Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Trying to decide how to sell - Fix up or as is?

sspradlinsspradlin Member Posts: 1
edited May 2015 in Ford
Hello,

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition that I am wanting to sell. It needs a heater core, and this is an expensive job. It will cost apx. $750 to have it done.

I am trying to decide whether to try to sell it as-is, and disclose that it needs the heater core, or go ahead and bite the bullet and have it repaired, then sell it.

I even considered advertising it on Craigslist with two prices, one repaired and one not, just in case someone wanted to do it themselves.

Has anyone faced a similar decision on selling a vehicle? Would the market of buyers be way too small if it is not repaired? (It is otherwise in really good condition and runs fine) Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2015
    If you have decided to sell your car, you have to be honest about the car's condition to avoid future problems with the buyer.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    Bill of sale with "as is" should cover you there.

I've sent up a flare to get some of our local experts to weigh in with their opinion.

I guess the real question is how much of the repair price can you get back with a higher selling price?

A few more questions:

Where are you located?
    How many miles?
    What trim level?
    Other than the heater core, are any other repairs needed?
    How good is the overall condition - tires, interior, etc.?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    When I lived in So. California we used our heaters so rarely that we would simply bypass the heater cores when they leaked. I would price the car accordingly and disclose it to the potential buyers.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    sspradlin said:

Hello,

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition that I am wanting to sell. It needs a heater core, and this is an expensive job. It will cost apx. $750 to have it done.

I am trying to decide whether to try to sell it as-is, and disclose that it needs the heater core, or go ahead and bite the bullet and have it repaired, then sell it.

I even considered advertising it on Craigslist with two prices, one repaired and one not, just in case someone wanted to do it themselves.

Has anyone faced a similar decision on selling a vehicle? Would the market of buyers be way too small if it is not repaired? (It is otherwise in really good condition and runs fine) Thanks!

I'll just throw my two cents worth in.....just to think about it.

I don't know much about mechanical issues so I would hesitate to buy a car with a problem such as a faulty heater core. The problem would be, is that problem hiding another problem.

You make a good point though, if someone can fix it themselves they could save a few bucks.

You can always sell "as is" but that really waves a red flag for me.

You could try to sell it first 1) needs a heater core - great car and save if you have some mechanical ability, and 2) if that doesn't work might as well get it fixed first before listing again.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    If you can recoup the repair cost, then repair it and sell. Doubtful with an '01 though. You can always trade it in to a dealer. No surprises to them. If a car isn't running right I don't want to sell to a private party myself as it might have other issues too. I wouldn't feel right about selling it. But a dealership has their own mechanics.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited May 2015
    14 year old vehicle, presumably closing in on 150K miles or more. Sell as is. Take what you can get. Take it to a Buy Here, Pay Here lot, and ask them what they'd give. Wouldn't put any more money into it.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    If its overall average and the miles are in that 150k range, then it is only worth about $2k-$3k anyway. Miles, condition, and actual model (and 4wd or 2wd?) would help immensely here in determining worth, but odds are you are better off advertising it as is for $1995 and taking ... well, again, I don't quite know. $1000 if its a 2wd and $1500 if 4wd.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It really depends on the condition of the rest of the vehicle, and also what your expectations are for selling price. If you just want to unload it, and it has some dings or worn carpet or needs tires or some such, then yeah, just clean it up as best you can and advertise it as needing a heater core. But if the car is a real beauty and could command top dollar, then you will probably make more money by fixing it. The market value for, say, a clean 2001 Expedition with 150K on it isn't very high to begin with, so that's also a factor. What $$$ would you be satisfied with, as it sits?