Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    newski3newski3 Member Posts: 42
    First of all, using your stated extra's and assuming the Chicago Distribution Area, I was unable to come up with your msrp; Edmonds and ConsumerReport both show the msrp as 26,825 (again, assuming 2wd & no extra for paint).

The TDA has been explained to me to be a Toyota District advertising charge. I asked a dealer who contributes to Edmunds.com forum if the dealer has to pay Toyota the invoice price PLUS the TDA. His answer was YES.

Dealer Holdback: This is an amount that Toyota gives back to the dealer for selling its car. Again, as I understand it Toyota takes this out of its "Invoice" profits and returns it to the dealer. In other words you have already paid this item when you pay the dealer invoice. I personally would NEVER pay this as a line item.

Whol. Financial Reserve: I was told by the same dealer mentioned above that this is mainly a Toyota to District item to cover the cost of money for a specified amount of time from manufacturing to delivery to customer. According to my source, the dealer does not see nor benefit from this item. It is between Toyota and the District distribution organization. I would never pay this as a line item.

You should also be aware that almost all dealers try to add an Administration Fee (they call it various things) at closing. Those I've seen lately are around $200.

All this being said, my approach is to figure out what I'm willing to pay for a car and submit that number to the dealer and tell him that he can distribute the numbers any way he wants but that is the amount i will make the check out for (plus tax and tag fees of course). I just got these numbers off of the Consumer Report web page:

MSRP: $26,825 (This is off about $214 from your qoute so take a look at edmunds.com and price your car using your zip code.)

Invoice: $24,677 (CR does not add the TDA into this figure. CR says that the TDA may or may not be a legit item -- pretty indecisive of CR if you ask me.)

Hold Back: $489 (Same as your quote, which makes me wonder about your quote since the Toyota hold back is usually 2% of the BASE MSRP (before optional equipment is added). You probably have more extras then you stated or you are in a district that adds other costs.)

Dealer's Cost: $24,188 (This number comes from the Invoice - hold back. Again, CR does NOT figure in the TDA to get to this number. CR's reason? Whether TDA's are even invoiced and it's amount when it is various too much between car manufacturers and districts for CR to keep track of.)

My thoughts:
    Hold Back = NO, I would not pay for the second time but I would realize that it is part of the dealers profit. We've all heard of a dealer selling at or below INVOICE. Well, the HOLD BACK still allows him a profit.

Finance Reserve = NO, I would not pay this. This does not affect the dealer in any way (according to my source).

TDA = Maybe or some portion thereof.

Philosophy: Figure out the bottom line price you are willing to pay for the car. For you I'd start at CR's Dealer's Cost and add maybe $200 to $500 realizing that the dealer might have actually paid the full TDA. Know the price if you were to add the full TDA to CR's Dealer's Cost.
    Next: Cross check some of the MSRP to INVOICE ratio of some of the other people's RAV4 purchases in this thread. This will also give you an ideal of where you should be.
    Last: Negotiate an "out-the-door" price. Don't let the dealer catch you up in item by item pricing. Tell him/her that the price you are offering can be broken up any way the dealer wants, but that is your price, not extra's such as Admin Fees, etc..
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Sweathog - I have a Ltd. 4x4 V6 and got 24.2 mpg on my 1st tank. Haven't used the 2nd tank yet.

You got a good price for your WRX. I traded my 02 WRX sedan w/ 62k and only got 11 and that was after some fighting.
  • Options
    pretzelbpretzelb Member Posts: 64
    I too traded in a Subaru WXR and I was averaging about 23 with that, but on premium. I got a decent deal.

They gave me 15000 for a 2003 WRX Wagon with 54000 miles
    and I paid about 26000 for the sport w/moonroof/towing package/6CD stereo

Interesting. May I ask what motivated you to switch from the Subaru to the RAV4? I'm debating a RAV4 and a Forester right now and would like to hear your thoughts.
  • Options
    sweathogsweathog Member Posts: 6
    I would have to say he EPA estimate of 28 on the RAV V6 w/regular and my subie averaging about 23mpg w/premium at 25 cents per gallon more.

Plus my wife couldn't drive a 5 speed (and boy was this thing fun/fast) and her van was just paid off and didnt want to get rid of it yet.

So far I love it (I miss the 5 speed at times). The V6 has plenty of power for those hae to haul [non-permissible content removed] moments. and its bigger interior.

Overall I'm saving $$. About $7 a fill up = $45/month plus my car insurance went down aboout $200 a year.
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Wow. That's saying a lot, if you traded a WRX for a Rav4 & really like the RAV4.

I'm thinking of trading my 2000 bmw 5-series 528i Wagon for a Rav4. I'm wondering if anyone else here has owned "expensive German cars", & what they think of the RAV4? I'm kind of worried that I'll miss the beautiful interior & handling of the bmw. But I'm in a "Toyota mood" right now.

My reasons are: I want AWD as I live in New England. I get tired of "sitting down low" in a car--I had a Range Rover & loved the seating position. I'm tired of switching tires twice a year--it sounds like the RAV4 does OK with the stock tires in the snow(?). And more cargo capacity--I think the RAV4 holds more than a 5-series Wagon.

Oh, & how are the front seats on the RAV4? Any thoughts on all this???

TIA! Woody

*They gave me 15000 for a 2003 WRX Wagon with 54000 miles
    and I paid about 26000 for the sport w/moonroof/towing package/6CD stereo*
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you haven't already been there you may be interested in the Subaru Forester vs Toyota RAV4 discussion.

tidester, host
  • Options
    pretzelb - These are very different vehicles. Subaru makes a great car. I had a 99' Forester (now my x's) and loved it. The new RAV is much larger and that's what put me into one. The WRX was a boy toy .. cool car and a lot of fun but as a geezer I was looking for comfort and something that could pull med. size trailer.
  • Options
    woodyww - I have a Ltd. V6 w/ leather. I wouldn't call the interior "beautiful" but it's quite nice and tasteful. The Rav is very nimble and tight but it's not going to handle like the WRX or a 5 series. The high seating position that you liked sure does feel more secure than down at ground zero. It's only been 5 days but I haven't missed the WRX yet.
    - hutch
  • Options
    vsoars1vsoars1 Member Posts: 4
    Get the Rav4 as soon as you can! I have driven a BMW Z3 for many happy years and would never sell it. Yet I have discovered the Rav4 drives more like a BMW than a BMW.

I test drove the two BMW sport activity vehicles on the race courses BMW sets up once a year. The Rav4 V6 would more than hold its own.

I have the V6 with the tow package to haul my glider in the mountains. It's worth every penny and good on gas.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the heads up Jim; the prices paid discussion got unlinked from the RAV4 group somehow (I know nothing... :blush:).

Should be fixed tomorrow.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    battinabattina Member Posts: 19
    Sorry for the delayed reply! Still getting used to the message board. My price was 500.00 under invoice,but I also got extras,that I didn't really expect. Completely loaded- moonroof,all extra airbags,leather-heated seats,JBL system, tonneau cover,daytime running lights,carpeted everything-left out the tow and dvd pkg.(NOT complaining)initial price was 28,709.00--Out the door including tax,license etc.,30.000.
  • Options
    flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    you did very well:)
  • Options
    flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    we get 30 mpg highway wth the 4 and 4wd..
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    yes but I am guessing you do not drife at a steady 70+ like the other guy mentioned when he complained about the I4
  • Options
    2ndgrade2ndgrade Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I've been reading these posts for months, but when I saw your post about trading a BMW for a RAV, I had to respond.

We will be trading our 1999 BMW 540i (8 cyl. 6sp. manual) for a RAV4 Limited 4cyl 2wd (Blizzard Pearl). It was a tough decision, but we were very pleased with the test drives in the RAV4, and we took several drives before we made our decision.

We've been trying for almost two months to sell the BMW privately, priced way below KBB, with no luck, so I guess next week when our RAV comes in we'll be trading it for even less. BUT, we're very excited to get our first ever Toyota and first ever SUV!
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    The recommendations from you & vsoars1--who both own bmw's--are impressive (you know how bmw-obsessed us bmw owners can be). And to trade a 540i 6sp. for a RAV4.....the 540i 6sp. is one of the more awesome bmw's, so that's quite a change.

One good thing for me--if I do this--is I have the 6 cyl. auto non-sport 5 series. It's a great car, but not the most exciting bmw--& the 6 cyl RAV4 is actually quicker 0-60. Also, mine has the boring 16" wheels, the chrome trim because it's a non-sport, & it's black, which on the E39 5series, at least the wagons, is IMHO the most boring color.

I like the fact that the 17" wheels on the RAV4 are standard with the V6. And you get the black window trim (not chrome) on all models I think?

One question: how do you like the seats on the RAV4 compared to your 540i?

cheers, woody
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Yet if you do a KBB value on any Toyota/Lexus product, you can't add it to the value? Just an observation.
  • Options
    toyowner1toyowner1 Member Posts: 8
    All they need now is diesel engines. I dont think Toyota wants to go there, they want you to think HYBRID
  • Options
    fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    Will pick it up tomorrow morning. See post #2974 on this thread for the details. The Pacific Blue looks better than it did the first time I saw it, and it's a cloudy, overcast day so I can't wait to see it in sunshine. Will keep this thread updated with MPG I get. :)
  • Options
    You may want to cross check your price with an Edmunds appraisal and then try the Sell Your Car link on the main edmunds.com page. There's also craigslist.com for free ads.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Actually it has to do with the diesel fuelin the States here. Until all the states allow diesel ( ULSD ) then no large manufacturer will go nationwide with diesel.

Now at the end of the year when ULSD is mandated and starts to get acceptance then diesels will start to flood here from the largest diesel manufacuters in the world, Toyota, VW, MB, Nissan, etc.

It's only a matter of the fuel available nowin the States.
  • Options
    Well I am on my second Audi A6 2.7 and need to replace it at the end of this year. I need more lite cargo room and was lookng toward an Audi A6 wagon or the BMW x3 or Lexus 300 type thing. I have never owned a Toyota or BMW. I would have never even looked at the RAV4 except that the C&D report and test numbers caught my eye. 0-60 and handling #s similar or better than Audi A4 plus good room.

So I have driven several different RAV4 versions and will probably buy the V6 Sport late this year. The ride and handling are very good and the V6 power is very nice.You hear the V6 while accelerating but not much when cruisin or at idle. The truck has lots of nice features. The AWD drive is not Quattro but funtionaly decent. I do not like the idea that the VSC can not be turned off because OFF is good in deep snow as I have learned from the Audi.

I am not kidding myself that the RAV4 is an Audi or BMW, particularly in the area of interior design, displays, seats or comfort. The RAV4 seats are at best OK. A well equipped RAV4 V6 Sport at $26.5K is at least $10K to $12K less than X3 or Lexus 330 even before taxes. It is around $20K less than A6 Advant. I am worried about eventual rattles and noise and there is not much about that from Toyota owners here. The Audi warranty is better to 48K but if you keep it longer you need a $3K extended warranty as repair costs are very high.

The bottom line is the RAV4 looks like it will provide the right level of fun and usefulness with enough money left for 2-4 trips to Italy. Since I am retired now and do not drive as much especially long trips the RAV4 cost advantage is a factor.

Will I miss the Audi.....you bet! Nothing makes a 5 hour trip seem like a 3 hour trip than cruising in an A6 2.7T at 75!
  • Options
    bgsayebgsaye Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I purchased our 2006 4cyl Sport (Silver) today with the following options:
    -Moonroof
    -JBL audio
    -Side Airbags
    -Daytime Running Lights
    -Carpet Mats

MSRP: 24,857
    Price we paid: 23,630 (500 below Edmunds TMV)

We went to Hank Aaron Toyota south of Atlanta and had a great experience with everyone there. I would definitely suggest getting quotes via the internet from internet sales members. We love it! :shades:
  • Options
    rileycarrileycar Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an identical model and equipment two weeks ago for 26,100. Color, light green. The Blizzard Pearl on your example is a special order paint. I believe it is $500.00 additional but I could be wrong. I purchased mine in Massachusetts.
  • Options
    I was looking at a Rav4 limited today, and I noticed that there were two small (about 3/4" in diameter) buttons (for lack of a better word) on the driver's side dash way up near the windshield. I assumed that these were photocell(s) that told the car when either the running lights or the full night-time lights should be on. I asked the sales guy about them and he told me that no, they had nothing to do with the light system, they were for the security system. He said they are what causes that little red security light to blink on and off.

Please, I'd like to have the correct answer from someone who knows. Surely, he can't be right.

Thanks.
  • Options
    scottyg1234scottyg1234 Member Posts: 25
    I have the V6 Limited RAV4, and I know the two items you are referring to. It has nothing to do with the DRL or the headlights, because the daytime running lights are on unless you turn on your headlights, and the car does not have automatic headlights (i.e. they do not turn on by themselves), although they do turn off by themselves a few minutes after you turn off the car if you leave the switch in the on position. The Limited (both I4 and V6) have automatic climate control, and I believe that one of the items you are referring to is a sensor for that. I believe that the other one is the receiver for the remote keyless entry. I love my RAV it id great... :blush:
  • Options
    markiz7markiz7 Member Posts: 19
    Front Window Rattle

We recently purchased a new RAV but have discovered a problem & are wondering if anybody else has the same issue.

If you have the front windows (doesn’t matter either one) a little bit down (say 1 to 4 inches), we noticed that there is a small rattle. I believe the problem is due to that when the window is down that the front part of the glass is vibrating against the small piece of triangular plastic near the front of the window. This piece of plastic seems to be made of a cheaper material than in other cars. If the window is further down (say half-way), the glass will be clear of the plastic and the noise is gone...

Yes, mine does the same thing. It is worse on driver's side. Was your dealer able to fix it and how? Anybody else with the same problem?

Thanks

Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks Scottyg1234. I'm glad I didn't make a fool of myself by challenging the sales guy in front of him. I thought of it being a temperature sensor but decided against it do to it's location (If I wanted to control the temperature of the inside, I wouldn't think the sensor should be at a point which gets the most direct sunlight? Conversely, If I wanted to know the outside temperature, again I wouldn't put the sensor there.) The remote entry system makes to most sense to me. But, I forgot to mention this, after the sales guy told me what they were for, I walked over to a Highlander Limited Hybrid to see if it had these buttions. It did. I then looked at a Highlander Basic Hybrid. It had the knock outs for the buttons still intact with no buttons. Surely the Highlander Basic Hybrid also has a keyless entry system??

Thanks for your repsonse.
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    It's not a temperature sensor, it's a solar sensor. It tells the climate control computer the intensity of sunlight so that the system behaves differently during bright sun, overcast skies, and night time.
  • Options
    ahhh; that sound reasonable to me. Problem solved. Thanks.
  • Options
    snowman12snowman12 Member Posts: 7
    I got a 2006 AWD Limited V6 in silver yesterday. It has FE EJ GY RL TO DK and CF. I was thinking about getting a 4 cyl limited. But after reading about the clunky 4 speed transmission that comes with 4 cyl, in this forum and rav4world.com, decided to go with V6.

While driving home from dealership, I could feel the bumps on the road (they say PA has one of the worst roads in the country). The engine is smooth. I think it takes time to get used to the accelerator. My previous car was 94 geo prism.

I paid 26,000. I think this price is better than Fitzmall. They had a similar one some time back for 26315.
  • Options
    tecsol1tecsol1 Member Posts: 7
    Congrat's....

What was the list/invioce on this one?
  • Options
    The MSRP was 27879.
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    While driving home from dealership, I could feel the bumps on the road (they say PA has one of the worst roads in the country).

Check your tire pressure. Many new cars have tires overinflated for shipping and the dealers forget to adjust the pressure during prep.
  • Options
    What are DK and CF options?
  • Options
    They are owner portfolio (don't ask me what that mean)and floor carpet.
  • Options
    I think it's just a fancy way of saying the owner's manuals and the case they stick them in.

tk865, "Toyota Advertising Fees" #66, 7 Feb 2003 11:04 am

Steve, Host
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Believe the button you are refering to only disables traction control, not stability control, so you can still spin wheels to dig out of deep snow.
  • Options
    Well I did not state the problem clearly.
    I am not talking about turnng off Quattro or AWD. I have found on the Audi that at slow speeds in deep snow of say up to the bumper, the car is worse with stability control on than off. It seems that the stablity control adjust power/brakeing to try to keep the car straight. This kills momentum when you are tying to get going and maintain a steady speed of say 20 MPH in deep snow or up a grade. Not always good when your trying to make it the last half mile up the ski house hill in VT. after dinner out.

People here have reported the same thing with the 2006 RAV4 and one guy from Canada knew just what he and I were talking about with regard to deep snow, low speed performance.

I understand that the RAV4 AWD switch just keeps full AWD drive on at speeds less than 25MPH and that it is not doing anything with the VSC.

By the way C&D had a recent test of a new Toyota sedan and did not think much of the VSC.

Also I am not sure how the electric steering on the RAV4 plays in all of this. Supposedly it helps keep you from doing dumb stuff with the front wheels.

The VSC is a great thing on the Audi and I am sure it is a good safety thing on the RAV4 but it is not perfect. And I would suggest to people that they get the feel for it in the rain and snow in a big open parking lot before they get too enthusiatic in their driving as I suspect that it could suprise you at times when it is doing one thing and you are trying to do something else.
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    2006 V6 Limited 4x4, Blizzard Pearl/Tan interior
    EJ - JBL 440W Upgraded stereo
    GY - Side curtain airbags
    RL – Running lights
    SR – Sunroof
    PC – Special color (Blizzard Pearl)
    TO – Tow Package
    CF – Carpet floor mats

MSRP $28999.00

My price $26910.00 + tax and license = OTD $29700.00

According to Edmunds, it’s @$750 over invoice,I consider this a fair profit for a high demand vehicle. I also sold my 05’ Camry for 3K more than the trade offer. I was extremely blessed in every aspect of this purchasing experience.

Next step, roof rack….off! Splashguards and all weather mats on!

I’ll keep you updated on the mileage. My “5 speed manual” 05’ Camry got real close to the Highway rating of 33, I typically got 29-31 here in Tucson. I would think I’ll be able to obtain around 26 with the air on with the RAV………..we’ll see!
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Every time the professional drivers test a Toyota or Lexus they complain that they can't push the vehicles to their limits ( tires squealing through a slalom course ) because the VSC kicks in and slows them down until the 'out-of-control situation' is corrected in half a second or two.

The professionals would like to use their expertise rather than the built in system, which is understandable.

Your point is good though about testing it for yourself. However for the next several months that's going to be hard since it will be mostly dry and hot. In winter next go to a recently plowed empty parking and get up a good head of steam say at 30-40 mph and whip the wheel left or right. You'll be surprised that it's very difficult if not impossible to get 'out of control'.
  • Options
    I agree except to say...Don't "whip the wheel left or right.." on the first try. Build up to it by making a few lesser turns etc. After all it is an SUV and has a little higher CG than most of us are use to. Don't be the first 2006 RAV4 owner to fall into the 17% possible tip up range mentioned on the goverment crash test rating. None of us want to read that owner input here next winter.
  • Options
    toxtox Member Posts: 3
    My Base V6 AWD was delivered on Thursday. I had planned to replace the steel wheels with after market alloys. However, upon reading the owner's manual, I discovered that removal of "genuine toyota" wheels will disable the Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
    I could live with that...but...does this mean that the TPMS warning light will flash continuously?...and...will this affect other systems in the vehicle?
    Anyone out there have any experience with this?
    Cheers! Tox
  • Options
    If your are one of the folks like me who will buy or already bought your RAV4 V6 with the Toyota Tow Prep Package and think your are prepared to tow once you get a hitch, Toyota has a little suprise for us. Even though the option mentions a connector, the cable needed from the front of the truck to the rear hitch area is not part of the package. For this you need a Toyota harness ($130+) plus installation (2-4 hours) estimated.

There is info on this showing up at other RAV4 discussions on the net.
  • Options
    beth10beth10 Member Posts: 15
    Just bought a new RAV4 V6 4x4 Limited w/:
    GY
    RL
    SR
    TH
    TO
    CT

MSRP: $29,044
    My price before tax & admin: $26,729
    They charged $500 over invoice and waived the TDA fee.

First fill-up was 23.2 mpg, 30% city / 70% highway.

It's SOOOOO quiet and smooth (traded in a CRV). I love the little things like the indention on the door cubby so it can hold a 20 oz bottle--ingenious.
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    Today marks 9 weeks I've been waiting for my 2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Sport in Flint Mica color. Now, the dealer might be able to trade with another dealer for one in early May.
    Anyway, I stopped by the Toyota dealer today, and in the showroom was a nice looking Barcelona Red, V6 Sport FWD. The dealer had installed black leather on the seats for $1,999 extra. I was SOOOO tempted to just buy it, since the cost of the leather almost offset the extra cost of the 4WD over FWD. However, I have heard at least one owner of the V6 with FWD comment that traction is easily lost when accelerating with the V6 and FWD. Can anyone with a V6 FWD RAV4 tell me how much traction is lost? I'm mainly concerned with wet road traction. I currently drive a 1999 Camry V6 5 speed manual and wet raod traction is embarrasing. Sometimes, even accelerating slowly can cause wheelspin, which can be nasty when pulling out onto a busy road from a stop sign.
  • Options
    Well wet road traction is pretty much a tire thing.If the wheels are spinning, the engine is putting as much power to the road as the tire grip can handle. I am sure the truck type tires on the RAV4 are not the best. AWD will help but it will not make up for poor tires.

But if you thought you needed AWD
    9 weeks ago, why not now. I guess it is the "new toy now" urge that we all get when we want a new car?
    Goood luck.Where are you located?
  • Options
    tecsol1tecsol1 Member Posts: 7
    :confuse: I'm in Connecticut and haven't seen many 4443 models of the Sport with V6 available even on the koons and fitzmall listings. Are these the last modls to brekout for release? Would like to go for this model but seems like a difficult find for a decent deal. Have a wedding next month in Baltimore and would even do a deal down there! Anybody with great deals in New England area?
  • Options
    Well only about 2% of all RAV4s are Sport V6. But they are around in NY (Long Island) and at Fitzmall. Call around. Sunrise Toyota and Atlantic Toyota have them in small quantities. But not with Curtain Bags in NY or the Northeast Region. For that Fitzmall or a trade is the only way. I would bet fitmall can get you one on a month
  • Options
    Well the Fitzmall site has a well equipped silver Sport V6 showing as coming in now. That is something you can probably have in a month. And it has the side curtain bags which are hard to find in the NE. Check it out.