Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    :P

What is this state income tax thingy I hear about?

-Washington Neighbor

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Only 9% :-() minus the kicker refund. (The Oregon Constitution requires that, when there is at least a 2 percent difference between the final revenue forecast for the biennium and the actual end of the biennium revenue, the surplus be returned to individual income taxpayers.)

Then there's that darn property tax thingy too.

Sure see a lot of Washington plates at the I-205 Costco in Portland though.
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Despite the fact that there's a Costco across the river in Vancouver, WA.

My next Mac will likely come from Oregon. :D
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Right next door, Deleware has no state tax. Great outlet shopping, too.
  • Options
    tauntaun Member Posts: 8
    I've been wanting a Sports XT, especially the '08 with the STi wheels, front chin spoiler, and rear spoiler, but the incentives aren't as good as the '07s. Should I bite on the following? New 2007 Forester Sports 2.5 XT 5spd Manual Urban Grey with Spoiler and Cargo Tray. MSRP $27,048. Quoted price before taxes and fees: $22,548. That price includes the $2000 incentive. According to my research, that's $2736 below invoice!
  • Options
    dcdamedcdame Member Posts: 24
    It's not the exact same model (different transmission), but FWIW, Jones Junction Subaru (in Bel Air, MD) has an 2007 Urban Grey Sports 2.5XT with AT - MSRP $29,457 ($27,569 invoice) offered on its website at $23,969, i.e., $3600 below invoice ($5506 below MSRP), so you might be able to get the price down on the one you're looking at even more. OTOH, the demand for an XT with an AT might be less, so the dealer is trying harder to move it.

http://www.jonesjunctionsubaru.com/newcars.aspx?InventoryId=19207061

I saw it in their showroom on Saturday -- looks sharp!
  • Options
    Yeah, that's a pretty good deal on the '07. They've probably got a few hundred more they COULD drop.

The downsides of that deal are that when the '09 comes out in 2 months it'll be a 2-year-old Forester in an old bodystyle, and it's either been sitting a long time on the lot, or has been test driven a lot, neither of which is ideal. In that same 2-month timeframe, you'll probably be able to get pretty darn close to that same price on an '08 with the stuff you like.

If you're patient, wait a couple months for a sweet deal on the '08 you REALLY want. If you've gotta have it now, see if the dealer will drop another $500 on the '07, and let 'em know that YOU know it's gonna be a 2-year-old model very soon.

My recommendation would be for patience, but either way, you'll be paying a very good price for a very good vehicle. :shades:
  • Options
    Also FYI (I don't know where you live, so this may be irrelevant), I found a used 2007 Urban Grey Sports 2.5XT 5sd with 8,622 miles listed for $19,995 by a Lancaster County, PA dealer:

http://tinyurl.com/2o29wu
  • Options
    My bad - the used Forester I linked in my post above isn't an XT - I should have picked up on that right away.

Meanwhile, I haven't figured out how to edit (or whether one can), so that's why I'm adding this. Ah, now I see that one can edit only within 30 minutes of posting. So I was too late . . .
  • Options
    longhorn5longhorn5 Member Posts: 6
    I am in Austin, Texas. I have always been interested in getting a Forester. TMV on Edmund's is: $21,060. I haven't talked to the dealer yet but this is the deal they are advertising. I like manual shift. What do you all think about it? $18,660 includes destination charges but not taxes or documentation. Here is a link to the dealer. Forester deal is at the end of the page.

http://www.gillmansubaruofaustin.com/specials/new.htm
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, i think i'm going to end up waiting. I saw them side by side and I like the looks of the '08 Sports XT much better. With the '09 being introduced in Detroit, and an outgoing body style (i like the current better), I figure they'll be offering better deals too. The manuals are harder to come by, which is why I was initially interested.
  • Options
    Longhorn - That $18,660 price is $500 below invoice before the $1500 rebate is applied, which is pretty good. You may be able to eke out a few hundred bucks more from the dealer, but it's already a nice deal.

Under $19k for a top-notch AWD utility vehicle with good power and handling and great reliability is pretty amazing, when you stop & think about it!
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I've seen the automatic advertised here in San Antonio for $18,999 if that's of any help to you.
  • Options
    johnvjohnv Member Posts: 40
    2008 Forester Premium MT5 / CA package
    $22607 invoice

With a week or so of back and forth email between dealers I went from invoice, to -600$, and finally to -1k$ for:

$21600 base price
    - $500 rebate
    - $500 trade in
    $20600 + tax&reg&etc.
    (beating TMV by $1300)

The only garbage fee in there was the "document fee" but at sub $30 I didn't bother.
    Trade-in on my 1990 Integra was only $500 -- but I know its issues and that was the magic number I'd come up with (basically what I'd get from CA to take it off the road and slightly more than I'd net with a donation.)

I doubt this price would ever happen on an automatic. What I knew once I drove a few MTs is that the odometers were basically 0. When it came to price matching, my closer dealer matched -600$ without a squeak -- which told me there was some more wiggle room. I'll be a little sad if Subaru ups the rebate to $1k on 2/1 -- but not that sad.

This was from Capitol Subaru in San Jose, CA. They pitched a good price initially, and were straightforward in their email. (Other dealers I emailed with said things like "what can I do to make you a buyer now" (while not beating my offer) -- uh what is this the 1950s?)

The other thing I learned in the shopping is that they REALLY want to sell the 2007s. I might have gone that route, but didn't like the color.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Nice job, johnv!

And, I always thought the guys from corporate were all lay-downs.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Congrats, great price!
  • Options
    djsmoothdjsmooth Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

my local dealer is offering the 1500 cash back and a 1500 discount on the base model only. With the lowest MSRP on their lot being 22640, that brings it to 19640, which is at least 1000 under invoice. I'm just starting to look at Foresters and wasn't planning on buying new, but this seems like a great deal. How much lower might they be willing to go? There's close to 20 X's on the lot. I'm excited to think I might actually be able to get an 08 instead of an 05-06, as I had planned.
  • Options
    You should be able to get at least $2500 below invoice.
  • Options
    Annapolis Subaru has MSRP $22,640 models listed on its website for $19,160:

http://tinyurl.com/27h9zm

Call the NASIOC rep there & you might be able to get another $250 knocked off. Or check with the NASIOC rep in your area (check the vendor classifieds):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
  • Options
    erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    $4500 off MSRP is the going discount for 08 Foresters around here.

http://adserver1.harvestadsdepot.com/portorgonian/ss/carrsubaru/
  • Options
    kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Got an e-mail...

0.0% Financing plus $2,000 Cash Back on Subaru Forester 2.5X models (8FA, 8FB)†
  • Options
    Yep, it's a buyer's market for 2008 models, if that's what you want.

I want an 09. No rebate, of course, but they did lower prices by $700-1200 on certain models, offsetting a big part of that rebate.
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    the question is how reasonable...or unreasonable...Subie dealers will be. If they take inventory and then try and sell these cars for MSRP, well...I have a feeling they won't be moving too much metal.

I wonder if Subaru will put a 'guaranteed trade in value' program on Foresters. My parents are thinking of replacing their 2004 2.5x either with a 08 x Premium or an 09, which they of course haven't seen yet.
  • Options
    I hear they are not going to do that trade-in program, at leats not at first. SoA doesn't think the Forester will need help during the launch.

I'm bummed, too, we have an 02 Legacy for trade.
  • Options
    Just wanted to share my experience as it may help others. I had been looking for a 2007 Forester XT. I love the 2008’s, but the 2007’s have the heated seats which were ridiculously omitted from all the Sports models for 2008. Anyhow, I found two still available in my area (Sacramento, CA) at separate dealerships. A WRB (Blue) and a Black one. MSRP for the Blue was $27,695 and $27,878 for the Black. Options were fairly similar with an auto-dimming mirror with compass, cargo tray, auto transmission.

Anyhow, I got email offers from both and pitted their offers against each other. I was really annoyed at how staunch they were about going down any further from their quoted prices. Given the state of current car sales, interest rates, the economy in general, I thought they’d be more willing to deal. The dealership with the Blue Forester quoted me $4500 off. The dealer with the Black one quoted $4780 off the MSRP.

After some further talks, I agreed to go with the dealer who had the Black car (though not my first color choice). This was after convincing them to throw in a rear spoiler, free oil changes, and lift tickets.

Summation of my deal:

2007 Black Obsidian Pearl Forester Sports 2.5XT
    $27,695 MSRP
    -$4,780 Discount

Added to deal at no cost to me: Paint matched rear spoiler ($319), free oil changes/tire rotations for life, and 2 season passes for a local ski resort.

Total was $23,098.00 (Before tax/title/etc) a little over $25k+ out the door.

Financed at 5% through Chase Bank/JP Morgan (Subaru uses them for financing).

How'd I do?
  • Options
    That price is incredible. I remember when these were $27k vehicles. Wow.
  • Options
    $2815 below 2007 invoice. Of course, it is 2 model years old now that the 09's are here, so that below invoice figure is a little misleading. But if it had the features you wanted, then hey, not bad. :shades:

• Options
    Yeah, I realize it's now considered 2 years old with the 2009's coming out this month, but I do prefer the styling of the 2007 & 2008's, especially the Sport XT's. For some reason, they look more aggressive to me. My heart was actually set on a 2008 Sports XT because I liked the wheels, spoiler, and painted headlights that came standard. The only thing I didn't like was the fact they deleted the heated seats. I snowboard every season and like having a warm bum afterward :blush:
    As luck would have it, the dealers in my area had some left over 2007's. So although it may be considered 2 model years old, it's still new to me. I now have 100 miles on the odometer. :shades:
  • Options
    Pat installed a set for under $200. He just shared in the Subaru Crew - Meet the Members thread.
  • Options
    damon72damon72 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, been reading for a while but finally joined up as we are close to purchasing a Forester. I just got an offer on a 2.5X Forester with an MSRP of $22840. The sales manager has offered it for $21, 048.00 before tax/title and before $2000 rebate. So really:

$19,048 plus tax/title. Does that sound fair? I see that they are cheaper at Fitz, but then again it is 3000 miles from me!

Oh, and it's an AT. Thanks!
  • Options
    Looks like $339 below invoice less the $2k rebate. Not bad, although invoice less rebate has been pretty common every spring since '06 (even lower here in the PNW). While I'd love to think that they should be a bit lower since the '09 is hitting dealers now, it may not be reality for most of the country. If its the color and trim you want, and its local, then hey, go enjoy your new car...

• Options
    Yea she is saying it is $550 below, which is strange and not right by my calculation either. I am in California, so maybe that is why.

Seems like a good deal but was hoping to get it below $19000 incl rebate. I wonder if she will budge a little...
  • Options
    Ah, i didn't know where you were from. Its true that Cal-spec invoice is higher at $21978, so she may be right, though I would think that California is a slower Subaru market. FWIW, I am getting pricing and rebate details from the Joe Spitz site, which is usually quite accurate. Check it out.

• Options
    Cool, thanks. Appreciate your advice, it looks like a good deal as-is, but I will see what I can do by asking other dealers if they could beat it. Thanks!
  • Options
    Go ahead and make the offer. They'd be crazy to lose the sale over $48.
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Go ahead and make the offer. They'd be crazy to lose the sale over $48.

Conversely, you'd be crazy to pass up a great deal like that over a lousy $48 ;)

-Frank
  • Options
    Just like a car dealer, when I got down there my car had been "transfered" to another dealer. They knew I was coming, and just a few hours earlier the car was still there. It took us almost 2 hours to get there. So what did they have instead? Two Foresters with some $600 worth of options I did not want in the first place. After being told they would meet the old price on one of these, sure enough they added the options on to the price. I got up and walked out. After some arguing, I offered to pay them half of the options price to take the car. Never again will I step foot in that dealer, but the deal was still good:

$21,300 out the door, including tax, title, destination, etc - I financed $19000 @ 5.69%.

MSRP for the car was $23,500

Thanks for your advice guys!
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Sounds like the other dealer gave them a better offer (usually a trade for a more in-demand model). Stinks that they didn't let you know ahead of time although it does sound like you made out pretty well in the end :)

Feel free to post over in the Subaru Forester topic and let us know how you like your new ride or if you have any questions.

-Frank
  • Options
    Did you leave a deposit?

I wonder why they didn't think you would come. Or perhaps someone else offered more money, like Frank suggested.
  • Options
    danbeaudanbeau Member Posts: 11
    Topaz Gold...I'm on my way with cash in hand :-)
  • Options
    yixia75yixia75 Member Posts: 3
    MSRP: 28834
    Invoice: 26853 (including the destination fee)
    Rebate: 1000 +0% APR

Tax: 9.2% in Washington state

We got the 24888(total vehicle price) + tax + 50 (doc)+200(licence)= 27520

Not sure if it is a good deal or not.
  • Options
    Wow, great price!

I'm tempted but we really want an 09, even if we have to pay more.
  • Options
    milliesmamamilliesmama Member Posts: 3
    Hi! My husband and I are thinking about buying a 2007 Subaru Forester X. It has 12,758 miles on it and the dealership is located in davenport iowa. The price listed is 18,811. I am going to see the dealer today without my husband and I'm wondering if 17,000 would be too low of an offer. What do you all think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • Options
    I think that's more than fair.

The asking price is too close to what people pay for a brand new one.

Don't offer a penny more.
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Check out post # 1747 above...$18287 plus tax for a new 2008 Forester X. You should be able to do much better on the used '07.

Good luck!

Len
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    $17k is nuts. Seriously...You can buy a new one for about a $1000 more. Don't even THINK about it. Sometimes new is the way to go.
  • Options
    kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    OWWW!

My girlfriend paid 19K even for hers NEW 18 months ago...

Tell them nice try.
  • Options
    bclementsbclements Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I am a California resident. I am looking to purchase a 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited w/VDC in Obsidian Black.

I am partial to the navigation. If it has it great, if not, no biggie.

I've been emailing a few dealers. Its amazing, they quote the edmunds TMV pricing to a T. Below are the offers I have on the table. I'd like to get this forum's advice on whether these wouuld be a good deal.

Also, I realize there is a stop sale order on the 2.5T. The dealer has confirmed the VINs of the models are not impacted.

Option #1
    ==============
    2009 Subaru Forester Limited 2.5XT Obsidian black w/VDC
    Options:
    AUTO DIM MIRROR/COMPASS W/HOMELINK
    BUMPER UNDERGUARD FRONT
    REAR BUMPER COVER
    LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT COVER
    SPLASH GUARD KIT

MSRP: $29,759.00
    INVOICE: $27,635.00
    DEALER OFFER: $26,985.00 plus tax and license
    MY COUNTER-OFFER (PENDING): $25,500.00

Option #2
    ==============
    2009 Subaru Forester Limited 2.5XT Obsidian black w/VDC & Navigation
    Options:
    AUTO DIM MIRROR/COMPASS W/HOMELINK
    REAR BUMPER COVER
    SPLASH GUARD KIT

MSRP $31,135.00
    INVOICE $29,009.00
    DEALER OFFER: $28,795.00 plus tax & license
    MY COUNTER-OFFER (PENDING): $27,500.00

Both Dealers initially set out offers below invoice right off the bat. I set my counter-offers reasonably (IMO). Appreciate any feedback/advice.

Thanks!

-Bill
  • Options
    reydelroblereydelroble Member Posts: 12
    I received this offer today....

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X LL Bean
    Port installed options:
    Splash guards, auto-dimming mirror/compass with Home Link, all weather mats, rear bumper cover and cargo cover.

Manufactuer Suggested Retail Price: $ 27,570.00

Factory Invoice Price: $ 25,688.00
    Your On-Line Price: 25,360.00