Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    That’s exactly what gives you traction. I think you’re talking about what gives you better acceleration in wet/snowy conditions.

That is true but if you have 4 tires turning instead of just 2 then you will have greater traction. Let's forget about acceleration for this discussion. If I am sitting on an ice patch with the rear tires and packed snow with the front tires, I will take an AWD car any day of the week (well assuming it's wintertime ;) ).

I completely understand all of you guys that find the RWD cars with winter tires acceptable. However, there is no dispute that an AWD car with equivalent tires is better in the snow in terms of traction and not getting stuck.

I often find myself shifting my Jeep GC into 4WD driving to work on a particularly snowy day to prevent the back end from sliding out on me. I also have extensive snow driving experience from growing up in Shipo's new home state as well as living in Colorado where they don't seem to know what a snowplow is at times.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    you can take the car in for an oil change at the one year mark. it's up to you. according to my sa he knew a lady who went over 2 years before getting an oil change. no big deal.
  • Options
    got_vtecgot_vtec Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the comments on the sport suspension. An interesting note: on the 325i, the wheels are normally 16", so the sport suspension upgrades that to 17". The 330i already comes with 17" wheels, so with the sport suspension, that goes up to 18".

The local dealer has a non-sport 325i which I will try when time permits.... I'm not sure how I feel about ordering a sport version sight-unseen, if I get to that point.

My friend got a ZHP which has a tighter suspension and that was a bit too stiff for me.

Is that a special option?

I might add that the Prelude ('95 VTEC) is faster off the line in dry conditions than the xi.

Yikes, that's scary. Here I want to move from a Prelude to a 325i thinking that it would be an upgrade! :surprise: Seriously, maybe the AWD is sapping the performance a bit.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The ZHP package was only on the e46 models. It's sorta special...different cams, headers, ecu, muffler, suspension, differential, short-shift kit. it was bmw's sorry mea culpa to the people who wanted an m3 sedan. we're still mad about that omission.

Oh and it also has some dorky cosmetic upgrades.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    got_vtec: Coming from a Prelude, you'll definitely want to try out the Sport Package first. YOu want minimal options, go with the Sport Package and 5 speed manual.

paule: '95 VTEC...nice car:) I went back and read my post and agree with you. If you have a RWD car and an AWD car both equipped with proper snow tires, the AWD car will have better traction off the line. But when it comes to emergency braking and accident avoidance, the extra weight of the AWD car will be the difference between stopping a inch short of the guy's bumper in front of you and rear ending him.

I believe AWD gives most people a false sense of security. There are many cases where it is necessary.

Most people buy an AWD car and don't put snow tires on it, they feel the all season tires are adequate.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    No ,no you get a Free service each year regardless of miles. That includes also such things as a cabin filter ect.. Not only that but they do quite a lot of software upgrades , and you can get it all done at once and enjoy your Bimmer loaner. My very well regarded indy shop showed me a Bimmer and a MB they had torn down other day for oil sludge. I shudder to think about these lease cars that people won't even get a free service done :mad: . I will at their recomendation and Mr Shipo do 7500 on my dime.

DL
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I test drove a 325 non-sport. It handled real well, great steering too (non-active of course). Unless you are auto-Xing the thing, it's hard to imagine it not having enough handling for most people.

And considering the crappy, pot hole filled roads in my area (NJ), the extra sidewall height is actually a plus, since it tends to make a the ride a bit better, but more importantly, they are less susceptible to damage. I have 215/45's on my car now, and someitmes it's a full-time job being paranoid that I might catch a hole.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Oh, even though it was a short drive, I was very impressed. This car drove real, real nice, and the interior seemed like a nice update, in some ways it seemed like a jump to a higher class of car.

It actually felt nicer, and almost as roomy, as the '01 525i I had briefly.

• Options
    I might add that the Prelude ('95 VTEC) is faster off the line in dry conditions than the xi.

Yikes, that's scary. Here I want to move from a Prelude to a 325i thinking that it would be an upgrade! Seriously, maybe the AWD is sapping the performance a bit.

It didn't come as a big surprise to me. Before we purchased the BMW I did a weight to horsepower comparison and the Prelude had the advantage on paper.
    So when I finally got a chance to compare the two (wife driving the Prelude; me in the Bimmer), she beat me off the line.

Unfortunately for me, both cars are automatics but at least that gave a fair comparison. The BMW loses in the weight department. The Prelude is a very light car. I did not compare a RWD automatic 325i to the Prelude but I still think the Prelude would take it but it would be a closer contest.

Little sidenote: the Prelude is a little unhappy today because a coyote decided to become intimate with the bumper while I was traveling about 60 mph.
  • Options
    I believe AWD gives most people a false sense of security. There are many cases where it is necessary.

Most people buy an AWD car and don't put snow tires on it, they feel the all season tires are adequate.

I agree with everything you wrote. An AWD car with the all season tires definitely gives you a false sense of security. If you really need an AWD car, put snow tires on it and then you have something!
  • Options
    anyway, we don't get enough real snow around here to make it a crucial issue. A BMW with real snows and all the electronic nannies will manage just fine on I95.

Besides, if it really is slippery, you will only be able to go about 2 mph anyway (from the traffic)!

• Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    Last night my wife and I test drove the new 3. It was a 325i with automatic transmission, premium package, cold weather package, and metallic paint. MSRP was nearly 37K, and that's for a sports sedan without zenons (which should come standard) and without sports package, without a decent stereo and without any of the more extravagent options.

The circumstances for the test drive were great. My son's friend's father is a technician at a BMW dealer in Greenwich, CT. He was able to persuade the sales manager to let him take home a new 3 for us to test drive at our leisure. It sure was nice to be able to take a long test drive on familiar twisty roads, without having a salesperson along for the ride. We spent more than an hour driving the car and looking it over.

We both liked the car very much, and I think that we will end up getting either this car (though equipped somewhat differently) or the new IS 250 which is coming out in September.

Fortunately, we are among those that find the car's design to be attractive. So no issues there.

I would say that acceleration was adequate but not great, in the context of the sports sedan segment. The engine has a real nice sound.

I found the steering to be precise and the handling to be very good. The handling would be even better with 17 inch wheels/tires. This car somehow comes standard with 16s and it seems that the only way to upgrade to 17s is to take the costly sports package which gives a harsher ride.

I found the brakes to be just right, not too grabby as complained about in many previous posts.

The run flat tires are a bit noisy, which detracts from an otherwise quiet car. I want to hear the sound of the engine, not the tires. This car comes standard with run flats and there is no option to "downgrade" to non-run flats. Also, never having had run flats before, I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of having no spare tire.
    Run flats are another gripe.

I found the interior to be pleasant and surprisingly roomy. There is now actually sufficient legroom for rear seat passengers (well, at least for 2 of them anyway - - legroom for the middle seat occupant is obstructed by the protruding air vents).

The driver's seat is comfortable, firm but not too firm. IMO, the leatherette seats in my father-in-law's 2004 325ci are way too firm.

Some minor nits. The cupholders must be a joke. The location (perched above the radio controls) is scary. And geez, could they have made these things any flimsier? Very thin flexible plastic. Come on. And the stereo is just OK at best. Sounded tinny and distorted when I turned up the volume.
  • Options
    fla528fla528 Member Posts: 17
    Appreciate the reply! as to the comment about my wife getting a mini-van:: over my dead body..! Also, I do not know anyone who has a BMW and drives a minivan ( kinda like oil and water ). Actually my second car is a 2000 LX470..wich pulls my boat and hauls my scuba gear..

But back on track here.. I have had 6 BMWs since 1984 and I will never get one again without the sports package...A BMW without the sports package is like Pam Anderson in a suit and tie. If you want a car that has luxury, and decent to drive buy Lexus or Mercedes. If you want cheap buy a Chevy. However; if love to drive for drivings sake....BUY a BMW with sports package and Xenons..

Me... I did add H&R sport springs to my 2004 525 and WOW it did make a big difference! But I cannot seem to solve the Xenon problem, again I did not order them because I never had them in the past. Of course I never had a cell phone until 1994 and now I cannot live without one. Also one of my friends has a M5 and it has Xenons..once I drove it at night..., and now I am hooked...BUY XENONS folks, if your over 40 like me .....it helps at night!!

But if anyone know how to convert my headlights to Xenons ..please feel free to respond ...!!!
  • Options
    rs1157rs1157 Member Posts: 41
    SO far my review is pretty up there.

I got the non sport package and it is great no complaints.
    Mind you if you get the 17 inch tires for those rims the replacements will cost you 250+ (tires). compared to 165 (tires) for 16 inch versions.

The cons for the car.

Terrible cup holder, all german cars need a crash course in cup holders.

Bluetooth, ok +/- not the greatest, cant scroll throught he phone book from the steering wheel controls, only the radio controls, I think thats more dangerous then playing with the cell phone.

adjustable pedals, should have made this optional. I got flong legs

sound system, although it has a million speakers, something is missing, and you cant get the speakers changed bmw, specially modified them so you cant change um out.

I would rank this car a 9.8/10

If you get the car serviced at different dealer from where you purchased it do you still get a free loaner? Where in the agreement does it say free loaner.

Ok all If you have any other comments please post um (I know I have to tell you guys about this)
  • Options
    "This car somehow comes standard with 16s and it seems that the only way to upgrade to 17s is to take the costly sports package which gives a harsher ride"

Or what i did purchase some brand new 330i 17" take off's for a fraction of the cost. I realize there is some hassle involved however.

Now, after reaching break in i decided to take a little road trip to see what kind of highway mileage i could achieve and visit the family. 1st off compaired to my former 323i (170) it pulls like a tank. Yeah its not 700hp or what ever infiniti, acura advertises but its useful power, not torque steer boredom.

The specs 266 miles, 9 gallons used, 80mph cruise speed. So roughly 29 mpg. I am pleased my E46 never got 29 on the same trip . Dallas TX to Tulsa ,OK. I75.

Also the OBC is lifetime total Im assuming ? it says 24.7 mpg right now and a average lifetime speed of 40.1. I wish it had two trips like most cars do now days.

For the Bad, i got a small window "scuff" not chip from a nice tractor trailer thanks pal! So its not going to be repair able, but its not in line of sight. Sigh*. Also i noticed my right front wheel lip had a battle scar as well.(not from a curb) but looks like from a rock or something as well.

DL
  • Options
    barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    330i ordered May 10, 2005
    Ya, 7 week wait is over today 6/29/2005 :)

Monaco Blue/Terra

Automatic
    Navigation
    Satellite Radio
    Sport Package
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Rear Power Sunshade
    Park Distance Control

Alarm
    Carpet Mats
    All-Weather Mats
    Truck Liner
    Wood Shift Knob
    6 Disc CD Changer

• Options
    chatkatchatkat Member Posts: 41
    She's really beautiful. You have excellent taste. Her twin is on a cruise somewhere on the way to me - except mine is Sparkling Graphite and Gray interior and I got Active Steering. What'd you pay, if I may ask? Buy or Lease?
  • Options
    jynxjynx Member Posts: 9
    wow! you got the cream of the crop there! :P

anyway, this is my first bmw and i notice that the steering is ALOT harder, meaning it takes an "effort" to steer the steering wheel, than i was used to. is that normal? or is it part of sport package? thanks!
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Beautiful car. Enjoy. ;)
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Very nice combo. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Also, I do not know anyone who has a BMW and drives a minivan ( kinda like oil and water ).

Oh, this one is just too good to pass up!

Shipo, your response please!
  • Options
    My '00 328i steers like a dream (I have sport) but the 330i '06 model was even better on the test drive - with active steering. They are tighter with the low profile tires, perhaps? I have always like the BMW steering. Our 7 series has a slightly different feel at the wheel but it's higher, different tires.
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    I would think if you're going to spend $1200 for a stereo, you might as well look into aftermarket. If you got to a good installer with premium brands, of course you can spend a lot more than $1200.

But OEM stereos and stereos installed by dealers seem overpriced. I remember years ago, someone I knew was getting a Civic but the dealer wanted $600 to install a basic cassette player with a couple of speakers.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Hrm... other than the minivan, the others fit me. :) I have a Chevy truck (for now) for hauling camping, scuba, and sailing gear. I have a Jeep for offroading, and we're looking at a luxury sport sedan (non-BMW). We still have the 3er. :)

I agree, xenons are the way to go. Adaptive lighting is incredible!

There are sites for converting to xenon, but don't know of any right off hand...

-Paul
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Also, I do not know anyone who has a BMW and drives a minivan ( kinda like oil and water ).

Well, I have had 89 325ix (In Germany), 02 530i and now 03 M5. Wife has the 04 Sienna, which I usually end up driving with the kids on weekends. So there's at least one more, other than Shipo.
  • Options
    Ever see a Sienna like this?
    Sienna Rampvan
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    What is your point, please?
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I recall reading that BMW will be coming out with a minivan even though they previously said they would never do it. Good news, we can finally look forward to one that can handle. Heck, they built the best handling SUV with the X3.
  • Options
    Pat,
    Was I really that out of line with my last post?
    Feel free to remove it.
    I was just trying to show that minivans aren't always boring.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No one said you were out of line, I just asked what was your point. I'm still not sure of the answer to that - yes, some minivan conversation has come up and that's fine, but the Sienna is not the subject here. In any case, let's just get back on topic - thanks.
  • Options
    e90sede90sed Member Posts: 15
    Bought my 325 two weeks ago.
    Pro - handles great with plenty of power. Fit and finish is outstanding.

Con - Road noise. Possible cause are the run flat tires.
    Whine from the transmission in road gear. Drove two both have the same noise.
    Service dept did not think there was a problem.
    No daytime running lights and no behind the front seat storage nets.

Called BMW USA with these results.
    Dealer will program running lights at no cost.
    I was placed on the list to have my seatbacks replaced when the part becomes available.

They have been receiving a lot of complaints about road noise.

All in all not a bad attempt at re designing the vehicle.
  • Options
    doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    "Also, I do not know anyone who has a BMW and drives a minivan ( kinda like oil and water )."

Well, I drive a 330 convertible AND a Toyota Sienna. Wife drives a Lexus RX330. Sometimes I need oil and sometimes I need water. :P
  • Options
    barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    Thanks to all that replyed with nice comments. Appeciated.
    I bought my car & paid full MSRP of $48,850.00.
    Where I believe I did well, got $2,000.00 more for my trade in.
  • Options
    wildcatjonwildcatjon Member Posts: 13
    330i/tisilver/black leather/prem/sport/cold weather/navi/sirius/poplar -- $1500 over invoice - no maco, no training fees. Ecstatic over my deal after seeing what others are paying.
  • Options
    Could the road noise be new tires? I drove about 1,200 miles, & noticed a slight decrease in the road noise. Not that there was a lot to begin with. How many miles have you put on yours?
  • Options
    Going to get re-delivery on my ED E90. It took about 33 days total!!! That is quite good for Dallas. Have to say, I've been missing the car. I was about to seek professional help when I found myself tracking the car daily. Cheers.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Also, I do not know anyone who has a BMW and drives a minivan ( kinda like oil and water )."

Hmmm, well, as mentioned by a few other folks, up until a couple of months ago, we had a 530i and not one but two minivans. Do I wish they were BMW minivans? Yup. To me, the perfect combo would be a sweet little 330i with at least the 6-Speed manual, PP and SP, and a similarly optioned BMW minivan. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm in the middle of a two week business trip, in the 1998 Caravan no less (had to bring along a couple of servers, my bicycle and lots of tools and stuff). I'm currently hanging out in the western suburbs of Chicago, then on to New York for a couple of days, and then back to New Hampshire next Thursday. Needless to say I'll be primarily in "lurk" mode at midnight until I catch up on some sleep after the trip is over.

In other news:

- I saw my first E90 on the road yesterday heading south on I-355 near Addison, IL, unfortunately I was heading north so I just caught a glimpse of it, and couldn't determine its configuration.

- As a general observation, I see considerably fewer BMWs around here compared to the NYC or New England areas, and so far at least, I've yet to see a single one that I could clearly identify with the Sport Package. In fact, the bulk of the E46s that I've seen here have been of the "xi" ilk. Hmmm, I lived here in the Chicago area for nearly 13 years and maybe it's just my aging memory, however, I don't recall there being all that much snow around here, and certainly not enough to cause me to want AWD. Go figure.

- My business partner here in Illinois, a staunchly "Buy American" kind of guy, recently saw the movie "The Transporter" and fell in love with the 1999 E38 735i 5-Speed, even to the point of saying, "Hell, I'd go back to driving a stick shift for that car." Unfortunately my response to him was, "Uhhh, my friend, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, however, that car came over here equipped with either a 4.4 liter V8 or a 5.0 liter V12, both of which were connected to the wheels by an automatic transmission." In any event, as soon as our new venture starts turning a profit, he is going to be in the market for a 2001 740i. It seems that after driving my 530i 5-Speed a number of times he's primed to revert back to the dark side. ;-)

Talk to y'all soon.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    vtecvtec Member Posts: 3
    I am very disappointed when I called the dealership recently and they told me the latest info from their website indicates no SMG offered in the 3 series for 06 as of now. I really want the smg or else I'll be ordering with an auto tranny in september.
  • Options
    aldosevenaldoseven Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my brand new 6 speed 3301 today and drove that baby all day. WOW !!!!!!!!!
    Thats all i can say. WOW. Im just overwhelmed. This car is definitely the ultimate driving car. Im soooooo happy im driving one i still cant believe im driving it. I got the Titanium on Black leather with sport package. Those 18 inch wheels make the car look super hot. The Xenon lights are hot too.
    This car is out of control :). Handles and drives like a BMW.
  • Options
    I saw a new E90 today on the San Diego Freeway (in West Los Angeles) in what appeared to be a minty green metallic color. I think it has the Sport Pkg because of the wheels. It was very beautiful.

I think it is definitely a WOW car. The next three weeks are going to go awfully slow! Also, I think the Titanium is really a great color. My E46 is that color and if I hadn't lived with it all these years, I would have considered it again. Next one after this. The Sparkling Graphite will be a great alternative for me with the grey interior.
  • Options
    e90sede90sed Member Posts: 15
    1200 miles. Would be nice to have a decrease but don't expect it from what BMW says.

More of our roads are being rough topped to provide better wet traction, guess I will turn the radio up a little more!!
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    I noticed that the BMW-USA site had the new (2006) 325xi wagon, I thought they would have the 325xi sedan out before the wagon, which has been the pattern in the past. Has anyone seen any pricing information on the 2006 325xi sedan yet? As far as I know, its still schedule for September production.
  • Options
    bmwboy29bmwboy29 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Wstevec!
    Yes I know its so annoying. I have ordered my 325xi last month and I have been waiting to hear from the dealer with my production #. I think the wagon will be released after the sedan,however. I have been quoted ~$44,000 for my 325xi with all options including the cold weather package and premium package. I did not want the advanced cruise control system though. So along with you I will be waiting for September to arrive. Hope that helps! :blush:
  • Options
    Not to out do you, but I have had a deposit on a 325xi since January, hopefully it will be delivered sometime in September. I am going to light a fire under my salesman this week to get an update. Do you happen to have the invoice and retail pricing on the 325xi? I have only seen this for the 325i/330i. Thankfully, September is only a few months away!
  • Options
    Well what I have here is a vehicle inquiry report that has the following:
    325xi wholesale price of: $29,300
    MSRP price of: $32,200
    with all of my options I have chosen all the options except the dynamic cruise control and he quoted me $44,415
    Hope that can help!
  • Options
    Does anyone know when in September the xi 3 series will be released? early or late? anyone hear anything let me know! Thanks! :)
  • Options
    Thats fast! I have to do that next time. I did see another SG on the road other day, Nice.

DL
  • Options
    I thought 33 days was fast too. I'm heading back to Munich, as soon as they come out with the new ZSG tranny. I will probably get a 330i, ZSG (of course), carbon black, sports package, etc. I hope it's here next year. If it goes into '07, I would like to take a serious look at the M3.
  • Options
    I just spoke to my salesman and he said production will begin in early September and delivery will be late September/early October. He said by the end of July or first week in August he will have the Production Number available which will allow me to track its production on the BMW site. Since I put my deposit down in January he said mine will be first delivered to the dealership. Lets hope its one time, my free service is about to expire on my Audi!!
This discussion has been closed.