Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This discussion is about extended warranties. Please post your question in something like:

Midsize Sedans 2.0

or

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

Thanks.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    joefar75joefar75 Member Posts: 46
    I was getting 2 quotes from Honda dealerships for hondacare for my new odyssey.
    I got a quote of 1130 for an 8 year, 120k mile plan. I asked if they could do any better since another dealer was at the same price, except they were giving me a $30 credit towards accessories, and he said that If I could wait till the middle of June there would be some great discounts. Of course I can wait, But Im wondering if anyone knows what he's talking about.
  • Options
    skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    I live in North Carolina. What's the best price I should pay for an 8 year 100,000 mile extended warranty ($0 deductable, $100 deductable). Dealer I purchased car from wants (for Hondacare) $1,195 for an 8 yr 100,000 mile warranty ($100 deductable). No deductable would be $250 more. Dealer said something about Honda extended warranty prices going up next week - is that true?
  • Options
    temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    Don't put much stock in that. That is, most likely, a salesman's story. The business office person who handled your papers gets a cut from that. I am sure that there are other cuts that go around. It is a lucrative thing for the dealership. If you decide to take it, I would negotiate on that. On a 2006, I refused to take the warranty and it came down $200.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    What's the best price I should pay for an 8 year 100,000 mile extended warranty ($0 deductable, $100 deductable)

Just go to one of the online dealers such as:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/

They'll give you a quote on the same Honda Care that will probably be less than your local dealer.
  • Options
    limaguy79limaguy79 Member Posts: 5
    If you havent replaced your tires yet, try Bridgestone Turanza's if they're available. Ive had them on Honda's before and they worked great for all season.
  • Options
    I got a quote for $1295 on this.
    Is that a good price?

thanks
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me if Hondacare is the same as if I had bumper to bumper coverage?

Dealer being very vague and not clear.
    Probably on purpose.

thanks
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,291
    No... the extended warranty is not bumper to bumper... I'm not even sure I would characterize the original warranty that way.. but, for certain, there are more exclusions with HondaCare, compared to the original warranty.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Can anyone tell me if Hondacare is the same as if I had bumper to bumper coverage?

You can see coverage information here:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/coverage.php

If you want to compare your $1,295, you can get a quote from here:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/vehicle_info.php
  • Options
    jetzzsjetzzs Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2007 Odyssey with a warranty that expires in August. I am thinking about purchasing a HC extended warranty. I am confused, can anyone tell me how Honda Care works? Does it start from the end of the manufacturer's warranty or the purchase date of the vehicle? I have seen it portrayed both ways in quotes and on the internet. Thanks for any clarification!
  • Options
    Does it start from the end of the manufacturer's warranty or the purchase date of the vehicle?

Assuming your vehicle has more than 6,000 miles, the time and mileage will actually begin on the date you purchase the Honda Care. If you get a 5 year, 60K miles, it will be good until 5 years from the date you buy or 60,000 additional miles to what is currently on the ca--- whichever comes first.

You can go to http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/ and they will email you what options are available for a vehicle of its age.
  • Options
    jetzzsjetzzs Member Posts: 64
    jet--

Thanks so much for your reply. I think I may keep my '07 since I can get a warranty for another 5 years! I appreciate your help!
  • Options
    1douglas1douglas Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a 2006 Honda Certified Odyssey EX-L RES with 58,201 miles. I'm also looking to purchase an extended warranty with maximum coverage provided by Honda Care. Can anyone what's the maximum eligible terms are as well as a reasonable price for the Honda Care.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jimb519jimb519 Member Posts: 11
    Is it still legal for Saccucci to sell the extended warranty over the internet? The dealer offered the 7 year $0 deductible at $725 but Saccucci lists it at $625. What do the experts say about this?
  • Options
    Is it still legal for Saccucci to sell the extended warranty over the internet? What do the experts say about this?

The experts say that Saccucci is no longer selling Honda Care over the internet. In other words, you can't go to their web page and type in your credit card number and complete your order online as you used to be able to do.

You can express interest and they can email you a price quote for the various type of Honda Care's they sell. Then you can certainly call them and give them your credit card number over the phone. All perfectly legal and legitimate per American Honda.
  • Options
    cms2519cms2519 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about purchasing my leased 07 Pilot. It has 45000 miles and is out of warranty now. The dealer is quoting me about $1800 for a 4-year, 60,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty, although this was just from a discussion over the phone. I would need to bring the car in for an inspection, which will cost me about $100, and then they'll let me know what repairs would need to be done, and how much the warranty will be. Any advice on whether this is the best way to go, or if it might be better to research other independent warranty deals out there? I'm way out of my comfort/knowledge zone with this; I usually continually lease my cars, and have never purchased or been out of warranty like I am now. Thanks!
  • Options
    Any advice on whether this is the best way to go, or if it might be better to research other independent warranty deals out there?

Well, if you wanted to see what they came up with for the $100 inspection, that might not be a bad idea. If they didn't find much, maybe you pass on the warranty altogether.

You could check other independent deals though they are probably limited and pricey due to the mileage that is on the car.
  • Options
    blake14blake14 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any idea what I should expect to pay for a 2007 Honda Odyssey Extended Warranty through Honda? I have 30,000 miles on the van. Also, are there different levels of coverage? Thanks
  • Options
    Does anyone have any idea what I should expect to pay for a 2007 Honda Odyssey Extended Warranty through Honda?

As long as the vehicle has been in service less than 36 months, you can find out your options here:

• Options
    cw30000cw30000 Member Posts: 11
    have teh same problem with my 09 ody. I can only noticed the front passenger side metals are all rusted. i haven't really check anything else.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The experts say that Saccucci is no longer selling Honda Care over the internet. In other words, you can't go to their web page and type in your credit card number and complete your order online as you used to be able to do.

But what happened to the discount? I recently got some quotes for my S2000 and was shocked at the prices. Either HC prices have really gone up or the deep discounts went away with the Internet selling. There used to be a bunch of online dealer competing for the business with prices like $50 over cost...
  • Options
    hondaboygeniushondaboygenius Member Posts: 4
    But what happened to the discount? I recently got some quotes for my S2000 and was shocked at the prices. Either HC prices have really gone up or the deep discounts went away with the Internet selling. There used to be a bunch of online dealer competing for the business with prices like $50 over cost...

The discount has not changed, it is still at $0 markup over cost. Honda Care actually raised contract prices at the beginning of the year around $50. As for the s2000 it is the most expensive non-Acura vehicle contract. There are just very few of them out there and the parts are expensive.

I recently purchased a contract from Saccucci as the Honda dealership I work in still wasn't competitive in price even with our "employee discount". If you use the plan finder on their website you get a customized quote instantly via email. All I had to do was then call and give my credit card. That was easy.
  • Options
    So HC's still available through them?
  • Options
    So HC's still available through them?

Yes, it is. I think that's the whole point of their Honda Care website.
  • Options
    That's what I thought, thanks.
  • Options
    jsmith31jsmith31 Member Posts: 2
    For new Accord EX-L about 300 miles, here ae the quotes I received

HondaCare -
    Saccucci 8/120/0 - $1020
    Hyannis 8/120/0 - $995

Third party appear to be charging more -
    Carchex - 7/100/0 - $1824
    Warranty Direct - 8/120/0 - $2156

I went for there best coverage package in each. Based on the prices I was wondering if the third parties were offering more coverage than Honda Care. Let me know your opinions.
  • Options
    Based on the prices I was wondering if the third parties were offering more coverage than Honda Care.

I really doubt that the third parties give you that much more coverage. And having to go through a third party for reimbursement of repairs may not be worth the extra hassle. With a Honda Care, the repairing dealer just gets their own reimbursement and you do not do a thing.

Keep in mind Saccucci and Hyannis sell very close to dealer cost. Your typical dealership will put a markup on the Honda Care and they could approach the third party prices.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If the 3rd party warranty is more than half the price of the mfr. warranty -- go with the mfr. It's only worth the risk and hassle if it is way cheaper.
  • Options
    betasheetsbetasheets Member Posts: 11
    I got the same quote for 8/120/0 on Honda Care for new 2010 Accord EX-L. Does anyone know if the Saccucci prices are negotiable? Should I not bother trying to bargain them down a few dollars?

thanks,
  • Options
    They are selling at dealer cost, and fighting a lawsuit to keep online Honda Care sales alive. What more can you ask for?
  • Options
    Here is another strange, I noticed the quotes are all for $0 deductible, 5 years, and 84k miles. When I asked about lesser plans (like $0/5/60k) they said they cost MORE than the 84k miles - which is why they didn't quote me on anything other than the 84k plan. What? It would be nice to save some money and only pay for 60k plan (which is plenty for me) but I would not want to spend more to get less...

Also, on vehicles with more than 6k on the clock the plans run from the day you buy the PLAN and not back to the day you purchased THE CAR - right? So for my S2000 I would be covered for 84k MORE miles and 5 more YEARS - right? Maybe that is why the plans are so high now - used to buy a 5/60k HC plan and they just tacked on to the end of the standard warranty (so you were out of HC in 5 years) - now you could be covered up to 8 years if you buy HC 3 yrs after you buy the car?
  • Options
    Also, on vehicles with more than 6k on the clock the plans run from the day you buy the PLAN and not back to the day you purchased THE CAR - right? So for my S2000 I would be covered for 84k MORE miles and 5 more YEARS - right?

Yes, you have that right. You didn't say how many miles or years you currently have on your vehicle now. But obviously it's more than 6K and after 6K, the durations and mileage of the Honda Care changes.

But it's tacked on to whatever your odometer currently says and it's 5 years from the data of purchase.
  • Options
    But it's tacked on to whatever your odometer currently says and it's 5 years from the data of purchase

Date of purchase of the warranty, not the car?

So on my older S2000 I had a HC that was like 6 years, but that was from date of purchase (no matter when the HC was purchased). Now I can basically get an 8 year cover if I buy right at the end of my first 36 months from car purchase. I guess that is another reason the HC now costs a lot more than my old plan did...
  • Options
    Date of purchase of the warranty, not the car?

Yes, date of purchase from the warranty.
  • Options
    sb605sb605 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    The Honda CPO Brochure says that the usual 1/12 and 7/100 warranty can be extended to up to 8/120 for both power-train and non power-train coverage.

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used

Has anyone here bought such an extended warranty? What should it cost?

Two weeks ago, as I was buying the Odyssey, the finance manager offered a "wrap-around" Honda Care 7/100 full warranty for $600 (he started at $900).

Now, I am reading stuff about not being able to add such a warranty after the sale... Is that true? Has anyone done this "after" the sale?

(2006 Odyssey EX-L with 51K miles. CPO full coverage ends in another 11 months/62K miles and power-train coverage ends in 32 months/100,000 total miles)
  • Options
    mrmike38mrmike38 Member Posts: 7
    Im from Hawaii and bought a EX about 3 months ago. I paid $25,300 They said I got a great deal because they usually mark it up 2600. more. About the Extended warranty... Mine was for 7yrs or 70K whichever came first. Cost ; $1802. First of all I drive approx. 1400 miles p/mo so at that rate I will hit the max in only 50mo or 4yrs2mo. We all know the car comes with a 3 yr warranty that doesnt add coverage. So in reality I'd be paying$1802 for onl14 months of protection. If people think thats a good deal I need to get into the auto warranty business. Please research this by searching for automobile extended warranties- how to cancel after purchase. I quickly got my money back. As far as my buying experience. Honda Windward SUCKS don't buy there!
  • Options
    So in reality I'd be paying$1802 for onl14 months of protection. Please research this by searching for automobile extended warranties- how to cancel after purchase.

Why not research how to get a better deal? You didn't say what model you bought, but for a Honda Accord, for example,

has 7 year 80K for $665. If you need more mileage, you can go up to 7 year 120K for $965. Either way, it's much less than what your local dealer was charging you.
  • Options
    yossarian3yossarian3 Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone have any suggestions for an extended warranty on a used Civic Hybrid we just purchased? It is a 2007, with 44K miles, so HondaCare won't work for us.

Thanks.
  • Options
    The biggest thing I noticed is that car for car it is much more expensive in Hawaii than on the mainland. Its not because it costs more because of shipping as everyone seems to think. Everyone pays MSRP or less over there but in Hawaii, Honda Windward for example, show the price for a 2010 Element EX including standard equipment and dealer-added equipment and services a MSRP of $23,345. + for adjusted market value $2487.+ for the appearance package $525.( wait a minute!!! doesn't that come under dealer added equipment).Expensive you say because of shipping, well read on. this sticker lists the price as $26,357.25. Hold on...in small print it reads,
    DEALERS PRICE FOR THIS VEHICLE AS EQUIPPED.DOES NOT INCLUDE STATE AND LOCAL TAXES, LICENSE AND TITLE FEES, DOC FEE OR FINANCE CHARGES, IF ANY
    On the sticker that everyone is familiar seeing the MSRP lists at $22,635 +710. for destination and handling ( not including taxes and fees listed above) for a total $23,345.
    This represents a $3012. difference.
    SO YOU SEE ITS NOT THE SHIPPING COST THAT MAKES IT SO EXPENSIVE HERE IN HAWAII. ITS GREEDY CAR DEALERS LIKE HONDA WINDWARD THAT MAKES IT SO EXPENSIVE. I CANT SPEAK FOR THE OTHER HONDA DEALERS IN HAWAII BUT IN EVERY WAY {{{{ HONDA WINDWARD SUCKS }}}}
  • Options
    SEARCH FOR AFTER MARKET EXTENDED WARRANTIES THERE ARE SEVERAL TO CHOOSE FROM FOR NEW AND USED VEHICLES GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3rd party warranty provider? I have been on the phone with a couple and the hard sell makes me very nervous. That and the fact that I got them to cut the price in 1/2 with little discussion. It leads me to believe they are selling snake oil.
  • Options
    I would never buy a 3rd party warranty - just too many horror stories and troubles to make them worth having.

Just enjoy your Honda, you should be OK - it IS a Honda, right? The hybrid stuff is covered to 8 yr and 80k or so, I think.

If you wanted to be covered you should have purchased a CPO Civic Hybrid, one new enough to get Hondacare, or a new model.
  • Options
    The dealer has a Honda Care warranty that offers 4/48K coverage. It is around $1,600. My concern is that I didn't think Honda offered Honda Care on cars with over 36K miles.

If it is real, that seems pretty reasonable to stretch my powertrain warranty to almost 95K miles. The only thing I am really worried about is the transmission. As you said, the batteries are covered for 8/80K.

The warranty also covers electronics, which I don't care about, but having had an Acura GPS crap out on me, it would be nice to have the coverage if/when the Civic GPS craps out.
  • Options
    "Vehicles with greater then 36,000 miles are not eligible for the Honda Care Extended Warranty" You also have to be within 3 years or purchase date.

Perhaps your dealer misunderstood or they are planning on putting down the wrong mileage on your HC application? If they put down the wrong mileage that would be fraud - and your coverage would also end at "mileage they used" + 48k.
  • Options
    I don't think the dealer intends to put the wrong mileage down. That would be stupid, let alone illegal. There are so many documents that state the mileage when we purchase the car.

The Honda website itself states that there are Honda Care warranties for non-Honda used cars. Perhaps that is the warranty the dealer is offering.

I have asked him to send me all of the literature since I was unaware of the ability to get coverage after 36K miles. Maybe a call to Honda itself is the best path.
  • Options
    I spoke to Honda directly today. If I purchase the warranty from the car dealer, I can get a 4 yr, 48K mile warranty that covers all mechanical defects, including powertrain and electronics. This is true even though the car has 44K miles on it. The warranty mileage begins from purchase. What that means is basically an additional 32K mile warranty for the powertrain and a new warranty on electronics.

The catch is I can only buy the warranty from the dealer that sold me the car. If the car had under 36K miles, I could buy a Honda Care warranty from any authorized dealer.
  • Options
    The other catch is that it can only be purchased at the time of vehicle purchase.
  • Options
    Yes, but I can do that as I am completing purchase today.
  • Options
    pathangipathangi Member Posts: 10
    I bought Extended Warranty for $1800 at the time of purchase, later i found it is Zurich which is not Honda Care. Finance manager said that is the discounted price and best ,price of the year BS, which i found later.

I am planning to cancel it and go for Honda provided warranty.

Advice me on whom to contact in Edison, NJ area to get the extended warranty for my new car which has less than 100 miles.