Odeyssey 06, with 54000 miles on it. I did not do much homework prior to the purchase and they made me purchase the Honda Care for 1500 $. I call Honda America and they say they don't have any record of the Honda Care plan purchase, but only the certification (they did that after I approach them after 40 days!!) data submitted by my dealer. Since, I cannot cancel it through Honda America, what will be my best course to get this plan canceled? Will I be asked to change the finance terms by the dealer, if I ask for cancellation? Can I dispute that? Since they have included the money in to the finance, and not processed the Honda Care warranty, can I argue thats illegal and tell them that I will approach a lawyer/BBB/attorney general? will that work...looking forward to your valuable thoughts and advices....please
  • Options
    sthornton77sthornton77 Member Posts: 4
    That is a bit high. I would recommend calling College Hills Honda. They sell Honda Care Warranties for much less than most dealers. Their web site is www.collegehillshonda.com.
  • Options
    Usually you need to return to the dealer and have them submit the cancellation paperwork. Since you financed the cost, they won't change the finance terms. The refund will be submitted to your lien holder and they'll deduct the amount from your loan, so that you'll pay off the vehicle a few months earlier.
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Sounds like you didn't read the contract. Now you know better. The pretty cover page doesn't give you much information. Always read the fine print.
  • Options
    andy_edmundsandy_edmunds Member Posts: 17
    Hi All,

I have bought 2009 Odyssey, during the month of May 2009. I would like to get a quote for the longest available warranty something like 96 months/120K with 0 deductible. I have driven the van for less than 3K miles.

Are there any time or mile restrictions when warranty is no longer available for purchase such as
    1) Maximum number of miles that disqualifies getting the warranty. I thought it was 6K miles. Is that true?
    2) Maximum number of months that disqualifies the purchase. Is this 6 months?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Andy
  • Options
    The 8 year 120 K mile warranty is no longer available after 6,000 miles. (I've never heard of a time like 6 months also applying.)

After 6,000 miles, you can still get a Honda Care up until the vehicle hits either the 3 year or the 36,000 mile mark. However the time/miles of the contract are different. When you buy a service agreement after 6K, the terms of the contract do not start at 0 miles 0 years, they are added to whatever miles and whatever time the vehicle is currently at.

You can see this at
    http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/
  • Options
    andy_edmundsandy_edmunds Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the quick reply. Information provided answered my question.
  • Options
    The warp plan is designed to wrap around your factory powertrain and give you an appearance of a bumper to bumper policy until the end of the factory powertrain. This should be clearly stated in the contract you bought and when the F&I person sold you. The plan should have been heavily discounted since it was a wrap. If they sold it to you at full markup then I would be really pissed. Good luck
  • Options
    You can get the same bumper to bumper coverage from www.warrantyelite.com for 7year/100k mile coverage for $1077 .

I don't see how that's better than the $1,055 quote the person got for Honda Care. In addition with Honda Care, the dealer takes care of all billing and approval issues. Does warranty elite offer the 7 years/100K of roadside assistance that is included with Honda Care?
  • Options
    When possible I prefer the Honda Care EW for my Honda's.

My cost on the Ridgeline was actually $1335 for 8/100k with ZERO deductible. It would have been $1135 for the same coverage and $50 deductible.

Right in line with other peoples coverages and Honda Care never balked at any of our claims. The last one involved the CR-V being in the shop for 6 days, requiring a new ECU. some sensors and 2 other electrical assemblies that the dealer would have cost $1100 for the two of them. They also paid for the rental. This would have cost a fortune "Out of Pocket". :cry: :sick: That EW cost $900+ back in '03.

To me an EW on our car's health is just as important as insurance on our home, health, life, and auto (driving) insurances. "Stuff" can go wrong!

Kip
  • Options
    maryl2maryl2 Member Posts: 1
    Sthornton77 -- your info was wonderful!!! I just purchased a 2010 Element EX and the retail for the 7/100K was $2500. Local dealerships were only willing to discount to $1500-1800. College Hills wanted $955. The dealership that I chose met the price, albeit I am sure reluctantly.

Thank you for the great tip!
    MP
  • Options
    hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "The wrap plan is designed to wrap around your factory powertrain and give you an appearance of a bumper to bumper policy until the end of the factory powertrain".

Jack:
    Thanks for the info. I did go back to the dealer and confront them about it and they said the same thing you did. I told them that the salesman made me believe that the extended warranty started at 36,000 (when the factory warranty stopped) and he said well that salesman does not work here anymore and you only paid $430.00 for that policy so it only goes for 5 years or 60,000 miles.
  • Options
    It was advertising.
  • Options
    illusions1illusions1 Member Posts: 2
    Dang it... I just bought a 2010 EXL two days ago... I never buy the EW when I purchase cars, but this guy was apparently very good at convincing me. I paid over $2400 for 6/100k but he told me that if it's not used, I would get a check back for the $2400 (main reason why I did it) He also told me I could just drop it off and get whatever problems fixed, but after reading the fine print last night I have a $100 deductible.... got me thinking and found this site!! I so pissed and embarrassed I can't think straight!
  • Options
    hans872hans872 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased it 2 days ago but couldn't drive out yet. Because it takes little time to install accessories. I'll keep this so I want to get Extended Warrenty 8 Year / 120k in New York.

If any one have experiance to get in near my area, pls inform me.
    I read past post and understand about online buying. Is it accepted any local dealer ? My dealer offer $2k for it.

Happy NewYear
  • Options
    I never buy the EW when I purchase cars, but this guy was apparently very good at convincing me.

Well, if it's Honda Care you have 60 days to cancel. Even if it's another company, there's probably a cancellation term as well. Usually, however, you have to return to the dealer to cancel it and they may try to give you the evil eye while you're there. But they have to let you do it.

If you financed the $2,400, the refund check will go to your finance company. But at least it will go against your loan and you'll owe fewer payments than you would have otherwise.
  • Options
    If any one have experiance to get in near my area, pls inform me.
    I read past post and understand about online buying. Is it accepted any local dealer ? My dealer offer $2k for it.

Yes, you can buy from an online dealer and once you own the Honda Care, you can use it at any Honda dealer in the country. You have until 6,000 miles to get the 8 year 120K warranty, so you still have time.

You can get a quote by going to one of these websites:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/

They can probably give you a lower price than your dealer quoted you.
  • Options
    Thanks Jet1000. I sent e-mail them and They say it will raise the cost from Jan. 04.
  • Options
    They say it will raise the cost from Jan. 04.

Who said the cost will raise on Jan 4th? Your dealer or one of the dealers that I suggested?
  • Options
    accordbuyer01accordbuyer01 Member Posts: 5
    Just got a Honda Care warranty (8yr, 100K mile, 0 deductible) for a 2010 4 cyl Accord for $1080 in CA on Jan 3. Was also told by multiple dealers that prices would raise on Jan 4.
  • Options
    happyaccordhappyaccord Member Posts: 14
    Hello,

Which dealer that you purchased this extend warranty from? If you paid only $1080, that's mean I was ripped off by my dealer, because for my 2010 Accord 4cl, I paid for $1700 with 0 deductible.

Please tell me the dealer's name, I will cancel my warranty with this dealer and go buy from the dealer that you deal with.

• Options
    accordbuyer01accordbuyer01 Member Posts: 5
    Goudy Honda in Alhambra. But don't know if the pricing went up as of Jan 4th. If so, I was told to expect approx. $50 increase. Good luck.
  • Options
    happyaccordhappyaccord Member Posts: 14
    Thanks so much. I will call them today. I will keep you update.
  • Options
    from your listed dealer. and I paid after phone call with them. documents will deliver to me within 1-2 weeks.
    Thanks Jet 10000
  • Options
    Great. Glad to hear you got a good deal.