Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• christhuychristhuy Member Posts: 3
    Odysseydad,

Can you tell me which dealership so I can buy one too? Thanks.
  • brucelee24brucelee24 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Christhuy,

The extended warranty I bought was from Anderson Honda in Palo Alto. I bought a 4 cylinder Honda Accord EXL from them for $22488. When discussing the HondaCare extended warranty, I told him I found the online prices and he was will to sell the 8year/100kmile HondaCare for $980.
  • spamnotspamnot Member Posts: 7
    Latest from Saccucci's website is as of Jan-09 says Honda can ban sales of Honda Care warranties online, which is exactly what Saccucci has been doing. The latest is Honda is not yet enforcing this ban, and hence question is will the contracts bought from Saccucci be suspect in the future and not honored by American Honda if and when it chooses to play rough?

Thanks in advance for any response.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    The latest is Honda is not yet enforcing this ban, and hence question is will the contracts bought from Saccucci be suspect in the future and not honored by American Honda if and when it chooses to play rough?

No, there's no chance of this. The dealer is an just an agent, but the contract is with Honda. The contract comes from the Honda corporate office. Honda would have no legal means to cancel the contract after they accepted the money and issued the documents. Regardless of any potential ban that may have existed, a judge would rule that Honda knowingly entered into the agreement and must thus keep it.

Plus, do you really think Honda would want to anger future customers to even attempt something like that given the state of the car market?
  • gardinerrgardinerr Member Posts: 39
    Jet1000 thank you for your response. You are 100% correct.

People need to remember this is not an ugly lawsuit. Everything between Saccucci Honda and American Honda is very amicable. We still have a great business relationship, and there is no hostility on either side. The talk about Honda invalidating warranties is complete nonsense! -Gardiner
  • dr_lagerdr_lager Member Posts: 1
    Should have done a bit more research before buying the Insight with Cash for Clunkers money. We let the dealer talk us into the 96/120000 extended warranty for $1965. After reading this thread, I contacted them and the upshot was that they offered to knock $400 off of the price (I wanted to go down at least to $1500).

Now, they are our closest Honda dealer (in Lewiston, ID) so we want to have a good relationship with them otherwise we have to do a longer drive to Spokane if we need any work done. We got what we thought was a good deal on the car (some money knocked off as it was a demo). And we financed with the sales tax and the warranty wrapped into the financing and we are putting $3000 down, that they have now reduced to $2600 while keeping the financing at the same amount - but the difference between what they have offered and Saccucci is still around $400...so I'm wondering what you kind folks in this forum would recommend?

Sorry about the massive message - I'm normally a bit better about getting a good deal, but the rush to get the cash for clunkers money made me skip a corner too many I think!
  • iznbrthiznbrth Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Honda Civic a week ago. Two days later I told them I decided not to purchase the warranty for $964 plus tax. They said I could not get the money back now but would receive it at the end of the loan term. Any thoughts on my next move?? Also - if I do get the$964 back - will I also get the tax back?

Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think your dealer is confused. If I understand Honda Warranty correctly, they will refund your money in full if you never use the warranty for the term of the warranty. That's not the same as cancelling out at the beginning of the term.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    If you financed the warranty (included it in the total cost of the car, for which you then obtained a loan), then the dealer is partially correct.

The money from the canceled warranty will go to the lienholder, who will then reduce your loan balance by that amount. That won't change your payment, but your loan will be paid off sooner, due to the lower balance.

So... you are sort of getting it back at the end of the term... through fewer payments on the loan. This is why a lot of these warranties don't get canceled, and why there is so much pressure in the finance office. A lot of people can't come up with the cash to pay for a warranty upfront, so they have to finance it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

If I understand Honda Warranty correctly, they will refund your money in full if you never use the warranty for the term of the warranty.

No, that's not the policy of a typical Honda Care. If you sell your car for example, Honda Care will give you a prorate based on the mileage/time left in the contract.

There are some Honda Care sellers that add the option to refund in full if you don't use the warranty. However those options are sold at a premium and may be hard to comply with. But that is definitely not a standard Honda Care feature.
    Thank you for the clarification. Do you know what their policy is regarding cancellation say within a week of purchasing the warranty?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Do you know what their policy is regarding cancellation say within a week of purchasing the warranty?

Yes, you get a full refund if you cancel within the first 60 days and no services have been rendered.

As kyfdx just described, if you financed Honda Care, the money goes to the lienholder to put toward the back end of your loan. If you paid cash, Honda Care will send you a check.
    Thanks!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • iznbrthiznbrth Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info - mine was part of the loan.

DE
  • pbjellytimepbjellytime Member Posts: 1
    Ok,

I haggled 09 Civic LX for 10,211 after 2 rebates (a Texas one) and $50 tint. Now, I was buying for a friend of mine. He came in and signed the papers but bought the Fidelity warranty 7 years or 100k miles for $1400. He also got a windshield repair warranty for "free" on top of that.

Did he get screwed? What's the difference between HondaCare and Fidelity? Because all I hear about is HondaCare NOT Fidelity.

I know Fidelity you pay a $100 deductible every time and it covers everything except wear/tear.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    The difference is that Fidelity is under investigation (please read some of the previous posts about warranties and the HONDA warranty is backed by HONDA)!!! You better get a refund fast and get the HONDA Warranty!!!
  • carpiedcarpied Member Posts: 6
    The official HONDA CARE warranty will NOT refund any premiums paid if you don't use it. The (questionable) Fidelity-backed EW will refund your premium, minus a $50 admin fee. In my book, that is not worth the much higher cost. Most people will use a warranty of some sort during the life of the car. Even Hondas aren't built without some sort of problem down the line.
    Thanks. Jet10000 already provided clarification on that issue: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0eeb7/2979#MSG2979

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • djsf1djsf1 Member Posts: 9
    I checked Saccucci website and their online response was "Do you have another address?" I see another blogger used an out of CA address....is there any issue with this? Is Anderson Honda still the cheapest dealer in CA for the warranty?
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    The lease on my 08 LX-P is up in a year and I'm thinking that I'll probably just buy it since the payoff $14,200 seems to be a pretty good deal considering what older models are selling for.

I am well under my mileage, having used just 16,000 of my 36,000 available, so I should still be under factory warranty when the lease ends. Can you still purchase a Hondacare policy at that point? If you can, what should I expect to pay, the caveat being I live in Florida where you have to purchase it here and not out of state.

Thanks
    I am well under my mileage, having used just 16,000 of my 36,000 available, so I should still be under factory warranty when the lease ends. Can you still purchase a Hondacare policy at that point?

Even though you can't buy from an out of state dealer, you can see the terms of honda care that are still offered for a vehicle of your year and mileage on myhondawarranty.com.

They sell a $0 deductible honda care for 5 years and 84,000 miles. Now keep in mind this is 5 years from time of purchase and and additional 84,000 miles on top of your 16,000 miles. They also offer five plans with a $100 deductible. Now Florida dealers are going to be much higher than myhondawarranty, but at least you can select a term that you want before you call for a quote.
  • christine118christine118 Member Posts: 22
    Hi, I'm picking up my new Honda Civic LX on Monday. I said no to the extended warranty for now because it was going to be over $1200, and that was with a credit applied to it. The $1200 was for 6 years/60k miles (I think that was the mileage). On the myhondawarranty.com page, I can get 6 years/100k miles for around $500 BUT I mentioned this to the finance person, and she said that that's in litigation and those warranties aren't valid. Is this true? I don't know what to do. More than $1200 is a lot to spend when it does come with a 3 year basic warranty. I'm just confused about whether I should get a warranty, and if I do get it, where do I get it?
  • christhuychristhuy Member Posts: 3
    I would not get it. They are wanting too much.
  • RoBoRaTRoBoRaT Member Posts: 5
    The dealer is trying to be the stealer, and get your money. You can still buy honda care warranty online and the ones from the website you mentioned are valid. I got mine online for $1000 less than the stealers ;) and I have the contract and card to prove it. The online honda care warranty sellers will not sell to you if you are a resident of Florida or California though. I say have your dealer match the online (or about $100 close to it) price if you are still squimish on buying online.
    BUT I mentioned this to the finance person, and she said that that's in litigation and those warranties aren't valid. Is this true?

The salesperson just didn't want to lose the sale as they personally get a nice commission off of it. The litigation hasn't been resolved and in the meantime, myhondawarranty.com still sells a high number of honda care contracts. The contract will be good at any Honda dealership for service. (Just used mine the other day at a Nevada dealership.) You'll get your contract straight from the corporate office in california, just like you would if you ordered it from your local dealer. You'll still have time to review it and return it for a full refund if you don't want it.

I'd save the money if I were you.
  • christine118christine118 Member Posts: 22
    I don't think the dealer would match the price, she will probably just repeat that they're not valid. I reside in NY so I could buy it through that website. I think I will just not get it from the dealership and think it over about buying the extended warranty online.
  • fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    As long as you buy the Honda Care from an online Honda dealer, the warranty is valid at any Honda dealer. I agree that a local dealer will probably refuse to match an Internet price, but even if they did agree to match, they would have to charge sales tax where applicable, an extra $80 to $100 or more in New York State.
  • hemlock87hemlock87 Member Posts: 10
    I was offered $1,335 for a Honda Care Extended Warranty, 8yr/120k $0 deductible. Is this a good price? Also, since I dought the Pilot from a different dealer, the dealer said there was a $99 "inspection fee" for their service mechanic to go over the car. Is this a valid fee and has anyone else had to pay it? This is a great forum, thanks for your thoughts.
    I was offered $1,335 for a Honda Care Extended Warranty, 8yr/120k $0 deductible. Is this a good price? Also, since I dought the Pilot from a different dealer, the dealer said there was a $99 "inspection fee" for their service mechanic to go over the car. Is this a valid fee and has anyone else had to pay it?

You can probably save $100 + the $99 inspection fee if you buy from myhondawarranty.com. Same term, same Honda care contract. The inspection fee is just another way for them to get some money out of you. I'm assuming that your vehicle is nearly new. There is nothing for them to inspect, since it would be still under the manufacturer's warranty anyway. I have to say that is a very creative way to increase their profit on it.
  • fwcarfwcar Member Posts: 2
    Based on the forum recommendation, I recently purchased Honda Care through Bob Leab of Hyannis Honda. The process was simple and straight forward and pricing is good. I received a confirmation promptly after I submitted my application and my Honda Care policy arrived shortly after. Highly recommended.
  • ellusionz21ellusionz21 Member Posts: 59
    I'm purchasing a new Honda Civic within a few months and am trying to research prices and other information on Honda Care for Floridians. I live in Orlando. I understand that I cannot buy online and I would prefer not to go with a 3rd party as I've heard of the many issues one might have. I'm looking into the 5 or 6 year, 80 or 100k.

* What prices have my fellow Floridians paid for theirs and your terms?
    * If I find a dealership far away that is willing to give me a good deal and mine won't match, is it possible to purchase it without driving there?
    * Can someone explain what care plan it is that includes oil changes and its cost? Is it worth it?

Thanks for your help in my research. Any other advice is always appreciated :D
  • jungle_catjungle_cat Member Posts: 18
    http://www.bernardiwarranty.com is quoting $ 970.00

JC
  • srirambsriramb Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2009 Honda accord yesterday and they sold me the extended warranty (which is essentially a mechanical breakdown package with rental and towing and hotel stay if required. I made good research on the prices of the car and not the warranty. They sold 7yr/100K for $1680. I know this is a rip-off. But I have 60-day cancellation period.

1)Is it really necessary to have extended warranty on the car?
    2)My insurance company offeres a mechanical breakdown package (which is optional) and costs around $140 a year
    3)I have seen other people mention myhondawarranty.com. Is that a website to go to?
    4)Does American Honda sell any extended warranty themselves?

I would appreciate suggestions and advice on this regard.

Thanks
    Ram
    3)I have seen other people mention myhondawarranty.com. Is that a website to go to?
    4)Does American Honda sell any extended warranty themselves?

Honda Care that is sold by Honda dealers (including myhondawarranty.com) is administered by American Honda Finance Corporation. If you get Honda Care, you can use it at any Honda dealer nationwide.
    * What prices have my fellow Floridians paid for theirs and your terms?
    * If I find a dealership far away that is willing to give me a good deal and mine won't match, is it possible to purchase it without driving there?
    * Can someone explain what care plan it is that includes oil changes and its cost? Is it worth it?

It is my understanding, that because Florida insurance laws covers Honda Care, that throughout the state it is only sold at one price for each level of coverage. You can confirm that by calling several dealers in your area and getting a quote for the level of coverage you want. Florida residents do not have that many choices unless you have a second home out of state and can use that as a legal address to purchase online.
  • ppnffppnff Member Posts: 65
    Has anyone bought a Honda Care warranty from www.bernardiwarranty.com?

Any feedback?

Just bought a new 2010 Odyssey with tons of electronic parts.

Thank you.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    It is the same product backed by Honda, no matter you buy from dealer you purchased the car or online. Of course it is much cheaper online and with Honda Care warranty you get warranty service from any Honda dealers.
  • cw107cw107 Member Posts: 1
    I have an Odyssey that has very low miles but its 3 year factory warranty is close to expire. I have been quoted an online warranty for an out of state dealer and they have me filling out the application. The question I have is if there is any downside to padding the current mileage on the application (say by 10K) to get a little more life out of the warranty - driving habits have changes and I will probably driving this more now. The Extended warranty is 84K more than current and/or 5yrs. Any thoughts?
    If you take your Honda to be repaired in the next 10,000 miles you will have major issues. Your warranty could also be revoked.
    It could also be considered fraud, so please do not take advantage of the system. The deal you are getting by purchasing online does not need to be made any better.
    The question I have is if there is any downside to padding the current mileage on the application...

If you think the coverage is too expensive then just don't buy it rather than lying on an application. Fraud, and that is what it is, costs all of us.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The question I have is if there is any downside to padding the current mileage on the application (say by 10K) to get a little more life out of the warranty - driving habits have changes and I will probably driving this more now. The Extended warranty is 84K more than current and/or 5yrs. Any thoughts?

The downside is that you're voluntarily cutting the length of the warranty. Example. If your car is at 34K, you get 84K added onto that so you're covered to 118K. If you said you're at 24K, you're only going to get coverage until 108K. Why would that make any sense?
  • carattorneycarattorney Member Posts: 62
    Ask your insurance company if the premium goes up every 6 months as the car gets older. Geico told me that it does. Its like health insurance--goes up as you get older.
    Subject: New Honda Care® Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) Internet Policy & Guidelines

Effective November 2, 2009, American Honda Finance Corporation (AHFC) is prohibiting the sale of Honda Care VSCs on the Internet. After careful consideration, AHFC determined that Internet selling of Honda Care VSC undermines the Honda Care brand among both dealers and customers. 

Click here to review the Honda Care VSC Internet Policy and Guidelines.

A complimentary Webcast training session for the Honda Care VSC Internet Policy and Guidelines will be offered to all Honda dealers on Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 2:00pm PST.  The purpose of the Webcast training session is to review the VSC Internet Policy and Guidelines and to answer any questions or concerns that you may have.

To register for this training session, do the following:

·         Send an email to this address: VSCCompliance@nsi1919.com
    ·         Include the following information in your email:
    o       Subject Line: Webcast Registration
    o       Dealership Name
    o       Dealer Number
    o       Name of Attendee.  If more than one attendee, please include additional names and corresponding email addresses

The last day to register for the Webcast is Monday, October 12th at 12pm PST.  One day prior to the training session, you will receive an email confirmation notice that will include instructions for logging in.

We appreciate your cooperation with these efforts to protect the integrity of the Honda brand.   Please contact your AHFC Dealer Relations Manager if you have any questions.

Honda Financial Services
    Consumer Assurance Products and Services Internet Policy Headquarters

Dealers selling vehicle service contracts (VSCs) are responsible for knowing, and must comply with, all regulations and laws in any state they choose to sell VSCs.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Can we still call in after Nov 2nd to get the same competitive rate as online has right now and purchase over the phone?
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    That is a very good question. Perhaps there will be a way around this after all????
  • tdf1tdf1 Member Posts: 4
    Bad news for Saccucci Honda. Can we assume that you will still be selling them at myHondaWarranty.com until November 1st?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    There are several dealers selling online. After the ban could you visit the dealer in person and purchase the warranty? Could you call and do the transaction through regular mail? You could also buy the car at the dealer with the best ext warranty price and sales price.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    AHFC determined that Internet selling of Honda Care VSC undermines the Honda Care brand among both dealers and customers.

Bottom line is Honda is trying to protect its dealers big profit. Dealers want to sell lower but now not allowed. What if Honda cars are sold same way online like the Honda Care warranty? Is this called FREE TRADE? Nightmare and unfair to the consumers!!!!!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    FWIW: ..........purchasing a brand new Honda 6M coupe via CarsD.........the delivering dealership in SF back bay pushed the HCEW big time...................

(Well, it's what they do...................)

Their price? $1800 (down from $2800 only today!!)................

On line, the price was under $600. From NYC no less...........

I'm hoping the little Rhode Island dealership will prevail (bu tnot holding my breath)

ez sends............
  • aghonda2aghonda2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2009 Honda Accord EXL sedan, and want to get the warranty (the car is still at the dealer's). I live in Fla but have a house in NY, if I buy the warranty online using my NY address will it be valid in Fla?