Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    honda00honda00 Member Posts: 29
    I'm in the market for a new car this year and I'm trying to decide between getting a great deal on a 2007 Accord or waiting and buying the new 2008 version.

I've read people are currently able to get the 07 Accord for around $1000 under invoice.

How close to invoice will one be able to get on a 2008 Accord in November or December? At that point, the car will have been out for a few months. Will we have to pay close to sticker? $1000 over invoice? A few hunder over invoice?

Does anyone have any experience buying a remodeled Accord just after release?
  • Options
    benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    My guess would be that once the 2007's are gone, the discounts will be gone as well.

The redesigned Accord will be mostly selling at around MSRP for a while, just like the new Camry and Altima, then after demand settles you'll start to see some discounting here and there, but not to below invoice.

I do not think we'll see under invoice pricing on Accords again until the end of the next generation, in 2012 or so.

I jumped in a 2007, for below invoice :)
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    It won't take that long to see invoice pricing on the new Accord. Unless Honda hits a huge home run and demand is there to keep prices up I foresee close to invoice pricing by MY09. The overall sales trend has been down with the Accord and with all the competition the only way Honda can keep up sales is to discount.
  • Options
    rubblerubble Member Posts: 12
    Thinking of leasing my first car--naturally, an Accord. My current 1994 Accord coupe has almost 240,000 and runs well, but I'm just ready for a new one at this point.

I may take advantage of a lease special this month and trade up to the new Accord in 2009--after any bugs with this Fall's 2008 new model are worked out.

Anybody had any bad lease experiences?
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Do any of you guys have some good pics of the new 08' Accord ?

Thanx,

Rocky
  • Options
    dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    The Honda site has a mock-up an '08 coupe. As far as I know, there aren't any pics of the sedan as yet.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Its no longer a mockup, but a concept and 90-95% production ready. Only coupe of course.
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Okay, thanx

Rocky
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    On November 30th, or December 30th, go into the dealership, pick out a car out of their stock and offer them $500 over invoice. Tell them take it or leave it.

As long as they have about 20 or so in stock, they will gladly take your offer.

Now if you are trying to get a good price for your trade-in, that will botch the deal. Keep it simple.
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    I don't know about price being that low. The one dealer which would quote me a price for car and trade-in would accept the Intellichoice retail price on the Honda, but tried to screw me on the PT Cruiser, offering less than half the trade-in value in Kelly Blue Book Good Condition and mine is in Excellent minus some tire and brake wear. Guess it is selling it myself, or driving it for seven years to get my monies worth. I may just go to my plan B which was to get another car for sport, like a used Mustang and forget about getting the Accord V6. Do like the handling on the Accord, and another car I tested the Aura XR, but I am not about to take a $10K loss on an econo car owned only 21 months. Let them steal someone else's car. They figured on making around $5K on my used PT with only 23,400 miles on it. That would make the Honda a very expensive buy, no doubt. -Loren
  • Options
    I guess resale was not high on the priority list when you bought the PT. It's gonna suck no matter where you go - resale sucks on most domestics. As the poster above said, don't mix up a new deal with a trade - sell it yourself or go to a place like CarMax.

The $500 above invoice might be possible (I doubt it in Nov), but you have to remember that on an LX, invoice to sticker is less than $2K. It's not as if you're getting that much off sticker with that.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Best economics is to keep it the 7 years you suggested. Sorry,but the toothpaste is otta the tube.
  • Options
    At the time of purchase, the PT had an average resale value. If they are figuring a value on my trade-in at under half of Kelly Blue Book, all I can say is that I would be more than happy to buy an Accord for half price as well.

I am going to get a quote from a local used car lot to what they would offer to purchase. They also sell cars on consignment. Will also try another dealership on trade-in value. And yes, keeping the car is an option. I have the 7/70K warranty, as 2005 was the last year of the long warranty. I don't really need two cars, though having the great hauling capability, coupled with it being a pretty good go-around-town car, it is not a bad second car choice.-Loren
  • Options
    If you just want to go fast, motorcycles are cheaper.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Why not just go ahead and buy the Accord while keeping the PT Cruiser on hand as a second car?

You could always look into selling your car to CarMax- if your car is in excellent condition they may be able to put it back on their lot and sell it, so they might offer more than they'd offer for the typical PT Cruiser.
  • Options
    Second car? That's bad economics. You have a 7 year warranty so be a man an just drive it. It's a long life and you will get a better price and car later in the model run.
  • Options
    Had one when I was a kid. Honda motorcycle, as a matter of fact. Yeap, it was fun, but dangerous in the 60's and 70's. Considering todays' traffic, down right suicide. No thanks, on the motorcycle idea -- too old and aching back anyway. And I need not go too fast, just would like to able to move out a little faster. One of those degree of things. :shades:

I did own to cars a couple years ago. The Miata was my country roads - touring car. Ah, but I am wanting larger car, more HP, comfort, yet fun to drive. That is why I am thinking Accord V6, or an Aura which is actually pretty good handling as well, for a practical car for everyday driving, yet fun to drive.

Plan "C" is to save the money I was to spend now, drive the car I have for some more years, take the money I was going to use, plus interest / investment gains, and buy something even nicer, say a Cadillac CTS. Oh no, another pit for money due to less retained value. :surprise:

Will get a couple more quotes on trade-in value, and explore selling the car before moving on the plan "B" owning two cars.

For the 2008 model year, isn't it the sedan only, followed by the 2009 model year for the coupe? Hope they keep the emergency brake as a hand actuated device, and not the foot pedal type. And please no CVT transmission.
    -Loren
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    For the 2008 model year, isn't it the sedan only, followed by the 2009 model year for the coupe?

The fact that they have already showed us a coupe concept looks to me like a coupe should be out for 08, at the same time as the sedan. Honda has never delayed the differentiated coupe (1998-current) from coming to market at a later date than the sedan. I don't think they would start now.

I'm not the know-all end-all, just giving my $.02.

By the way, I'm a two-car owner; 2006 Accord and 1996 Accord. Thought about selling the 1996, but it isn't worth a lot (it DOES have 171k miles, after all) so I drive it in my rush hour commute, keeping some miles off of my new one. I also drive the old car in bad weather, leaving the new one garaged. It's neat having an older "beater" car (although it's not in bad shape for 11 years old) that you can drive and not worry about too much.
  • Options
    At the time of purchase, the PT had an average resale value.

The problem is that you believed that and you're trying to trade in at a dealer that doesn't want your car. I doubt anyone will give you KBB numbers for it.

At a minimum you should wait till well into MY09 before considering an Accord - you have a good car on which you'll take a huge loss and an 08 Accord will be close to sticker for a while and it might have "issues".
  • Options
    Plan C sounds good, and you could modify it to where you could spend the money on a Certified-Pre-Owned CTS, instead of a new one, and therefore saving a few bucks in depreciation (or quite a few bucks in the case of the CTS)
  • Options
    Well I will be asking a couple more dealerships. And no, not looking to buy an '08 but rather the '07 Accord SE V6. Also looking at Saturn Aura, which seems like a good auto from GM -- finally. I must say, at times I am tempted to buy a used CTS. Of the different cars I have test drove, those three stand out as good all around cars.
    -Loren
  • Options
    You know this is a thread for the 08 Accord, right?
  • Options
    Yes, and I am leaving for the other room now. Before I go, an update. I am getting the SE V6 and got darn near the top price I wanted on the trade-in. I am pleased.

As for 2008 Accord, I am sure it will be something special. Enjoy your '08 when it becomes available. Have never seen a pic of the sedan, but the coupe looked interesting. Some may prefer the more aggressive lines on the front of the new coupe vs. the smooth flow lines on the current. Just a personal preference no doubt.
    -Loren
  • Options
    chesterjchesterj Member Posts: 4
    I hope Honda improves driver visibility from the current model. The large a-pillars greatly reduce visibility. I'm sure the size of the a-pillars is for strength and crash protection but hopefully it can be improved. It was one of the main reasons that I did not buy the current Accord.

I ended up buying a Mazda3 even though it is smaller than I wanted but it has great visibility.
  • Options
    I noticed that too. The A pillar is thick. It is thick on my PT which I am trading in on the Accord. Test drove the Aura several times - same thing, with the thick A pillar. Seems now to be the norm. Guess the super strength steel to make a thin pillar is cost prohibitive. Oh well, I guess I check twice and move the head around while turning corners. Yes indeed, I too fear that I am not seeing the whole picture up front. Smaller kids and such may be hidden by the A pillar, so I am now more careful to double check, moving head around a bit as I look.

The 2008 model I bet will not have a skinnier A pillar. Although it has got the attention of some test drivers in car magazines. Could happen that they thin them down. Strong roofs though are a priority. The 2008 sedan seems to be quite the secret with no photos or showings of this new car.
    Are the A pillars any thinner on the New Civic - that may be the clue for future '08 Accord sedans.
    -Loren
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Isn't the thick a-pillar due to the side air-bags?

Congratulations on the '07. I have an '06 that I love.

My question is whether Honda will bring in the '08 with the v6 m6 option from the initial release?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Yes, as bristol2 pointed out, the "A" pillar houses the side curtain air bags. A thinner pillar would not permit implementation of this life-saving technology. Of course the strength of all of the pillars is a major determinent in rollover protection.

If the very wide "C" pillars in the concept version of the 2008 Accord coupe remain in the production version, rear visability may be compromised.
  • Options

Someone with extra time on their hands made up this PS of the 08 sedan.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I'll be pleasantly surprised if the sedan looks that good (assuming they don't mess up the rear either).
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Too Ugly!
  • Options
    looks like its too small. It sort of reminds me of the 2008 Lancer...
  • Options
    gpkgpk Member Posts: 38
    Since I haven't heard about a new transmission being offered, I wish along with more hp Honda would focus on better gas mileage. Since we all know that gas prices are going to continue to rise. A diesel option as well as a I-4 hybrid. I still think that a 6 sp AT would help.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    As I suspected - too much slope to the rear window and therefore no headroom. Wish they made a wagon to increase cargo capacity and rear headroom.
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    It is just a photo-shop picture.

Perhaps we should reserve judgement until Honda shows a picture?
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It is just a photo-shop picture.

Perhaps we should reserve judgement until Honda shows a picture?

Indeed :)
  • Options
    We'll be able to see detailed photos, trim levels, and pricing on the day Honda officially unveils it, and not a day before.
  • Options
    honda00honda00 Member Posts: 29
    When do you think Honda will unveil it?

Let's assume the 2008 Accords arrive at the dealers in early September. Would Honda start releasing photos and such on their website months in advance in order to build up the buzz?

I talked to a Honda salesman a week ago and said he wasn't told a thing about when the new Accord will be released. Remember Toyota started unveiling the new Camry in March of 2006, however it was common knowledge at the time that the Camry was coming out early. I haven't heard anything about an early Accord release.
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    In Canada the Accord will comer out in the fall, and not any earlier.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    Unless something is announced by the end of the car show circuit (NY - April) I have a feeling nothing will be known (other than spy shots) till just before the release - prob Sept.

I think Honda has figured out that its target demographic are fairly sophisticated folks that actually do some research before buying - they don't to give all those folks a reason to hold off on purchasing this MY cars.
  • Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I was following this thread five years ago about this time of year, looking for information on the next generation 2003 Accord. There were lots of similar comments at the time about how Honda plays their new car intros very close to the vest, compared with some other companies.

As I recall, the first actual photos of the 2003 Accord appeared on this thread when some enterprising enthusiast took some highway photos of the cars being driven by auto magazine reviewers during a press event in California, and then posted them here. That was probably in the summer sometime. Some of you may remember this better than I.

So, if Honda's history is a guide, it looks like it's going to be a few months before anything starts to trickle out.

I've got an '04 Accord 4-cylinder and am looking to trade it for an '08 V-6. Can't wait to see what they come up with. I think they're losing out right now to the new Camry in terms of exterior styling, but the styling lines of the '08 Accord coupe shown at recent auto shows are encouraging.
  • Options
    rubblerubble Member Posts: 12
    Honda is scheduled to unveil something secretive according to the Inside Line web site (take a look at link here). Any chance it could be what we all hope for??

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=119609
  • Options
    that if Honda is planning a September launch for the new Accord, we can expect pictures and detailed specifications in September, or perhaps August 31st if we are lucky.

I have a gut feeling their top secret unveil in Geneva is a European Honda Accord concept...
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    If you are correct, it would probably also be the basis of the next generation Acura TSX, since the current TSX is basically the European and Japanese domestic market Honda Accord.
  • Options
    Honda already said the concept being unveiled at Geneva - is a hybrid sports car - nothing to do with Euro Accord/TSX.
  • Options
    bodybuiltbrockbodybuiltbrock Member Posts: 13
    I know this isn't a real picture, but I like the aggressive muscular look of this photoshop Accord. The rear seat would have no headroom, but it would be the most stylish Accord in a long time.

BB Brock
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    said that we should see the new Accord sometime towards the end of September, and the coupe about 3 weeks later.

This is for Canada.

You guys in the US usually get the stuff before us, so I wouldn't be surprised if you see it late August, beginning of September.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    It's up to you to believe the info at this site:

http://www.vtec.net/modelmatrix/

FMC, A-VTEC to appear, 280hp (or more) 3.5L V6. 4cyl model said to have 180hp, possibly a 200hp "Special Edition"
  • Options
    dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    It all sounds wonderful. The only problem I see is it would put the Accord on par with the TL, & it doesn't make any business sense for Honda to do that, unless of course Acura raises the bar on the TL (which, eventually, it probably will).

Toyota made a grand leap with the '07 Camry. V6 power rose by a substantial 58HP. The new Accord doesn't have to match that because the it's V6 was already considerably more powerful than the previous generation Camry.

But it is exciting to see where all this is going. I remember back in the 80's when the 5.0 Mustangs were first introduced with the 225HP V8 and thinking = Man, that's a lot of horses in a smaller car!

The march of technology is truly incredible. Now, you can get all that power in a reasonably economical package.
  • Options
    meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    That's too much hp for a FWD car.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Fantastic foursome: Among Atlanta auto show's hundreds of cars, these jewels stand out

http://www.ajc.com/cars/content/printedition/2007/03/17/carstars0317a.html

Honda Accord coupe

The Honda Accord coupe is a very cool-looking car. Did you ever think "Honda Accord" and "very cool" would appear in the same sentence?

While the Accord coupe on display is a hollow sculpture —- there is no engine, no seats —- the real car that arrives in showrooms in August will be nearly identical, said Sara Pines of Honda. A six-sided grille and projector headlamps contribute to the Accord's aggressive new look.

The new Accord will feature a cleaner and more powerful V-6 engine with variable cylinder management that shuts down three cylinders when cruising.
This discussion has been closed.