Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• Nobody talk about the resale value of these 3 cars. I believe after a few years late, the Malibu will have the lowest resale value among these 3.
  • Obviously, the Malibu is going to have the worst resale value. BUT, if GM keeps going the way they are I think that's going to change. The new Caddy CTS was named Motor Trends Car of the Year, the Silverado had Truck of the Year in 07. The Saturn Aura was the North American Car of the Year in 07, and I really think the the Malibu is going to take that award this year, we won't know until the end of this month though. GM is on a huge turn-around and it is really showing right now. I've sat in several new GM products in the past few months, and I'm completely blown away by the quality that is FINALLY going into their vehicles. Especially the new Silverado and the new Malibu. I just think that its going to take a few years for this movement to filter down the line. The interiors are also amazing, they no longer look like they are from the stone age. Everything is built nice and tight and looks much more exspensive that what it really is, with very minimal gaps inside and out. One thing that I really don't like with the new Accord or the Camry is that they are both extremely boring looking on the inside. It reminds me of crawling into a dark cave. I don't care for all the cheesy looking "brushed aluminum" stuff either. The Malibu offers all kinds of different interior color combinations...its called having some flare. If I had to choose between the three, I would choose the Malibu LTZ. Out the door with a fully loaded Malibu is gonna set ya back about 28 big ones. That's about 2-2.5K cheaper than the other two, which makes up for the depreciation I think. Another thing to consider is that the Malibu has the better powertrain warranty. Only spot that I can see where Chevy screwed up is not offering a "real" nav system. But I guess it has the OnStar with the Turn by Turn Navigation. Honestly, I'm holding my down payment money for the new Pontiac G8. If it drives and goes as good as it looks, I'll buy one! Just my $.02

Aaron
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    With the Accord repeatedly having great resale and a very low number of fleet sales, I believe it will continue to have the best of the three.
  • I am currently looking to replace my SUV with something more fuel efficient. My kids are older...one is driving. I just drove the last of these three a couple nights ago so it has been very interesting to read this thread. I really wanted to like the Malibu...thought it was freakishly quiet in a good way...but I felt crammed in the car and I didn't like my driving position. I make occasional adjustments to my seat while driving and had a hard time performing this in the Malibu. Hey, I'm only a five-four foot woman! The Camry felt like I had just aged about twenty years. I like the Accord best of these three too so I agree with the results.

That said I am leaning heavily toward a Prius! I did not think I would like it but drove it anyway. Seems I'm willing to trade fun to drive with fun to see how high I can get my mileage.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Just wait for the Accord Diesel. You can get the car you like with 30% better economy.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    What you consider boring as in the case of the Accord I consider classy and high quality and what you consider flare as in the Malibu I consider loud and mediocre. The interior of the Malibu is its weakest link.

By most accounts the Accord is still the better car but it wouldn't surprise me if the Malibu won the North American Car of the Year because to me it's graded on a curve. The Accord is expected to be the top car. Welcome to the forum.
  • They decide arbitrarily to rule out the Altima and the Sonata, and then declare the Accord the best ever.

Yet in ruling out those vehicles they are ruling out very real motivations for buying a family mid-size vehicle:

Sportiness for the soccer daddy car guy (i.e., people who read insideline): Altima wins the day.

Budget-mindedness: A HUGE factor in this segment, and increasingly so when credit and jobs are getting zinged. Sonata is a tremendous value.

Without considering these motivations in buyers for this segment, artificially limiting the comparo to these three vehicles means the test is an interesting intellectual exercised, but ultimately flawed, and lacking in real info for buyers of this segment.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,605
    It's particularly wierd to leave out the Altima when CR has them as the top-rated cars in this class, 2008 Accord included!
  • The reason the Altima wasn't in this comparo was because they wanted to test the two top sellers(Accord,Camry) and the newbie (Malibu). I can tell you that Motor Trend just did a comparison between the Altima, Malibu, Accord and the Camry. These were all fully loaded vehicles with the V-6's. The Altima was the budget leader in this particular test but received fourth place. Motor Trend summed it up with the Altima saying..."winner on track and twisties comes up short for lack of polish and refinement..." The Accord placed third with MT saying "Vast room, attention to detail, and advanced technology can't overcome a few obvious faults" Malibu placing second with MT saying.."Great combination of sport and luxury bettered only by Camry. America's best and segment's best looking" Leaving the Camry taking first and MT said "Finest all-around mix of power, handling, room, and bells and whistles-no wonder it was our 2007 Car of the Year" Pick up a copy of MT if you want to read more. I would still buy a new Malibu just on the looks alone. When it comes to the interior, the Malibu is right up there I think. Not quite up to Accord with the fit and finish, but I don't think that it sticks out like a sore thumb when put side by side. And from what I've read in different magazines, the new Camry has been suffering from jagged mold lines and squeaks and rattles in the interior. Toyota is starting to pump out so many vehicles now they are starting to lose their grip. All they car about right now is overtaking GM, even though they didn't in 07. That's just my personal opionion.

Aaron
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    I immediately eliminate from consideration vehicles that have the gas cap on the wrong side. :)
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    Motor Trend is an embarrassment. Don't know how well the Malibu will do in next month's issue of Consumer Reports but they hinted that it will do very well. I have a hunch their order of these four sedans will be inverted from Motor Trend's list. Just my opinion but I fell the Malibu, Accord and Altima are in a upper echelon from the Camry.
  • Malibu needs a new name, also looks better on tv than in person gas mileage and resale value like Hundai won't cut today. Accords are noisy, but thes are are capable vehicles Toyota seems to lead in durability, reliability. I had a 97 Mailibu just ok no problems lousy trade in valu at Toyota and Honda lots.
  • Unlike the V6 version of this test, I think this comparison of the Chevy Malibu/Honda Accord/Toyota Camry is right on. As a '07 Camry SE owner, purchased last April ... I think edmunds is right at least about the LE trim of the vehicle.

As "Erin" said earlier, "The LE is the quintessential Camry, the one most people buy..." I completely agree. I personally didn't care for the basic styling of the LE trim, and it was the little things that SE added (such as alloy wheels - what a concept, and sharp IMHO body kit) that made me pull for it. The fact that alloy wheels are not standard on the Camry LE's still baffle me. $20,000 for a vehicle and no alloy wheels, give me a break Toyota.

I'm actually surprised the little 2.4L - 158-hp was proved so quick in Edmund's tests, compared to the more potent engines in the Malibu and Accord -- I didn't think it would even compete.

Good review, although I'm certainly not the typical Camry buyer at 23 when I purchased, if the SE trim model didn't exist I wouldn't even have considered it.

Now, almost a year later - the playing field has changed dramatically and the Accord and Malibu look to be excellent cars. I can't argue about the Malibu's interior -- definately better than my Camrys and Accord -- too bad the value of the car will drop like a rock. But the interior of the Malibu does certainly deserve some praise.
  • While others might complain that the SE was missing from these comparisons, I'm not going to argue the point. It's just not worth it at all. I personally think that the LE option was the best choice for this particular comparison between the Malibu and Accord, as it is Toyota's best selling option.

After reading that in Edmunds' 2008 V6 Comparison test that was published about three weeks ago and seeing the car put in last place (which I felt it didn't deserve and needed to test drive the SE version instead of the XLE version) ... I picked up Motor Trend's February 2008 issue to find a comparison test between the Malibu/Accord/Camry/Altima.

To my surprise, especially considering just a few months ago (Oct. 2007 issue) the magazine praised the Accord as the better vehicle over the Camry. However, the Camry won the comparison between the three other cars, with the Malibu, Accord, and Altima coming in at 2,3, and 4 - respectively.

The Camry is not perfect, nor is the Altima, Accord, or Malibu. But it's good to see better competition from the U.S. Like I said in the earlier post, the Malibu's interior looks excellent. Unfortunately, as Edmunds doesn't point out the models that start out around $20,000 or (19,9xx) is rather plain looking with plastic wheel covers, and a pretty generic looking interior.

One thing this review and especially the comparison of V6 family sedans made me realize is that the best thing to do is take them with a grain of salt. Test drive all the cars, and make a decision for yourself. With all four (or three in this case) -- I think either one is a fine choice. Each one has an advantage/disadvantage -- and look through Consumer Reports for any trouble reports and messageboards and you should be fine.

Certain things that have been brought up in this message board is a major consideration for many new buyers is resale value - which the Chevrolet would drop pretty bad, with Honda leading the pack and Toyota coming in second. The entire talk of "if GM keeps making cars like the Malibu, then the resale value will come up..." while true, is non-sense.... people don't purchase a vehicle and take into consideration what the resale value "might" be, if the manufacturer makes better vehicles.

Take the Hyundai brand for instance, I personally think they make terrific looking vehicles and with their warranty and great bargain for those on a budget, especially when you look at what they used to make. However, resale value is still pretty poor, despite great reviews for the Sonata and other vehicles (Santa Fe, Veracruz) -- it still loses a lot of money once it comes to sell it.

Still, all in all -- aside from Consumer Reports which tends to be a no nonsense "here are the facts" review --- take other review with a grain of salt and test drive all the cars in the segment until you find one you're really comfortable with.
  • http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/business-79/1199951959144760- .xml&storylist=business

As Toyota globel sale is almost pass GM, world's biggest auto manf., it looks like the transmission problem does not borther the Camry buyers. Maybe is a isolated problem on small portion of the Camry line; otherwise, nobody will buy the Camry. Don't know why Moter Trend put Camry in Not recommend section while Lexus ES350 which use the same transmission is still in recommend section.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    resale value? A major concern for buyers of accords and camry's because they know the cars are so boring they need to get rid of them soon after buying.
    Listening to my Accord rev to redline sure isn't boring; it's a lot sweeter than the Ecotec 4!
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    resale value? A major concern for buyers of accords and camry's because they know the cars are so boring they need to get rid of them soon after buying.

I'm willing to bet you can't find any facts to back that statement up. My last Accord was with me for 12 years, and my current will probably be with me at least that long.
    so then resale value must be of tiny significance to you yet so many mention it constantly.
    Since he sold his 12 year old Accord for several thousand (was it $5k?) dollars, resale value is worth a lot to elroy.
    That's right, I got $5k for my 12 year old (140k miles) 92 Accord (in better condition than some 2 year old cars). I would like to see you try that with a 12 year old Malibu, no matter how well it had been taken care of. Resale value can mean a lot, even past 10 years.
    I have done better with a camaro. 15 yrs old and got 30% of orig purchase new price. Many cars can be kept nice and get very good resale. Even a 6 cyl MT Camaro.

Why is is so critical to berate the resale value of the Malibu on day 1 of it's existence? Doesn't it have actual hardware flaws that can be degraded instead? Who can show any data one way or the other about resale value?

Is there an argument floating around out there that a better car can be worse due to poor resale value? I think so.
    I have done better with a camaro. 15 yrs old and got 30% of orig purchase new price. Many cars can be kept nice and get very good resale. Even a 6 cyl MT Camaro.

A Camaro and a Malibu are totally different. Depending on the model of Camaro the older cars are many time worth more than a newer model (comparing apples to oranges).

This is the post I was replying to, when I said you don't have to "get rid of them soon". By the way, what makes a Malibu less boring than an Accord? My father has a Malibu, and it is the epitome of boring.
    I don't know but can you tell me why the Accord owners are so concerned with resale value of other car makes if they plan on keeping their Honda cars long term anyway?

If I look to the right on my screen, the Malibu sits at 9.3 and the Accord sits at 9.0. 9.3 must be the new epitome of boring.
    I am not at all concerned with the resale value of a Malibu ( I don't plan to own one). Looking to the right, is not something I put much faith in, considering many of the owners have owned the cars less than a month. Not much to go on, if you ask me. Anyone (even a hater) can write a review for any car. There are some authentic reviews in there, but there are just as many useless reviews and people on a mission to lower a car's score. If you choose to take a chance on the new Malibu, that's fine. I feel confident that I will get what I paid for with the Accord.
  • When people buy a car, they will conside resale value as one of the critirias. The other things they may consider could be price, handling, look, build & finishing, brand and so on. You will not just like the look and buy it without test drive it, right? So, the resale value is an important factor you will consider before you laid down the money, does not matter if you keep the car for couple of years or 10+ years.
  • I'd like to point out that in some states personal property tax or annual tag fees are based on the NADA retail value of the vehicle. A high resale value may cost you more in taxes and fees than you will recoup from the higher resale value, particularly if you keep the car a long time. I live in Missouri which is one of those states.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,259
    >Who can show any data one way or the other about resale value? Is there an argument floating around out there that a better car can be worse due to poor resale value?

A few people feel they can look into the future on resale value. If so, I need some help with my 401K and stock portfolio so that I only hold high return items. :P

Looking into the future based on past value doesn't work for Enron workers who held huge amounts of company stock, e.g. Toyota owners of certain cars with transmission behavior problems and sludging have cars that are down in value. So they bought a car with high resale value but CR downgraded Camry; ooops, sorry about your car value.
  • fd2fd2 Posts: 1
    If I look to the right on my screen, the Malibu sits at 9.3 and the Accord sits at 9.0. 9.3 must be the new epitome of boring.

Hmm...The Malibu has 21 reviews to the Accord's 118 (as of 12:30pm EST, 1/16/08).

I'd be more interested if the Malibu had 118 reviews to the Accord's 118 or the Accord's 21 to the Malibu's 21. Otherwise, you're not exactly comparing Apples-to-Apples, given the fact that the mean average review could either go up or down the more the Malibu and Accord (and Camry, for that matter), are reviewed.
    A few people feel they can look into the future on resale value. If so, I need some help with my 401K and stock portfolio so that I only hold high return items.

I can't look into the future, but I can predict future resale value. I predict the Accord will retain a higher percentage of it's MSRP than the Malibu will. You don't have to agree.

Looking into the future based on past value doesn't work for Enron workers who held huge amounts of company stock, e.g. Toyota owners of certain cars with transmission behavior problems and sludging have cars that are down in value. So they bought a car with high resale value but CR downgraded Camry; ooops, sorry about your car value.

Honda, and Toyota for that matter, are not Enron. I doubt the Camry resale value will take a big hit by this. Why not? Because normal people (who don't spend time on internet forums talking about cars) don't even know about these problems, and will still pay a good price for a used Camry. The Accord has had some problems in the past, but Honda will usually make it right, and keep the customers happy. The percentage of Accords that go to fleet sales is historically low, and I don't see that changing. I would not count on low fleet sales for the Malibu. Fleet sales affect resale values also.
This discussion has been closed.