Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Is your Fit auto or manual, and what sort of speeds did you keep?
  • Options
    suzecruisesuzecruise Member Posts: 23
    It's automatic and I was on the Interstate most of the way. I went the speed limit, which is a new concept for me. Speed limit is 70 mph most of the way, 65 mph in some areas.
  • Options
    That's great. You could go 400 miles on a tank of gas and still have nearly a gallon in reserve!
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    I went the speed limit, which is a new concept for me.

Good for you!!! And the car thanked you with really excellent fuel economy!! :)

Kip
  • Options
    Yeah, since I've had my Fit, I've slowed down. Instead of trying to get from Point A to Point B as fast as possible, I went the speed limit, let all the traffic pass me, and actually enjoyed the journey.

Maybe my Fit is rewarding me with good gas mileage and some helpful life lessons... :)
  • Options
    Maybe my Fit is rewarding me with good gas mileage and some helpful life lessons... :)

In days of yore large helpings of Horsepower were, or seemed like, necessity. Point A to B were done as quickly as possible. Then the Feds imposed the 55 mph speed limits. A few tickets and higher insurance rates and 1 point from loosing the drivers license finally got my attention. So did the increase in fuel mileage. So did the realization that there are things to see on a trip besides the next car to blow by.

Now the drive is a fun part of the trip. My wife still wants to blink her eyes and be there so I got her a portable DVD player to keep her occupied while I generally stay in the RH lane and enjoy the drive, stop when I want to, and arrive refreshed instead of frazzled.

About this time last year 4 of us went to Myrtle beach in our 03 Pilot. We were running late and were really in a rush. In spite of the rain We ran 80+ most of the way with 90 at times, cruise and AC on. It is a 350 mile trip and mileage figured out to 18.4 mpg. Coming back we drove the posted speed limit, it was not raining. AC about 1/3-1/2 the time, and Cruise used only on flat sections. Stopped when we felt like it. Mileage = 28.7 mpg. Realizing there can be some discrepancies in how each tank was filled but not that much. The major difference had to be the way it was driven. Arrived home feeling good!! :)

Kip
  • Options
    b10chemb10chem Member Posts: 6
    Just a quick update on my "horrible" gas mileage. Over the past few days I have been paying very close attention to keeping the rpm's under 3K. My gas guage currently reads just over a half tank and I am at about 120 miles. I think this is a good sign. I will update once I get an accurate number at my next fill-up.
    Thanks again.
    Jen
  • Options
    gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Jen,

I really doubt your getting your actually getting in the low teens. Your most likely calculating wrong. You need to be filling up at the same pump, don't put any more in after the auto shut off, Dont fill up at least until your at a qtr tank. There is a method to getting a true calculation for your mpg. If your off on one of these variables, you will get an inaccurate reading.

Plus, extended idleing in traffic, stop and go traffic, repeated short trips in cold weather also work to kill mileage.

......and ILP means Idle Learn Procedure.
  • Options
    greenee07greenee07 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in getting a Fit but was surprised with the used 1998 Ford Contour my in-laws bought a few years back. It was bought solely as a means of transportation with no amenities such as AC. It's a 5-speed manual and we used it for a 3-day trip from north NJ to Washington, DC just before New Years. We filled up the tank when we left home and set the trip odometer to zero. The speed limits on the freeways were 55mph or 65mph. The road noise from this car increased dramatically as its speed approached and exceeded 60mph. With over 124,000 miles on its main odometer and old tires, I decided to play it safe and drive at 60mph or below. I stayed in the far right lane and after a while got used to all the vehicles passing on my left.

The pleasant surprise was that when I re-fueled at about the half-way point on my way back from DC, the gas gauge read approx 1/4 full, the trip odometer read 409 miles, and it took 10.235 gallons to fill it up. That's the equivalent of 409/10.235 or 39.96 miles per gallon! This is not all highway driving - there were some stop and go driving in downtown DC with traffic lights, etc. If it's all highway driving, I would think the mileage could be above 40mpg.

I used to drive 75 to 85mph on my dad's 2000 Honda Accord with automatic transmission during ski trips and averaged 31 to 32 mpg. I wonder if I can get 40mpg with the Accord if I drove at 55 to 60mph.

I'm interested to see what kind of gas mileage Honda Fit drivers can get on road trips if they drove at 55 to 60mph. Let me know if you do because I'm really curious.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks gearhead1. I actually always fill up at the EXACT same pump and usually I am hovering around an empty tank when I do fill it. I do not overfill it. From there I simply divide the total miles by the gallons that it took to fill the tank. If there is more to calculating the mpg please tell me what I am doing wrong.
    Thanks again for responding!
    Jen
  • Options
    Thanks gearhead1. I actually always fill up at the EXACT same pump and usually I am hovering around an empty tank when I do fill it. I do not overfill it. From there I simply divide the total miles by the gallons that it took to fill the tank. If there is more to calculating the mpg please tell me what I am doing wrong.
    Thanks again for responding!
    Jen

I'm not sure where you are geographically, but if you your just letting the car sit at idle fo 5-10 minutes or more to warm up in the morning this winter, that will kill your mpg as well.
  • Options
    Just drove 700 miles round trip 90%hwy (about 70mph avg) 10%city and had 37.9mpg on one tank and 37.4mpg on another. I know that driving 60mph I'd easily get over 40mpg. Sport/Auto.
  • Options
    rsm333rsm333 Member Posts: 29
    I picked up my Taffeta White, Sport Auto last evening at Manly Honda in Santa Rosa CA. (an hour North of San Francisco). I ordered the car in late October and consider having to wait six weeks reasonable. I paid MSRP and got floor mats for $99. The drive home was 218 miles and I filled it up this morning (I did check that the tank was full at the dealer) with 6.73 gallons. That figures to be 32.39 mpg. I am happy with that. The trip is hilly, all highway and I drove between 60-80 mph. I didn’t think too much about limiting RPMs or getting the best mileage, I mostly just wanted to see how the Fit handled the trip. I never felt at a loss for power and the thing seems to pass just fine. The car is less quiet than I had hoped for, but much quieter than my wife’s 2005 CR-V. My iPod works fine using the AUX port. This windshield wipers work great and the high and low beams seem pretty good to me. (based on other’s reports here of mis-aimed low beams, I had the dealer adjust the low beams to the higher end of the spec). I am quite pleased so far.
  • Options
    dangerous4dangerous4 Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my nighthawk black Fit sport AT. I've driven it 400 miles in 2 days. (I commute ALOT in southern Cal for work). I've been very easy on it, no to the floor driving, no Rpm's above 4,500 or so.

I'm got under 27 mph on my first tank.

Whats with that? How much of a break in period is there? I bought the car 70% for fuel economy, and 30% for interior storage space.

I made a bad buy if its not going to get at least 30-32 on the highway.

Did anyone's milage go up after 4-5 tanks of gas?
  • Options
    If you will take the time to read the many excellent post concerning MPG your questions will be answered.

Driving habits have a lot to do with mileage. A new engine at 4500 +/- rpm seems a bit extreme to me. Definitely not a formula for good mileage.

Your owners manual will tell you about break-in.

Fuel Mileage will improve with time. Provided the engine has not been damaged while all the "NEW" parts and pieces were trying to "wear-in" to one another.!

Kip
  • Options
    Well, since it redlines at 6500 ish, ....I've bever pushed the gas pedal more than halfway down.

I've gone out of my way to drive it nice.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    There are an immense number of variables as to why driver "A" gets 38 mpg using a similarly equipped car as driver "B" but driver "B" gets substantially less. A couple of things stuck out immediately..the words commute and S.California. I live on the other coast and perceive California drivers "commutes" to be both long and slow. I could easily be wrong in your particular case but nonetheless unless you drive purely highway (preferably flat highway)at a reasonable speed..NOT 80-and up...your mileage will suffer to some extent. Then there is that darn EPA estimated mileage sticker that most everybody takes as gospel giving you very high expectations. Finally, do not expect fuel economy to increase a whole lot after break-in. Some manufacturers vehicles respond really well to break-in with regard to fuel economy (Hyundai comes to mind)but our 2006 Civic?? not so much if at all.
  • Options
    I actually drive in very little traffic (I live in north san diego county and drive to orange county alot, usually little traffic) and drive at a speed of usually 70 mph on cruise control.

I don't work a 9-5, so I'm rarely in rush hour traffic.
  • Options
    bayoujaybayoujay Member Posts: 24
    Have a Sport Auto and got 26 mpg on my first tank and was disappointed too. But during a long roadtrip I was able to get 37-40 doing 65/70 on the Interstate. I think the 10% ethanol in my local market is hurting my numbers, though.
  • Options
    I just got 39.9mpg on my Fit Sport Auto (297.5 miles and 7.46gal to fill up) on a highway trip. The speed limits varied from 55-70mph, and I drive 60-65mph in a 55zone, 70mph in a 65zone, and a little over 70mph in a 70zone. I use the cruise as much as possible. The terrain was pretty flat, but there was a constant light rain, so I had the defroster on, which meant that the AC was also on because the temps were in the high 40s. I have a little over 2000 miles on the Fit. This was my best mileage yet. I was at 210 miles when the tank was exactly at the 1/2 point.

I was in the low 30's MPGs when the car was new, but now the MPG is getting better. I'd say my average is about 35MPG, which is right in line with the 31city/38hwy EPA estimate. My mileage on part of this trip was only 35MPG, but it was lower because I had about 20% suburb driving on that tank, plus I was driving faster on the highway, it was raining hard, and there was more traffic.

I'd say based on this trip, you can get 40mpg on fairly flat terrain using the cruise and keeping the speed at about 65mph. But it is throttle sensitive, so if you race around with it the MPG can really go down.

FYI it was my wife and 2yr old in the car with about 150lbs of luggage in the back. This car really holds a lot. I had three suitcases, stroller and large diaper bag behind the 2nd row, and under the 2nd row I had a small cooler, bottle warmer, wipes, books, etc... On the trip my wife could sit in the back in the "refresh" position to
  • Options
    I just did a quick calculation to see the difference between topping off when filling up and just stopping after the first auto-stop point. When I fill up, I always give it a little more after the pump's first auto-stop point. The reason is that sometimes the pump will stop almost immediately if it's at the wrong angle or pushed in too far. Or if you're pumping the gas slowely verus quickly, then that will affect the stop point too. Some gas pumps have notches to allow for hands-free pumping and some don't, plus different pumps pump at different speeds.

Anway, I usually give it a few more shots of gas every time I pump, but I didn't realize the difference a few tenths of a gallon will make on the overall MPG numbers. Here are some examples:

300 miles divided by 7.2 gal = 41.6mpg
    300 miles divided by 7.5 gal = 40.0mpg
    300 miles divided by 7.8 gal = 38.5mpg

As long as you use the same pump and stop at the first stop-point then you're okay. But for those who use different pumps and sometimes top off and sometimes don't, then you can have a 3mpg difference from 1/2 a gallon added in.

Anyway, just found it interesting to see what a difference a few tenths of a gallon make.
  • Options
    On the trip my wife could sit in the back in the "refresh" position to..

Sit in the "refresh" position to do what!???? Why must you tease us this way?
  • Options
    take care of our daughter and relax...what else :P Actually I didn't realize my last sentence was cut off.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I used to drive 75 to 85mph on my dad's 2000 Honda Accord with automatic transmission during ski trips and averaged 31 to 32 mpg. I wonder if I can get 40mpg with the Accord if I drove at 55 to 60mph.

I have a 2006 Accord, which has EPA number 4 MPG higher than your dad's (assuming his is a 4-cyl auto like mine), and I've gotten over 40 MPG twice in 15,000 miles of driving. Once, it was 41 MPG! (No revving to pass, 72 MPH cruise, no A/C on, 50 or 60 degrees outside, only me in car)Remember, the new Accords run at lower RPMs on the freeway than the older one because of the 5-speed Auto (2,000 RPM vs. about 2,300) so that boosts mileage too. I don't know that the 2000 model would see 40 MPG, but mid-upper 30s is probably reachable.
  • Options
    kkesskkess Member Posts: 3
    I have a Honda Fit Sport Automatic. And most of my trips are very short - probably around 5 or 6 miles. So I would qualify for around 90% probably city driving. When I do drive more freeway, I do see better gas mileage, but still not what I expected. I'm not a quick start type of driver either, and for the most part I think my RPM's are below 3000. I do drive in a colder climate, which I heard can make a difference. Currently I have around 1,500 miles on the car, so maybe I'm still in the break in period, but I still have read other reports of people getting in the mid thirty's to low 40's even early on. Does anyone have any thoughts, or is my below mileage somewhat normal?

Thanks, Kevin

Fill Date-- Miles Driven-- Gallons Pumped-- MPG
    11/22/2006-- 252.2-- 9.22 -- 27.35357918
    12/1/2006-- 294.5-- 9.376 -- 31.40998294
    12/7/2006-- 273.9-- 8.963 -- 30.55896463
    12/29/2006-- 240-- 8.955 -- 26.80067002
    1/6/2007-- 274.8-- 8.458 -- 32.48995034
    1/14/2007-- 190-- 6.97 -- 27.25968436
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Let's see... 90% city driving (probably a lot of stops and idling); short trips (no time for engine to warm up); cold weather (engine takes longer to warm up); engine is new; probably using E10 gas (lower fuel economy)... and you are averaging roughly 30 mpg overall. I'd say that's pretty good!
  • Options
    I believe the EPA rating for the Fit Auto is 31/37 city/highway, so if you're averaging 30mpg with your type of driving conditions, I'd also say that's not bad.
  • Options
    rsm333rsm333 Member Posts: 29
    I have 1329 miles on my SP Auto and I am consistently (I’ve just done my second round trip) getting 32+ mpg on the 250 mile, hilly, mostly highway trip from my home in Humboldt County to San Francisco. My speeds range from 60-80 mph with most of the trip at around 70. I can live with this. In local driving, I am getting just over 27 mpg.
    I changed from the OEM Dunlop tires to Kumho Ecsta SPTs (same size as the original equipment tires). The Kumhos make a significant difference in the way the car handles. When pushed, the soft sidewall Dunlops felt like they were rolling off the rims. Now the Fit does handle like a go-kart. Wet weather capability is particularly important here on the Redwood Coast and the Kumhos have taken most of the drama out of driving in the rain.
  • Options
    Based on the fact that you changed the tires to make the handling more sporty, I'm guessing that your driving style is geared more towards fun than for max MPG!
  • Options
    wulybugrwulybugr Member Posts: 19
    Re kkess/rsm333
    Re post 797. Your milage is not that bad. I think we all are in a "syndrome" where we are being extremely critical on MPG for our Fits. I am extremely happy with my mpg, and have almost 8000 miles on my Sport/auto/
    As long as I try to keep RPM's below 3000, and my cruising RPM's at 2400 to 2600, easy on the jump starts, and 40 PSI in my tires, It is great. Remember the computer constantly re programs to give you the best operating effiency based on the type of driving you are doing.
    If you take short trips, ecomomy will suffer. On the other hand, consistent road trips program you for really great economy. This car is so much fun to drive, it is easy to push it past the limits of good fuel economy. Out counter parts in the rest of the world are paying $5 per gallon of gas, they constantly remeber to drive for economy!
  • Options
    jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    This car is so much fun to drive, it is easy to push it past the limits of good fuel economy. Out counter parts in the rest of the world are paying $5 per gallon of gas, they constantly remeber to drive for economy!

But wasn't the American Fit engine made more "sporty" than the original Japanese 1.3, and isn't it tuned for sport not thrift?
  • Options
    I expect your post is tongue-in-cheek.

However, Sad as it may be, most folks probably believe they can drive the economy based Fit any way they wish and still get the mileage posted on the window. They don't realize those numbers are averages. The drivers with lead feet will get worse and the drivers with economy skills will get better.

I believe the larger "American" engine is there to help keep up with American traffic. Most of us don't know how to drive for economy. So we accelerate fast from stops, drive at high speeds on the road, tailgate, and accelerate right up to stop signs. Then we wonder why our mileage is not where we think it should be! :sick:

Kip
  • Options
    jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    Actually, no, I wasn't joking. I read a great article on Fit's vtec engine which indicated the engine was redesigned mid-stream to be "sportier" and less fuel-efficient. Just because the Fit's more fuel-efficient than many autos doesn't mean it was designed to be a gas miser.

From the article:
    "The original L13A Fit / Jazz attracted many enthusiasts and consequently there have been calls to Honda for a sportier model, one more tuned for performance rather than utility and economy like the original 1.3l Fit/J">azz. Japanese magazines, especially the very popular BEST MOTORing and Hot Version led the way with very 'powerful' reviewers like Keiichi 'Drift King' Tsuchiya and Akihiko Nakaya pushing Honda for a Fit Type-R.

Honda responded with the Fit 1.5 VTEC. This comes with the 1.5l L15A-VTEC which generates almost 30% more power than the original L13A engine. This type comes with either a CVT-7 or a 5MT gearbox option and Honda spec'ed and tuned the whole car around a much more sportier theme."
  • Options
    "The original L13A Fit / Jazz attracted many enthusiasts and consequently there have been calls to Honda for a sportier model, one more tuned for performance rather than utility and economy like the original 1.3l Fit/J">azz."

Good point! Thanks!

Key word there is enthusiasts!

Even at that, the car is capable of very good mileage when driven by the economy enthusiasts.

Not so good when driven by the lead foot enthusiasts. :)

It would seem the the larger more powerful Civic engine would perform even better and get at or near the same mileage as the 1.5 Fit. The Civic 1.8 has some fairly high mpg numbers. Also there are some good HP variations with the 1.8 liter!

Kip
  • Options
    I actually like the fact that if I want the Fit to get high MPG for long road trips, for example, I know that I can get 40mpg with it. Highway trips can be boring at 65 or 75mph, so I might as well go 65 and get 40mpg then go 75 and get 35mpg (unless I really need to get to my destination earlier).

On the other hand, if I want to use the sporty aspects of the car, then the car is capable of that too. I like having both, unlike the Corolla, for example, which is purely economy, or the Mazda 3 which is more sporty. The Fit give the best of both.
  • Options
    :) I agree! Sometimes I just have to go a bit faster on a real curvey road or let the engine red line, just to hear it do so.

I posted earlier on the Pilot forum concerning fuel economy for a trip to Myrtle Beach. 18+ mpg going and 27+ coming back. Main differences were speeds of 80++ going and posted limits on the return. Use of AC and cruise were also slightly different.

As you say, might as well do the 65mph thing and get the best mpg. Or be prepared to pay at the pump for the more aggressive "Entertainment"! :blush:

I still wonder how the Civic engine would do in a fit.

Fit:..............Civic:
    2500#.........2700-2800#
    31-38mpg...30-40mpg
    109 HP.......140 hp
    105 tq.........128 tq

Kip
  • Options
    I think the boxy shape of the Fit really hurt it's highway MPG as compared to the Civic. But then if the Fit was as low and rounded as the Civic, you wouldn't get that versatile interior.
  • Options
    I agree the boxy shape does hurt.

However the more torque of a larger engine may be better able to handle the extra drag of the "Box" at higher speeds. From what I remember the V6 RAV 4 is rated real close to the I4 on the road but 2-3 less city.

The Honda 1.8 does well with the heavier Civic. I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that it would do at least as well as the 1.5 in the lighter Fit. It would definitely be more of a fun factor.

However Honda doesn't consult me! :cry:

Kip
  • Options
    bayoujaybayoujay Member Posts: 24
    As I posted earlier, my mileage driving 100% city has been somewhat disappointing (23-26 mpg), but on the highway I do like getting around 37-40 mpg driving 65-70 mph. I would like to hear if other 100% city drivers are getting mid/low 20s with a light foot. (For me, the first half tank is usually only good for 110-120 miles.)
  • Options
    We get around 27mpg with repeated short trips. No sitting in traffic or extensive idleing. In LA I would expect it to be worse. There is no getting around it. Typically on the regular mountainous commute my wife drives our Sport auto Fit returns around 36 mpg.
  • Options
    ssmfitatssmfitat Member Posts: 1
    I have a Sport AT with 1100 miles and the last tank, 100% local driving, 20-30 MPH, all short strips, lots of cold starts, snow and ice on the road, got 30. The tank before that got 35 MPG with approx. 50% local and 50% highway, 60 MPH.
  • Options
    I got 31mpg at my last fillup and it was about 50/50 highway/subarb stop&go traffic. On the highway I can get nearly 40mpg if I keep the speeds under 70mph on cruise. I can believe that if you're driving "real" city driving (as compared to my subarb driving) that the mpg can be in the mid 20's.

Although not scientific, I looked on fueleconomy.com and for a 2005 Toyota automatic transmission EPA rated at 30/38mpg, people's ranges were from 26-37mpg with of course the lower mpg for those reporting more city driving. For the 2006 Honda Civic auto transmissio, the range was from 22-40mpg, again with the folks reporting more city miles getting in the mid-20's mpg.

So I'd say the Fit's range is pretty normal.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've got to figure up my overall mileage - haven't done it in months (our average has been running in the 36 range for a mostly highway and mountainous commute). Now that we've got the car back (picked it up today - new bumper, radiator, oil pan, fog light etc.) and I'll see this weekend whether the accident will have affected the gas mileage any (going to Vegas).
  • Options
    cindyjcindyj Member Posts: 7
    I am happy to find a forum about this because I certainly do feel unhappy with the gas mileage I have been getting on my honda fit sport automatic. My last car was a 94 subaru wagon-quite a bit larger than the fit, and I consistently got 30 mpg. We are a family of four and were willing to try to reduce the size of the car for the perceived significant increase in gas mileage. My thinking was that I got BETTER mpg than advertised with my subaru, I should at least get in the high range of the mpg advertised for the Fit. Note that we do mostly highway driving.
    The car now has 6200 miles on it and the mileage is not getting better. In general we get 31, once we got 34, and a couple of times we got 29. I have really babied the throttle in order to try and coax out higher mpg, but it has not worked. I would love this car if it was not for the gas mileage.
    I wonder if there is any recourse for this type of "problem". I know the mileage on the window sticker is not always the actual mileage, but I sure wish it was closer.
  • Options
    If you're doing highway miles and you're still only getting in the low 30's, I'd say either something is wrong, or you're driving 75+mph on the highway. I'm able to get nearly 40mpg on 100% highway trips if I keep the speed under 70mph.

Remember that the EPA estimates for the Fit automatic are 31/37 city/highway, so that's about 34mpg average. If you're averaging 31mpg it might be because of the cold weather, tire pressure (I keep mine at 35psi), gas additives in the winter, etc.

What was the EPA estimates for your '94 Subaru wagon that you averaged 30mpg with?

If you're really not happy with it, you could always sell it. It's so hot you could almost get what you paid for it less the tax.
  • Options
    Cindy, There is a wealth of knowledge on this particular forum dealing with your particular problem. How too and why not.

Bobw3 already named a few. You can add to that the terrain you drive in, your use of cruise control, your driving habits, ILP done or not.

I can get almost as good mileage in our Pilot as my wife does in her CR-V, because of her lead foot.

I suggest that you curl up with your computer and read all the post. You are certain to learn a lot. :)

Kip
  • Options
    I'm interested in the fact that you keep your tires at 40 PSI. A friend recently told me if I pumped my tires up a bit, I'd get better gas mileage.

How does this affect the tires? I'm wondering if other drivers on the Forum do the same.

Thanks,
    Suzecruise :)
  • Options
    After heeding much of the advice I received here I am happy to say that my mpg has improved with my last 2 fill-ups. I anticipate that this trend will continue as the computer in my car adjusts to my new driving techniques. Overall I have increased my mgp by almost 6 mpg. The most significant thing I have done was to keep my rpm under 3K. I have been very careful not to punch the gas after a full stop, cruising downhill, and coasting to full stops.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the type of gas additives and their effect on mpg. Is there any way to find out what is in the gas I purchase? I cannot seem to find gas without 10% ethanol here in the Pittsburgh area.

Thank you again for your helpful advice. :)

Jen
  • Options
    dgecho1dgecho1 Member Posts: 49
    The best I have been able to get for a whole tank in the fit was 480 miles...abot 20% of this was slow speed city stop-and-go in the keys or in miami on the return part of the trip...but also much of the keys hiway is 45-55 speed limits so I guess this is the real reason...prior to this about 400-420 about 40-41 mpg] was the typical 'primarily hiway' trip mileage I have gotten. City mileage can be around 30-32 but can also easily be less with lots of stop and go. I aggressively use coasting coming up to stops, find good acceleration for most merging or other situations at 2500-3000 rpms, keep tires@35-39 psi [40 was TOO rough of a ride and a little hard to control], keep the hiway cruising @2500 rpm or less [65-68 mph],etc.
    Overall a nice car but really wonder of it is THAT much better than the old echo I had before [ALWAYS in the mid 40 mpg range@65-68 mph] ....'03 civic I had would always be 42-43 mpg @65-68 mph also..much longger wheelbase, more comfortable,etc...kind of disappointed with some aspects of this car as you can tell. :(
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Just figured up my overall mpg since I bought the car in April. It will be interesting to see if the mileage will be different since it got crunched by the bicycle. The mileage is mostly highway, some slow-n-go (Los Angeles freeways at rush hour) and some high speed (numerous trips from Frazier Park to Vegas). Not much city driving (though some horrendous traffic jams!). Lots of serious mountain driving (live at around 6,000 feet, work at sea level). There are several tanks of gas that never got written down.

Miles: 32515.2 (the odo actually has over 33,000 miles on it)
    Gas: 901.72
    overall mpg: 36.059

Its great to have it back - for the last 3 weeks we've been driving a vehicle that gets around 17 mpg at the best of times. I'm still a happy camper!