Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    Do you mean E15 ethanol? I don't think any Honda engines can use E85.
  • Options
    jrlncjrlnc Member Posts: 48
    Yes, I mean E15 - 15% ethanol, 85% gasoline.
  • Options
    havingafithavingafit Member Posts: 22
    I don't think I've been to Home Depot in the past few weeks...and I haven't seen any other Fits here. I do finally know someone who is getting one, once it comes in! My Fit will finally have a friend! I get my gas from Quality Mart and use the 87 octane regular. I had my tires checked a couple of weeks ago because I had a slow leak in one...had picked up a screw in my tire somewhere...they checked the pressure in all tires, but I don't know what pressure they checked for. I'll check on that one. My driving is probably 60/40 city/hwy. I have about 1550 miles on my car. I'll give the dealership a call this week just to see what they think. Thanks for your insight. I'll keep my eye out for a blue Fit! :D
  • Options
    vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    My FIT Sport AT now has 3950 miles.

Latest mpg figures:

All city: 32.6 mpg
    All hwy: 38.9 mpg

Took it for it's first oil change. Dealer said it was not needed because indicator stated 60%! They said they would change it if I wanted. Anyone changed their oil yet? What did the indicator show % wise?
  • Options
    Honda insists that you NOT perform your first oil change early. The first oil fill by Honda supposedly has a high Molybdenum content which helps break-in your engine properly and ensure a long engine life. I'm surprised that the dealer did not warn you about it.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'm starting to think about getting an oil change soon - my indicator is (at least it was this weekend) at 30%. I decided not to get a change at the usual 3,000 miles - the owners manual was really adamant about not getting it changed early.
  • Options
    Here are the details:

Miles: 323.9 MILES
    Gals: 8.771GALLONS
    -------------------
    36.929 MPG

Driving Mix: 50/50 City/Hwy
    A/C use: 100% of the time
    Honda Fit Sport m/t

TO DATE FIGURES
    Miles: 1871.7 MILES
    Gals: 51.594 GALLONS
    -------------------
    36.277 MPG

I'm now very pleased with this car. I know that with my kind of driving that it exceeds its EPA ratings.

One funny thing is that my MPG seems to be going up! This is even though I now use the a/c 100% and I'm having a lot more fun with accelerating on curvy roads (within reason of course).

Also it may just be my perception, but the car is driving smoother than when I first brought it home from the dealership. Not that it was ever rough or unrefined, it just seems to shift and accelerate more smoothly than before. Maybe I'm just learning to drive it better!

I will post new pictures (with details) this weekend after I get my deluxe window tint job done. Please stay tuned!
  • Options
    Finally got around to figuring up my overall mpg.

Total miles: 7097.8
    Total gallons: 196.077
    average mpg: 36.199

My overall average has dropped some. Part of it is probably due to our spring winds (the Fit is somewhat sensitive to wind, but not overly so), some of it is the number of trips I've had recently where it's been full of stuff. I figured out that extra weight makes a significant difference, and that what I lose going uphill is not made up by what I save going downhill.

I'm still very happy with the Fit, its done everything I've asked it to do.
  • Options
    ramoramo Member Posts: 66
    Our AT Fit, LX, now has 2445 miles, and 70% oil life. Last tank, we got 29.8 mi/US gallon. I thought this was low, but then, remembered that we had 550 lbs. of passengers to haul. Maybe not so fit! ;)
    Hopefully we can improve. This last tank represented about 20% city driving, with some moderately hilly routes.
  • Options
    carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Filled up tonight. 312.7 miles, 9.477 gallons of gas. 32.99 MPG, 30percent highway, 70 percent city. Black Sport MT.
  • Options
    Here are the details:

Miles: 348.3 MILES
    Gals: 9.758 GALLONS
    -------------------
    35.694 MPG

Driving Mix: 60/40 City/Hwy
    A/C use: 100% of the time
    Honda Fit Sport m/t

TO DATE FIGURES
    Miles: 2220.0 MILES
    Gals: 61.352 GALLONS
    -------------------
    36.185 MPG

I am really surprised at how consistently my Fit is averaging ~36 MPG. No tank has been worse than 34.4 MPG. (after 8 fillups) This time there was a lot more stop-and-go city driving and idling in heavy traffic with the a/c running and a little less highway driving. I am also not babying it anymore and I'm accelerating faster onto interstates and from stops.

There are 3 factors that could improve my gas mileage a little more:

1) Once the engine is truly broken-in (at 10k or so)
    2) Once I do my first oil change and switch to Mobil One
    3) Later I may bump my tire pressure up just a bit more

I really love this car for its fuel efficiency!
  • Options
    lcomplexlcomplex Member Posts: 17
    Hi fellow Fit Owners,

I have read a lot of stories about the MPG that you guys are getting - and you guys are getting great MPG overall! I have a Fit Sport Automatic (got it last week) and have about 210 miles on it. The problem is - it's almost close to pointing the "E" in the fuel gauge. I figure that this tank of gas will only give me another 30 miles or so (which was filled up at the time of purchase the car at the dealership). I know the gas mailage will improve as the car gets more broken it, but that's only 24 MPG - really low! Not even close at the stated 31 city / 38 FWY EPA rating... Is anyone experiencing the same situation with their first tank of gas? I have driven about 50% city and 50% fwy with very very little AC on...

I do get over 3000 RPM often when I accelerate (hard not to in Cali with tons of cars behind you), but not at a constant rate.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

-A worried and anxious new Fit owner
  • Options
    I had the same problem when I got my FIT. The dealer "did not give you a FULL tank of gas"! Actually I realized there was a problem after the first 75 miles when I was already at 1/2 tank. My figures indicated less then 20mpg on that tank. I filled it up and my next tank gave me 41.75 mpg, all highway. Lately I average 32.5mpg in town and 38-39 mpg on the road. My Fit is a Sport Automatic with nearly 4000 miles already. I love it!!
  • Options
    els2023els2023 Member Posts: 29
    Sup my Fit Fam,

How do you calculate MPG on our Fits?
  • Options
    carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Divide miles driven by the amount of gallons put in. If you drive 300 miles, and put in 8.8 gallons of gas you would divide 300 by 8.8 which would equal 34.09 mpg.
  • Options
    charlie22charlie22 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced an'86 Civic Si(the best car I've ever owned)with a Fit.A 20-year more modern version of my Si,right? Wrong.
    This car's top speed in 4th gear(5200RPM) is 101; top in 5th is all of 83.Really. Feul economy is mediocre as well(29 combined).
    Question:does my car have an engine/computer problem or is this the unfortunate norm? My sincere hope is that my car has an easily correctable problem.
    Thanks much,
    charlie
  • Options
    fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    For MPG, it's best for YOU to fill up your tank until the pump shuts off, then note the miles on the car. Drive it until it's near empty, fill it back up until the pump shuts off, and note how many gallons you put in. The note the miles on the car. You'll have the gallons used and the number of miles you've driven on those gallons.

FWIW, I got up to 80 mph yesterday with the AC on, and was still just under 3000rpm (AT). For freeway drivers, I think the AT might get better mpg than the manual.
  • Options
    "A 20-year more modern version of my Si,right?"

:confuse: :sick:

The Fit was never designed to be an Si. It was designed for Honda to have a proper small car for the Japanese market (which it excelled at) and to basically save Honda in Europe...again which it played a huge role in. Then Honda began to sell it globally.

You actually measured 101 mph in 4th gear? I'm not surprised you are getting 29 mpg with that kind of driving. My Fit is fun to drive and it has done everything I wanted it to do very well. Of course that hasn't included treating it like a Civic Si or abusing the engine by driving at "top speed" in 4th gear.

Your problem is not with the car...
  • Options
    Well, I'm relieved to finally hear someone else who is not getting these wonderful mpg's (although I hate it for you!). I have over 2000 miles on my car now and still have yet to have reached the 30 mpg mark! Mine is also an AT Sport. :mad:
  • Options
    My first tank of gas worked out to 30 mpg, but my overall average for over 6,000 miles is 36 (mostly SoCal/Los Angeles freeways). I don't think the dealer gave me a full tank either, or else whoever drove it from Riverside to West Los Angeles where I picked it up didn't lose any time.

If you can stand driving 65 on the I-15 between LA and Vegas, try it with a tailwind sometime. My mileage for one trip was completely outrageous so I assumed it wasn't a full tank and averaged it with the return trip (total miles for divided by total gallons put in) and it still came out to 42 mpg!

My Fit is definitely sensitive to changes, though. I've had some tanks that worked out to 29 and 30 mpg and others that worked out to 40 or more, so don't get too concerned just yet.

I use 87 octane, and normally fill up at either an Arco station or the Flying J, whichever is cheaper.
  • Options
    gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Well, I'm relieved to finally hear someone else who is not getting these wonderful mpg's (although I hate it for you!). I have over 2000 miles on my car now and still have yet to have reached the 30 mpg mark! Mine is also an AT Sport.

I've got a sport as well and will pretty much get the 37mpg on the highway, but it seems like the fuel needle drops fster when the wife goes back and forth to work 4 times a day which is not very far at all (couple of miles maybe.) I think it's the starting of the engine on these repeated short trips, because otherwise it does pretty well when driven on long hauls. Doesn't bother me, just thought I'd mention it.
  • Options
    earthearth Member Posts: 76
    My new civic coupe EX with Nav gets 26 mpg in city driving only, never highway, and no hard driving. Has about 3000 miles on it now, but with just the first couple of fill ups I was getting about 25.3 mpg. Up a little. Fit does not seem that great over the civic, which is much heavier, and a more powerful power plant. I hope the new Hybrid Fit will do much better, and have all those things, like dead pedal, seat height adjustment, center arm rest, and headlights that actually point out further on the next model.

Good luck with your Fits, and try not to have a fit about the gas mileage
  • Options
    waltwaltwaltwalt Member Posts: 1
    27MPG on Auto Sport Fit, using pedal shifters to race around the city and punching it whenever I can, not bad, next tank I will try to drive normal and see what mileage I get in Houston, Texas.
  • Options
    fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    The civic should be getting better mileage than that. The coupe is rated at 30/40mpg.

maybe it's driving habits, or road conditions, or tire pressure, or bad gas or something.
  • Options
    I hope you are right, vcarreras... :(

my tank pointed at the middle around 110-120 miles...

I can't believe the dealer is so shady and cheap...
  • Options
    charlie22charlie22 Member Posts: 2
    Uh huh.
  • Options
    hey mtngal, I think we live in the same area

so you say you have been getting very good MPG with Arco's 87 octane?

I am a bit hesitated using Arco's gas, but if it works for your Fit, maybe I should give it a try

Anyone else using 87 all the way since you have got your new Fit?
  • Options
    hey gearhead1, I do a lot of short trips too...does it really affect the MPG a lot?

But you said you still got around 37MPG with a lot of short trips? Please verify, thanks!
  • Options
    hey gearhead1, I do a lot of short trips too...does it really affect the MPG a lot?

But you said you still got around 37MPG with a lot of short trips? Please verify, thanks!

My last fill up was around 32mpg. I had another one at 26mpg, but I was really pushing it with the paddles shiftint at 4-5000rpms. I just notice the needle seems to drop faster with my wife's short commute 4 times a day. I haven't filled up again so I can't say. your doing good in the Fit if the needle lands on the halfway mark and you have 200 miles on the trip meter.

I think you can have a pretty good ball park estimate as you drive just by watching the needle location and the miles on the trip meter. The halfway mark is 5.4 gallons used and 3/4 mark is about 2.7 gallons used. You can pretty much ball park a fairly accurate mpg just knowing that, and dividing it by the miles on the trip meter without having to wait till your next fill up.
  • Options
    kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    I know the gas mailage will improve as the car gets more broken it, but that's only 24 MPG - really low! Not even close at the stated 31 city / 38 FWY EPA rating

Surprise yourself. I bet you once you get a fill up after you add those 30 miles and the gas you put in will be in the 8 gallon range so worse is 30mpg not 24mpg.
  • Options
    We may live in the same area - I live in Frazier Park and work in West L.A. Most of my driving is the I-405 and I-5 (Sepulveda, Newhall passes and the Grapevine) every day. No short trips for me since it's 40-50 miles to anything bigger than a small (but nice) market. My office is very close to the freeway, so I don't have to do much city driving. Yesterday we had one of the 30 mpg tanks, but we went to Costco and then drove across the Santa Clarita valley on Soledad Canyon to get to the I-5, then drove (more or less) 70 mph up the Grapevine, which is faster than normal (normally do 65, but wanted to catch the second period of the Edmonton-Carolina game) and it was windy (not uncommon for the Grapevine). All of those contribute to lower mileage. If all I do is drive to work and back, plus an occasional shopping trip to Bakersfield, I get 36 or more consistantly. Add in a couple of trips to Vegas and back (at 65-70) where I've gotten well over 40, and I'm a really happy camper.

For mileage, this car really shines on the highway. If you want outstanding mileage in the city, you'd do better with a hybrid.
  • Options
    Hey vcarreras, what was shown on your fuel gauge when you drove your Fit off the lot though? Was it pointing at "F"?

Mine was pointing at "F" so I thought my Fit was given a full tank of gas...
  • Options
    kagedude, I haven't filled up my tank yet and I hope you are right about the 8 gallons. Otherwise this car might be a lemon...

UPDATE: I just got off work and the low fuel warning light comes on at only 220 miles with my first tank from dealer!

I will fill it up later and see if it's gonna be 8 gallons like you said...if it's 9 or 10 then my mpg would only be around 23.5 to 25.5, which is totally unacceptable which such normal driving...I haven't even fully try out the car at 4-5K RPM yet :mad:
  • Options
    the sad thing is - the needle pointed at the middle @ only a bit over 110 miles...sounds awful, doesn't it?

I did drive off the lot with the needle point at F
  • Options
    Yes it was pointing to "F". However that doesn't mean it was totally full. I have noticed that it takes 50-60 miles to drop from the "F" after each fillup. Because it indicated "F" when you picked up the car does not mean it was full. I bet another 1-2 gallons could have been placed in that tank meaning an extra 40-80 miles at 40 mpg.
  • Options
    On the issue of Arco gas - I've used it for years in various vehicles and it never seemed to make much difference with gas mileage. It's always seemed to me that it made absolutely no difference where I filled up, and we put a huge number of miles on our vehicles. However, most of the time recently I've been driving Wranglers, which get terrible mileage no matter what.

But now that you mention it, when we first got the Fit we were using Flying J almost exclusively, because that was the cheapest for us (they have a loyalty card where you get extra off the price). Recently Arco has been cheaper so we've been filling up there. And recently we've had individual tanks that have been lower than expected (though as I've stated, there have been a number of other factors to account for it). Now I'm wondering if it is the Arco gas - yesterday traffic was terrible on the Westside, and the winds on the Grapevine were stronger than any time since we bought the Fit, but my mileage was higher than I had expected (based on the previous couple of tanks). Guess where we got gas yesterday - Flying J instead of Arco. Now I'm wondering if it really DOES make a difference in the mileage!
  • Options
    earthearth Member Posts: 76
    The civic should be getting better mileage than that. The coupe is rated at 30/40mpg.

maybe it's driving habits, or road conditions, or tire pressure, or bad gas or something.
    ---------------------------------------
    No bad driving habits, just stop and go Florida traffice lights and at first I was getting just 25 mpg, and now its up to about 26 mpg after about 3000 miles on the OD.... Many others are getting about the same. No highway driving for me at this point
  • Options
    amazinglyfitamazinglyfit Member Posts: 9
    We have a Sport A/T. Just filled up for the first time today. 340 miles, 8.845 galllons of gas, 38.4 mpg. This was 10% in town, 65% freeway, 25% secondary roads. Amazing. How does Honda do it?
  • Options
    chuck12chuck12 Member Posts: 13
    I am in Dallas and I average 27 - 29 in mostly City driving in my Blue AT Sport. I am driving mostly more conservatively but occasionally have some fun with the paddle shifters. Many short trips for errands seems to kill the mpg. Went on a 250 mile road trip and got 33.2 mpg in about 85% highway. Car has about 2K miles on it so it is not fully broken in yet.
  • Options
    Have a Sport AT/paddles and just filled it up and got 27mpg mostly in town and used paddles a bit.
  • Options
    I'm really puzzled by your gas mileage and that of a few others. There seems to be a certain group with a/t Fits who are getting really mediocre mileage.

I know that you're using ethanol gas which can affect it somewhat (~3 MPG) and your a/t (~2 MPG). Even that would put you at 32-35 MPG if you weren't a/t and using ethanol.

I have been easily averaging 36-37 and can't seem to make my mileage go any lower. For example on the last 2 tanks I have been having a lot of fun with the Fit. Even though it's no race car, I've noticed that I'm pulling away from stops way faster than most other people. I run the a/c constantly and I'm driving around town more than 50% now. Even with that my fillup today I got 35.096 MPG.

I'm going to go back to driving normally on this new tank. As usual I'll see it shoot back up again. I have not yet had a tank of 100% highway drving to really test it. My highest ever was 39.313 and lowest ever was 34.2 MPG.

By the way I have a Blue Sport Fit with m/t.
  • Options
    johnnyb11johnnyb11 Member Posts: 50
    I don't beat on my car, use a/c occasionally, keep tires at 35 psi cold, and yet I too often get 30 average, ranging from 28, to 36 at most. I have over 3k miles on my sport mt. I am in upstate NY. I am frustrated seeing people getting 38 plus. I really love this car, and am glad to be geting avg. 30 mpg, but had really hoped to at least average at the bottom of the epa estimates - 33 mpg. Oh well. I am going to try mobil 1 at my first oil change, and as soon as K&N makes a filter for the Fit i'll get that. maybe those two things will help move me toward avg 33.
  • Options
    I have been noticing the same thing, although my highest mileage is not quite as spectacular as 38-39. I have been getting 35 regularly (Storm Silver base 5MT) despite the fact that after 1000 miles I became quite bored with the conservative driving. I have gone back to my usual more spirited driving style. :)

However, with this last fill up I was sure I was going to get terrible mileage...mostly city and stop/go, lots of A/C use, and plenty of higher rpm shifts. No! I still managed 34 and I have been using the same pump at the same gas station for almost all of my tanks.
  • Options
    fittasticfittastic Member Posts: 18
    Got the car (white, base, MT) Thursday with 95 miles on it and a full tank of gas... 355 miles later, I had to fill 'er up with 9.2 gallons of gas. If my math is correct, I got 38.6 miles to the gallon and I drove a good mixture of city/hwy driving. I adore this car!
  • Options
    sfinstersfinster Member Posts: 17
    I always use 87 octane. I drive 80% highway, and I'm averaging 37+ mpg overall. I have a Sport mt.

But we don't have Arco stations. I buy where gas is the cheapest: Speedway, Marathon, BP, Kroger, Meijer, Swifty.
  • Options
    sfinstersfinster Member Posts: 17
    I thought I got a full tank of gas when I drove off the dealer lot, too. My first fillup I calculated 29.5 mpg.

Ever since then, the lowest I've gotten is 35mpg, and those are the two tanks when I was giving my daughter lessons in driving a manual transmission. The difference is that when I fill up until the pump shuts off, the needle on the gauge is beyond the F. I can get 50-60 miles before the needle's down to just pointing at the F.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to not like you very much! I am quite jealous over your mileage and am still hoping that one of these days my car will grow into a 32-38 mpg car! (I don't really dislike you! ;) )
  • Options
    magoosh1magoosh1 Member Posts: 13
    jrlnc--

I am very puzzled about the batch of AT Fit's that are getting medicore MPG. I am so worried in fact that I am now thinking of getting an 06 or 07 Civic LX-AT instead of a AT-S Fit. I have a 99 Civic VP and get 37-38 MPG driving 80% hwy/20% city. I would like to go up in MPG, not down. On fitfreak.net, people have been saying the same thing about AT Fit's and their MPG.

Is anybody else worried like me?
  • Options
    arlesarles Member Posts: 15
    My automatic Fit Sport gets about 37 mpg on the highway when going the speed limit of 70 and not using the airconditioner. However, when I have been doing mainly city driving and have the airconditioner on most of the time, it is in the low 30's.
  • Options
    johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    I'm not too worried.

I'd guess that the poor mpg results of some (poor for the Fit is around 30 mpg) is some combo of the engine not being broken in yet, a great deal of city driving, a great deal of high-speed (80+ mph) hwy driving, and/or ethanol gas blend usage.

I think almost everyone whose driving doesn't 'fit' (sorry, no pun intended) into one or more of the above situations has been getting mileage in the mid- to high- 30s. :)