Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    The people who ask, "Did I get a good deal?" probably didn't do their research in the first place. Otherwise, they would know whether they got a good deal or not.

If they can go to a Prices Paid board and type in, "Did I get a good deal?" AFTER they buy, they can certainly go to Edmunds TMV and read other posts in prices paid to get a general idea of what a good deal is BEFORE they buy.
  • I'm assuming they were going after a unit bonus which would explain taking the hit. You know, $300 a car back to car one if you hit your number. Just a thought, John
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,785
    Good advise, except some of the "Prices Paid" never happened. Then they go out armed with incorrect information and get frustrated when those numbers weren't attainable.

Or maybe they DID happen...like someone else said, the store needed two more cars on the 31st of the month to earn a bonus of some type so they caved in and lost a few bucks to earn a bunch more.

Or maybe they underallowed on the trade in or just maybe the trade was an extra sharp, popular car that they knew they would be able to sell for a healthy profit?

It's good to be a knowledgable shopper but there can be a lot of variables to consider!
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    Your thought might be interesting, John, if I had any idea what you were saying.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    No doubt many posts "never happened". You sales guys read the prices paid forum quite a bit, and probably have a better idea than I do of how many are bogus posts. But,I would make an educated guess at about 5-7%. With a higher % not telling the complete story. It seems the most questionable posts are: those that pop up out of nowhere,from a first time poster who does not follow up, little to no info in profile, have a price significantly higher or lower than the norm, the post is lacking in details, and it just doesn't sound right... different than the others.

I think most people who read Prices Paid forums often enough can generally tell which ones to weed out and which ones to accept.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Bob, what John is saying is that the day you bought your Accord the dealership was probably a car or two away from hitting a sales goal from the factory. For example: Your sale would be Accord number 49 and the stores goal was 50. So the store figured we can lose $500.00 on this one and break even on the next one (Accord #50)or make a profit. So at the end of the month when they report all their Accord sales to the distributor and reached the 50 Accord sales, the distributor will cut the dealership a check for $15000 or more depending on the final number over 50. The sales managers may share in this "bonus" or it may just be for the dealer principal. So to illustrate, they lost $500.00 to sell you a car but made $14,500.00 in the end. Not bad heh? Wish I would have been a dealer principal.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    Thanks for explaining that in English, Mack.

By the way, the 2005 Accord is much nicer than the 1999 model. The steering is easier and the clutch takes much less effort. It doesn't even have all the rattles I was afraid of - knock on wood.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,957
    I'd say over 90% are "true", to the best knowledge of the person posting..

Details are often left out.... Any post with a trade-in obviously is hard to evaluate.. Some people don't even understand their own deal, or how much they paid.

But, as jipster says... if you read them enough, you can get a good feel for which ones offer information that you can use..

You can get a lot more information there about real prices, than anywhere else.. After all, without those forums, I'd have to assume that the Honda dealers are sold out of almost every model and that they sell all units at MSRP!! ;)

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

You're welcome Bob!
    Mack
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Does anyone know what happened to "Cliffy," who sold Toyotas in the Northern Virginia area? Mack, you guys used to be in touch, weren't you?

Just curious, because I want to test-drive a Toyota Solara convertible and wondered if he's still around.
  • manamalmanamal Posts: 434
    Last I heard he (cliffy) was at the same dealership, but working on Scions.
    I haven't heard from him in a while. I know he was managing the Scion side of the house at Springfield Toyota/Scion. You may want to call the dealership and ask. Let us know what you find.
    Mackabee
  • thebillthebill Posts: 194
    lol...i think im going to like this forum...that prices paid forum is getting no where
  • "I am always fascinated by the people who post and ask, Hey, I just bought this car - here is what I paid, did I get screwed???

Who cares...it's tooo late. "

How true!
  • I received this Internet inquiry the other day.

It was from a woman in North Carolina who is looking to buy a Civic LX Coupe, particulary with automatic transmission and Galaxy Gray. I say this because the LX Civic is a very hgard car to come by. Now, our dealership is in Maryland...so this woman is looking for a car and is implying that she will drive the over 500 miles to buy said car...right. And I have some swampland in Florida for you too.

My policy here is that everyone gets a response to their inquiry. So I sent her a response...it went like this "I searched a 5 state area (which I did) and found a number of Honda dealers that have this exact Civic. Good luck to you."

So about an hour later I get a phone call from North Carolina.

Customer: "I am confused by your email"

Me: "How so?"

Customer: "You say that there are delaerships that have this car...will you give me their addresses?"

Me: " You do use the Internet for your research right?"

Customer: "Yes...but..."

Me: "...then you need to do more research."

Customer: "Well...what do you mean by 'Good Luck to you?'"

Me: "Exactly what it says...Good luck"

This was the obvious end to the conversation. Was I representing my dealership in the best possible light? Nope...but it felt good.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    I'd say over 90% are "true", to the best knowledge of the person posting..

Trouble is, too many people believe the ten percenters, the ones who decide that no one could possibly get a better deal than they did so there's some serious embellishment going on. How many times do I have to read, "But it said on Edmunds..."

I got hit with this one yesterday...the potential customer told me he had expected a much better deal than I had offered, saying that my price only matched Edmunds. Now I know he probably forgot to add the automatic transmission or looked up a more basic model but no one likes to be told that...I had price the car to reach a sales target so it was well into holdback and I included the rebate (which he also questioned me on).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,957
    While I feel your pain (sort of).. it looks like Edmunds worked out for him!!

I agree with everything you said... But, I'm sure that those kinds of buyers would be a pain... whether they got incomplete information here... or from anywhere else (brother-in-law?).

Your story is a good example, though.. You can do all the research you want, but you never know when you'll happen to be in the dealership at the right time, when all the stars are aligned... and get the "deal of the century". We have a lot of members... Sometimes, those "unbelievable" deals happened just as described.

If that person had posted that deal on Edmunds (and, they might.. ;) ), how many people would believe them?

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    Sounds like she would have been a good candidate for one of those auto buying services that charge the fee to locate and buy the car for you.
  • sigt1sigt1 Posts: 66
    and you didn't give her a few names... why?
  • This happend on my day off so I heard about it yesterday. Our F&I guy was out with a couple in a SC Sport. They were not familar with the area and happend to be hearing impaired as well so he was having difficulty communicating to them. He told them to go down to the bottom of this hill and at the light take a left. Well this particular intersection is kind of strange in that about half way down the hill there is a light that you cannot make left or right turns at. You can only go straight when it turns gree. The husban got confused and took a left at this light when it turned green cause he did not see the sign. Well you know what happend there was a cop just a few cars behind them and he pulled them over.

OOps.

They lucked out though cause the cop got another call over his radio and had to leave. They just got a warning.
    You're right it didn't put you and your dealership in the best possible light.

Example: I live 6- 7 months of the year pretty near you, I guess, just outside of Washington. We also own a beach house in Nags Head, NC. Don't know if this woman happens to be in the same situation, but I could see myself shopping dealers both in the D.C. area and in N.C. It happens.

If I got a response like that from a dealer I'd be turned off that brand pretty quickly.
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    consider this:

first scenerio is you give the buyer the info they ask for and they dont buy the car from you and they buy from another dealership.

second scenerio is you give the info and they end up buying a car from you

third scenerio is that you blow them out and dont sell them or anyone they know a car for the rest of your life

my advice is for you to give yourself a chance and be of service to the people that took their time to contact you. You can not sell them all a car but at least give yourself a chance for future opportunites.

this isnt rocket science.
  • There were a couple of things that I neglected to mention. First of all the email address wasn't quite what you would say would be "normal" I don't know how to put this in correct wording.

Let me just say that we can get a good idea of the customer by the email. I know that's hard to believe but it is true. For examlple if I receive an Internet inquiry from Jack Books @ largecompany.com and he is in Myrtle Beach SC...we lok at this as a good lead, even if he is 600 miles from us. If we receive one from Jane Dokes @ hotsweetthing69@hotmail.com this is NOT going to be as high quality as the first. Its really hard to explain this...needless to say that the person from NC was obviously plugging in names of dealerships and waiting for replies. Her email addy reflected this and I won't repeat it on this forum.

Now, I will be the first to say that I do ALOT of out of state business. We have a number of colleges here and parents will contact us to help their son/daughter buy a car...or whatever scenario of family member you can imagine. I even have set our Google adwords to reflect a National presence for a search of our states dealerships.
    Well, I'm sure you had your reasons. Just sayin', is all.

By the way, LOTS of people have different e-mails for different purposes. I have four e-mail addresses: one is specifically for on-line shopping. (Unfortunately it doesn't have quite the imaginative zing as "hotsweetthing." ;) )

Plugging in names of dealerships and waiting for replies? Gee, what a terrible thing for a shopper to do!
  • thebillthebill Posts: 194
    lol....i know what you mean.

however, there are many buyers on here that they're main goal for the day is to email dealers around THE COUNTRY shopping prices to report on here with a number that is false.

I caught someone yesterday with a false quote from a dealer. The quote was a 1000 net loser on a SI!!!!
  • Hi all,

I'm new to the US and am currently looking to buy a new car for cash. I've read through Edmunds etc.. trying to see how things work here. I believe myself to be in a strong position to pay invoice for a car ($29k.Am I right or wrong and why? .....Obviously I want to pay as little as poss and the dealer wants as much as poss that much is taken. How would you guys rank someone like me as a buyer?
    Thanks for your time

ps Nice little country ya got here:)
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ... **I believe myself to be in a strong position to pay invoice for a car ($29k.Am I right or wrong and why? ....**

What is the vehicle, options and what part of the country are you in..?

**ps Nice little country ya got here:)..**

Thanks, we kinda love it here ........ :blush:

Terry.
  • "(Unfortunately it doesn't have quite the imaginative zing as "hotsweetthing." )
    "

You should see some of the email addys we get...sheesh! Some of the voice messages on answering machines are really funny too. Needless to say, when we get one of those, we give it to one of the green-peas. :-)
  • See I told you it was all new:)

I'm looking at a subaru outback 2.5xt ltd invoice c 29k and am in Oregon. No options on the car but I will prob add about 1k worth
  • Our local Subaru dealer has just started running ads on the box claiming the lowest prices of anyone. I think they've got tired of loosing business to the bigger dealers in Portland and Eugene. To be fair, I got my 2005 Legacy GT Limited from them at $500 over invoice which was a very good deal back then.
This discussion has been closed.