Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Comments

• stroudmanstroudman Posts: 192
    A visit to your local MB dealer to test drive the new M-class will tell you more than half of what you might be wondering as far as Drivability, fit and finish, acceleration and braking. You can probably expect 3-5 miles better per gallon in the R vs. the M, realistically. Premium fuel.
  • mscmsc Posts: 5
    A visit to your local MB dealer to test drive the new M-class will tell you more than half of what you might be wondering as far as Drivability, fit and finish, acceleration and braking.

I agree and disagree. I drove the M500 before, and it was much more nimble than the R, handling wise. The air suspension felt more responsive in the M class: it was more predictive, and would flatten out the car in a curve before there was much (if any) body roll. The R would flatten out around a curve, but if you took one too quickly, the moment that it takes for the suspension to react almost results in a bouncing-back sensation as the car leans out, and then is flattened again. Acceleration as well is effortless in the M500, less so in the R500, but still very generous.

The braking feel is similar: I believe that both cars are brake-by-wire, and the feel is very authoritative and smooth in both. Fit and finish in both cars was phenomenal. As for fuel economy, time will tell: my impression is that the R is heavier than the M, and retains 4wd, so my guess would be that the R is a little worse on that issue.
  • rktechrktech Posts: 25
    Have any of you compared the Chrysler (Daimler) Pacifica basic design concept to that of the R class ? Essentially they're the same in terms of size and seating layout, but clearly the sheetmetal differs by leaps and bounds.

...just curious if anyone picked-up on the similarities ?

Oh, and if the R class had automatic sliding rear doors, we'd have perhaps the ultimate luxo minivan (yes, I like minivans, and am willing to admit it modestly disguised in an online forum).

Enjoy all !
  • stefanxkrstefanxkr Posts: 3
    Do any of you "sheep" recognize a Chrysler Pacifica in "R" Class clothing???

It's pretty obvious to me. The Pacifica is an ok car but the ergonomics and design (assuming the improvements MB running gear and engines make) are mediocre, at best and have been in production now for a few years in the USA. So what is everyone so excited abouted?
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    much bigger than Pacifica, I believe. It's a foot longer than an Escalade and weights 5000+ lbs.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    Is worlds different from the Pacifica. I don't see a thing alike between them other than the fact that they are both not quite SUVs and not quite vans. I've heard good things about the R-Class thus far.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Definitely.

Power, interior, exterior design, features, handling. The R class doesnt share any of these with the Pacifica.

I don't know if they share parts or not, but I do know the R class is not a dressed up Pacifica the way and Escalade/QX56/LX470 are.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    http://www.mbusa.com/main/features/rclass/index.jsp

The pricing I received from M-B USA starts at $48,775 for the R-350.

Anyone thinks this a disguised Pacifica has lost their auto enthusiast gene!
  • rktechrktech Posts: 25
    I don't think the R-Class is a redressed Pacifica, but conceptually the two are very similiar...seating setup, and overall size. As I understand it, the R is roughly the same size as the Town&Country van, perhaps not quite as tall, and is rear wheel drive...again, all quite like the Pacifica.

Now, true to MB form, the interior and mechanical features are thoroughly upgraded...they're marketing to a different set of folks than the typical Pacifica driver.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    with standard AWD?

John
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The R-Class is awd only, not rwd.

M
  • I have been on the waiting list at my dealership for almost 2 years now... was actually #1...

I have ordered the R350 silver/black...

with airmatic, premium pkg, rear side airbags, sirius, comfort, etc... listing at about 61k

Haven't decided if it will be a lease or a buy.... leaning toward lease because newer engines will be out shortly thereafter....

Was surprised that Blue Tooth is not mentioned in this first vehicle.... hmmmm... that is a much needed feature in this day of cell phone ticketing..............

Also getting a new 3 series 4wd for drives where I don't need to haul people... should be a good winter..
    Well the R350 won't be getting a new engine, but of course for the 2007 model year the R500 will get the new 382hp 5.5L V8 from the new S-Class.

M
  • wopelwopel Posts: 92
    I have looked at the options time and again for the R Class and don't believe I see anything about a roof rack. It would seem to me that a station wagon/suv/etc type vehicle would have one. I don't use the one I have regularly, but it's a nice feature to have when I need it. Do you or anyone have any info on this?
    Thanks,
    W
  • ysleepysleep Posts: 1
    We are in the market for an R class but hate the idea of having to pay full MSRP on a car we won't even get a chance to test drive and is in its first year of production. In particular when it is coming out of the same manufacturing plant that has had difficulties in the past. I have called a couple of local dealers and they are insisting on the full MSRP. They both say that they have low margins on the car. How likely am I to pay less than MSRP if I wait a few months on the purchase? Those of you who have ordered the vehicle, where you able to get any discount? Any advice on getting a better price?
    Thanks,
    RP
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    here thinks the R is a disguised Pacifica.

The point several posters have made is that it looks very much like a Pacifica.

Similar styling among MB/Chrysler/Dodge products may be inevitable now.....

IMO it is a mistake to let the R resemble the Pacifica so closely.
  • teds1teds1 Posts: 180
    I loved the R class at the NY auto show when I saw it up close... very classy even Maybach Classy. I'd like to be driven in it but as far as a purchase, not really my style. I love that there is a movement towards large respectable non SUV luxo haulers though. Down with escalades.
  • djagdjag Posts: 39
    It is essentially a Pacifica with a slightly longer and narrower body. Even the option list is about the same except the R is higher. The Pacifica has a terrific nav system located in the center of the speedo. But even the dash resembles the Pacifica a little. The drive train and suspension for both is from the E model. There is a strong resemblance in the two designs but of course the Mercedes trim and the V8 will attract many buyers who are willing to pay the extra price.
    The drivetrain for the Pacifica is not from the E-Class and neither is the suspension. The Pacifica has a similar design made from iron as opposed to aluminum on the previous Benz E-Class. The Pacific's engine is pure Chrysler.

The R-Class shares nothing but a similar theme with the Pacifica.

M
    Edmunds has a pretty good review of the R-Class.

R-Class

They seem to like it a lot, but it is pricey for a loaded R500.

M
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    I'm not into the styling direction of the R class. Too much swoopy styling that looks like a mixed bag of Chrysler, Cadillac, & MB all rolled into one. I think Audi's Q7 is a lot sexier, and would rather spend my money there. 73k for a loaded R500 is a bit steep to spend on a suedo looking van.
    The Pacifica uses a five-link independent rear suspension that was optimized in the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in Berlin. Its architecture (not parts) is borrowed from the recently redesigned Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan. The four-wheel independent suspension allows the Pacifica to provide a soft ride, more like a car than a truck-based SUV. There's also a standard load-leveling system that will help keep the vehicle from sagging under added weight. Parts are aluminum. (Edmunds)
    Its pretty much what I said. The Pacifica uses parts inspired by the E-Class, that previous one that is. That R and Pacifica don't use any interchangeable parts was my point. Everyone knows that a lot of the R&D was carried out by MB in Germany.

M
    It is borrowed from the new E version "the recently redesigned" version.
    Everything I've read says its from the previous E, but its really no big deal because they're very similar in layout, especially the two E's rear suspension.

M
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,173
    Do you have any word on the R class with CDI. I would consider one with the 320 CDI engine. I may just take the leap and get an E320 CDI along with a German vacation.
    My guess based on everything pending with clean diesel would be the first quarter of 2007.

M
  • I believe the R-Class shares the underpinning R & D from the 06 M-Class. There are actually two different lengths planned, with a shorter version targeting the European market.
  • The Pacifica uses a transverse mounted cookie cutter v-6 from the Chrysler parts bin.
    This is a front wheel drive vehicle with an auxiliary drive shaft bringing up the rear as called for.

No Benz starts out as a front driver with the torque steer, etc. and other common traits of a front wheel drive.

The R is based on the rear drive S-4Matic chassis with a longitudinally mounted engine layout as is proper for any performance vehicle. Add to that the always available front wheel thrust and you have the best of all worlds with the performance and feel a a road machine.

No other model on the market today will combine so many enthusiast features with all weather safety and functionality in one luxury package.

Call it a station wagon, a mini van, an suv or a crossover but not a Pacifica.