Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Ordering a Japanese built car is not fun for a dealer and many will simply refuse to do it. Here is the process:

We place the order via fax with our regional distributor. We get a confirmation that they received the order. We hear nothing at all from the region or from Toyota for 3 to 6 months, yet that whole time, the order goes against our allocation so we get fewer Highlanders. The customer usually looses patience 6 weeks into the process and decided to get "something close". Six months later, we get a car that we didn't want and have to sell it to somebody else.

All of this applies to dealers that actually bother to place the order. Because there is no communication after the initial order, the customer has no way to knowing if the dealer actually did what he was supposed to do. There are dealers that will just rely on the customer loosing patience and during from the inbound inventory 6 weeks after the initial order. This isn't ethical, but is common.

There are others here who have had good experiences with ordering. It can be done. You'll need patience and a trustworthy dealership to pull it off. Yes, those do exist.

Were I to advise you, I would suggest making sure you can't get something close to what you really want from inventory, or inbound units. Yes, you'll spend a few dollars on things you didn't want, but you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. You might even get a better deal as incentive to NOT put the dealer through the order process.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    1strider, when you look at new car prices at Edmunds, there's a blurb at the bottom of the pricing screen that says:

Advertising Charges:
    Most vehicle invoices include a legitimate advertising fee levied by either the manufacturer or regional dealer groups. Ad fees can range from less than 1 percent of the vehicle's MSRP to more than 3 percent, depending on region. Metropolitan-area dealers are more likely to charge higher advertising fees than rural dealers. When you comparison shop for a car, be sure to ask the dealers how much the advertising charge is on the vehicle.

There's a bit more in the FAQ:
    Why should I pay advertising fees?

One way to avoid the issue is just to negotiate an "out the door" price. Good luck & have fun shopping.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    quirt904quirt904 Member Posts: 4
    Cliffy, as usual, nails the special order issue.

I'll just add one thing: listen to and observe the salesman carefully the first time you bring up your desire to special order. If he says something similar to what Cliffy says above, I'd say he's being straight with you, whether he takes the order or not. But if he hems and haws, changes the subject, is clearly uncomfortable, or becomes rude and aggressive in proposing alternatives (as happened with me), then leave.

On my third try I found a dealer willing to do a special order. And while it took a botched order by Toyota and eight months to get the vehicle, it happened. The salesman was a straight shooter throughout.

Cliffy, one thing I've never understood in this whole process: ok, toyota confirms the order, then...nothing? During the first four months, I called the salesman three or four times to ask what was happening, when is it scheduled to be built, are the options I selected in place, and most importantly, can the option list be confirmed, and so on. He basically said what you said above--there is no communication between the dealer and the factory, or some intermediary for the factory. Well then, no wonder special orders often come in wrong and the dealer is as surprised as the customer.

Cliffy: if the system (Toyota?)discourages dealers from tracking the build (beyond the confirmation) in order to catch mistakes, my question is, why?
  • Options
    svtcobraconvsvtcobraconv Member Posts: 85
    As always, cliffy1 responds with refreshingly honest information from a dealer's perspective. I, as a buyer, agree 100% with him.

The majority of dealers we talked to wanted nothing to do with ordering one. We ended up factory ordering our HL on Sept. 7 for 2% over invoice from our local dealer, after they understood that we researched available units for several months in three states, and would not be happy with something close. They also mentioned that this would "use up" one of their vehicle allocations, but wanted our business. They were honest about the leadtime, perparing us to expect a wait of up to six months or more. We were honest with them, indicating that we really didn't need the HL right away anyway.

I wouldn't advise factory ordering one unless you really want it configured with very specific and unusually combined options, and obviously are perpared to wait.
  • Options
    peterb9peterb9 Member Posts: 5
    I was told by two dealers that they can not do special orders, and after reading what Cliffy and several others have written, I didn't believe the dealers. I called the telephone number on the official website of Toyota and was told by them that you can't special order a Highlander from the factory!! So who do YOU believe??? They have a Q & A section that addresses the question and I didn't believe that , then called and spoke to a person and was told the same thing....NO CAN DO. Check it out for yourselves.
  • Options
    hylndr61hylndr61 Member Posts: 51
    I recently completed installation of the optional fender flare kit onto my 2002 Highlander. The photos can be viewed at: http://homepage.mac.com/hylndr61

I found the installation to be easily accomplished by anyone with average mechanical skills. I have included a link within the above web page where the installation instructions can be downloaded and printed.

The fender flares came pre-painted with all supplies needed for installation. The best price I could find was at http://www.toyparts.net (1-888-435-8022). The kit was $499 with $20 added for UPS shipping. It arrived in about a week with all the items secured in a box made specially to protect the contents (expensive!).

Installation questions can be directed to hylndr61@mac.com

• Options
    ehl3ehl3 Member Posts: 30
    It has been a while since I posted, but perhaps we are one of the few that successfully factory ordered a HL.

Realities:

Ordered end of May, 2001, arrived early Oct, 2001 as a 2002 model (slightly over 4 months).

Price was about $167 over invoice (I say "about" because the pricing changed slightly for 2002 and I had ordered the much maligned 2001 center console, which came in standard and improved for 2002).

The dealer (Toyota of Hollywood - FLORIDA) kept me informed the whole time and estimated 3-1/2 months until delivery, but expected it to arrive as a 2001. I put $500 down and wrote a personal check for the remaining $26,000, incl tax, when it arrived.

Based on local SoFLa inventory, I figure we avoided the cost of the following which I did not want/need/want to pay for: alloy wheels, ToyoGuard, tinted windows (titanium film is far more effective), power seats, etc.

Did order it with V6, port leather, tow prep and running lamps - basically a stripped V6, 2wd with leather and a couple of relatively minor, but important to me, options, including interior and exterior colors, NOTHING ELSE I had to pay for.

To the best of my research, that vehicle DOES NOT EXIST unless special ordered. Of perhaps 200 V6s I looked at at six dealers, one had steel wheels, all had tinted windows, one had manual seats and most wanted an arm and leg for ToyoGuard, tough many admitted it costs them about $50-75.

To me, it comes down to price sensitivity, degree of patience and desire for/against certain options. Somewhere, there is a dealer that will order it if you want them to and you'll probably pay less of a markup, as well.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    regularguyregularguy Member Posts: 29
    EHL3 - Why do you say that a customer doing a factory order would likely pay less of a mark-up? The salesman I talked to last night said they could do a factory order, but they sure didn't like it. I'm wondering why they should get LESS mark-up on such a deal than they would for unloading a vehicle sitting on their lot. Seems to me it would be the other way around.
  • Options
    You are correct. At least that is the way every dealership I have worked for views it.
  • Options
    peterb9,

I wonder if perhaps the people you are talking to might have been confused by the terminology.

To me, a "special" order might be construed by someone to be some option or color combination that is not shown as available.

A "factory" order, as I think of it, is a valid combination of options and colors for a specific vehicle that is perfectly legitimate, although not necessarily common.
  • Options
    mccannrmccannr Member Posts: 13
    We learned too late that the factory rack adjusting knobs can vibrate loose. Does anyone know where we can get replacements? I can't find them at "Toyota Guys"
  • Options
    llofgrenllofgren Member Posts: 129
    I loved doing my factory order and got my HL just as I wanted...nothing more and nothing less (I am glad I did not get the privacy glass....see post #4690 above). See my post in "The Toyota Highlander Club" under "How Much Did You Pay" post #278.
    I believe Toyota DOES do factory orders....you just have to find a salesman who is comfortable with it. I even changed my order (slightly) 2 weeks after placing it and it did not seem to effect how long it took. It really helped me keep the cost of mine down.....2002, V6, AWD for a little over $25,000.
  • Options
    1strider1strider Member Posts: 9
    thank you to jmiker & Steve for the response. after posting i did see the explanation of ad fees on edmunds as well as another site.i made the mistake of asking first then doing the research.
  • Options
    sdhillonsdhillon Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,

Just purchased the new rear bumper guards for my new 2002 Hl but had a heck of a time installing them. First, the included bolts did not thread into the predrilled holes. ALso, I had tow latches on either side of the railing to which the brackets for the bumper guards attach. I had to take those off.
    THen I discover, the muffler and heat shield obstruct the bracket which is to be bolted to the railing in the undercarriage of the HL.

Any fixes? It is not as easy as they advertise.
    ALso, if I decide to get the tow hitch, where will that bolt into. Can the tow hitch and bumper guards coexist?

thanks,

Sonu Dhillon
  • Options
    Only quoting my experience -- in the two dealers that would quote a factory order price, both were made by the Fleet Manager or Internet Manager. In both cases, the markups they quoted were under $500 last May, a price no one would touch for an in-stock or "diverted" vehicle then here in South Florida.

While it has been widely quoted that factory orders offset the dealer's future allocation, my guess is that the lower markup is due to a combination of the person I was dealing with, their incentive to hit volume targets in a competitive market, and, possibly, their expectation that markups would drop as time passed. I have also since done additional business with this dealer, but they had no way of knowing that potential at the time.

Perhaps the statement is biased by my familiarity with the truck rental/leasing and car leasing markets, where factory orders are the norm.

There are around 10 dealers within 40 miles of me, so there is a ton of competition, and we were quoted anywhere from sticker plus $1000 plus full price for ToyoGuard to the invoice plus less than $200 we ultimately ordered at.

Comparing the final price between a semi-loaded, but available vehicle that was heavily marked up to that of a just-what-I wanted factory order made the decision a no brainer.

To note, there have been at least two other posts, from other parts of the country, that had nearly identical order and delivery dates, so the timing does not seem to be regionally biased.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    Hylndr91 - Great pictures! Your HL looks really sharp, especially with the newly added fender flares. What color is your HL? I really like it, it seemss like the kind of color that looks good even when it's dirty. Like silver or gold.

Congrats on a job well done!!
  • Options
    I feel so comfortable on this board (even though I'm not an HL owner, but a Camry owner) that I'm going to throw out an observation of mine and see what you guys think. It seems to me that when i read an "objective" review about Toyota cars (especially the Camry), there are always negatively worded comments about the cars being bland or boring. They speak of the car in glowing terms, then knock it for not being "exciting". I don't get it. When did reliability and good build quality get to be negative issues? I scratch my head every time I read reviews where it appears that Toyota is being knocked for making reliable cars. They are called appliances, boring, bland, etc, in spite of all the good qualities that they possess.

Now I'm the first to admit that my 2000 Camry is not a head turner. It does not have the eye catching style of the Passat or the new Altima. However, that is very subjective. Moreover, I have had zero problems with this car, it has been flawless for the last 2 years and 24,000 miles. It has a great performing V6 engine and it does everything it is supposed to do very well. Why it is always criticized so, with people harping on it's plainer style, I have no idea. Even the Solara, which I feel is a very stylish, sporty looking car, gets some of the same criticism.

Now, I am of the opinion that the best looking generation of Camrys was the 92-96 models. Personally, I don't care for the new 2002 exterior style, but the interior is very nice. I am not interested in the new Camry for my next car because the styling does not appeal to me. However, I still think it's a great car.

I like "stylish" vehicles as much as the next person and I like the Passat and the new Altima. But those cars have issues of their own that would cause me to hesitate before buying them if I were ready to buy right now. This is why I began looking into the Highlander, it seems to have everything that I need and want, I just never considered an SUV for myself. But I really like the way the HL looks and the features is has available are very appealing. Plus, it's a Toyota, so I know that I'd be getting a well-made, high quality, reliable vehicle.

I guess the bottom line is that it seems to me that Toyota gets a lot of rather unfair criticism focused on only one area of a vehicle, the most subjective and personal one: style. These criticisms almost overshadow all the many good qualities that the Toyota cars have in some of these reviews. When did reliable, durable cars become boring? If that's the case, then I guess I'm a real stick-in-the-mud, because I value reliability. My idea of excitement is not being stranded and calling for road service or racking up frequent flyer miles with the service department. I like a car that handles well, but also provides some level of comfort and a smooth ride. And I also want to be able to depend on it.

The Altima needs a bit more refinement for me to be truly content with it. The Passat is a also great car, but some of those horror stories scare me. I would be too upset if I traded in my car for a tempermental vehicle that gave me lots of problems within the first year. True enough, that could happen with any car, but the chances of that happening are slimmer with a Toyota, in my view. I have a lot of confidence in Toyota and their products. And that means a lot.

I have had this opinion for a long time, but never dared to voice it before now. When I read some of the other boards, it seems that this view of mine would be very unpopular and I didn't want to get flamed or anything. But I think it needs to be said. I guess it all depends on one's priorities, but I do think it's unfair to pick on Toyota this way just because there's nothing else left to criticize. That's life, I guess.

Sorry to get off on a rant here. But I'd love to know if anyone else has noticed this. Please forgive the long post.

Regards,
    SilverCrown
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliment! I think the flares make the vehicle appear "beefier" My color is called Blue Stone Metallic. Photographs do not do it justice. In the bright sunlight is is just beautiful. When I first started shopping for a Highlander I was told by the dealer that Toyota predicted this would be one of the least popular colors and so the dealer ordered accordingly. From what I have read on different forums I believe that it has turned out to be one of the most popular colors.

Concerning your post about the criticism of Toyota styling... I experienced this after purchasing my Highlander. Co-workers described it as "plain", "quirky", "minivan-ish", e.t.c. Styling is completely subjective. I personally love the styling of the Highlander and try not to notice the green cast of envy on their faces.
  • Options
    tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Applause

I have bought Hondas since the mid-80s and was very Honda loyal. I always knew Toyotas were good cars, but like the masses I liked the Honda style better plus never had any problems. I bought the very first S2000 in SC back in '99, and to make a long story short, my experience with this car and Honda led to me grazing to the Toyota dealer. I drove the '02 Avalon, Camry, and Highlander ultimately making the decision for the Highlander (although I wanted them all). I guess you can say that I like a Toyota's "karma" better.

I totally agree about feeling comfortable on this board. With the S2000 forums (and Nissan's freshalloy.com)the members were totally anti-any-other-brand, all other car's besides ours s***, etc. Probably more attributed to age, but real enthusiasts know that other manufacturers still make good cars. For example I'm sure that the new Altima is a good car and is certainly attractive, but I still don't want one. However, because I don't want it I'm not going to bash it.

Toyota makes good cars, period. So good that owners of other makes and magazine writers can only complain about a Toyota's appearance? Whatever.

And by the way, the Honda S2000 is not all that!
  • Options
    I am another that has never been crazy about Toyota's bland styling, interior and exterior (or Honda's either for that matter). We had a heckuva time trying to overcome the irrational sensation that what we really wanted was a Nissan Pathfinder, despite the reality that all objective rationale pointed to the HL.

While objectivity ultimately won out, I have never been a particularly rational car purchaser and there are days when I must admit a bit of regret over having forsaken the 250HP Nissan engine and, per my eye, much more interesting styling, particularly in the interior. Only a very tiny bit of regret, though. Can't see turning the Cobra in for a Supra anytime soon...

Blasphemy on the board, I'm sure.
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I seen you're comments on the Passat board over the last few months. We've got a 2002 Passat V6 (I had a 2000 before) and a 2001 Highlander. Drive them both, back to back and see what you like. My wife loves visability the height of the Highlander provides and since she drives only 3.5 miles to work and back, she has no interest in a "drivers car." On the other hand, to me the Passat is so much more enjoyable to drive, there is no comparison (except after a snow storm, the AWD is great). I've had no problems with either of my Passats and other than the infamous glove box rattle, the Highlander's been fine as well. Also, look at how long you're going to keep the vehicle. The Passat's new 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty can give you some solid reassurance. In addition, as I remember, you're not in a big hurry, so way not wait until fall and look at the restyled Accord and the upcoming Mazda 6. Both should have excellent long term reliability and will be more fun to drive than a Highlander.
  • Options
    whatever1whatever1 Member Posts: 7
    Wife's highlander has the bridgestone dueler h/t p225/70r16 101s 687's. Can't seem to find much on the web yet about the tire. Anyone else, what tire pressure on you running under normal conditions, they (to me) look low at the rec. 30 psi. Thanks Bob
  • Options
    pdalpsherpdalpsher Member Posts: 136
    LOL your post was right on. I zeroed in on my Camry in '90 just for its reliability and great gas mileage. Although I looked around several times in the last few years for a replacement I didn't find anything I liked better until I drove the Highlander.

I admit I didn't look at vehicles other than Toyotas and although they may not be the sleekest on the block I don't need the excitement of getting stranded somewhere. I bought a 2001 Highlander and I was only comfortable with a first-year model because it was a Toyota.
  • Options
    skyrebskyreb Member Posts: 129
    Styling is so subjective. I believe, however, that, I will call it conservative styling, is more enduring and lasting. My other vehicle is a 1992 Acura. It appears as modern as a 2002 (in my judgement). And, for that reason I maintain it well, and keep it looking new, even though it has 120,000 miles on it. Compare that to a Pontiac Aztek .... .very trendy (yes, and ugly). That style will be outdated as quickly as fins were in the 1959's. Ford Tonka truck style, GM's changable truck style .... they are trendy too. I consider some auto styling to be very much like women's fashions ...ever changing, appealing to those that want the "latest design." I cannot afford to be trendy. When I spend $28,000 on a vehicle, I need it to be stylish for 10 years or more. I paid just under half that amount for my first house, and it is still standing, and appreciating. Not so with a vehicle.
    Thats my opinion. Happy (conservative styling) to all HL'ing owners.
  • Options
    One's opinion of a car being boring, exciting, out-of-date, cutting edge, etc., although usually quite subjective, is an attribute that should not be ignored by someone reviewing a vehicle. Styling is, and always will be, (in at least our lifetimes) an extremely important facet of the American auto industry and how it relates to sales. (Check the sales of the Pontiac Aztec.) The majority of people who buy a Camry purchase it because of its reputation of safety and reliability, and are not looking for something exciting. I'm sure to many people the car is indeed "bland". Toyota wouldn't mess with a good thing. It being "bland", for the target segment of the buying public, is one of its positive features in terms of sales.
    We, like ehl3, have a Cobra Mustang. In our opinion, that car cannot be beat for the "excitement" factor for the money. In parallel, the Toyota Highlander is the best SUV for us as we researched all SUV's on the market today, fufilling that niche of our transportation needs.
    I agree with tommyg12. There is never a point in bashing someone because they like something we don't. Opinions on how something looks, or appeals to us, should always be welcomed. Doing so makes life interesting.
  • Options
    brad_22brad_22 Member Posts: 154
    Thanks for posting that link and number. I've been trying to get fender flares for a while! Your Highlander looks sharp with them.

I noticed you had to take off your mudguards; I'll have to do the same. Anything complicated about that? Looks like it will involve a hex wrench.

SDhillon - Another post-er installed a rear bumper guard and has experience with it. Check the HL Accessories and Modifications topic for his post. I have the bumper guard but I haven't installed it yet (waiting for the WAAG frontrunner). Is your guard WAAG as well?
  • Options
    This is great, I love open discussions like this!! I am also glad to see that there are others who share some of my opinions. I love researching and reading about different kinds of cars. Deciding on which to buy is difficult. However, I have decided to ignore some of the more subjective comments in car reviews, because ultimately, I have to live with my choice, so it had better be a good one for ME. And as the saying goes, "one man's trash is another man's treasure." Everyone has different priorities and no one should be knocked for that. That's what makes Edmunds' Town Hall so great, we all have a forum in which to voice our views and opinions with respect.

Keep the comments coming!
  • Options
    Here's something else that I would like to share with this board. I posted this yesterday on the "Do Women Love SUVs" board and got some good responses so far. I'd like to see what people on this board think. It's kind of long, so please forgive me (I was on a roll yesterday for some reason). Here it is:

"I currently have a Toyota Camry which has served me well for the past 2 years. Lately, I've been thinking about my next vehicle and I decided that I wanted a good looking sedan with better handling, but still with a smooth ride and good reliability, plus I prefer a V6 engine. This combination seemed hard to find with non-luxury name plates in my price range. The closest to this is the VW Passat, but the reliability question is a sticking point. I'm in no hurry, I plan to keep my car another year perhaps, but I'm still thinking ahead.

I noticed the Toyota Highlander when it first came out and thought "if I were looking for an SUV, that's what I would get." However, I never allowed myself to even consider an SUV, that idea was not even on the map. I recently took another look at it and thought "maybe ..." It's a car-based SUV, it seems to have all of the features that I want in a vehicle and if I watch the options, it could be affordable. If it were a car, I would not hesitate. Because it's an SUV, I'm still mulling it over. Do I dare crossover to SUV land? (no pun intended)

I know that many people buy SUVs for different reasons. I never thought about it because I didn't think I would need the extra room or AWD or anything like that. I don't often need to haul stuff around or have kids and I guess I thought it would be kind of a waste for me to get an SUV. Mostly, it's just me driving by myself.

Lately, though, I'm thinking differently. The extra room and cargo capacity could come in handy on those times when I need it. So I won't have to borrow my sister's minivan on those occasions. The AWD could provide better handling and confidence in bad weather. And although I'm usually the only passenger, I sometimes do have to haul other people around, especially family.

Reading this topic, I was surprised that so many women love SUVs. For the reasons that I mentioned above, maybe it would be a good choice for me. It would be an adjustment, but it could be a smart move.

What do you guys think? Is it wasteful for someone like me to buy an SUV? Would it make more sense to buy a midsize passenger car like my Camry? Or are my reasons for considering an SUV for my next vehicle pretty common these days? I am very interested in your opinions, so let it rip!"

What I'm most interested in on this board, is the main reasons why HL owners decided to buy an SUV over a car, and why the HL specifically. I'm wondering if there are any HL owners, who bought an SUV for different reasons than the norm. Or who, like me, don't have kids or lots of stuff to haul around all the time, but still liked having an SUV.
  • Options
    paulekpaulek Member Posts: 16
    Hello Silvercrown

I drove a mini-van for 15 years and loved the view of the road that it gave me. When my daughter graduated college and I did not have to move her in and out the dorm twice a year, I thought my need for a mini-van was over. I bought a 98 camry and love it. However as time went by and people age, my lower back was hurting. The low seating position in a passenger car was puting stress on my back, but I did not want another minivan or a truck or a truck bassed SUV. Then came Highlander. This is what I waited for. Toyota quality, Camry feel, quiet ride and a high seating position. A combination hard to beat. Like you said there are times when you need space.
    If you like it, buy it you wont regret it. My HL has been ordered and I am patiently waiting. My estimated delivery date is late March or early April. Meanwhile I still love my Camry AND if I could put an SUV seat in it I would not sell it! Toyota quality beets any GM, FORD or Dodge I ever had.
    Good luck
  • Options
    pasqualpasqual Member Posts: 22
    I want to purchase an Highlander 4Cyl 4x2 with Vehicle Skid Control.Can anyone tell me if it would suffice going up an inclined driveway having at least 4 inches of snow.I don't want to purchase a 4x4 because of the gas mileage,I'm hoping the the VSC will prevent the tires from slipping.
  • Options
    tmc1417tmc1417 Member Posts: 11
    I too have a 98 Camry, and my wife has a 01 HL now with almost 10,000 mi. This is our 4th Camry and we have loved them. The biggest gripe I have with Toyotas is the seating. The Camry has been comfortable but not real supportive for the back or thighs. The HL for me (I'm 6-1) is OK for short trips but anything over 1 hour, my thigh becomes uncomfortable. We have the power seat and have tried everything but to no avail. I think the seat is too short for most people over 6feet tall. Has anyone else had this problem after sitting in the drivers seat for long periods. Other than this it has been a wonderful vehicle.
  • Options
    bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    The primary reason we bought a HL is to carry our mountain bikes and gear inside the vehicle. My wife and I like to travel to places that have hiking/mountain bike trails and when the HL was released last winter we knew this was the vehicle for us. Finally, here was a car based V6 SUV with the right proportions and cargo carrying capacity. Prior to taking delivery, I was somewhat apprehensive as to whether or not I would like this type of vehicle. Well, my doubts were unfounded; this is a great vehicle that has good performance, is quiet and comfortable and I particularly like the commanding view of the road. The only downside is the driving style adjustment one has to make, coming from a long line of sports coupes. Now all I have to do is order my interior bike rack and wait for spring to arrive and it the trails.
  • Options
    The mud flaps remove very easily. There are just three screws securing them in position. You will need a metric allen wrench (4mm?) The three holes left behind are used in securing the new fender flare using the old screws.
  • Options
    maxintoshmaxintosh Member Posts: 39
    Vehicle Skid Control is for maintaining stability in high-speed manuevers when accelerating, coasting, or braking above about 10 mph. It's meant for emergency handling and to prevent skidding, spinning, and sliding when manuevering in poor weather (like snow and rain).

It will not, however, help you get up a driveway.

VSC =/= Traction Control

I believe all Highlanders come with Traction Control, which is comparable to VW/Audi/Porsche's ASR. In 4x2 vehicles, it will brake one of the front wheels if it begins to spin under acceleration. In AWD vehicles, the AWD system transfers power between the front and rear axels and Traction Control transfers power between sides of the car.

Traction Control only works under 10 mph and helps reduce slippage when accelerating from a stop. It may help you get up your driveway.

VSC won't do anything for entering your driveway unless you enter it at above 10 mph, which is unlikely. However, I highly reccomend it as an option anyway since it can be a lifesaver in sudden highway maneuvers and by preventing lateral acceleration helps keep SUVs from rolling over.
  • Options
    All Highlanders do not come with traction control. Included with the VSC option is the TRACS.
  • Options
    wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    I too am wondering if the HL has traction control? I asked my sales person but she really had no clue. So what is that button down by the shifter marked SNOW ECT or something like that?(2002 V6 2WD base)

Steve
  • Options
    Jump starts the transmission from second gear to prevent slipping in snow and ice. It works very nicely, too, I had a chance to use it recently.
  • Options
    Here's the deal with Traction Control on 2WD Highlanders.

You gotta get VSC to get TRACS. You won't get TRACS if you have the limited-slip differential. TRACS can be disabled on 2WD vehicles with VSC only (it is always on if equipped with a 4WD vehicle)
  • Options
    troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    Does anybody have the numbers on the Highlander Limited Lease? Specifically, what is the money factor, residual, etc... for a 02 Highlander Limited? For those of you who have purchased a Highlander Limited for, could you let me know your lease terms? Thanks!
  • Options
    ryandoughertyryandougherty Member Posts: 11
    Hi all!

Just bought an '02 Highlander 4cyl (non-limited) with the following:
    - Quick Order
    - Tow Prep (TO Package)
    - RS3200 Alarm (Port-Installed, otherwise would have skipped)
    - Roof Rack

I bought this car for about $23,800! I'm extremely pleased with the price and our sales person was excellent. They also gave me a great trade-in price on my 99 Accord, even though it took about 3 days of bargaining...

Haven't taken delivery yet. Monday will be the day! I'm looking forward to the 4-doors, excellent gas mileage, and the quiet SUV qualities the Highlander has.

I bought the Highlander over a BMW 325i. I know, two very different cars, but I'm in Real Estate and I think the Highlander is a more practical choice, even though I do lust for the BMW. My lease on the HL is about $85.00 less than the BMW, so I hope I made a wise choice!

I'll let everyone know my first impressions and opinions after I get some time behind the wheel.

Ryan
  • Options
    little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    You just said the magic word - "practical". You clients will appreciate the roominess of the HL when you bring them out to see real estate listing. Besides, I never heard of a home buyer buying a house because the agent has a BMW.
  • Options
    bojack1bojack1 Member Posts: 23
    I picked up a set of Toyota Highlander take off 16" steel wheels for the winter months to use with winter tires.
    I washed the car today and noticed that these wheels have an inside lip to them that hold water.
    Went out for 15 min ride on the interstate stopped and looked at the wheels and they still have a small amount of water in this inside lip.
    My biggest concern is this water freezing and making a tire balance problem (and rusting). Anyone else notice this.Perhaps this is a desgin flaw.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Another question for the board. One of the hosts on the "Do Women Love SUVs" board suggested the RX300 as an alternative choice to the HL. Her comment was that a used RX would cost about the same as a new HL. I asked her what would the advantages of getting a used Lexus vs a new HL, besides the obvious, such as better service, etc. I haven't received a reply yet.

I have read posts where people have said that the RX doesn't cost that much more than a loaded HL. I don't know about that, it looks as if it could get significantly more expensive to have the same options, but I haven't really researched it yet. I really think that the Lexus is too rich for my blood for the near future.

My question is: did any of you HL owners also consider the RX300 as an alternative? If so, what made you choose the HL instead? Or if you chose the RX, what were your reasons? Are there any compelling reasons to choose one over the other? Besides price, of course. I just can't see what a used RX would have over a brand new loaded HL. They are essentially the same vehicle. I also read a review in Consumer Reports where they rated the HL slightly higher than the RX. Surprising, but true. It's a very small difference, though.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I plan to test drive an HL tomorrow. I can't wait to see what it's like. I'll post my impressions afterwards.
  • Options
    bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    I just completed my 1,600 km (1,000 miles) break-in period. Should I get an oil change now or wait for the Toyota recommended change at 8,000 km (5,000 miles).

Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    SilverCrown,
    I just purchased a 02 Camry and am very happy with it. However, before I bought it I was seriously looking at the VW Jetta and the Highlander. ( I had a Nissan Maxima and wanted something a little different.) I spent some time reading posts about the VW on edmunds and vwvortex and came to the conclusion that I didn't want to deal with the possible maintainence issues. So I was all set to buy the Highlander. Test drove it and was happy with it. (Although I could tell a difference in the ride with the Lexus RX300, which I would have purchased if I could afford it.) But right before I went in to sign the contract, the salesman suggested I test drive the Camry. It fit like a glove.

Now 4 months later, I am regretting buying it. Not because it's a bad car--far from it, but because it's like all the cars I've had in the past. The reason I talked myself into the Camry was because I drive mostly highway and the Camry is suppose to be quieter than the HL. Also, when I first drove the HL, it does feel a little different than a sedan. But now I think I might not care about the difference. Luckily, I have a friend who just purchased one so I'll drive his around for a day and see if I really want to switch. I also think it will be easier for my nephews to get in the back since there is no "hump" in the middle for them to go over. (The interior of my Camry is beige and I'm a little anal about the car getting dirty.)

As you can tell from my user name, I'm just being myself. :)
  • Options
    kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    I frequent the RX300 discussion and check in here to read up on any new information...

I chose a certified pre-owned AWD RX300 over a Highlander for various reasons. One of the reasons was dealership service (Lexus loaner vehicles, car washes with every service, etc). Another was the CPO warranty of 3-years/100,000 miles with roadside assistance. And pricing on the pre-owned RX was several thousand less than a HL Limited. Besides that, I just liked the looks of the RX over the HL but both are still great vehicles nonetheless.

Downsides are, obviously, mileage and wear - but there are lots of clean, low mileage CPO RXs out there that one just has to look for closely which I believe I happen to have.
  • Options
    dniehusdniehus Member Posts: 83
    I also gave this comparison considerable thought before purchasing my HL last spring. I prefer the styling of the RX300. However, the HL is larger. A key factor for me was comparative dealer service costs. I'm glad I inquired, because I had just about decided to go with the RX300. I compared the service schedules and dealer prices for recommended service. They weren't even close. If I recall correctly, say, 15,000 service at Toyota was around $450 and at Lexus was around $1200. That's a lot of extra money for a free loaner car. So, I figured my actual cost of car ownership would be far less for the HL. At that point, I no longer considered purchasing a Lexus.
  • Options
    pdalpsherpdalpsher Member Posts: 136
    My dealer does a 1000 mile oil change (complementary). I don't know why they do this since the manual recommends 5k but it does give them a chance to look at the vehicle and create a customer service relationship with the buyer. It made me feel better having it done.

At the 1k change they put a reminder sticker on the window with a 3k interval. At that regular change I mentioned that I planned on keeping my HL 10 years like my Camry and with that they recommended regular oil changes at 3k versus the 5k in the manual.

That is 33 oil changes per 100k miles vs only 20 if I do them every 5k. At $24 that is just over $300 in additional maintenance. A small price to pay since I'm planning on keeping it for a long time and I really love my HL.

I kept the 3k schedule on my Camry and it served me well 223k miles with no major problems. My HL is 4000+ now since August so I don't think I'll hit 200k again in 10 years LOL
  • Options
    imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    In my area, the HL are hard to find (palm beach). I went to several dealerships and in the beginning of January 02 was quoted about $32500 for a HL (SR5 with upgrades), but could not test drive one because there was NONE to drive. My choice would have to be ordered. I would get my first oil change free, no loaners. Next I looked at the '02 RX300. I did research online and there were plenty on the lot near me, so I test drove a couple (nav, non-nav). I went on the internet and my best price was $34500 with sunroof, leather, 6 disc CD, cargo mats, liners, etc., etc. Lexus is offering $2000 off their premium plus package, so sticker was $38K but I got the deal for $34500(non-nav, FWD). I get first couple of services free, then free loaners, car washes, etc. Plus, if I wanted to save money, I have read that several people get their Lexus cars serviced at Toyota dealers. So that is an option. Anyway, I have been in your research and review situation and I opted for the Lexus and I am glad that I moved up to a Luxury car from my Odyssey. I love having all the extras that I really did not need, but they make it more worth while. I would get a new RX300 since the prices are so close. Just my .02 cents. Christine
  • Options
    hmamontovhmamontov Member Posts: 10
    Hello

Is there anybody from Miami, FL? I want to buy HL but dealers here are very greedy. The prices on dealerships are awful. I've built HL on the Toyota's web site and it showed me the price $33000, the invoice for the car like this is about $29000. There is some difficulties. My wife likes two-tone HL, so I guess we need to order it. So the question is how much might it cost here in Miami? Maybe somebody knows the best dealer around 50 miles from Miami?
    My strategy is going to be: send e-mails to every Toyota dealer in Miami area (or 50 miles around Miami) and then go to that one who get me the lowest price and try to negotiate etc. Maybe somebody can advice another strategy? I'm not very experienced in this.

Thanks,
    Herman