Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• This is my first post as well. I have ordered a Prius (driftwood, pkg 3 ) and have been told to expect delivery in approx. 4 to 6 mos. Being in no hurry this is OK. I ordered same based on your many "constructive" questions and answers and have never driven in one. The fact that Motor Trend has chosen it as COY makes me feel more comfortable with my choice. Occasionally my wife and I take reasonably lengthy trips and she enjoys putting the back of the front seat into a reclining position sin order to nap. I haven't seen anything in these postings re: the comfort of the passenger seat. Can I assume that it reclines fully?? I will probably think of other questions as time passes, but most have already been answered.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    oldfox - Thanks for the info. If I don't like the Tideland Pearl when I see it, there's always the blue or silver. But I've seen photos of the blue and it looks fairly dark too, but a good match for the ivory interior IMO. Since my car isn't due in for a few months yet, I'll probably be able to see a Tideland Pearl car before then--maybe the dealer will let me switch the color preference yet again.

I agree with john1701a on the "futuristic" aspect of Millenium Silver--how many red starships do you see? 8-)

sharke - I got to spend some time in the front passenger seat while my wife was at the wheel, and IMO the passenger seat felt even more comfortable than the driver's seat. The thigh support was good and the lumbar support was great. I didn't recline it (my kids were behind me).
  • Thanks for your comments on red vs silver. Because I'm a pig (rarely wash my car), I better stay with the silver.

And John, in addition to your authoritative advice, a sense of humor: "In California, with the Prius's long cruising range, worry more about your bladder than the car's." Brilliant!

Re tires, tirerack.com has (to continue the genital allusions) orgasms over the Michelin Harmony and X-1. And its treadwear is longer than the Potenza. Any reason not to prefer to Michelin or Aquatred (which isn't just for rain.)?
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > Can I assume that it reclines fully??

HA! That's an understatement!!

It reclines so far back that you can actually get it COMPLETELY FLAT.

That allows the back seat to fold down on top of it, which provides over storage room of 8 FEET.

So yes, it reclines "fully".

JOHN
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    The earths temperature below the 'frost line' is generally 54 - 57 degrees. Frost lines are 2 - 4 feet in most of U.S. Tanks are usually far below that.

I would think that most of the gas pumped in the U.S. is the same temperature most of the time when it comes from the tank to the pump and then begins expanding or contracting depending on surface temeperatures.

How does that affect the thinking about bladders etc.
  • Thanks for your comments on red vs silver. Because I'm a pig (rarely wash my car), I better stay with the silver.

And John, in addition to your authoritative advice, a sense of humor: "In California, with the Prius's long cruising range, worry more about your bladder than the car's." Brilliant!

Re tires, tirerack.com has (to continue the genital allusions) orgasms over the Michelin Harmony and X-1. And its treadwear is longer than the Potenza. Any reason not to prefer to Michelin or Aquatred (which isn't just for rain.)?
    > How does that affect the thinking about bladders

Capacity measurements have been performed in the past without documenting the temperature. So I just wanted to point out that pump source is important, like using room temperature gas inside a service garage. After all, that is what makes direct contact with the bladder.

JOHN
  • Regarding post 1624 --If you want to know what your Prius will look like do this;
    Go to the Toyota site, Find PRIUS, Click on pictures and then colors. You will see a picture of the Prius with all the colors that are available in small boxes below it. Click on a color and the car picture will change to that color. A cute way to do it. Remember that the accuracy of the color depends to a great extent on the quality of your computer.
    Can anyone tell me what the "vehicle stability system" does and how it works?
    I am supposed to get my car at the end of this month. Very exciting. I need a new toy.
    > tell me what the "vehicle stability system"
    > does and how it works?

VSC is similar to ABS in concept, except it activates while driving rather than while braking.

If you take a slippery corner too hard, it will automatically detect that and counter the slipping by applying the brakes for you (even though you are touching the brake pedal) and only the side that needs it.

It's a assistance response, just enough to help prevent you from slipping into a dangerous skid.

So far this winter, I have actually only triggered it once. It was on a hard right turn up hill with heavy traffic behind me, a corner that is difficult even when the road is completely clean & dry. A light came on and there was a beep. I couldn't even feel what the computer had done for me.

It works so well I actually worry a little bit about people abusing it by intentionally taking risks they normally wouldn't.

JOHN
  • boxfanboxfan Posts: 180
    "The Red is quite popular, a great choice but rather common... "

You mean on the Prius, or in general? I actually think silver is a lot more common than red. It's understandable, since it hides dirt, but to me silver is the color that blends in with the crowd. Do you have any data on the most common colors of the Prius?
    > You mean on the Prius, or in general?

In general. I see a lot of Camry that color.

> Do you have any data on the most common colors of the Prius?

Nope. But like you, I believe silver is the popular choice for Prius... currently. And that's probably just due to all the promos using that color. Once consumers see the others, the mix will likely become more balanced.

JOHN
    An article in the current Motor Trend (a "Perspective" by Dan Carney) talks about skid control systems and studies that have shown how effective they are. A few quotes: "Mercedes-Benz's research cites a 29-percent reduction in single-car accidents and a 15-percent reduction in overall crashes, thanks to stability control. Deadly high-speed wrecks were slashed 55 percent." "DEKRA Automotive Research, in Germany, found a 27-percent drop in serious loss-of-control crashes. Toyota reports a 35-percent drop in single-car crashes and a 30-percent reduction of head-on crashes in Japan."

I don't know about the other studies, but I've read that Toyota's study was comparing accident rates of the same vehicle with and without VSC. From what I've heard, ABS hasn't proven so useful in the real world--the speculation is that people become overconfident when they have it. VSC and side-curtain or other head-protecting airbags both seem to have a real benefit, and it's great that you can get them on the Prius without having to pay for every possible option. It's hard to find VSC on any car in the Prius' price range. VW offers it as an option on all their models. It used to be an option on the Focus, but that's been eliminated because people weren't buying it. In Europe, 50% of vehicles have VSC, vs 6% in the US. Europe also has much lower highway death rates than the US. Here, people just by an SUV because they "feel" safer, instead of actually learning anything about highway safety. Okay, now I'm ranting, so I should stop. But I think VSC should catch on, and it's definitely something I'm looking for in my next car.
    John,

"In general. I see a lot of Camry that color."

Now that you mention it, Toyota has sold a lot of darkish-red cars. My 1990 Camry is dark red, and my parents have a new Sienna and an old Previa in similar colors. I haven't seen the Salsa Red Prius yet, I had the impression it was a little brighter than the red on my car, which is kind of dull. Your picture of your silver Prius on your home page is great, by the way--it catches the colors of the sunset.

Does Seaside Pearl look brighter in real life than on the Toyota website?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I just noticed that there are two new Priuses, a Package 3 and a Package 8, being sold by someone in Inver Grove Heights, MN on eBay. I assume this is Denny Hecker's Toyota because the same seller is offering a couple of used Priuses. If it is Denny Hecker's, this is kind of interesting because I stopped in there a week ago to see what kind of deal I could get (owning another car purchased from Denny Hecker's and having received an offer for $500 off from another dealer) and the sales manager told me that they used to give $500 off but don't anymore because of their long waiting list. Apparently their waiting list isn't so long that they can have two Priuses available to sell on eBay, with the current bid on the Package 3 car (Millenium Silver) at $19,600, almost $2000 under MSRP (but the auction still has a few days to run).

If yours is less than or near to this, you may have defective transaxle.
    > Does Seaside Pearl look brighter in real life than on
    > the Toyota website?

It's actually darker, a deeper blue.

The online color samples aren't all that accurate when viewed on the typical monitor.

JOHN
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I do like the Salsa Red Prius and the Salsa Red Sienna. The Red on the Camry looks like it's trying to be a sports car, which the Camry is not. So I prefer Stratosphere on the Camry.
  • I initially ordered the Tideland Pearl. I was visiting in Seatle and went to one of their Toyota dealerships and there were 11 Prius's on the lot! They were all sold. I saw every color except black. The Tideland was a dark almost blue/grey with almost no green. There was no metalic sheen to it. I was very disappointed. Not only was it not attractive, it was a dark color and would show dirt very easily. I changed my order to the less exotic silver. I like the darker interior as it will age more gracefully (I think)

Now how did Toyota of Seattle get 11 cars in one shipment? (they were all sold of course)
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Toyota of Seattle had 11 Priuses on order by their customers and they submitted it to Toyota and guess what? POOF! They got the Priuses.
  • oldfoxoldfox Posts: 29
    My Prius, which I hope to pick up before Christmas is Salsa Red Pearl. I Have seen this color and it is a bit like Candy Apple Red but just a hint more maroon in it. Very nice color for the small Prius. I See very few red and many, many Silver on Prius and most other cars - Silver seems to be the most common color. The blue is very nice, not too dark. To each his/her own. Gee maybe thats why cars come in different colors.