Options

Acura TL vs Lexus IS 350

Comments

• Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    huh, I am only capable of reading between the lines. :P
  • Options
    maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    225bhp for the 330i vs. 270 bhp for the TL means nothing. What are their acceleration figures in real life? It is widely known BMW underrates their horsepower figures. That is why a *225* bhp 330i will run neck and neck with a 270bhp TL.
  • Options
    "You did wonders for my ego!!!!"

Let me inflate your ego some more....the TL is the best thing since sliced bread! lol.
  • Options
    delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    True...both the 330i and TL should run neck-to-neck. Just a personal preference in the TL's total package at a great price and how it drives in the real world driving conditions and not going around cones.

Glad to see you don't think the TL sucks and that you would consider the TL over the BMW 3-series or G35 for overall value. Really...test drive the TL again and give us your thoughts. And if you want more road grab...try it with the 'summer package'.
  • Options
    I didn't say I would consider the TL over the 330i or G35. I said I would buy the TL over the 330i or G35. I personally don't find the G35 appealing as the interior is awfully executed! And I'm not a big fan of the new BMW styling direction. Although the BMW 3-series has been saved from the extreme banglification of the BMW 6-series or 7-series. But still the interior of the 3-series has taken a nosedive, style wise. Nor am I a big fan of German ergonomics or the reliability factor. Let's not forget the 3er is small inside. Although for a person who puts driving enjoyment over all else, the 3er is the way to go.
  • Options
    These are great cars, but for the money, it's hard to beat the TL. The sound system alone is in a different class, and the only BMW that is faster is the M series. I know, numbers are not everything, but they tell me the TL is a very fast machine, looks great inside and out.
  • Options
    The others look even better in my rear view mirror...
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    The 540 will blow the doors off any TL manual or auto, a 1999 540I blew the doors off my my TLS a few summers ago.

Also, my friend has a 1998 528I, I beat him all the time but he is right there on my tail and his car got a 197 ponies and mine with 260 ponies.

Go figure.
  • Options
    btw...I think we are done talking about IS 350 until its release.
  • Options
    Well some of the 5 series cars come with V8s, and there is a V10, that's not a fair comparison, in addition, a top of the line 5 costs $75k. But the lower end 5's are actually slower than the TL.
  • Options
    What's the point of comparing a 540i to a TL? YOu can buy almost 2 TL's for the price of a 540i!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're supposed to be comparing the TL to the new IS 350 ... there are other discussions here where you folks can continue.
  • Options
    bogeydogbogeydog Member Posts: 8
    There are many sites promoting this through spy photos. 400+ HP?
  • Options
    ok Pat, sorry. :cry:
  • Options
    The Canadian website shows specs for the new IS350. It shows 310HP/280 ft./lbs. of torque. Approx. 3600 lbs with low drag at .275. All this should make the car pretty quick. Most peopel confuse HP with acceleration. Top speed is a product of HP's ability to overcome the drag of a car. More HP will result in a higher top speed as will lower drag with the same HP. Torque is what you feel in the seat of your pants. This is what creates the 0-6- and 1/4 mile times. More available low end lorque, better acceleration numbers. Torque comes from cubic inches or super charging/turbo charging. In addition, transmission and differential gearing makes a huge difference in torque multiplication. Think of a 10-speed bike. That is why grandma's econo car can feel peppy or zippy. The gearing creates this feeling.

So, there are many items that ultimately result in top speed, acceleration, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks for the lesson professor! ;)

3600 lbs is a heavy car.
  • Options
    Both cars are heavy:

TL (Auto) 3570
    IS (Auto) 3527

In comparsion, the 350Z Auto is 3200+/- with about the same torque and 20 less HP. Should result in about the same performance times.
  • Options
    The IS just looks too small to be so heavy. I knew the TL was a heavy car, but it just looks much bigger than an IS. Maybe I need my glasses checked. :P
  • Options
    The Lexus IS is about 178" in length, the TL is 189" in length. So there is a big difference in length.
  • Options
    I was not comparing the TL to the 540i, I was jus replying to Frisconick comments about the M series is the only BMW that can outrun the TL.
  • Options
    Wow...11" car length is a huge difference. I believe a Honda Civic is about 175".

Any information on the cabin space?
  • Options
    The IS is will be similar in interior space to a Civic also. The Audi A4, MB C-class, and BMW 3-series are all under 180" in length.
  • Options
    timidatortimidator Member Posts: 3
    I was comparing the sizes and power of the G35, TL, 06 330i, and IS350. The TL is the largest car and the BMW is the smallest. The TL is the heaviest car and the BMW is the lightest. The IS350 is the most powerful car and the BMW is the least powerful. One of the interesting dimensions among these cars is their turning diameter. The TL has a turning diameter of 39.7 ft. and the IS350 has a turning diameter of 33.5 ft. I guess having the engine sit sideways interferes with the turning ability of the vehicle. I would guess in real-world driving U-turns could sometimes be challenging. Both the G35 and the BMW having a turning diameter of 36 ft. By the way, the advertised length of the IS350 is 180.1".
  • Options
    ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    I will admit that the TL does have a cumbersome turning radius. Funny, someone else on the TL or '06 TL board just complained about it, too. Fortuanately its top-notch navigation results in my having to make fewer u-turns!!!
  • Options
    Actually, I find the Civic surprisingly roomy. That is a compliment to the IS. My nieghbor has a Civic and we ride to work now and then, and I am always surprised how much room there is, and I a 6 foot.
  • Options
    quest3quest3 Member Posts: 33
    I think it's safe to say they are both great cars (at least the IS350 appears it will be).Now we are just talking about these 2 cars no others the price of the Lexus keeps coming up and with good reason but let me give my situation and see what you guys think. I am buying either the TL or the IS350 no doubt in my mind now I can get the IS350 fully loaded for 42K and I'm willing to do that or I can save 12k and get the TL. I say 12k cause the TL I'm looking at that I can get right now is the demo the manager been driving around and has 2k miles on it so I can get it for 29 and some change out the door. So knowing the potential the Lexus has or seems to have what would you do? I change my mind every day it would be easier if we could drive the lexus today but we cant.Do I jump on the TL cause its at even a better price than the great pricing already established or do I wait for the potential 3 series killa. Which in my mind it very well can be, I'm not a big fan of BMW anymore, my last car was a 02 325ci. They drive great but thats where it stops my accord ex was more luxurious and reliable then the bimmer and their pricing is ridiculous. Infiniti, lexus and Acura are all more reliable and luxurious, and its safe to say the infiniti is real close to the driving experience, the Lexus should equal or out do it.. Acura well that whole fwd thing you know, but the next gen will be rwd or awd hopefully. So what should I do? and remember my opinions are simply that my opinion.
  • Options
    I'd wait to test-drive the IS. If you buy the TL now, and the IS is the next best thing since sliced bread, you'll regret your decision and won't enjoy the TL as much. If you opt to wait, decide to get the TL and have to pony up a few thousand more, consider that extra cost "insurance" to ensure you got the car you want.

PS - IMO, the TL nav system is so amazing, I couldn't imagin owning the car w/o it. If the demo available doesn't have it, I'd pass. I realize this is purely a matter of opinion, but I couldn't help throwing that in.
  • Options
    Yo thats actually some good [non-permissible content removed] advice, and no the TL doesn't have the navigation and I wish it did. You made alot of sense, I'll wait to test drive the Lexus.. That TL is hot though you got to check out the pics on ronjonwheels.com they have the new kit on a silver and a black 05 TL one word incredible..
  • Options
    I agree it's a beautiful car. I have an '04 6MT Green/Camel w/ summer tires and LOVE every minute in that car! :shades:

The tan is my favorite ext color int that car, followed by silver, but I really wanted the camel interior. The green is wild - looks like a green metallic in the light, but gray-metallic at night.
  • Options
    Operative word- WAIT.

I have the 03TLS and i am going to sell it next year and hopefully get into something nice, here is my list-
    RL- more horepower and torque
    M35
    GS 300/430
    BMW 530- wanted the 540 but too pricey when optioned out.
    TL-has to be totally revamped, fog lights, indicator on the mirror, rear sunshade, AWD, more horse power/torque.

I really hope they revamp the TL, I like my current dealer.
  • Options
    bmorelobmorelo Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the new IS will have a sunroof??? I know not performance related, but all the spy pics and even the cars displayed at the car shows did not have one. I am waiting for the IS to come out and I doubt the sunroof issue would stop me from getting it, but it would suck if it didn't have one!!
  • Options
    It will be an option or included in a 'premium package' which will require extra $$. Remember....few cars are sold 'fully loaded' like how Acura does it.
  • Options
    I almost purchased a RL this past weekend. They were selling them for 200 over invoice here at the local dealership. Out the door was 43,600. Came real close but when I took the wife to see it, she wasn't impressed by the exterior styling. Loved the driving and the interior but for 43K even though its a 49K car she wasn't willing to get it, so I'll wait for the IS350. I kind of felt the same way but for that price was willing to buy it, but I'm not that crazy about the exterior styling either, it just doesn't jump out at you saying "luxury car" maybe if the front end came to less of a point. But thats just 2 peoples opinion.I personally want it to look luxurious on the outside as well as inside. I actually think the TL is a little to pointed at the front as well but is a better looking car than its big brother. But from the vehicles your looking at, I like the M3. I love that car always have always will just can't get a coupe.
  • Options
    I am getting either the 350 or the TL, so I thought. Wifey is starting to talk about pricing and I told her IS350 should max out at about 41K (just an opinion). Now she's the nagger from hell. I can still get it cause it's my car (really, no really)lol I'll just have to listen to her mouth. but just for a topic to throw around if you had to choose between the TL and the IS250 what would it be? Your losing HPWR but still got the 350 styling and Lexus everything else. So what do you think?
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    If I want AWD, then I would go for the IS250 AWD. If not, then I would either ante up for the IS350, or save some $$ and go for the TL. Of course, if the TL offers AWD for 2006, then it becomes a no-brainer!
  • Options
    The TL, it's a no-brainer. The TL is just as loaded as any IS for thousands less, and unless you go 90mph in turns, the FWD thing is really no big deal. :P
  • Options
    diamondgdiamondg Member Posts: 2
    The nav systems on both models are voice activated. Is the nav system in the IS expected to be as good as that in the TL? I assume that the nav system on the 2006 IS will be the same as that in the current GS - is this correct?

PS: can you control the AC/Radio with voice commands on the IS?
  • Options
    ribasaurusribasaurus Member Posts: 3
    I can't wait to see pricing on the AWD 250. I am so so close to pulling the trigger on a TL, but the one thing holding me back is the IS. I loved the ride of the AWD G35, but there were enough things I didn't like (like the pop up Nav & exhaust noise) that I took it off my list.

But for me, all I want is a stylish AT & AWD sports sedan with all the new high tech features to replace my 98 GS300. If the '05 TL was AWD, I'd be driving one today. I think the TL would sell like crazy if they offered AWD, but that's a pretty major drivetrain change to go from FWD to AWD. Much easier to add it to a RWD model. Then again... they can leverage the RL, so who knows...

Can't wait to see the IS from behind the wheel! :D
  • Options
    The IS wasn't on my short list, but after reading these posts, I will check it out. ;)
  • Options
    Why don't you opt for the GS 300 AWD?

I am hopinging by next year Toyota will increase the displacement to 3.2 or 3.5 and bump the horsepower to around 280-290.

But I am going to put the GS 300 AWD on my short list.
  • Options
    I just didn't like the look of the GS. Too big for my likes, that's why I like the G35 coupe, love the look. If the IS pumps up it's power I will be very interested.
  • Options
    kdhubbkdhubb Member Posts: 2
    The TL is definitely not a no brainer. If you have ever owned both of them then you know they dont really compare to each other luxury wise. I have had a 2005 TL and a 2003 IS and the IS outclassed it techonology wise. The TL lacks the basic automatic wipers and lights. The interior in the Lexus is much more detailed and feels far less 'cheap'. The TL does have more power but as of the 2006 model IS it no longer even holds that mark. Go for the IS, holds its value better too.
  • Options
    I don't have first hand knowledge of a 2003 Lexus IS...but here is my understanding of the 2005s when I was making a purchase decision.

** My research shows that the TL holds its value better. 39% vs 32% after 60 months.

** Items which the TL has that is not available at all on the IS include wireless bluetooth technology, satellite radio, and illuminated vanity mirrors as examples.

** Items which need to be purchased as options on the IS to be similarily equipped include leather trimmed seats, power seats, memory seats, heated seats, moon roof, etc.

** All around more passenger and cargo volume. World class 8 speaker, 6 CD changer stereo system.

** Horsepower comparison... TL 270 versus IS 215

** MPG : TL 29 vs IS 24 highway. 20 vs 18 city.

Interior details....Have you actually sat in a 2005 TL? I think you need to actually have to sit in a TL to make that assessment.

So ok...the IS has auto wipers and head lamps. I'll gladly flip a switch when I figure out it is raining and when it is dark...just as I learned from driving my technologically challenged Porsche many years ago.
  • Options
    kdhubbkdhubb Member Posts: 2
    My wife actually owns the 2005 TL A-spec. The options of course are going to vary as standard features will on all cars. A fully loaded lexus(In my opinion) looks better. The navigation is easier to use in the TL. Damn you got me on the illuminated vanity mirrors, haha.
  • Options
    A 2003 IS outclass a 2005 TL technolgy wise?

You have some really good jokes.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    LOL! I was just thinking the same thing when I read his post. Automatic wipers and lights are nice, but I would hardly call that leading-edge technology!
  • Options
    The current IS300 does NOT have automatic wipers. Last I checked, the current IS300 is pretty lame on *features*. It doesn't even offer side curtain airbags for rear passengers!
  • Options
    I'm with you, I have the chance to get a TL right now which is the demo model for about 28k in the color I want black/camel. But I have to see the IS250 I really want the 350 but I'm in the military and just got sent to a place where winters a brutal, so rwd isn't the best option for when winter rolls around, so awd IS250 is what I'm looking at, but the TL keeps calling me especially with the discount price. Navigation doesn't work up here so the TL's great navi is not a selling point for me. Anyone know what a loaded(not to include nav) AWD IS250 should cost ball park? Even though financial wise its a no brainer, I just can't bring myself to jump on the Acura and this is the car I've wanted since it first came out but once I saw the new Lexus I was hooked
  • Options
    I don't think the current IS really competes well with the TL. The new model might.
  • Options
    I just got a look at the new IS 350 on Edmunds "inside the line" and I have to say that i am impressed.Not with the 250 but the 350, I am going to add it to my short list.Hopefully the test drive does not disappoint.
This discussion has been closed.