Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extended Warranties

98monte_ls98monte_ls Posts: 117
Does anyone know of a **reputable** company that sells extended warranties, besides GM? They sell them at the dealership I believe so long as the car has not hit the end of the mfgrs warranty but I'm sure GM"s price must be higher.

I have a Camaro and plan to keep it beyond the warranty which will end soon (due to miles) so I need to shop for this asap.

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    at the Heritage warranty subject. I've discussed some pros and cons of aftermarket warranties.

I believe, through LOTS of experience, and now dealing with lemon law and breach of warranty lawsuits, that the manufacturer's warranty is the only way to go.

Shop around. Offer $100 over cost and by it cheap.
  • 98monte_ls98monte_ls Posts: 117
    I was hoping to find one cheaper than the delaership - they always stick it to you on price. How do i find the "cost" of a dealership's warranty? The price they quote is "retail" in fact, my dealership had a printed price list "menu" of warranty options.
    "I'm going to buy a warranty today. I'd like to buy a GM contract. If you'll show me YOUR cost (not what's on the "menu"), I'll pay $100 over that."

"I've also looked at some other contracts, and I'm making my decision today".

Be nice about it, but give them a "take it or leave it" approach.

$100 in F&I profit with no affect on his "per deal" average (how the F&I guy is rated by his boss) is a good thing.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,518
    Hey 98monte_ls. Don't forget that you are free to shop around for an official GM extended warranty. You are not required to purchase one from the dealership that you purchased your car from or the one that you plan on having your vehicle serviced at. You should comparison shop by either e-mailing or calling dealerships. You can contact many of them with very minimal effort by using the Web. Here is a link to a pretty interesting article on extended warranties here on Edmunds.com: Extended Warranties: Extending The Joys Of Ownership.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
  • geoffdgtigeoffdgti Posts: 83
    I mostly agree with zueslewis. An OEM extended warranty is the only way to go.

For GM, try these guys in Iowa:
    http://www.capperautocenter.com/

I've bought two Ford extended warranties from their sister Ford dealership and, at least for Ford extended warranties, they have the best prices I've ever seen. It's an 800 number so it can't hurt to at least call and get a quote.

You probably want to decide what plan you'd want first and get a price-gouging quote from the business/finance guy at your local dealership.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/ has some limited information but you really need to see a contract to understand what is covered and what isn't.
    ask to see the F&I guy's cost sheet, and make your offer. Who pays retail anymore?
  • quigonjohnquigonjohn Posts: 77
    geoffdgti, or anyone else, do you know of a good source for a low price on a Chrysler Extended Warranty? I have WG now, (bought the car and warranty in Feb.), but with their financial troubles I may want to go for a Chrysler policy.
    THANKS!
    and make the same deal - offer $100 over their cost after they show you their price list.
  • quigonjohn mentioned that Warranty Gold has financial troubles. Is that right? What kind of troubles?

Thanks,

tiresmokem
  • quigonjohnquigonjohn Posts: 77
    tiresmokem, Checkout the "Warranty Gold Claims" thread for all the info.
    I got a "retail" quote from my dealer. $1650. Now if I go into the F&I guy and tell him I will buy today if he can show me his cost I need to be prepared to do just that. do you have any idea what ballpark the "cost" is off retail? Reason is, if his cost + 100 is still not going to be competitive with a 3rd party warranty then maybe I'll forget about the dealer.

do you think that I should tell them that I got another quote on a warranty and if he can match it i will buy his? I got a couple, one from WG, which are significantly less than $1650.

bruce
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    GOing by the dealer later to see my brother's new Grand Prix. Which warranty/mileage/term/deductible where you thinking of for the Camaro.
    the 5 yr 75k (i think that's the one) and $100 ded.
    Anyone heard of this one - called Extended Auto Warranty Corp. insured by Capital Assurance?

their warranty is nearly as good as the mfgr warranty, but with GM it will only "extend" my coverage to 5 years/75k, which is only 3 more years/30k more miles. Extended Warranty Corp has one that they say begins when the mfgrs warranty expires and goes for a full 5 years/100k miles which is 2 years longer and 25k longer than GM. I plan on keeping the car long, unless I get a really good job which I doubt I will in this job market.

GM's so-called 5 year warranty is mis-represented because you are ONLY buying 2 years - the full car is covered until 36k for FREE no matter how many $1000's you pay for their warranty.

bruce
    you're also just buying what's past the basic warranty.

Private "warranties" aren't "warranties" at all - they're insurance policies. Policies that have no legal liability to repair your car - at all.
  • ffmcobaltffmcobalt Posts: 20
    I believe you are able to purchase a GMPP as long as the original, factory warranty is still in effect. If I recall correctly, that means that you can buy a 7yr/100K-mile warranty up to 36 months after your purchase or up to 35,999 miles driven. You aren't required to buy the GMPP when you first purchase the vehicle. That would make the first three years and 36,000 miles pointless.

I'll go look for confirmation because warranty work isn't my department at work, but I'm pretty sure.
    is a cheaper price (negotiated with the dealer at your best price vs buying from GM on a menu (retail) price) and rental car coverage through the basic warranty.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    It also allows you to finance the contract into your car loan if you don't have the cash or credit card space available. Pre-Daimler, Chrysler Financial would discount financing rates if you also bought a Chrysler service contract up front and added it in with the loan. Saved me 2 full points in 1996, don't know if CFC still does it now.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• MartypaMartypa Posts: 50
    Would you then recommend not buying an extended warranty if if unable to get it OEM?
    you'd be better off taking the money you would spend and put it in savings in case of a breakdown.