Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Pacifica: Care & Maintenance

Comments

• Options
    mnpacificamnpacifica Member Posts: 5
    Thanks! I'm hoping this will motivate my dealer. I'll find out at my appointment on Monday.
  • Options
    ghendersghenders Member Posts: 2
    My Pacifica stalled under the exact same conditions as others here--slowing from 35 mph to make a right turn. It's back at the dealer, but of course they can't recreate the stall. I'd appreciate hearing if anyone successfully resolves it--our service guy said there's no such thing as a "throttle module" on the car. This is so frustrating.
  • Options
    eminereminer Member Posts: 14
    Greetings: We just picked up our 05 AWD Touring today. We got the 19" wheel package on ours. In the owners manual they state that the tire presures are listed on the drivers door jam, and they are.... But not for the 19" tires! Does anyone know what the correct factory recommended pressures should be?

TIA..
  • Options
    eminereminer Member Posts: 14
    33 psi cold f/r
  • Options
    fampacfampac Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have, had or have heard of a constant display of "Service Tire System Soon" in the lower left of the dash? On two occassions the dealer has replaced a sensor and on both occassions I got ten miles down the road before the same service warning showed up again. The car is drivable but this prevents us from programming our keys.
  • Options
    rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    The only time I get that message is when one or more tires are low. The message will alternate with a message indicating the number of tires low. Once I adjust the tires to the right pressure and drive a mile or two the message goes away.
    Note that if you have a Pacifica built before August 2003 the system also indicates which tire is low, not just how many. The way it knows which tire is which is by the mechanic placing a special magnet over the valve stems, one at a time, while following the prompts on the EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center, aka the display on the lower left of the dash).
    I hope the dealer is checking the tire pressures and not just replacing the sensors ;-)
  • Options
    fampacfampac Member Posts: 2
    Dealer swapped out all four sensors in the tires. No additioanl problems with EVIC sense.
  • Options
    brihambriham Member Posts: 33
    I've had mine for about 9500 miles. Using 87 I'm getting about 15mpg in mostly city driving...ouch! On the highway it gets about 22 or even 23mpg which is very nice. It makes a little noise shifting, very little.

I love the car overall, especially on long family trips. It's a real joy to drive on the highway, maybe a bit hefty around town but not bad.

FYI, here is a review with some good general info.

http://www.automedia.com/autoReviews/rts20030601cp/rts20030601cp.- asp?affid=
  • Options
    uncle bobuncle bob Member Posts: 3
    My Pac had the display come on telling me low tire pressure on one, then two, then three tires. As I filled the tires with air the sensor went off one tire at a time untill all were filled. Happened recently when the temp took a DIVE! System worked here.
  • Options
    Doesn't the PAC require 89 octane? At least with the 3.5 liter engine.
  • Options
    ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    I have been putting in 87 since day one due to the price of gas. I have had no difference shown. I tried higher octane (got the same mpg). I have had no engine noise or difference in horsepower. I would save yourself money and use 87.
  • Options
    tisnarditisnardi Member Posts: 2
    I am told that the newer engines are so tightly sealed that the oil lasts longer. So says an Acura dealer. So there must be something to it. BUT I can't get myself to wait that long.
  • Options
    tisnarditisnardi Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about a Pacifica, but I'm worried about value and trade in prices. Does anyone think the value is worth it?
  • Options
    bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Get a good lease deal and you won't have to worry about those things, your monthly cost will be less, and you can get a new one when your lease is up.
  • Options
    steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    I want to replace the AC (Not air) filter on my 04 Pacifica, and I haven't bothered to look in the owner's manual to see if it is user servicable.

Have any Pac owners replaced this filter themselves? A little feedback will be appreciated........

Also , has anyone installed one of those Tee-lines to backflush and change your own coolant? I bought one for a buck (Xerex) and I am considering installing it.......This has been a great car, I am just trying to save a little dough....

Thanks for the info.........
  • Options
    The AC filter is easy to replace. Not so easy is coughing up the $$ for the filter - I think mine was about $50. There is a door for the filter under the dash on the passenger side. You just slide the catch (back I think) and the door comes off. The filter frame bends to make it easier to remove. Just make sure you put the new back in the right direction.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    >I think mine was about $50

For my Buick it was $17,99 for the cabin filter at PepBoys-Purolator brand. You might check there for your next one! Did you buy it at a dealer?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Yeah, I had it in for service and I bought it from the dealer. Paid them to put it in too. I am a sucker for dealer service.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, I will replace it myself for $50.00, and I hope the other "Pep Boys" lead will pan out for less dough........I wonder how an air filter can be $12.00 and an a/c filter $50.00, other than the air filter being produced in greater quantities?
  • Options
    design117design117 Member Posts: 4
    I have a early 2004 Pacifica with the 3.5 engine. I drive in the mountains. Has anyone tried an engine chip or other modification to improve power, especially when passing?
  • Options
    rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    It's not meant for mountains racing for sure ! "Pacifique" in French is "Peaceful" in English. Early 2004, or later, the power is the same.

You could manually shift into the 3rd or 2nd gear if you really want faster acceleration.
  • Options
    monark49monark49 Member Posts: 58
    I drive in the Tennessee mountains much of the year and always use the "Autostick". Plenty of acceleration up hill in 2nd. and good down hill in 1st. Thats what its for. Try it.
  • Options
    jesomajesoma Member Posts: 4
    One of the rear passenger lights is burned out and I can't figure out how open it to replace it. The manual says see dealer but there must be a way to do this without having to go to a dealer. Any help would appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    nuruc7nuruc7 Member Posts: 98
    I believe you are speaking of the Door Courtesy Lamps in the rear? I had to change one of mine in the upper rear liner on the driver's side, after disconnecting the negative cable on the battery, all you have to do is slip a slim flat blade screw driver into the side of the lense switch and gently pry it up and that should pop it off one of its hinges. What you will see inside is the bulb located within it receptacle, and replace it with the same rated bulbs from your local Auto store. i got mine from Napa. The replacements have what looks like handles on each side, but they still fit and work. :)
  • Options
    rfrancorfranco Member Posts: 5
    My front bumper cover was loose and hanging down for about 3 weeks while I was procrastinating on taking it in to be looked at. It was clear it had came loose, I'm sure I didn't hit anything and no one hit me. Well I waited too long and it came loose enough to drag one day while I was driving in to work and the front tire sucked it under and shredded it a bit. I took it in since now I couldn't drive it without strapping up the bumper cover with a bungee cord. The dealer advised me this was the type of thing my insurance should cover. I'm looking for any testiments I can take him to show others had the same problem. There are only a couple of screws holding the cover on and I've even seen at least one other Pacifica with the same problem as mine. Anyone else?
  • Options
    ms_mayorms_mayor Member Posts: 113
    Unfortunately, I think your procrastination is going to cost you on this one.

You probably would have had a better chance of showing that it was a problem had you taken it in right away, while it was just loose and hanging. Once the corollary damage had occured, its hard to prove that it had been loose and not caused by something else.

I'm also guessing that $$ wise, its not even worth it to go thru car insurance.
  • Options
    You are correct. It's going to cost me $440.00. Not worth turning in, I think I have a $500 deductable anyway. My plan is to escelate this through Chrystler corporate. If they don't at least split it with me then I'll make sure they pay for this in lost business. I was planning on upgrading to a 300C in the fall but now I won't consider going back. Plus I'll drive around for the next 12 month's with the following phrases written on my windows: "Warranty Worthless", "Lemon", "Stay back, car falling apart", "Don't Buy a Pacificrap". I'll be sure to honk when I pass the dealership!
  • Options
    ms_mayorms_mayor Member Posts: 113
    Just remember, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Certainly no harm in escalating, but I still think that while your claim may have some validity you have to admit that the bulk of the $$ damage is really because you delayed in having it looked at. I don't see where you can lay all the blame for this on Chrysler.

I posted in another thread here about a problem I had with the seat leather. I took it in within 48 hours of noticing cracks in the leather, while they were less than 1/4" long. Had I waited 3 weeks, chances are the cracks would have grown in size and it might have been more difficult for me to prove to the service manager that it was faulty leather and not someone poking something sharp on it to make the cuts.

In my case, the manager agreed the leather was faulty and the seat will be repaired at no cost to me.
  • Options
    Actually you have absolutely no clue if your Pac was hit in a parking lot, when you were not there ...
    Screws don't break without a shock.

Do you try to rip them off ? They are not that stupid, you know ...
  • Options
    No, the damage was caused by the faulty plastic bumper cover. That there is no disputing. It could have been contained or fixed by me taking it in sooner, but my lack of action was not the "cause" of anything. Besides I'm willing to accept responsibility for that, I did offer to split it and I think that's way more than fair on my part. I have 2 jobs and an infant at home, I don't have time to keep going back to the dealership all the time to get things fixed. I was already in there for 2 other problems which they promptly fixed. This is the 3rd.

Yes, I know the vinegar won't help the problem but it will make me feel a little better. I won't go there until I know for sure I've exhausted all channels with the dealership and Chrystler. I really do like the looks of the car and I like some of the other new models Chrstler put out. I just think a company should stand behind their product.

Even if I was totally in the wrong, and I'm not, but if I was.. I would think since I just spent $30,000 with them they would try and make me happy. I'm only asking for $220.00. I'm really more offended they are blaming me for this. They even said if it did come apart on it's own it would be covered, even if I did shred it a bit on the freeway, they just think I'm lying and I was in some sort of accident.
  • Options
    The car get's parked in my Garage and in my reserved parking space, nose facing towards the building where I work. I've got a new born at home so I don't go anywhere on my days off. I have not been to a grocery store, Mall or otherwise with my car since Christmas. There has not been an opportunity for anyone to hit my car. The screws didn't break, they were actually still there, the plastic they screw in to was stripped out. Take a close look if you have a Pacifica, there isn't much holding the plastic fascia under the bumper together. I am not trying to rip them off, I would pay the $ if I thought there was a remote chance this was my fault. It's not. I think it was actually caused, initially, by deep snow. However, if a little snow is going to cause this I'll be paying $440.00 every winter, I live in Ohio.
  • Options
    I e-mailed Chrysler Corporate and the Dealership, seperately. I very nicely explained the situation and asked for help in resolving the matter. I'll post the responses.
  • Options
    I agree that the plastic cover it's flimsy. It's a thin sheet of plastic hold in place with 5 plastic screws. My Accord has 8 plastic screws. Both my Pac and my Accord bumper plastic covers move up and down if you push-pull them. They are just for looks, because a sturdy metal bumper is underneath them. All new cars are built like that. Pacifica's cover look flimsier than most. Probably because is among the newest designed cars. Soon we will drive in paper made cars. Already many of us live in paper made houses.

Now ... if nobody touches them, they will stay in place, like they stay on most cars on the road, Pacifica or not. I have no doubt that somebody hit your bumper cover. It's so flimsy that even a bicycle or a person hitting it would break it. Hitting a snow bank at the parking lot limit would give the cover no chance of survival. Five plastic screws cannot stop 4,500 lbs !

If I would be Chrysler I would "nicely" reject your request. As ms_mayor said, why you didn't show it to them before, to have them acknowledge it was no hit. And by the way, yesterday when I came out from underneath my Pac I hit the bumper cover so hard (with my butt) that I thought I would have to pull $440 myself too. Fortunately it didn't break, but it was no trace on the cover neither. An hit doesn't absolutely mean a mark left on it. For me, this is case closed.
  • Options
    bonlwickbonlwick Member Posts: 1
    I had a clear coat problem with my 2004 Pacifica. First the rear bumper and liftgate area. Now, the front. Both have been repaired without issue, but still frustrating!
  • Options
    thimmakerthimmaker Member Posts: 33
    You can re-program the lift-gate button so that it takes a "Long" push of the button to activate it. check your manuel.
  • Options
    49ersfans49ersfans Member Posts: 3
    I got a 05 AWD Pacifica with leather seats. Some part of the seats are suede (rough) leather. I have browsed some leather conditioners but all indicate that it is only for smooth leather but not for suede leather. I am new for this issue. Could you give me some idea which leather care product could be used on the suede (rough) leather? Thanks a lot! :confuse:
  • Options
    ingeniousguyingeniousguy Member Posts: 21
    I am guessing that you must have the Pacifica Limited correct? Mine also has the suede inserts on the bolster portion of the seats. I have always been a HUGE Lexol fan for leather cleaner and conditioner, however I faced the same problem that you did in terms of trying to figure out how to clean the suede portion of the seat?

Long story short, after visiting several auto parts stores I did not find a solution. I decided to call my dad who then suggested that I visit an upscale shoe store that would carry suede cleaners and conditioner. I ended up going over to Macy's department store and sure enough, they had a large amount of cleaners and conditioners on hand. After talking to the sales rep, I ended up purchasing a cleaner spray (Synova), special suede brush tool and suede cleaner bar (for spot treating). I have the taupe interior in my Pac and bluejean dye has been a big concern on mine as I notice it rubbing off into the suede.

After going through the cleaning steps outlined in the directions, I was surprised to see that the dyes were actually lifting off of the seat trim. The process is very simple, and after the seats were dry, I did not notice any deterioration in color or texture. Depending on where you are located, you may want to visit an upscale department store to see if you can find something.

Good Luck!

IngeniousGuy
  • Options
    49ersfans49ersfans Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot!

You are right. Mine is a 05 limited with Pro Package.

I had been to a shoes store last week and got a suede leather protectant spray. I tried it and found it is amazing because the spray is really invisible. But I found another problems:
    1) Most of the invisible suede leather spray is poisonous and I am worrying about if it will bring any harm to my kids;
    2) I could find some cleaner, renew and protectant spray but can NOT find any conditioner for the suede leather. Whether the suede leather needs conditioner regularly as the smooth leather does? I am still confused.

I will try some major department stores as you suggested and hopefully I could find a better solution.

Thanks again!

49ersFan :)
  • Options
    nuruc7nuruc7 Member Posts: 98
    Gee, everytime I see the Limited owners comment, I wish i had those 19" wheels. I keep thinking about it, but it would require more than just changing wheels, I gotta change Speedo settings, ..etc.
  • Options
    tunnitunni Member Posts: 2
    We have owned our Pacifica for nearly a year and have had the vehicle stall 4 times - always at a slowish speed (<20mph) and always when turning. We've had it back to the dealership each time, had the software re-loaded but still the problem. It sounds as though this is a common problem. I wonder if anyone has returned their vehicles as a lemob because of this issue.
  • Options
    tiffchaptiffchap Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 pacifica and wanted to know how to set the menu to display how many miles left till i run out of gasoline. I read thru the owners manual but its very vague.
    Also - I am the third owner with 34,800 on it. So far the only issue i have had found by the mechanics are tire rods are loose, and a leak in the rear engine mount leaking hydraulic fluid. Made me a little nervous, but under warranty - thank god I got the extended warranty on it. Has anyone had their pacifica in for these issues? :D
  • Options
    almagalmag Member Posts: 1
    Our 2005 Pacifica has 11,000 miles on the odometer. Today my wife was driving it and it stalled while turning at an intersection. The car is now at the dealership. They state that they will replace the secondary fuel pump. I'l keep you posted as to what happens next.
  • Options
    On the display, just push the "step" button repeatedly and the display will scroll through the selections: blank-compass-miles per gallon-miles until empty.

You can reset the computer by pushing the reset button and hold it down for a few seconds, note you must be in PARK to reset.
  • Options
    tunnitunni Member Posts: 2
    Ours is now back in at the shop and they too have a fuel pump on order. I hope this is the fix.
  • Options
    imabikerimabiker Member Posts: 5
    My question is about the "memory mirrors" on my 2005 Pacifica...
    Why Chrysler calls them "memory mirrors" is beyond me as they can not remember
    where you set them... Chrysler says that this is normal and they are not going to
    change them... The mirrors on my 300M and my Chrysler t/c always went back to
    the exact position where you set them, it should be a no brainer for them to work
    on the Pacifica... As far as I know they have no plans to correct this as it's been
    this way since day one on the Pacifica... I read were (sitedrifter) wrote in message
    #375 that Butler Chrysler of NJ was working on the problem but I never found out
    if they got fixed... Can anyone help as Chrysler will not or cannot...
  • Options
    imabikerimabiker Member Posts: 5
    Can any one tell me how to get the rear seat headphones to work... I have the six cd changer, the headphones and remote... I do not have a video screen... I used the procedure in the owners manual and it does not work and the dealer does not know how to make it work... This is on a 2005 Pacifica...
  • Options
    donrileydonriley Member Posts: 1
    The same Pilot tip is available at Walmart for $12.95-don't waste your time elsewhere!
  • Options
    lnicholaslnicholas Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I am newly registered in the forum although I used it in my research on my just purchased Pacifica '05 (U package).

After an experience last week I decided that it was a mistake not to get the Navigation system in my otherwise nicely equipped Pacifica. Can any one advise me on my aftermarket options to getting a navigation system put in? I went to Chrysler's website and there seems to be no info. on how to get this done.

Thanks Much
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    If you have a laptop and a copilot you may find this a inexpensive option. http://delorme.com/earthmatelt20/faq.asp
  • Options
    jesomajesoma Member Posts: 4
    I have the same situation. I've read that with the 05 Pacifica that they which from a rf signal to a ir signal and more importantly they have moved the transmitter from the radio/changer to the video screen. So no screen, no signal, no sound.

Jeff
This discussion has been closed.