Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

Comments

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You might try our General Lease Questions discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    oysterpoysterp Member Posts: 3
    my 2003 Honda Civic is clearly a lemon - at 40,000miles, i have had to replace motor mounts, and now a "throttle body positioner" (for 530bucks) - my car stalled out in the middle of a canyon in LA. And i had just had it 's 40K chekcup 4 weeks before. 7 days after the "checkup" my battery died. I have friends with honda that have over 200,000 miles on them and they've never had to replace these parts.
    I am struggling with Honda to pay me back for the repairs. I clearly got a lemon. what do I do? and How do I get them to pay up? ad how do I get another car? i went with Honda because I thought they were great and lasted forever with no problems.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lemon Law Questions is one discussion you may want to post in. Honda Civic Care and Maintenance is another. Good luck!
  • Options
    ericksenericksen Member Posts: 3
    hi, can you guide me to the best group to discuss timing belt issues for the above vehicle ? thanks
  • Options
    I think I'd post in the Subaru Impreza Engine Issues discussion, although you may want to follow the Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions discussion as well.
  • Options
    delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    I have a concern about the methodology that American Honda Financial Services (AHFS) and, perhaps, many more fund providers use to compute lease payments in those instances where the first payment and taxes are capitalized. Basically, I'm concerned about sign and drive leases. Two major concerns are...

(1) Embedding the capitalized first payment in the sell price. This is clearly inappropriate as all capped items, including first payment, should be disclosed as amounts financed (i.e., capitalized) and not embedded or hidden in a previously agreed upon value or selling price. Once determined, the sell price is consecrated ground and should never be changed. Doing otherwise can cause problems like levying sales tax on sales tax which is illegal in Ohio.

(2) In states that treat taxes similar to the treatment given in Ohio, taxes are based on total payments and collected upfront. If the first payment is capitalized in, say, a 36 month lease; American Honda multiplies the tax rate by the monthly payment and that product, in turn, is multiplied by 36 instead of 35. This is inappropriate because the capitalized first payment is captured or annuitized by the remaining 35 payments. I have confirmed this with the State of Ohio's Sales and Use Tax Division. However, in the state of New York, it is perfectly legal to multiply by 36 and compute sales tax on sales tax. Apparently, potential constitutionality issues haven't been addressed or challenged yet.

I have an AHFS Lease Worksheet of a lease originating in Ohio that details these flawed calculations and I would like to post them as well as post the correct methodology. The question is what is the appropriate forum in which to post? After examining all the forums, I can't seem to find one that would be a good fit. It's certainly an interesting issue for all F&I folks as well as consumers that are fans of sign and drive leases.

John
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    awaheedawaheed Member Posts: 2
    Looking for any Honda pilot lease deal experiences in the bay area in the past few weeks and details on the deal you made including Money Factor & Residual and the OTD price
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Try posting in the Honda Pilot Lease Questions discussion.

If you're looking for leasing info, the Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences board is the place to be.
  • Options
    scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    This question should apply to any auto I think. I'm looking at buying a 'new' car, but a 'dealer demo', the car has 7000 miles on it, it's a 2008 Toyota Camery Hybrid. How do I figure what the 7000 miles is worth in terms of $$$ (dollars)? If I offered, on a new car, $27000, what would I offer on a car with 7000 miles on it?

Thanks for any advise.

Scott
  • Options
    ericksenericksen Member Posts: 3
    thanks and will do. great vehicle, but vexing...
  • Options
    trap100trap100 Member Posts: 2
    how do i remove the shift knob on my 2008 dodge nitro r/t
  • Options
    scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    General rule of thumb is 20 cents per mile. Deduct this from the final cost of the car.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The Dodge Nitro discussion would be the place to start.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    danbassdanbass Member Posts: 4
    I have an '89 GMC Jimmy (full size) with a 5.7L V8 TBI engine. It recently began spark-knocking (detonation). The truck has 92,000 miles and I did a tune-up about a year ago. Trying to find other causes of detonation on fuel-injected engines besides a defective knock sensor. Bad EGR? Fuel mix too lean? Can anyone help? Thanks.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You probably want to give one of these discussions a shot:
    Chevy C/K Series Maintenance and Repair
    Older Chevy and GMC (20+ years) C/K Series Engines

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    mickylongmickylong Member Posts: 29
    Would like to get some feedback (as unbiased as possible) on these two cars before making a decision between them. Hesitate to post on either of the specific forums dedicated to one or the other for that reason. Any suggested places for this topic?
  • Options
  • Options
    unclestickunclestick Member Posts: 7
    want info on hi-po /more horse power,for my '99 malibu 3.1 v-6. want feed-back on re-ocurring engine problems too. thanks; rick-st.lo, mo.(also need to find body; grnd/fx too!)
  • Options
    You will probably want to look into Chevrolet Malibu Engine Problems first along with the general Chevrolet Malibu discussion. Then have a look at the numerous topics in the Chevrolet Malibu section.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    donniemdonniem Member Posts: 4
    I bought the truck new and owe roughly $8k. About two years ago I got a promotion that requires me to travel to central and philly area. I live in Cape May Nj and I'm spending between $125-$150 per week for gas.

One of the main reasons I purchased the truck was for my hobby of fishing ect...beach access and towing a small boat. With the new job and little one I dont have time for that anymore.

With that being said I've been in love with the 3rd gen Acura TL's.

My wife and I own three cars...98 VW beetle and 96 Vette. The VW was paid off years ago and she owes about the same as what I owe on the truck. The VW is her daily driver and the Vette just doesnt get used like it once was.

One option I was considering was trading in my truck.

I'm just looking for some advice on what, if anything I should do here.

Thanks
  • Options
    This can be a tough question. You may want to start in the Acura TL - Buy Now or Wait for 4th Generation? discussion and post there.

The Please help me decide between... discussion would be another good place to post.
  • Options
    cbr2cbr2 Member Posts: 1
    In this 2003 grand am with 87000 miles on it and the oil was changed about 300 miles ago and all of a sudden the oil light turns on when the car is put in reverse. It does not throw any codes or a service engine soon light, the oil is still full and looks clean. I do not understand why the light is turning on and why it only comes on when it is in reverse. When put in park neutral drive 1 or 2 it will not come on any suggestions on what to look at would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Try posting your question in Pontiac Grand Am Electrical/Lighting.
  • Options
    steveeb1steveeb1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am currently looking for a new car and the best lease prices. i was wondering if anyone knows about these lease brokers and if they are legit. They seem to have become very popular and i was just wondering if anyone has any experience with one. they claim to have the lowest prices.

thanks
    steve
  • Options
    lee14ulee14u Member Posts: 7
    Any forums related to finding repair parts for the bi-fuel vehicles? Only source I've found to date is A-1 auto in Fresno, CA. There must be others throughout the country. Thanks, LEE
  • Options
    Hi Steve, try asking in Lease Questions - Ask Here.
  • Options
    Besides the discussion you've already been posting in, try CNG Conversion Kits For Other Vehicles?. Or you may want to start a new discussion if the existing discussions are too Honda Civic specific for you.

You may see a link now and then if you follow the 2007 Honda Civic GX blog too - Edmunds is testing a Civic GX in the long term fleet.
  • Options
    vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
    i have a 2005 audi allroad whose lease is expiring at the end of June 08. the car seems to have held up its value pretty well. its a low mileage car with 23k on the odometer. the residual is around 25k and i would like some options and strategies about releasing it. the original msrp was about 44k and it think its blue book is around 28k. also i have a lease protection policy of about $5000 and i am trying to see if i can get this to cover some of the issues with the car or get an allowance for when it is eventually turned in ( the car needs new tires and the bumpers are pretty marked up from living and Parking in NYC). I saw on leasecompare.com Audi may have some pretty attractive lease rates on used audi's. I figure i would have to work with an audi dealer and that could make the car CPO and then lease it back to me.

please provide any information here or direct me to the correct forum.

thanks
  • Options
    You will want to visit Audi A6 Lease Questions. I believe the first generation Quattro Allroad was designated A6 but the new ones (2006+) have the designation C6. They are both covered in our A6 discussions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
    thanks.
  • Options
    samsung3samsung3 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    Try posting in the Chevrolet Cavalier Starting/Stalling Problems discussion.
  • Options
    sylviaesylviae Member Posts: 31
    I have a Smart buy lease on a 2006 Chev Trailblazer and want to trun it in on another car from GM as my miles are about up (36,000)---how do I get out of it without owing an arm and a leg ??? Also is $370 as month a good lease pmy on a 2008 Impala which lists @ $28500 ??? HELP !!!
  • Options
    Chevrolet Trailblazer Lease Questions would be a good place to start.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    turtle12turtle12 Member Posts: 2
    This is my first time leasing. I have been given a quote of $389/month for an Audi A4 Quattro SE AWD lease with 15K miles/year. But i am not sure about the rest -- I have seen a lot of info on the discussions about residual price, down payment etc. But can't get a straight answer from a dealer about any of that type of detail.

I am trying to do all of this over email or phone and just don't want to pay more than the TMV of the car. thanks
  • Options
    Welcome aboard! :) Our resident lease expert Car_man will be happy to help out if you head to Audi A4 Lease Questions and post the details!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    Looking for a url that approaches auto research from the point of view of absolute needs first (such as specifying mpg, A/C, engine size, doors, etc.) rahter than first picking wagon, sedan, convertible etc. then selecting features. Am I alone in not caring too much about what kind of car, but really care about the features I want in a car. Thanks!
  • Options
    You could try a site specific search using Google or one of the other net search engines.

So, if you wanted a four cylinder vehicle with a 2.4l engine that gets 24 mpg and has AC, you could do use this for a search term:

24 mpg ac 4 cyl 2.4l site:edmunds.com

I don't know of a way of drilling it down with a fancy form or check boxes.

The Top 10 Lists may help.
  • Options
    carylccarylc Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to identify a car in some old pictures of my family. I have them uploaded on my carspace page, but how can I ask someone to look there and maybe identify the car?
  • Options
    carylccarylc Member Posts: 3
    See carylc carspace page for pix
  • Options
    Hi Caryl :) Try posting your request in the Mystery car pix.... discussion. Somebody there is bound to know what you have in those pictures!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    stilllearningstilllearning Member Posts: 1
    I have an older model car that can't get oil changes.
    I was told that the pan is bent and since it is an older car no one will touch it.
    Is there any alternative ways to change my oil?
  • Options
    Stop by Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2, but I will suggest you hunt the junkyards for a replacement oil pan.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    lansalansa Member Posts: 7
    I am wondering the same thing. has anyone here ever used one of these wholesale leasing companies, such as the ones you find on swapalease.com? I spoke to a guy at http://www.powerautoleasing.com/ today. He sounded legit, but I'm still hesitant to do a deal. Interested in some feedback from people here.
  • Options
    ravdravd Member Posts: 3
    Hello.
    I hope to soon sell (or possibly trade in) my 1996 Acura Integra GS-R (70,000 miles). However, currently it needs a new radiator and other parts. My local auto shop has given me a bid of $700 for parts and labor.

Should I have them repair it before I try to sell or trade it? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Options
    It looks like you already found a good place to ask your question: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9aa4e/1004

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I have a 99 Accord EX with 59k well maintained according to the Honda manual. I just came back from a 300 mile round trip to my parents and couldn't help notice while cruising at 70, no head winds, no incline my tachometer jumps from the normal 2500 rpms to about 2800 rpms sporadically and then resumes back to 2500 rpms. Is this normal? For most of the trip the tach remained at 2500 rpms but occasionally would exhibit the above symtoms. I wouldn't call this problematic more an observation.
  • Options
    The Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair discussion would be a good place to post your tach question.
  • Options
    felix9184felix9184 Member Posts: 1
    i cleaned the throttle and egr, put a new pcv valve in, cleaned the crap out of what i could get my grubby hands on, and im not sure why it dies out, my vacuum lines are in good shape. no warning lights come on before the engine dies, and when it dies ALL lights come on like i had just put the key in and turned it on. after the engine dies, i have to wait a few minutes then it will fire up, sometimes i have to press the gas to get it to fire after it has died. i've been messing with it for about a week and a half and im getting nowhere.

any help is greatly appreciated