Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Supercharging a 2004 Mustang?

nickg1811nickg1811 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in Ford
I have just purchased a 2004 mustang and I love it so far. I was able to pick it up for $6k with 90k miles. I want to keep this car for many years and customize it and supercharger it but I'm new to the "car-world" and have no idea how to supercharge a car and how much it would cost and what it would particularly mean to supercharge a car. So what would be the best way to go about supercharging my mustang and what price would I be looking at? Thanks a ton and all help/comments will be very appreciated!

Answers

• Options
    rhinestonefuserhinestonefuse Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2015
    Five thousand dollars. The radiator, water pump, ignition components will all need to be replaced, too. Superchargng adds heat when under boost and you can't bolt a $3800 supercharger onto a 90,000 mile motor without making sure the mill is in top operating condition.

You'd be much better off (greater reward on you nvestment) adding a cold air intake, Xenon headlights, new tires and a $2000 stereo.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Putting a blower on an old engine is risky, and not cheap. I agree, you would be better off with a CAI + tuner kit + some other mods. SEE HERE for suggestions (I'm not endorsing these products, just giving you an idea of what's out there).

You won't get the power that a supercharger can deliver but you also won't run the risks of damaging your 90K mile engine. A supercharger or turbo will exploit any weakness the engine might have internally.