Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL vs. Infiniti M35

Comments

• sgl1sgl1 Posts: 34
    There is a fee associated with the RealTime traffic updates, but does anyone know if the fee is part of the monthly XM radio subscription - or is it a completely separate fee?

And yes, I agree - the RL should have a rearview camera. I'm perplexed it does not, because it's an option on other Acura vehicles and the RL is their flagship. . . Then again, I think the RL should also have cooled seats, intelligent cruise control, lane departure warning, and a compass!
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Posts: 341
    There is a fee associated with the RealTime traffic updates, but does anyone know if the fee is part of the monthly XM radio subscription - or is it a completely separate fee?

It's an extra fee on top of your regular XM subscription price - either $1.95 or $2.95 per month sticks in my mind as the extra amount.

Then again, I think the RL should also have cooled seats, intelligent cruise control, lane departure warning, and a compass!

A friend has intelligent cruise control and he hates it - he says anytime a car changes lanes in front of him, it's like the brakes are slammed. As a result, he only uses it when there isn't much traffic, which is exactly the way I use my nonintelligent cruise control.

As far as lane departure warnings, from what I read they are very problematic due to old lane markings, contruction markings, etc. One reviewer said he turned his off after about 100 miles because the warning went off so often.
    the RL seems to be experiencing many more Bluetooth related problems than the M (Acura has already released one fix and according to forum chatter its not totally fixed yet).

The only Bluetooth related problems I've had were due to Verizon, not the RL. Several of the advertised functions on the RL wouldn't work with the Verizon phone since Verizon had required some functions to be disabled. However, I recently downloaded a program update for my phone and it now works very well.

To me the RearView Camera is a much more usefuil option than the NavTraffic.

I would tend to agree; however, I had the backup sensors installed and they work great. I'm not sure I'd find a camera that much more useful.
  • ricknyrickny Posts: 2
    My two week old RL has 1200 miles on it already.
    As I posted earlier decision was very very difficult. RL vs M35x.
    I chose RL. Why not M?
    Because for me RL is a little more luxurious, offers the same performance as M35x and offers great value(at $45,300).

BTW I get a lot of compliments from different people on my RL.

Please do not fight over which car is better, it's about which car is better for You.
    Good luck.
  • varixvarix Posts: 72
    I was as torn as everyone else here on which of these two cars to purchase (interesting that the GS doesn't have a thread comparing it to the RL and M35X, I never considered it after driving these two). I came down on the side of the M35X and bought one a few days ago as it just "felt" right for me. Just like the RL felt right for rickny. You just can't beat your gestalt about a car no matter how many reviews you read. The back up camera is great but I would've liked the traffic/nav system better, others see it just the opposite. I would hate to pay 50K or so for a car because others thought I should like it and then 2 years later I'm not happy. By then the critics have long gone on to other cars. I just can't imagine not being really pleased with my M35x in a few years as long as the workmansip holds up and I don't think that'll be a problem. Of course anything'll seem great after the miserable Volvo s80 I drove for 4 years, what a repair sponge! So glad to be out of that car...
    In summary you can't go wrong with either and if I had enough cash it'd be great to own both, wishful thinking! :)
    Got a message back from XM. It appears the Real time Traffic service is $9.95/month. . . not sure if everyone is aware of this!
    -------------------------
    "Thank you for contacting XM Satellite Radio.

We are happy to hear about your interest in XM's NavTraffic service!

The service is powered by NAVTEQ Traffic, a new product from NAVTEQ, the leading
    global provider of digital map data for vehicle navigation systems. XM
    NavTraffic is the nation's first satellite traffic information service that
    enables a vehicle's on-board navigation system to display current traffic
    information for a driver's route. It is offered as a premium service.
    NavTraffic service is offered at $9.99 per month.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to send an additional email
    or you may contact a Listener Care Representative directly at 1-800-XM RADIO
    (800-967-2346). For commercial accounts please contact 1-888-689-2300 or email
    commercial@xmradio.com. "
    Got a message back from XM. It appears the Real time Traffic service is $9.95/month. . . not sure if everyone is aware of this!

It's only $9.95 per month if you don't have XM radio as well. If you have XM radio, the extra charge for NavTraffic is $3.99 per month. It was just increased from $2.95 per month.
    Nabraskiguy - I think you may be incorrect. It appears the price for the NAV-Traffic service from XM is $9.99, in addition to the std XM radio fee of $12.95. Please see below directly from XM. . .
    ----------------------

"We are sorry, but the NavTraffic service is not available at a discounted price,
    as we are unable to offer the package without a basic XM subscription first
    being applied to your radio. The monthly NavTraffic price is $9.99, plus the
    standard $12.95 monthly price for our basic XM service. Please let us know if
    you would like some further information.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to send an additional email
    or you may contact a Listener Care Representative directly at 1-800-XM RADIO
    (800-967-2346). For commercial accounts please contact 1-888-689-2300 or email
    commercial@xmradio.com. "
    Nabraskiguy - I think you may be incorrect. It appears the price for the NAV-Traffic service from XM is $9.99, in addition to the std XM radio fee of $12.95. Please see below directly from XM. . .

I don't know what to tell you, but I've now called XM three times, including just now, and all three times I was quoted a price of $3.99 per month on top of the $12.95 XM subscription price.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    About a month ago I was browsing the XM website and saw a $2.95 premium for Traffic above the normal $9.95 per month charge. I know that the basic service went up to $12.95 so apparently Traffic Premium went up as well.

I have yet to research OnStar - what is the monthly fee for that service?

Looks the the cost of actually using the RL's "technology" is going to be very expensive :surprise: I must say that the user fees involved with the RL's so-called advantage in the LPS market is moving me towards the M35.
    Looks the the cost of actually using the RL's "technology" is going to be very expensive I must say that the user fees involved with the RL's so-called advantage in the LPS market is moving me towards the M35.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The costs of using the technology on the RL are no different from its competition. Unless you're saying that something is available on the RL (NavTraffic?) that isn't available on the M35, your comment doesn't make sense. Even if that's what you're saying, so what - you simply make the decision to pay for the service, or don't pay for the service. At least you get it for one year without paying extra and you can reassess at the end of the year.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. The costs of using the technology on the RL are no different from its competition. Unless you're saying that something is available on the RL (NavTraffic?) that isn't available on the M35, your comment doesn't make sense. Even if that's what you're saying, so what - you simply make the decision to pay for the service, or don't pay for the service. At least you get it for one year without paying extra and you can reassess at the end of the year.

As an undecided shopper I eagerly read what folks have to say about both cars; pro and con. It seems to me (from the overwhelming majority of posts) that the RL's claim to fame so to speak (its technological edge) is the SH-AWD and the AcuraLink tie of RealTimeTraffic to the Navi (and the "related "OnStar" that not all LPS cars offer). What I am saying is that the RL's big pluses miss the mark with me. I have no NEED for RealTimeTraffic; although if it works perfectly then I guess it would be a nice "freebie." I also wonder if that is not hurting sales a little? I mean the RL's "marque" advantage is only available in 21 cities nationwide :blush: Nor do I have to have satelite radio; it wasn't very long ago that 6-Disc In-Dash CD players was the rage.

The comment makes sense to me; although I can afford an RL and can afford the software charges, I do not consider these options to be necessary for me - ESPECIALLY at $20+ per month (I still do not know how much OnStar costs). I can get an M35 loaded with what is important to me for less than the RL AND includes "essentials" not available as even an option on the RL (e.g. RearView Camera and Full Size Spare).
    Am I the only one bothered by monthly cable-TV like charges for your car? I have a cell phone with tons of minutes (as I am sure everyone else does); just what is the advantage of an OnStar subscription? And how much does it cost? I actually like my local radio stations, most of the time, and have lots of CDs for other times and trips. And it seems to me that RealTimeTraffic will NOT save me any real driving time where I live; at least not on a consistent routine basis to justify the cost!

I wonder how many people will actually renew these services after the trial period? I know that OnStar renewal rates are low. Clearly the RL is a great car with a lot of nice touches, but it also misses the mark on many important features standard elsewhere (e.g. RearView Camera and Ventilated Seats). What I meant by my earlier comment is that $20+ monthly charges for features not at the top of my critical list is causing this still undecided shopper to lean in another direction.
  • billinsobebillinsobe Posts: 47
    OnStar charges depend on what service level you want. They range in price depending on the options you get and the number of telephone minutes you want.

The RL comes with a year's worth of OnStar included.

Verizon has a deal with OnStar details can be found at http://www.vzwshop.com/onstar/.
    Am I the only one bothered by monthly cable-TV like charges for your car? I have a cell phone with tons of minutes (as I am sure everyone else does); just what is the advantage of an OnStar subscription? And how much does it cost? I actually like my local radio stations, most of the time, and have lots of CDs for other times and trips. And it seems to me that RealTimeTraffic will NOT save me any real driving time where I live; at least not on a consistent routine basis to justify the cost!

I would never renew OnStar just for the cell phone functions. The emergency services, however, might get me to renew, though I'm not sure. I don't know the cost, but I believe just the emergency services is about $10 per month.

I like my local radio stations, as well. However, for trips I much prefer XM to CDs because of the wide variety as well as the comedy channels and the news stations. I often enjoy listening to types of music which aren't in my CD collection. On a recent road trip, we went from jazz to classic country to big band. We'd either have had to carry a lot of CDs along and changed them out, or just listened to the same six during the trip.

I don't plan to renew NavTraffic since my commute is all on city streets and I rarely encounter traffic problems that could be avoided by use of NavTraffic. However, if I had commutes like some of my coworkers that can vary from 45 minutes to two hours depending on accidents, etc., I can guarantee I'd have NavTraffic.
  • robertashrobertash Posts: 13
    A 2004 G35 is listed at $4000 less than a 2004 TL. That is based on a base vehicle. Equipped the same you would be $6000 less. In other words, Acura has a MUCH BETTER resale than the Infiniti. The M35 won't do any better. Base price $40M but $50M with same equipment. By the way, no one even mentioned that the RL has On Star and which isn't offred on the Infiniti. RL has approx 600 voice commands vs some 200 on M35
  • robertashrobertash Posts: 13
    They're all pink inside!
    On one of these forums there have been several posts regarding the backup camera on the M as opposed to the backup sensors available on the RL. I was talking to a coworker this morning and remembered he'd had both - backup sensors on his last BMW and backup camera on his FX. I asked him which he preferred. He said no contest - backup sensors. He said there are several problems with a backup camera:

1. You have to focus your attention on the screen instead of looking all around
    2. If you're parallel parking with a small, low car behind you, it's hard to tell when you get too close
    3. When it's raining, if your camera lens gets spattered, everything gets distorted

As a result, he said the only time he really depends on it is in our awful parking garage at work with all its pillars and other obstructions.
  • cbgcbg Posts: 13
    I've never tried backup sensors, but I really like the backup camera. My wife parks outside in the driveway and my M is in the garage. It's very easy for me to pull out in the morning without having to keep turning my head. Yes, you still need to look around you once to make sure nothing is coming from the side, but once you've done that the camera is very useful.

On the comments;
    1. Focus - yes you have to look at the backup camera screen. That's the point of the feature!
    2. I find the M camera to be excellent. I can see to the ground and it is accurate. I haven't had any problems telling how close I am to something.
    3. Haven't had any problems with rain, but suppose this could happen. Guess you would just have to wipe the lens off.
    1. Focus - yes you have to look at the backup camera screen. That's the point of the feature!

And that was my point - with a backup sensor you don't have to look at a screen. You can be looking around, paying attention to other drivers, etc., while still listening to the beeping.

3. Haven't had any problems with rain, but suppose this could happen. Guess you would just have to wipe the lens off.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'd want to be doing - getting out in the rain to wipe off the lens so I could see.

But, I guess we've both ended up with what we want - you're happy with your camera and I'm happy with my backup sensors.
This discussion has been closed.