Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bkm1967bkm1967 Posts: 2
    I live in Muncie, IN and I paid 13320 for mine. Does not have the power pack but it was the only one on the lot and it does have AT. No alloy wheels, either.

I have a Jeep Wrangler and just needed a good commuter vehicle to travel my daily 110 round to work and home. :)
  • robertknrobertkn Posts: 94
    Hey tjw1308, I wonder whether you could comment on something. Could you outline the "communication process" that occurs from the time an order is taken to the time of delivery? My salesman told me something about Toyota having to formally "accept" an order, then at some point a "Temporarily Serial#" gets assigned, then there are some "Status" codes that get assigned and communicated along the way. Is there any more to the process? Thanks.
  • webshafwebshaf Posts: 8
    I would like to know more about this process also. I ordered a LB in May and over 2 months later the dealer called and said Toyota won't make it. Something doesn't jive that it would take so long to hear that after being told it would be ready for me in Sept. Anybody in the business have thoughts on this? Thanks.
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Posts: 296
    Well anytime you preference a vehicle it's technically "accepted" by Toyota once it's put into the Toyota Dealer Network and given priority based on your dealership (some get better allocation than others). On a pure order though (which we rarely if ever do), I'm sure you'd get more of a confirmation.

Once the temporary serial is assigned the vehicle has been processed and scheduled for build, and most of the time has already been built (manufacturers don't like releasing VIN's until the vehicle is en route due to dealers contracting on cars that aren't on hand yet, and because VIN applications sometimes take longer than the build process).

The status code you are looking for is "G". If the car is in "G" status it means the car is built, VIN'd, and 99 times out of 100, at the dealer. "A" Status is On-Order. Typically "A" status has information attached to it including time of production, ETA to port, and ETA to dealer (Sometimes skipping a step entirely and just showing up =). The Dealer ETA is usually fairly accurate once the vehicle is on the way though.

Keep in mind, as my boss often reminds me, the whole process is only as good as the person updating it in the system (remember my car arrived a good 10 days before even us Toyota guys thought it would).

Hope that helps a little :)

T
    I can almost guarantee you that no traditional "order" was ever placed :( .

Instead, they most likely "preferenced" your car in the hopes that one of the ones hitting your region in the two months before they gave up would match. Then they could just go get it from whoever ended up with it (if it wasn't them).

It's kinda like ordering I suppose, but 2 months is a short time for a DOMESTIC manufacturer to special order a car these days, let alone one entirely built in Japan. Usually the cars have already been scheduled out for months, and usually one coming down the pipe is what you "ordered".

With the Yaris, the demand has been higher than even Toyota anticipated I think.

I had a couple last saturday that wanted a 5 speed liftback with every option and ended up leaving in a base automatic.

For now, even insiders (mine doesn't have the power package) have to make sacrifices :) .

My only advice would be give it time, and check outside your current region. Last I looked though, there were literally only about 20 L/B on the ground nationwide.

Hang in! They're worth it! :D

T
    Well...thanks...I think. This is going to be interesting. It was my understanding that an "order" was taken. I have a sheet of paper with my car specd out just like I want it. The salesman looked in his computer and said "Your car doesn't exist in the world so it will have to be built." He said it would take 3-5 weeks to get "acceptance" of the order (which became 4-6 weeks after I signed the paper). Then another 2-4 before the car arrived. I called him at exactly 4 weeks to see what was up. (Trying to be a good customer and not bug him constantly.) He said his manager had informed him that Toyota had "accepted" the order within the 1st week. I said, "That means they are going to build it the way we ordered it, right? He said, "Yes" and that he would call when they received the Temp Ser# meaning production was imminent. I sure hope I'm not getting a big song & dance. Is there an "F" status? They told me that if I have sold my existing cars by the time the status goes "F" that they would provide me a loaner until my Yaris arrives.
    "F" Status is In-Transit, although since it technically is on the move (and the driver sure doesn't update the TDN), it's tough to guage exactly what day it'll be there (rely loosely on the DLR-ETA for that).

Again, it sounds like they may have actually ordered the car. If they did, from all I know and have heard though, even the full ten week worst case scenario is VERY generous imho.

Unless you ordered a typical package of options (regionally available) or just wanted something like a port installed armrest or bumper protector, I'd say be prepared to wait.

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask though, as with the pain in the butt these orders inevitibly become (case in point, and certainly understandable), we just stick to getting what we know we can get.

If it means losing a few deals to save the hassle I guess we're guilty, but I certainly know why we do lol...

Keep us updated, as I am very interested to see how it works out, and sorry I can't be of more help :)

T
    with the pain in the butt these orders inevitibly become (case in point, and certainly understandable), we just stick to getting what we know we can get.

Well, it isn't really a pain in the butt--YET. The only way it would be is if I'm not being dealt with honestly as regards the whole ordering scenario. All anyone really wants is honesty so they can manage their life accordingly. It's when people play games that things get frustrating. I will most definitely report back as to how things transpire.
    All anyone really wants is honesty so they can manage their life accordingly

Ahhh, if only that were true, my job would be SO much easier :P

T
  • rbaruchrbaruch Posts: 5
    So, I got my 3-door manual Yaris yesterday. My previous experience was with Newark Toyota in Delaware. :mad:

So after that fiasco, I went to Ardmore Toyota in Philadelphia, figuring that being a bigger dealer, they'd have more control over things. I asked for the car on the 19th, and they called me back on the 24th or 25th. Apparently the car that I wanted had already been built, and they just snagged it without agonizing about which dealer it was supposed to go to and trying to work a deal with them. It arrived at the dealership on the 29th, and I drove it home yesterday! :)

Lesson learned: go to a city to buy a car.

Oh, and also, driving in on unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar car at night sucks :(

--Rob
  • asa805asa805 Posts: 29
    How much did u pay?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    And what options did you get?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• rbaruchrbaruch Posts: 5
    It has manual trans, convenience package, all-weather package, floor mats, and arm rest, that's it. I paid $12,500, which includes the destination charge, but does not include taxes, tags, etc.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    I know there are some of you who just HAVE to have one of these cars, but now is the absolute WORST time to buy one. Because it's a brand new model, and because it's very unique looking, demand for this car is so high Toyota can't build them fast enough. The result is dealers being very inflexiable on price, and people having to settle for what they can find instead of getting exactly what they want. My advice is wait until supply meets or exceeds demand (it always does). This will mean better deals can be had, and you'll be more apt to find the model, color, equipment, etc., you're looking for. Also, I'm sure Toyota will come to their senses and relaize how badly they screwed up by not offering cruise control and a tach for the liftback model. Those will probably be available for the '08 model.
    Before anyone overreacts they need to realize a couple things:

1) A "good deal" on a Yaris is literally a matter of hundreds, not thousands of dollars. If waiting a year or more to save a few hundred bucks is worth it to ya, by all means, but you must realize the markup in these cars is MINISCULE.

2) You say "how badly they screwed up"... Let's see... they can't keep up with demand, sell for sticker, and have a higher owner rating on Edmunds than the Fit OR the Versa.

Wow, I wish my life was as screwed up as this car... :P

Now in all seriousness, I agree demand will die down a bit, but to delay your purchase for saving literally a hundred bucks or two and on the HUNCH they may add a few features that only a handful find essential... is a little extreme.

T
    When I said they screwed up, I didn't mean on the entire car, I meant they screwed up by not making the liftback available with cruise control and a tach. My guess is there have already been enough complaints about this, Toyota will act. They're pretty good about listening to their customers. Also there is more to waiting to buy one besides saving money. You will also be more likely to find one equipped the way you want it. As it is now, they're so hard to find you're almost stuck with settling for what's available.
    Crazy as it may sound, I haven't heard a single complaint about the lack of cruise or the tach from anyone thus far (over 200 customers minimum).

What I do hear is the hemming and hawing about having to pay sticker. It's borderline ridiculous. If you don't want to pay the whopping 9% markup, go buy a Ford lol.. I hear they have no trouble at all keeping oodles on the lot these days... I only wonder why :P ...

As for equipment, we can typically get what someone wants as far as color/equipment (within reason, but keep in mind, they bundle things like the power package, ABS, and side airbags together) within 4-6 weeks.

If you HAVE to have it today, then yes, sometimes you'll have to settle. But it's not as if settling includes getting a car with a different engine, or without brakes, or something to that effect.

A lot of people are quite comfortable without things like ABS, Side Airbags, and Power Packages.

Frankly, I'm happy to be associated with a manufacturer that doesn't overproduce just because they can, have oodles of unsold product, and have to beg customers to buy them with huge rebates and discounts.

There's a reason why Toyota excluded certain features. As discussed ad nauseum here, they don't want to cannibalize Corolla sales given that it is stale product. Now MAYBE when the new (2008-9) Corolla hits we will see the NEXT model year Yaris Liftback (2009-10) include a tach and cruise, but until then, myself and a lot of industry insiders find it highly unlikely.

There's also a reason why once you get the sedan equipped with those features it's basically as expensive as a CE Corolla :) .

For the forums edification, we have still been moving every one we get, within 24-48 hours, for MSRP. If you can get a hundred or more off and are getting a Yaris that makes you happy, jump on it!

T
    ....available as a dealer installed option in the liftback?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I noticed that no models of Yaris, hatch, sedan or S sedan show any availability of side curtain airbags anywhere in the state of California. I tried the Toyota Configurator in multiple zip codes in both northern and southern California.

Is this a "real" option that they plan to make available later in the year or just a phantom vapor "option" pencil-whipped onto their brochures and websites simply for marketing reasons?

Even ABS is rare since it seems to be only be available in one option package on the base sedan. Not available on the S sedan or the hatchback.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    The Airbag package is pretty much a "paper" option for Toyota. There are 3 out of 281 Yarii in the Southeast region with the option. Unlike Honda where safety is for everyone, at Toyota it is safety in the commercials and brochures but not actually available in cars for sale.
    So, it looks like the Honda Fit and Civic and the Toyota Corolla are the only high mpg economy cars readily available at dealers with ABS, side curtain airbags and cruise control and good crash ratings. The Corolla is a bit old a crude now, so I'd probably wait for the 2008 redesign.
    I can't even find a Versa with side curtain airbags and ABS anywhere and the styling is so unappealing to me that I might pass even if I did find one. The Hyundai accent and Kia Rio aren't available with cruise control.
    The Chevy Aveo has poor crash test results no matter how many airbags are in the car because it is an old design that was warmed over and restyled superfically for 2007.
    VW Rabbit has very poor mpg.
  • tbg1tbg1 Posts: 22
    ...well not really, as I haven't actually bought a Yaris yet. I've known this time was coming since my son got his drivers license last year and we've made him wait a year before turning him loose on society as an independent driver. So he gets the "hand-me-down" older car ('98 Mazda 626) - easier insurance rates - and I get a new commuter car to carry me to and from work. And I've decided that car will be a Yaris 2-door, automatic (I'm too old to put up with all that shifting in city traffic and a hot cup of morning coffee is just too important to me to risk!) so an automatic it will be.
    Last weekend, I began my search (here at Edmunds) and besides learning about the Yaris through various web links, I waded through all twenty pages of comments in this discussion group. So ultimately, I've decided on exactly what I want and what appears to me to be a reasonable profit for the dealer. I don't need any dealership salesman "expertise" (oxymoron, as you will see in a bit)... I just need an "order taker". And these are turning out to be hard to find.
    First, here's the email sent to approximately ten Toyota dealerships in North Texas (and one around Houston):
    I would like the following:
    2-Dr, Automatic
    With Option package: PQ and AB
    These are the only options I’m willing to pay for.
    I have no trade-in and I will be paying cash.
    Color choices are: 1) Meteorite Metallic, 2) Bayou Blue and a distance 3rd) Polar White.
    If you need to “preference” this car, please advise the wait time and how much deposit you require. I expect if the car is “preferenced” not to have any other options added at the last minute for which I’m expected to pay.
    Give me your best price up front. This same requirement has been sent to other local Toyota dealers (and I named about half a dozen locations).
    --
    So far, over this holiday weekend, I've received two responses:
    1) Plano, TX: We treasure our customers and the relationship that are formed with these customers. If you are only interested in price then please take us off you list. (To which I replied: Done.) and
    2) The location in Spring, Tx (just north of Houston); they at least followed my instructions: they sent a quote. And while it appears to be about $155 OVER MSRP (at least according to Edmunds), they are at least "in the running" (i.e., within negotiating range).
    No deliver/possession time schedule has been address yet with any dealer (that should prove interesting).
    I'll post more results from Texas as I get them.
  • tbg1tbg1 Posts: 22
    Couple other points I failed to mention.
    A reasonable -to me- dealer profit (given the current demand for this vehicle and the MSRP deals mentioned in this forum) seems to be something on the order of $900 to $1000 over their invoice for the combination of options I want. In other words, something right at MSRP, without any additional dealer add-on "fluff" options (which I'm not willing to pay for - it's deal killer, period). Seems like dealerships would learn that lesson after awhile but I guess American consumers just keep paying for such things.

My other comment about salesmen. My wife and I have ventured out this weekend to look at this vehicle and sit in it to "test fit" it, etc. And of course, I'm going out, already "armed for bear" even though I'm not really planning to start any kind of negotiations with salesmen. But, be that as it may, we're obliged to speak to this one fellow who tries his best to do battle with information gleaned from the internet (even his own dealer's website).
    I tell him we've come to look at this car and I wanted to see both the 4-dr model as well as the 2-dr hatchback (3-dr, liftback...whatever...I don't play these name games too well). We're seated inside at his table and he goes away, I suppose to "check inventory". He comes back and announces the dealership doesn't have any of the hatchback/liftback models to show me. I told him the web said you have a red one and a grey one...he says that's why you can't trust the internet! I didn't argue; perhaps they had sold them both and the internet info was out of date.... that is, until we spotted the grey one sitting alone in the front row of their rather large parking lot on our way out. It had not been sold - no indication whatsoever of having been sold recently. Now in light of "not trusting" {the Internet}...guess who's lost my trust completely? The salesman either: 1) lied to me or 2) is incompetent; in either case his credibility is in the toilet. Watch out McKinney, Texas!
  • You've only just begun! I also know exactly which options I want(side airbags) and was given a very good quote on what I wanted(Under MSRP!) last May. It's been games, lies and/or incompetence while they have my deposit. You may want to contact the Toyota customer line once you have a dealer that will actually work with you. Hope you have way better luck than me. (I'm still waiting, but the Versa is starting to look doable...if I can find one to look at!)
    Yes, but only aftermarket. I'd only reccomend going that route if you can't LIVE without it though...

T
    Yes, incompetence was the likely culprit (and I'm a salesman myself :) ).

It's possible that vehicle was sold too (sometimes we still display stuff that's already sold just so people can actually see it... sometimes it's hard to get a deposit on a vehicle only seen in brochures).

In the end, unless you plan on waiting 4-6 months, be sure thatyour desired options are offered by themselves (not part of a larger grouping) in your region by consulting the .pdf manual for your zip code at www.toyota.com.

Your pricing seems reasonable by the way. Just keep in mind, there isn't much reason to discount a product even a hundred bucks if they all sell within 24 hours at MSRP. Don't pay for the fluff, but don't lose one over a hundred bucks either :) .

I can run nationwide locates if anyone needs my help.

Side SRS is available in 5% or so of the nationwide supply currently. It's my feeling that side bags really wouldn't help me much if I were broadsided by something much larger than me, but if people want to pay extra for that peace of mind... it's a free country.

The number one safety feature is accident avoidance :) of which the Yaris has in loads (it's small, manuverable, and stops on a dime).

T
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    here in the S.F. Bay Area is now advertising savings off MSRP on Yaris, so don't fret people! Those prices are coming down!

Latest ad was all Yaris S automatics in stock for $700+ off MSRP, three to choose from.

They have started running ads every weekend for liftbacks with the stick and convenience package for $11,809 too, which by my calculation is almost $500 off sticker.

If you want the savings, gun for them! But stick to the highest-volume dealerships if you want to pay less than MSRP, I think.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

If cruise is only available through the aftermarket, then it can't be a dealer installed option. A dealer installed option would be covered under the car's factory warranty whereas aftermarket parts aren't.
    Right, aftermarket parts sometimes have a LONGER warranty.

In the case of Cruise, the warranty we offer at my particular dealership is 5 years from the date of purchase, and for reference, our service director has installed over 100 (he said he does about 10 or so a year and has been here for 12 years) and has not had a reported problem.

T
    That sounds like something a salesman tells you or you tell yourself to rationalize not having it.
    Of course it will not help you past a certain severity of impact, but it will be a help up to that point, so why not have the best protection available?

You cannot do much to avoid people running red lights broadsiding you.

There is 0%, not 5% availability in most areas, so there is no choice other than to just not buy a Yaris if you want a car with a good side impact rating.