Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It's the luck of the draw, more than which model year.

Not entirely true. The stereo's going out in Accords were a common problem in 2003-2004 models, but by 2006, it was unheard of.

I play to both sides of this argument though. I had a faulty rear-view mirror (interior, the glass wasn't glued to the mirror housing so it vibrated severely), and this from a 2006 Accord.

I do think that earlier models have more "bugs" to be worked out than later models, though. The stereo/LCD display is a prime example of this. Statistically, reports such as CR show this to be true.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    If you were in the market for a new car at the end of this year, would you buy something other than the 08 Accord, based on "first year bugs"?
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    No,he would prudently wait one or a few model years. Yes, I'm a mind reader.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Yes, I'm a mind reader.

Wow, do you have ESP too? You could tell us all about the dreaded bugs. ;)
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You can also buy a 2008 and at least wait 6 months for any really glaring issues to be discovered and resolved or be aware of them decide if you can just live with them (lug bug type issues etc.). Why be in a huge rush to buy it in the first few weeks?
  • Options
    Well, if we knew what they were,we would fix them now. :)
  • Options
    That's impressive!

I'd likely wait, as you said, especially with the high number of issues my dad's 2003 had (rattles requiring the headliner be pulled out, LCD display intermittently went out, etc...) versus his 2005 model (basically flawless).

I know all new cars can have issues (like my loose interior rear-view mirror), but it seems the majority of 1st year models have more issues than those of a later vintage of the same vehicle.

By the way, blufz, can you tell me if my flight will be on time this Tuesday? I know you already know my flight number so if you could fill me in, that'd be great! :)
  • Options
    LOL. Sure,man. Relax and have a good holiday. :)
  • Options
    :) Sweet!

Back at ya buddy.
  • Options
    poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    My wife can't wait for the bugs she has gone out and bought a 1995 Jaguar XJS convertible with 75,000kms. Oh well, at least by the time I have paid of the Jag, Honda should have the bugs out, and they maybe cheaper to boot. Boot, Boot. I'm starting to talk like a bloody Brit. :shades:
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I think the new accord needs to have HID headlights. I saw them on the coupe, but not on the sedan. I am not sure I like the black on this new sedan, but it may be because of the tape, and its dirty. Also I think both the 4cyl and 6cyl should have the same size rims, different rims, but same size. I really like the current 06-07 V6 rims, Very classy. The rims on the 08 coupe look great, and the white looks amazing. The coupe really looks awesome, and hopefully they'll put that into the sedan when its all set and done. Of course tamed down a bit, but have that aggressive stance. It really does look similar to a bmw. especially the rear end. Also, Honda I believe at some point used to use Bose as the premium stereo system, I would love for them to ask Bose to use their system in the cars. Honda+Bose=Beautiful! Also hopefully they will have a new line up of colors and interior trims to choose from. Variety of cloth, and leather to pick from. Man, I am so excited about the new Accord, I am so a honda buff.
  • Options
    dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    You're so right about the sound system. The competition is way ahead of Honda on this, they need to step up (ie = 440 watt, mp3 JBL option on Camry). Only one sound system offering doesn't get it.
  • Options
    It does not "need" to have HIDs especially if they are very expensive and a massive theft target.
    It is not a safety issue since normal headlights can be plenty bright if designed properly. In fact, they are the opposite of a safety feature when they glare into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

The pictures are just preproduction cars. The rims on the real production models shipped to dealers may not even be the same as what you saw.
  • Options
    Yes, I know, the car does not need to have HID's, I was stating it would be nice if it did have them. Camry has some type of light like that, but it does not blind you as you pass it. Some cars headlights are so blinding. It just looks better on the headlight, the way the lens is set up.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    It does not "need" to have HIDs especially if they are very expensive and a massive theft target.

Where are you getting this "massive theft target" business from? Maybe when they were first offered, but now that they're common, you don't see these being boosted much. It's also been shown the "glare" from the Xenons is a fraction of what a standard highbeam is. You'll see more and more of these on Hondas going forward because people like them.

I'd think these huge, wagon-wheel look rims would be a bigger target (pun) than a headlamp. Easier to fence too.
  • Options
    The Camry does not have HIDs.
    The Maxima has HIDs and they have high insurance rates largely because of headlight theft.
  • Options
    well camry's dont have a normal lens. It may not be HID, but it looks very nice, and many cars have them, Even the 08 coupe has them. I just like the look more than the actual light itself.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    The Camry does not have HIDs.
    The Maxima has HIDs and they have high insurance rates largely because of headlight theft

My TL has HIDs. My insurance premium is not high.

You need to abandon this HID = High theft/high insurance rate line of thought. HID's impact on insurance cost is minimal. The type of car they're in and the driver's track record are what matter.
  • Options
    You are referring to a "projector beam headlight" design, like on this late-model Sonata.

You don't see the bulb, just a cylindrical housing with a lens that resembles a camera-lens.
  • Options
    When HID are optional like Maximas from a few years ago, they are stolen often so people with the lower trim levels can buy them on eBay or in back alleys and unscrupulous parts dealers.
    The HIDs are on all the TL's, so there is less of a black market.

If they made HIDs standard on, for instance, a top of the line EXV6, the people with LX's and and VPs would want to install them on their cars too. There is also a market for cheap replacements due to accident damage.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-10-18-theft-rates_x.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/nissan_max_lt.html

http://www.complaints.com/directory/2004/september/1/39.htm

This is exactly the type of thing that would happen if HIDs were on certain model Accords.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I remember a few years ago some TL owners were complaining that they had their Xenon headlights stolen and then some people were buying those headlights and putting them on Accords, because they somehow fit.

I drive an I35, and while Xenons are standard, I do think that the headlamp design is compatible with the Maxima, so I guess they are a theft target.

My insurance premiums aren't so bad though...
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    there are so many options for my rabbit as far as hid's go, but the stealing of them off of gti's is unheard of....i think that this is all a bit exagerative. I would like the camera lens look like grad posted, but if not, its no deal breaker.
  • Options
    Well either way, if they have a lens on the 08, itll look even better, even if it is a little detail.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I hope that if the accord gets HIDs, its like the ones from the TSX. They are bright, have great side and forward vision AND they have a cutoff line that stops glares into MOST oncoming cars! Does the TL have this unique feature?

Also I'm hoping for Signal mirrors, trunk mounted LED brake strip(Like 06/07accord), and a diesel with 40MPG!

-Cj -I heart the TSX as of recently
  • Options
    I have had several dealers that are willing to take my deposit for the 08 accord, but I told them in email, that I wanted to deal with all the figures first for the lease. I know that they don't have the numbers for leases and trim levels. I am wondering if I could deal just like the other guy on this forum. He has it in writing that he will pay no more than $500 over. I would like to do that too here close to where I live, or get a take advantage of a non commission dealership in georgia, which I will more than likely do, because they do business differently, and truly wont mark the price up the car like crazy, it might be worth the drive. Anyone else that wants that dealership that me know, seriously they are awesome.
  • Options
    Why do you need a deposit? Do you think there are not going to be enough 2008 Accords produced for you get buy one otherwise?
  • Options
    No, you don't need one, its really just a way to get a dealership to get the customer. Of course there will be plenty of accords to go around. It did help one guy though, $500 over price when his 08 arrives.
  • Options
    Still makes no sense. If they will sell it for $500 over invoice, they will do it with or without a deposit.
    Why make any commitment now or even give them $500 to "hold" when they are not special ordering anything unique or custom?
    He might not even like the specific vehicle when it comes out.
  • Options
    Ya, your right, I am not sure I even like the sedan of the 08, I really like the coupe though, but its a 2 door. Really if they made the sedan look like that, would it really hurt anything, it doesn't look that over done for a honda sedan. People would like that. All the sedan cars are looking bland these days. I really don't even think the camry looks all that good, its nice, but nothing screaming out at me, hey come drive me. Giving them money would make no sense, I mean, ive thought about it, but really they'll get ya either way I guess. I might like the coupe alot, since my first car was a coupe, and that car was soo much fun, that I might get it, due to the fun factor of it. The white spy shots of the coupe is very nice. I would get black or red with tan leather interior.
  • Options
    I would want to sit in, touch and drive one of the cars first to see if I liked the way it drove (seat comfort, visibility, quality of materials, sound system, a/c cooling power etc.) before deciding to buy one. You can't tell these things just from looking at photos and reading specs and reviews.
    At this point, there are not even any official specs and photos and some people are already giving dealers deposits?

Then I would need to drive the specific vehicle to make sure that unit had no unique problems, alignment drifting, squeaks and rattles,transport damage with repainting and so on. You can't know those things until you see the exact car you are buying.
    I expect them to be popular cars when they debut since there is a pent up demand of people delaying their car purchases until they can see the new Accord, but they will build so many that there will be no shortage once the factories are running at even close to full speed.
    It is not like they will limit production so it can be a unique niche vehicle that is "hard to get" (Solstice, etc.).
    They might limit production if there is some quality control issue or recall they need to get taken care of, but you would be better off waiting for it to be sorted out in that case anyway,
  • Options
    14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I would definitely need to see this car in the flesh before committing to buying one because the spy shots have left me unimpressed. I hope to get a new car sometime in the first half of 2008 so I am curious about this car to some degree, but the styling looks very bland. I'm sure it will be nice mechanically, but so are a bunch of other cars in this segment.
  • Options
    Consider waiting till fall 2008. You can them consider a 45 mpg diesel Accord. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    This has been known for a while so I dont know why they wrote an article about the "official" announcement. The Accord hybrid was too expensive and offered too small of a fuel economy gain over the four cylinder model. The Camry hybrid seems to be doing much better.
  • Options
    I've heard rumors of the diesel but I'm not interested. Plus, my understanding is that we wont see it until 2009. With gas prices being so high I may go for a four cylinder in my next ride even though that is against everything I stand for. I'm interested to see how this Accord will stack up vs Malibu and Altima. Based on looks, its in 3rd place in my book.
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    I think the main impact of the story is not the dropping of the Accord hybrid, as you say that's been an open secret. It's the push on diesel being their alternative fuel platform for larger models.

Just out of interest, what is it about a diesel Accord that you would not be interested in?
  • Options
    Economy and 280 ft. pounds of low end torque.
  • Options
    dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    Just a thought: If they offer a diesel with decent power I'd think it would garner quite a bit of interest. If they come out with something like the I-Mark from the 80's, then it won't.
    I don't expect that to happen, but I also doubt Honda will build it a turbo either, so we'll just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    With gas prices being so high I may go for a four cylinder in my next ride even though that is against everything I stand for.

4-cylinder models of Accords now make as much horsepower as the V6 Accord of a decade ago. They are smooth, powerful, and more efficient. I can see "wanting" a V6, but not "needing" one anymore.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    Even better if Honda offered to sell new cars with no sound system whatsoever (for a good discount on price) and let the customer install whatever fantastic sounds system they wanted to in an easily filled space/shape. The "premium" sound systems offered by Car makers are fairly mediocre and overpriced, except for maybe the Acura TL.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Suppose you were impressed by the styling you could see from the spy shots? Would you then commit to buying it based only on looks?
  • Options
    People want to keep putting theft magnets in their cars.
    The aftermarket stereo will be stolen along with HID lights that fit also lower-end models, portable GPS nav left stuck on the windshield and the purse you leave sitting on the passenger seat.
  • Options
    "Suppose you were impressed by the styling you could see from the spy shots? Would you then commit to buying it based only on looks? "

No but I would be more interested in the car if I felt it looked better than the competition. There are quite a few stylish family cars on the market and more are on the way with the Malibu and presumably the 2008 Mazda 6. Based on the pics I've seen Honda went typically conservative once again even though its becoming obvious that basic family sedans do not have to be dull.
  • Options
    "Just out of interest, what is it about a diesel Accord that you would not be interested in? "

Cost for one, diesels are usually far more expensive than their gas counterparts. That takes away from the value proposition. Plus, HOnda hasnt formally announced a diesel Accord as far as I know.
  • Options
    CArs of a decade ago were lighter so 170hp today wont get you as far as it would in a ten year old accord. NO one NEEDS a V6, but I would surely like the acceleration associated with a 250hp+ V6. If the Accord 4 is as fast as the Altima 4 then it will be acceptable, if not exciting.
  • Options
    With the dropping of the Accord Hybrid, Honda officially went to diesel as the answer to greater fuel efficiency.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/04/honda-accord-says-no-to-hybrid-yes-to-diesel/

The cost premium really depends on the mileage you think you would put on during ownership.

If you assume a $1000 premium (which I think is at the expensive end of possible) but you get a 30% improvement in mileage (let's say 30mpg ((i4 average)) to 40mpg) and we assume $3 gas- just to get a round number.

The pay-back would take 3.5 years if you drive 12,000 miles. 2.9 years if you drive 15,000 miles. 2 years if you drive 20,000 miles. So you can see it really depends on your driving needs, if you don't put on a lot of miles and you change cars every three years, it doesn't make a lot of sense but if you put on a lot of miles the diesel makes sense pretty quickly.

Finally if the premium is less than $1000, obviously the payback comes back faster.

There are some factors that are harder to quantify. Diesels do require more expensive oil changes but they require fewer of them. Diesels have a reputation for being longer lived engines but you can't make any assumptions on a relatively new engine so I'm not factoring that in.
    Finally diesels allow you to burn some level of bio-diesel which is better for the environment and better for our trade imbalance.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Diesels do not always cost much more, some Mercedes models used to actually be cheaper as diesels - 240D

BTW 1996 Accord V-6 automatic 3,219 lbs. 2007 Accord SE 4-cyl automatic 3,192 lbs. 170 hp today will actually get you ever so slightly further - especially if you get the stick shift which is lighter still, has an extra gear, and shorter gearing. In fact a current stick 4-cyl would probably walk away from a 1996 V-6.

Don't forget when calculating the payback for a diesel that much of the money is returned when the vehicle is sold. In Fact VW diesels retain more value than the gassers.
  • Options
    Most likely they will be very low volume with low availability for the first year and maybe longer. This means the street price will be more than a $1000 higher even if the MSRP is $1000 higher.
  • Options
    Hard to say.

In the UK the diesel is around $1400 more than the i4 but is only $80 more than the v6.

Comparing the v6 to the diesel, the mileage pay-back is even faster- both from the sticker price and the mpg advantage.

I do agree with you that first year availability is likely to be low but I don't believe that manufacturing limit will drive up msrp.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,731
    Another example in the US would be the Jetta TDI, which, when available, was $1500 more. I'd be very surprised if the Honda diesel was less than that, for the comparable gas engine (4vs4, 6vs6). Of course, the price difference between a 4cyl diesel and a v6 gas could be less, but I'd expect a substantial performance differenc. Time and testing will tell...
This discussion has been closed.