Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    highslaxhighslax Member Posts: 1
    I went to two dealers and no one has told me the Residual of the car for the sign and drive deal with no money down, 15 k miles and 36 months. I am going tonight and wanted to be sure I am not getting screwed. One dealer tells me the SE is $299 a month and the other dealer says it is $309 a month.

My brother-in-law suggests I found out what the price it will be sold to the leasing company.

Please help?
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Okay, My mother and I are both looking at leasing Jettas, I was told $320 a month,
    36mth, 12k. They said the $320 is with them making no money, and the original offer was $345 a month. Now the $320 a month is with $0 down at signing!

Was your SE model with $0 down and about $309? Because otherwise if your offer is with $0 down, then they are pulling one over on me with my $345-$320, and now I see $309. Please let me know. I am thinking of pulling the trigger

Thanks so much!

Also for $345 I am able to lease a Passat Komfort, which would you guys pick?
    Jetta Or Passat... I really like the Jetta's interior better, seats and dash, but the Passat is great as well, but a bigger car.... not sure what to do.
  • Options
    felixpfelixp Member Posts: 2
    What is the current money factor for the '08 Jetta S?
  • Options
    David EhrlichmanDavid Ehrlichman Member Posts: 47
    just got quoted 264.95 on this car.

1774.00 up front (taxes and fees)

They told me I could buy the car outright for 18,455.00

Sounds pretty cheap.

I have this in writing..did it on the internet.

What can I expect when I get to the dealer??

Thanks
  • Options
    vincef329vincef329 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. I've been watching and learning about VW leasing here for the last couple of months. In return, below are my new lease data right from the VW dealer where I leased an 08 Jetta SE Auto yesterday, I'm in NY and have good credit rating:

Terms:
    36month, 36,000 miles
    0 down, first payment waived by VW (sign and drive) ($86 due at signing)
    Money factor: .000114
    Cap cost: 21,046 (they called it "invoice")
    Acquisition fee: $545
    Residual value 58%
    End of lease buyout: 12,513.50
    End of lease Disposition fee: $350

Now according to everything I've read, the invoice is less than what they put up but the bottom line was they were not letting go of this VWub for one cent less, I tried for over an hour. No, I did not walk away because I believed what the salesperson was saying, they're sold out of em! When I first went to look a month ago, I saw rows and rows of Jetta's. 2 weeks ago I did a drive by and didn't see a one. The one I got was one of two that came off a truck the night before. Well, there you have it. I wish everyone good luck with their leasing. Many new Jetta's like diesel, and wagons, should be hitting the shores soon.
  • Options
    eericeeric Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Guy:

I went down to a Volkswagen dealership in L.A. yesterday.
    After approx. 4 hrs going back and forth we came to the following agreement/
    We would like to lease a Jetta S 2008 Automatic for:
    36 months
    12,000K miles per year
    The lease rate we are negotiating is $259 per month with zero down.
    Does the cap cost matter in this case? The reason I ask is that regardless of the cap cost we negotiated we could not bargain the dealer to anything lower than $259 per month. (I was bargaining the lease price with the salesman and not the cap cost price)
    They list the cap cost as $18, 500K.
    Is there an advantage to starting the negotiation again and bringing the cap cost price down? I'm not sure what that advantage would be as they would still be unwilling to go any lower on the monthly payment with 0 down.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    mrnadirmrnadir Member Posts: 28
    Thanks to car_man, I was able to get my Jetta around March 30. Here is what I paid for leasing the car:
    Down: $250 (covers license/registration/DMV)
    Monthly payment was $265 before taxes.
    First month was free (so I pay 35 payments instead of 36)
    36 month lease
    58% residual
    12000 miles/year
    Platinum Grey with light grey interior and no extra options
    Automatic
    got the car in very southern california
  • Options
    dredleafdredleaf Member Posts: 1
    I recently entered into a lease for a VW Jetta SE. The dealership omitted telling me about the VW rebate of the first month's lease payment and ultimately the deal fell apart. This was the last straw, not the first.

1. Your first payment wasn't "waived" VW offered a lease promotion that they would pay the first month of every lease entered into during April. Not sure what, if any, other months.

2. I put $2,000 down, with $967 going against the cap cost. The other $1,033 went against the basic "up front" costs (i.e doc fees, license,) and included the 1st month lease payment .

3. I had been driving the car over 2 weeks when they demanded I sign a new lease. The lease reflected the VW incentive, grossing up the down payment and the rest of the costs, in order to reach my agreed upon lease payment. VW financial would not finance the lease without the rebate being disclosed.

4. I'm sorry the salesman convinced you there are no more 08 Jettas to be found. Although I am in Arizona, not New York, all of the dealerships are overflowing with 2008 cars. In fact, some of them have 2007 cars that are brand new! The car manufacturers are currently flooding the dealerships with the 2009 models, and many dealers are having problems with physical space. If this is true in Arizona, it has to be in New York given the amount of land available.

5. I approached my lease with a definite amount of years I wanted to lease and a flat payment I was prepared to make monthly. The amount was $220 including the base and all taxes.

6. The deal went back and forth for about 4 days. Everytime they came at me with a number other than $220 I just said thank you for trying, but I cannot pay more than $220 and I'll just have to keep looking.

7. Whenever I said this and we hung up, someone (salesman, his manager,etc) would call me within the day and say "What can we do to get you in this car?" Must be line required of all VW personnel, because it never varied.

8. All in all, they offered about 4-5 ititerations. Everything from putting more down to taking a shorter lease term, thus increasing the residual value. The residual value is computed by taking the assigned cost and multiplying it by a % given to all dealerships by VW. In my case, the lease was for 4 years and the residual value was 52%. This is fixed by VW and not at the dealer's discretion.

9. At one point when the salesman was walking me to my car because we couldn't make a deal, the owner of the dealership approached me. He was very polite and asked the same "What can we do to get you into this car?" I said the only thing missing that I really wanted was the 6CD changer. He said, OK. No problem, that's my pleasure.

10. When the deal was finally nailed down financially I made it known that the only contingency was the 6 CD changer that the owner promised.

11. Turned out they couldn't put it into the S, which was the model I was leasing so the had to upgrade me to an SE. It had a moonroof along with the 6 CD changer.

12 They tried to raise my lease price and I said no. They told me that I was getting a better car, and I said that wasn't what I asked for. I only wanted the Owner to make good on his word.

Sorry if this is very long, but the upshot was that they gave me a lease, on the upgraded SE, for the same $220/month.

Please don't EVER let a car salesman talk you into anything. Edmunds has a very funny, but informative, piece about putting a man into car sales as a spy. Not quite the CIA, but if you read it you will understand. I laughed at some of the parts because I had just witnessed them and the sales people looked like they used his piece as a script.

When you go to lease a car, try to be reasonable and tell them what price you are prepared to pay. When they try to upsell you, don't hesitate to say "I'm sorry that we can't make a deal, but thank you"

For the next 3 days my husband laughed everytime the phone rang and said, "do you think it's the salesman or his manager?". It was almost always one of them.
    If you say you can't make a deal, they will twist themselves into pretzels to make it happen. Don't let them convince you to be the snack!
  • Options
    vwagainvwagain Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man,
    I'm in West Los Angeles and am considering a 36 month lease on an SE, 5-speed manual. I have two months left on my current, non-VW lease; my payments have been $320/month.

My VW dealer is offering me $320/month with $1k down, which would include them making the final two payments on my current lease. Is this a good deal..?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
  • Options
    ferreiror83ferreiror83 Member Posts: 10
    Was just quoted 320 out the door. Zero down
    36 Months 15/k
    2008 Jetta Wolfsburg loaded no navigation.
    MSRP was 20,801 I believe...But dealer price was 22,950
    Is this a good deal? Any help is appreciated...Thanks
  • Options
    bmw_lover_pabmw_lover_pa Member Posts: 21
    I don't understand how VW dealers set their own price. MSRP must be the same for all VW dealers like any other car manufacturer. Anyways... Everybody's saying dealer has no impact on money factor and residual... then everybody who is already purchased a VW with a good credit must have had the same MF and residual for the same trim and term.
    Let's say I want to lease Jetta SE for 36 months. What is VW Finance's current money factor and residual values for SE trim. Can anyone let us know from their lease agreement??
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi felixp. This car's lease program varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 VW Jetta S with 15,000 miles per year are .00111 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    I'm glad to see that everything worked out for you, mrnadir. Thanks for taking the time to stop in and share the details of your lease with everyone. Make sure to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with others as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Wow, sorry to hear about your rough purchase experience, dredleaf. If you want, you can tell even more people about the tough time that this dealership gave you by posting about them over in the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of this site. At least you got a great deal on a nice car.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi vwagain. While Volkswagen's lease program on the Jetta is pretty good right now, I personally don't see any reason to waste the final two monthly payments on your current lease to rush into a new one. The U.S. auto market is in rough shape, and I personally don't see it getting any better in the next couple of months. Chances are that you will be able to get a good deal on the new Jetta that you want in August as well.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi bmw_lover_pa. The selling prices of all vehicles are negotiable. MSRPs are nothing more than starting points for your negotiation. Consumers usually only have to pay full MSRP on vehicles that are in extremely high demand / short supply.

Dealers are not allowed to alter vehicles' residual values at all. They are not allowed to use a lower money factor than the one that is available through their manufacturers' captive finance company. However, some manufacturers allow consumers to mark-up vehicles' money factors to add additional, hidden back-end profit to deals. This is why everyone who visits these forums is so interested in finding out what vehicles' buy rate money factors are.

Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Jetta SE with 15,000 miles per year are .00081 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Go for it! I was offered nearly $360, so go for it. It is truly an amazing car, and it will simply roll, it you got the model with the 2.0t engine! I love it! My mom got an SE jetta and it is so much fun, and that thing is fast too! I would have loved to get the Wolfsburg, but I chose a different model! Fun!!
  • Options
    beancounter12beancounter12 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I'm trying to find VW Credit's current residual % and MF for a 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg, automatic, for both a 36mo and 48mo term at 15k miles per year.
    Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Hi beancounter12. Here's the info that you're looking for. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg with 15,000 miles per year are .00142 and 59%, respectively. the numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are .00177 and 52%.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    flim_flaminiflim_flamini Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car_Man,
    I just noticed that some dealers around here have the new sportwagen in stock.
    Can you provide some info on MF and Residual for 12k 36 months on a 2.5 (TDI's won't be shipped until September apparently)?

Thanks,
    flim_flamini
  • Options
    gpsacgpsac Member Posts: 98
    Does anyone have the current MF and Res % for 15k miles on Jetta?

Thanks
  • Options
    beancounter12beancounter12 Member Posts: 2
    Perfect. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    jwfejwfe Member Posts: 2
    Thinking about leasing a 2008 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta. Assuming MSRP (I will try to negotiate lower) what should be lease payment be (including taxes and fees) if I get $6,000 for my trade-in and am not putting any additional money down. I just want to get a picture of what the ceiling is.

Btw, have people had good expericences with the 2008 Wolfburgs?
  • Options
    italian_stalliitalian_stalli Member Posts: 6
    is the following a good leasing deal:

2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
    36 months
    10,000 miles/year
    $3000 down
    $223/month

thanks for your help!
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    that seems way too high-- too much down payment, not enough miles.
  • Options
    If you get the Wolfsburg, you'll absolutely love the 2.0T engine in it!!! It is a truly like a little race car, it simply moves, especially when using the DSG manual shiftronic! I took this car out on the interstate and I loved the power it had, and the control with the shifting. Nice, since I don't know how to manual, which I want to learn.

It offers a great package, plus adding a sporty engine, size, it makes for a very fun ride. My mother has a regular 08 Jetta SE, and its a fun car as well, but having the 2.0T just makes it even more spectacular. Good Luck with finding one though, they are limited, but worth the look. You should be able to get it to a price of an SE Jetta if you try, its not much more anyway.

Now, with overall experiences as far as the mechanical side of it, and how it holds up, I am not sure,but this is my mothers 2nd Jetta lease, no problems thus far.

I am thinking you get can a payment of around $340, give or take, with $0 down!
    So, either way I think you in good shape. Go for it!
  • Options
    xzjn9pxzjn9p Member Posts: 9
    can anyone tell me the residual and money factor on a 12k/36mon jetta wolfsburg for july? thanks
  • Options
    is the following a good deal?

10K/36 Months
    $249/Month
    $2500 Down
    Residual Value: 62%
    Money Factor: .0014

thanks!!!
  • Options
    12K/36 Month Jetta Wolf

RV= 61%
    Money Factor= .00142
  • Options
    Cheers!
  • Options
    leonardedwardsleonardedwards Member Posts: 5
    No A terrible deal..I have 2007 12K/36Months
    $230/Month
    0 Down
  • Options
    Here you go, flim_flamini. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Jetta Sportwagon with 12,000 miles per year are .00271 and 52%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi gpsac. You never mentioned what trim level Jetta you are interested in, so for now I will assume that you want a Jetta 2.5 S. Let me know if you want something different. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 S with 15,000 miles per year are .00111 and 64%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    No problem beancounter12. I'm always glad to help.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Here's the info that you're looking for, xzjn9p. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg with 12,000 miles per year are .00142 and 61%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    same jetta? wolf edition w 17", spoiler, sunroof, etc?

what area do you live in?

and input car man?

thanks everyone!
  • Options
    I have no idea what jetta he has but its not an 08 wolf. The 2007 wolf was completely different (no 2.0T) and more likely its an S or SE. I'm in the market for for 08 WE dsg. If you can get 12k/36 w/ 0 down for under about $310 /month you're doing really well. At least where I live w/ 5% taxes. Just run the numbers on the Edmunds lease calculator. Put in your MF, calc residual off MSRP, put sales price around invoice and voila.
  • Options
    ayelen4ayelen4 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I'm new here! I just went to a VW Dealership here in Rochester, NY, to see what kind of lease I could get on a 2008 Jetta SE. This was the best offer I got: 36 mo. lease, 10k miles/yr, $3000 down, and monthly payments of $209. I am unaware if this is a good deal or not. I am not concerned with the mileage because I do not drive often, but I only wanted monthly payments under $200, and the salesman said this was the best he could do. Do you think it was possible to get lower monthly payments with $3000 down? Thanks so much for the help!
  • Options
    Is this a good lease deal?

2008 Jetta SE Manual
    10k/36 months
    $3000 down
    $209 monthly payments
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    no no no-- way too much money down-- this is leasing 101-- never put that much down on a lease..
  • Options
    garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Seattle. Never leased before. MSRP $21,750. Being offered a 2008 Jetta SE automatic lease for $227/month for 36 months with no down-payment and 1st month’s payment and DMV fees out of pocket ($437.95). The residual for the 3yr lease is factored is $12,513.50. Miles don't matter for me.

Is this good or can I do better?
  • Options
    amoseamose Member Posts: 1
    hello
    what is the current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition with 15,000 miles per year.. also will credit rating affect these rates

thanks in advance

amose
  • Options
    hrosshross Member Posts: 1
    I live in Michigan and just picked up a wolfsburg 7/10/08 (Absolutely love it) I had to give the dealer 403.00 out of pocket needed 6 mos plate and for a 3/36 12000 per year my payment w/6% tax here is 319.00.I used to sell cars and know that you should never put much $$ down because in the case you happen to total the car out you just lost your $$ you put down.Here in Mi,they were advertising the Wolfs w/ 2000.00 out of pocket for 229.00 plus tax.
  • Options
    jaymesjaymes Member Posts: 2
    In today's market, what would one consider a great 24-month lease for a Jetta SE with 12K miles per year? No trade-in; no down payment. Cleveland, OH area. Thanks.
  • Options
    simmons4102simmons4102 Member Posts: 10
    what is the current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Jetta S 5spd with 18,000 miles per year.. also will credit rating affect these rates

Does VCI offer a lease with more than 15k miles?
  • Options
    nickooochnickoooch Member Posts: 6
    Ive noticed some ADs for 199/mth 3k down on the manual jetta.. Im not sure what the price diff is from man to auto.. but i would like to know an aprox payment with only 500 out of pocket..
  • Options
    garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Follow-up from my Post #552. Leased a Jetta SE Automatic for $202/month for 36 months with a $12,600 residual value. This includes $3K on a trade I wanted to get rid of.
  • Options
    garyw, how many miles a year are you getting? Im just curious, because I am putting $3000 down, with payments of $204 a month, and only 10,000 miles. I just wanted to compare. Thanks.
  • Options
    kneedsacarkneedsacar Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if this is a good deal or not. I am in the PA area.

2008 Jetta S w/ Cold Weather package

$0 down
    $273 a month
    10,000 miles p/ year
    36 months

MSRP: $ 19,100

Residual: $11,100

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

~K
  • Options
    jessy1jessy1 Member Posts: 13
    My lease is almost up for my 06 Jetta. I have leather ( real not leatherette), NAV, heated front seats, and satellite radio. I love my car and wish my lease was longer but thats the finance quote they gave me is way too expensive for a VW:).
    I am toying with getting a new jetta with all the same stuff. Considering the economy etc..what is a good lease price? I am so overwhelmed. I currently pay $252.00 and put $3,000 down. I would love to put nothing down but I can't imagine I can get an ok monthly payment with all the bells and whistles with nada down.
    Thank you for your help!
This discussion has been closed.