Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hummer H3

Comments

• Options
    tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    Pulled my string

Gmid is everywhere, even here. There are other forums. Out of "courtesy" which you invoked, I will respond. Better_half got supplier pricing and two (2) $500 rebates. We lost our shirts on the CRD ( Dr. Z - go back behind the Rhine). All new vehicles have cheap parts and dummed downed "educated" people for employees and engineers. Thank goodness I am old. I believe GM and Rick W. are honorable and we will not be abandoned.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks, Dave! I hope you and the Mrs. and everyone else here have a wonderful holiday.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Early this week from the chevy dealer, bought oil filters for both generals and an oil drain plug for the I5 (H3). I noticed that the new (Colorado?) drain plug had a magnet while the one that came out of the H3 today (and put back in) was a solid plain plug. Different parts for an H3 vs Colorado, one wrong part, new design?
  • Options
    An apology. I am somtimes accused of not meshing the gears in my head and body and not reviewing my work - or using spell check. I have typed guage and gauge, those spelling errors that reflect bad on the individual. I try to over look those like their/there but I know better and hear/here it form/from my older sister - "You're not dumb why do you do that". I learned a long time ago from her to never end "Where is it?" with the word "at". On a side note, I am sick of absolutely, proactive, and other copied words that also reflect a lack of command of the beautiful language we have.

There is a truth conflict in my posts 1081 and 1112 about the price we paid. The first trip report was hastily written in OKC to report the mileage and the rest. Replying to the gmid request, better_half reminded me of the posts and the events.

We did get supplier pricing and the two rebates and 0% financing. The problem comes from my lack of care. If you read an early post we test drove a lot of H3's (from late morning to dinner/supper time). We were closing on a compromise vehicle, and I picked up on a feeling. Looked at the maroney? sticker ($900? for chrome on the mag wheels)and we ripped up the paper work. I walked the lot and found Blue Beauty. Set the tire pressures to the same at each axle. Took a test drive and then we closed again.

Our test drives of our preferred colored H3's produced a lot of production/make ready (none until purchased?) issues. Tire pull/alignment, wind noise, and gas pedal shaking. Blue Beauty had none of these.

For all my past carelessness, I am not going to use a dictionary or spell check this time either.
  • Options
    Would buy the H3 again. Caught up again on old crd posts here and there. F37 "recall" all over the place. I wish all of the crd blind brand loyal owners to finally have the vehicle they thought they bought.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Explorer, Santa Fe, Verzcruz, Jeep GC, and a few others, I just found out the H3 exists...the other Hummers seemed to me to be like tanks, literally, when all I want is a midsized SUV, about the same size as an Explorer (I do think it is the ideal size, but looking for similar comparables)

In terms of space, size, seat comfort (power seats w/adjustable lumbar supports...yes or no???), how does the H3 compare to the 2007 Explorer, if anyone made the comparo when shopping...

I do know that the Expy has a 292 HP V8, which is impressive, but how does the 242 HP 5 cyl of GM perform???...since a 5 cyl is kind of odd, is it a solid, reliable engine, or are we talking the Caddy V8-6-4 problems of yesteryear???...in essence, I question the widom of GM to make a 5 cyl engine, and the ability to make it work...

Also, how does the build quality stand up against competitors???...are we talking solid like a rock or creaky, squeaky, and things falling off???

How does the engine labor on the highway, or stop and go traffic, when the AC is running on a hot day???

Thanks for any thoughts from anyone, as I never thought I would ever consider another GM product again, and, well, here I am...
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I have a 04 Colorado and have no problems with the 5 cyl. engine. The 07 Hummers have a slightly bigger engine and more HP as that was really the only complaint with the H3. Gm stepped up to the plate and made it happen. Rummer has it they will offer a V8 by 08 at the latest. Like most GM engines a lot of the parts are really 350 engine family. The 4.3 V6 is just a 350 minus 2 cyl. The 5 chl is the 4.6 straight 6 minus a cyl. Not only is this a cheaper way of producing new engines but all the testing and the durability has already been proven. The Caddy V8, 6, 4 was an idea that was ahead of its time. Worked on a lot of them but some had problems. This is common practice now as GM has a number of engines that are V8 or 4 as in the SS Impala. I follow the Hummer forum and everyone there just loves their Hummer. Join it and find someone to give you a supplier discount certificate as Hummers go for sticker price and have sense they have been out.
  • Options
    Had three fords. Sat in Explorers, but never drove one. Yes, an I6 engine is a balanced engine. The I5 is one of the many engines that uses balance shafts, like bigger I4's. V8's rock in the cradle as movement and balance is concerned. Never have floored the H3. Our trip to Hill Country had a few times when I wished the engine and rear end were less geared for off-roading (braking going up a hill and then having to get back up to speed-but never floored it). Cruising, once up to speed, is a dream (like any OHC engine)and with stroke bigger than the bore re:oversquare/undersquare). Believe the rear is a 4.56 with a 3:1 first gear in the auto. She can pull off the line but, especially if you are concerned about mileage, you drive easy and let the other guy peel out at the light. "06 came with 4yr/50K mile warranty. And it seems gm links cadillac and hummer together for corporate care.
  • Options
    quick responses...any comparo on cargo space behind the drivers seat???...as in the Expy, I do want a second row that is comforatble for passengers, but also can be folded down for cargo...in the Expy there is a fair amount of space behind the SECOND row of seats, enough for third row seating, which I do not care about...

the nearest Hummer dealer is quite far from here, so I ask these queries in order to save time and decide if it is worth the drive...the Ford dealer, as you might expect, is local...
  • Options
    mibtpmibtp Member Posts: 5
    Hey Everyone,

Just picked up my custom-ordered H3 last Thursday. getting used to it. Question: The radio reception isn't very good. Little statically. Any suggestions on how to get better reception? Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks.
    Patrice
    2007 H3 Luxury Edition
  • Options
    Get your Ford. Something can be said for a local dealership. Just make sure they are good and will be around. Some small towns were loosing their dealerships (and good experienced mechanics)as posted on the flat rate forum a few years back. An H3 without the adventure package is just a suv on goodyear tires. If you have to ask - then the H3 isn't the vehcle for you.
  • Options
    xk2xbladerx1xk2xbladerx1 Member Posts: 7
    dmathews 3 or anyone,

I am set on purchasing a 2007 H3 in the next few weeks. Where can I obtain this "GM supplier discount ceriticate"? It sounds like this would be way better than the current $1750 cash rebate currently being offered. Any help would be much appreciated. And do all dealers accept this? I would be purchasing from a Los Angeles County dealer. Thanks all.
  • Options
    If you want any help from anyone you need to make your email public on this forum and then repost so someone can help. And to anyone else out there who may read this message and want a GMID. MAKE SURE YOUR EMAIL IS NOT PRIVATE OR YOU WON'T GET ANY HELP.
  • Options
    Sorry. I didn't change that setting. My e-mail address is now public. Any help would be much appreciated. Any idea if the GMID would be better than the current 1750 holiday cash rebate offer?
  • Options
    rebates usually have nothing to do with the discount. You should be able to get both.
  • Options
    as of 4p.m. est it still shows private.
  • Options
    dmathews,

My settings are set so my email address is no longer privvate. I e-mailed you at your profile email address. Please get back to me. Thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    now it is showing. I sent you a personal email.
  • Options
    Hi I haven't received anything from you yet. Could you please resend the e-mail? Thanks.
  • Options
    notativonotativo Member Posts: 1
    I am buying an H3 before the end of this year. Here in san diego the auto show is going on and there is an additional $500 discount available until 1/2/07 - but is there also a "GM supplier discount certifcate" GMID available that I could use as well? Is that applied only to upgrades or is that just right off the top?
    Can anyone help me obtain one of these?
    Thanks and Happy Holidays to all
  • Options
    dennislewdennislew Member Posts: 2
    I'm off to the HUMMER dealer this week to purchase a new '07 H3. Does anyone have a spare GMID?
    Also, I'm looking for the 'Supplier Bonus Cash' offer that would be good for $250 bonus cash off a new H3. Posted a similar request in the GMID thread, but no activity there yet.
    Thanks and Happy Holidays!
  • Options
    h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can comment on the built-in Navigation in H3. Is that a good option to go with? Does it use NavTeq and are the maps updated for 2007.
    I am new to vehicle in built nav system and was wondering if you are using the navigation can you also insert a CD to listen to music? I really hope it is possible.

TIA
  • Options
    I have it on my 07 Caddy STS and if it hadn't been a rebate that paid for it I sure wouldn't waste my money. Buy a nice after market unit and be WAY ahead of the game. Everytime I have used mine it routes me a way I don't want to go. I live in Lansing, Mich. and going to SC no matter what I did it wanted to route my down 75 starting in Detroit and through Toledo. Why would I want to deal with bumper to bumper traffic when there are about at least 3 other ways that are faster/shorter/or just plain less traffic. But leaving S.C. it routed me around all of that mess. It has done this on a number of shorter trips too.
    I have a Iway 500 I use in my motorhome/truck and motorcycle that has a built in 20 gig harddrive that plays mp3's, and also I can store pictures from my cammera on to show people. Some of the units out there even show radar weather, traffic problems etc. Besides it also burys some of the commands on my car like for the memory seats and other things plus 90% of the buttons for the radio/CD/bluetooth become inoperable after you reach 6mph. Don't waste your money.
  • Options
    h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    Thanks much for the reply dmathews3. I will stay away from that option.
  • Options
    rborgersrborgers Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had any experience with Continental Warranty Inc. I shopped around and they gave the best price I could find for an H3. They are a member of the BBB and have a “B” rating which seems to be pretty good for an extended warranty company. The policy is underwritten by Great American Insurance Company who has been around for quite a while. The service manger at my Hummer dealership says they will accept this warranty. But I would like to know if anyone has actually used this company and what their experience with them was. I have a 30 day period to obtain a full refund, that’s why I am trying find someone who has had an extended warranty from them.
  • Options
    can't help you on the company but I can say after listening to people discuss warranty companies on a RV forum the consensess is that you want a warranty that lists in black and white the things it will NOT cover instead of one that lists the things it will cover. The list is fairly short with those companies that list things covered and the same applies for the companies that list the things it won't cover. You will be better off buying from a company that lists parts not covered. Another thing to remember is lets say you lose some pistons on the engine which is a covered part. Maybe, maybe not. If the problem was caused by a non covered part than your engine isn't covered for the repairs. This is one reason why I ALWAYS pay the extra and get the GM extended warranty as first every GM dealer excepts it and it covers everything except things like bulbs, wipers brake shoes etc. Things that wear under normal driving. You also said your dealer excepts this company, that is fine if something fails while you are home but what about that trip in a few summers when your regular factory warranty expires for example, maybe the dealer in that out of the way place may not. If it is GM it will.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    touchalyntouchalyn Member Posts: 1
    After searching the internet to get some advice on a Hummer purchase/lease, I finally found this place. Seems like there are some knowledgeable people here that may actually be able to help. I really am starting fromn scratch. Been to a few places, got some estimates on my trade in, and know now what I want...now just a matter of going to get it. That's where I am hoping someone out there can come in with any assistance.
    Here are the facts: Looking at the 2007 H3X with sunroof and navigation. Sticker is at $43,000+. Seems like best deal I can get for my current car is $10,000.
    Now, first question, buy or lease?! I thought I was set on leasing, but I can't say I would mind owning and driving the vehicle longer than 39 months. From there, what are the rebates, incentives, discounts out there that I can take advantage of? Does the $1,750 apply to the 2007? So many question, so little time. If anyone can at elast get me started with those answers, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Hummer H3: Lease Questions discussion too.
  • Options
    "An H3 without the adventure package is just a suv on goodyear tires."

I may have to retract this shot from the hip. Just saw the gmcanada link on another forum and it implies a 5 speed (crawl ratio), luxury package (leather seating), but not the adventure package(goodyear tires?).

MPG updates - 16+ on a sprint to Houston for the holidays, better_half gets 17 commuting.
  • Options
    jaan074jaan074 Member Posts: 4
    Should I use the low octane (87, 89) grade, or higher grades (91 or 92)?
  • Options
    ironman705ironman705 Member Posts: 1
    Currently fabricating H3 Winch Mounts and Custom Bumpers! Anyone interested?
  • Options
    I must bid this topic adieu, as we were sitting at a traffic light today, just to the right of an H3, a very nice bright white...

I asked "she who must be obeyed" what she thought of it, as it was one of the vehicles I was considering...

Her first words were that the windows made it look like a Brinks armored car, and her second words were something that sounded like "no way in hell will you own one of those"... :cry: :sick: :cry:

When I processed her distinct wording thru my cerebral cortex after the sound waves were transmitted thru the little bones in my ear (hammer, anvil & stirrups, if I recall correctly), I believe she has slightly tilted against my purchase of an H3...

I think that means no...

I wear the pants in the family, but, last time I checked, she wears the panties...

Thanks for all your help...

My SUV quest has been whittled down by one...:):):)
  • Options
    h3shopperh3shopper Member Posts: 11
    That's unfortunate indeed.

We traded my wife's minivan for a bright white H3 back in July. Cashmere interior with black-piping and chrome package with wheels, mirrors, gas cap and then added the chrome roof rack, taillight chrome, chrome brush guard and chrome hummer letters in grill plus headrest DVD screens.

My wife drives the Hummer daily. Aside from the gas mileage being a little worse than the minivan, the excuses your wife tossed out are sort of "bs". From the outside, yes, it may have an armored car look however.. once you're inside the H3, she will INSTANTLY get the appeal. Everyone who's been in the H3 says the same thing "wow what great visability".

I remember taking my wife to the Hummer dealer and as we pulled in she says "IM NOT DRIVING ONE OF THOSE THINGS..". 10 minutes into the test drive she said " I KINDA LIKE THIS -- YOU WERE RIGHT !"

The ONLY thing that kind sucks with the H3 is that you can only seat 5.

The interior (leather) is nicer than a Range-Rover and the H3 will drive OVER ANYTHING, including Nissan's, Jeeps, Curbs, Snow, RoadKill and Traffic. All kidding aside, your wife needs to drive an H3 before she puts it down.

Now, be a man and drag her by the hair to the Hummer dealer.
    :-)
  • Options
    I went through that too. So I bought a Caddy STS and she loved it until I told her that I could have bought a H3 that I wanted for about 20K less. Her comment was, gee I guess that H3 wasn't so bad after all. :shades: Another funny thing, the vehicle she drives is my 04 Chevy Colorado 4 X 4 Crewcab which is the same as the H3 except for the body. Women, you can't live with them but you can't live without them.
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't catch replying to me. We use recommended 87 in our '06. Mpg depends on vehicle, fuel quality, and driving habits. I believe higher compression requires higher octane and with knock sensors changing timing, you might lose mpg if too high of an octane is used so I've been told. It depends if the tank farm is giving you the additive package for that branded dealer and how much ethanol you are getting(supposedly stratifies and doesn't form a mix). Knew of use of premium when regular called for in a luxury car's first models and premium caused problems-carbon?

Back to a local brand name station that seems to provide better mileage but also believe in Red Line products(have used their fuel additive for years and loved the 15w40 diesel oil that seemed to have no added visc. mods and their diesel fuel catalyst).
  • Options
    niceguy753niceguy753 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I was hoping someone can direct me to anyone willing to issue me a GMID Certificate. I have to purchase a new vehicle... mine broke down. I was trying to hold off till I was ready, but things don't always work as planned. Thanks,

George
  • Options
    Thanks for some entertaiment. I just checked your past messages because of "she who must be obeyed". Thought you might have been a contractor that I used that exact wording on a few weeks ago-in jest about better_half coming to check up on her remodeling.

My brother also says, dang they just improved it and I bought too soon. But he only buys a new general every 12-13 years whether he needs one or not.
  • Options
    "she who must be obeyed" long before I ever heard of edmunds, and I think I started here in 1999 or thereabouts..

Following the advice of a previous poster, I decided to "be a man" and confront her about the H3...

We argued, tusseled, wrestled, for days...no sleep for 3 days, no food for 5 days, did not speak to each other about anything else for over a week, missed many days of work, and finally, she learned who was the boss, who ran the show, whose word meant something, and I won!!!

We agreed that I could lurk, read, and post on the edmunds H3 topic for as long as I want to...I showed her who was the boss!!!...:):):):):)
  • Options
    I think that other lawyer, Rumpole of the Bailey, started the "she who must be obeyed" thing. But knowing lawyers, John Mortimer probably stole it from someone else. :shades: (link)
  • Options
    Thanks Steve for letting us enjoy nice pleasant memories of watching that PBS series. Maybe that is where my failing brain cell grabbed it.
  • Options
    yingxiongyingxiong Member Posts: 12
    I know the 2006 H3 did not have the child safety locks on the rear doors. GM was rumored to have corrected this oversight for the 2007 model for vehicles produced after January 2007. I just test drove an H3 last week and did not find the switch on the back doors! I don't know when that particular vehicle was made in relation to the rumor.

Does anyone know if these locks have been added for sure? This could be a deal-breaker for me.
  • Options
    Internet searching turned this up today, any truth to it?

Hummer H3s Now Standard with Child Safety Locks

In addition to the interior door panel upgrade, Hummer has also included rear door child safety locks in every H3 produced after February 1st. Great news for parents looking for the Hummer H3 to be a family vehicle, and may have been looked at other vehicles instead of the H3 because of child safety locks. Aren’t these pretty much standard on all SUVs? I guess for Hummer it’s better late than never! The two changes are part of Hummer’s mid-year enhancement for the H3.
  • Options
    Curious, saw your lease posts. A little upside down on our crd when washed it through blue beauty. Been told by others and insiders about parts eating dcx products recently. Never leased but with all this plastic and electronics maybe should've considered that. Maybe my old statement about the cheapest vehicle and put it out on the curb for trash pick day when it falters may....

Don't know about leasing but got as far as "38 months remaining" and that inspired this. Are you past your basic warranty? Wouldn't a good dcx extended warranty(bear with me - some are not worth the paper they're written on due to 'can't duplicate') be a better idea?

Thanks for the updates, but there are sites where builders and mechanics of h3's, and a photographer post and the rumors persist about h3's. Is the volvo out? Why h3? Is the residual still being kept high?

6k miles plus, one oil change, clipped off top of the antenna to clear garage. Better_half just drives it.
  • Options
    I am past my basic warranty - and I've had extended warranties in the past that didn't cover jack, so I didn't get it with the Chrysler. The residuals are higher than every other SUV I've priced so far. Plus, I flat out love the vehicle. The Volvo is my better half's......that was my Xmas present to her.

The child safety locks and window controls were both confirmed last night by my dealership. All H3's after Feb 1 will have these modifications. They'll hit the lots in about 8 weeks, but I can order one and have it a little sooner.
  • Options
    Thanks and I apologize for not reading everything before posting. "I flat out love the vehicle" - I am starting to feel that way now after another road trip yesterday and close to 7k miles now(even with the 3.5). Better_half has a nice daily driver. I guess you don't care about the "new engine?" and are satisfied with the 3.7 motor.
  • Options
    hummernvettehummernvette Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone having problems with their #5 cylinder problems with their 06 Hummer? I have had my Hummer H3 in the shop 4 times during my 8 months of ownership with this problem. The dealer has replaced fuel injector and spark plug but nothing has changed. It started when the engine light came on and the rpms would fluctuate between 2500 and 3100 rpm at 75 mph while engine was warming up. Even when the light would go off and I let the dealer know, they said they couldn't figure out what is going on. On top of this, I have been averaging about 12 miles a gallon after this problem occurred. If anyone has any information that would help, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
  • Options
    tracyhummertracyhummer Member Posts: 1
    Have the dealer check the cylinder head. I just had the check engine light go on and took it to a hummer dealer. Onstar said i had a misfire in #5. They have had my car for two weeks there is a problem with alot of h3's. the parts are on backorder. they are basically putting a new header on, they are really cool about the whole process and gave me a brand new suburban to use. hope this helps.
    brian
  • Options
    hummernvettehummernvette Member Posts: 2
    Brian, Thank you for your comments. I have had my H3 in the shop for a total of 3 weeks and they can't figure it out. I spoke with a service tech about the head issue and he said it couldn't be it. I have reason to think he may not think this is major of an issue as I think it is. I am going to be taking my truck to another dealer and am going to have them check this out. If this has been a problem, why no recall on this or consumer warning? I have read several messages on here about people having similar issues. Looks like I have a good lead on this one now. Hopefully I can get the help you have gotten. Thanks!
  • Options
    jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Check out the discussion under Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, "Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems". These vehicles have the same engine as the H3. Good luck.
  • Options
    Great suggestion.

Here's the full blown link:

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems